• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

KG, Paul Pierce traded to NETS

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Danny Ainge clearly is in rebuilding mode. The Celtics might be in the cellar for a little bit, but this most likely was a trade that had to have been made.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I said there are obviously going to be some grown pains. Can't really speak on his desire to play, but if he does want to he could always pull a Bill Russell and be a player/coach, assuming he is in a position to help the team win at all.

If you have to step into a first year head coaching position, this type of team is absolutely perfect for the job. The hardest part with the on paper talent level on this team will be managing egos. I don't necessarily think he'll have to do entirely too much in-game coaching aside from managing rotations with as many quality veterans he has on the squad.

If things don't go well early on, they could run into problems. KG and Pierce are Kidd's peers. I don't think it will be an issue, but it could be difficult for those guys to completely respect Kidd as an authority figure, given that Kidd is no more qualified to be the HC than they are.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great trade for the Celtics.

If the Nets don't make it to the ECF at least, this will go down as a bust trade for them.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyone who thought the Nets were legit contenders last year was out of their mind.

This deal is nothing more than an extension of the Joe Johnson deal. The Nets are giving future assets for aging players with big contracts. They are now well into the luxury tax and still do not have enough horses to come out of the East.

Mikhail Prokorov is starting to look like the Daniel Snyder of the NBA. Slow down. Desperation play here.

It gives them one year, maybe two. They need more pieces around em.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great trade for the Celtics.

If the Nets don't make it to the ECF at least, this will go down as a bust trade for them.

All the draft picks the got with be late 1st rounders, right? You basically don't get much value in those. You get two huge contracts of Humphries and an aging Wallace. They didn't anything of value.

The Nets got the better of it, but the C's did awful.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All the draft picks the got with be late 1st rounders, right? You basically don't get much value in those. You get two huge contracts of Humphries and an aging Wallace. They didn't anything of value.

The Nets got the better of it, but the C's did awful.

I disagree 100%.

The Nets got the better end today, maybe, but they are also going to be paying about 80 million of luxury tax next year. That is a crazy price for a team that isn't guaranteed to get out of the first round of the playoffs.

The draft picks that the C's acquired may, or may not turn into useful players. The best thing that this trade does for them is allowing them to get into the lottery in 2014, and yes, they are going to have the opportunity to stockpile young players over the next few drafts.

Next up, the C's should trade Rondo, either for a possible 2014 lottery pick or a young player and a couple picks. Rondo is not a franchise building block.

TurnUpTheHeat

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree 100%.

The Nets got the better end today, maybe, but they are also going to be paying about 80 million of luxury tax next year. That is a crazy price for a team that isn't guaranteed to get out of the first round of the playoffs.

The draft picks that the C's acquired may, or may not turn into useful players. The best thing that this trade does for them is allowing them to get into the lottery in 2014, and yes, they are going to have the opportunity to stockpile young players over the next few drafts.

Next up, the C's should trade Rondo, either for a possible 2014 lottery pick or a young player and a couple picks. Rondo is not a franchise building block.

Agree with your entire post.
I don't think he cares about paying the luxury $$.
Here's the thing though.
There is no reason to think that the (in no order) Heat, Bulls, Pacers won't be 3 of the top 4 seed in the East next year.
That leaves 1 spot to get HC in round 1.
People are saying to limit the minutes of the Nets older players, but if they do, it will cost them a lot of regular season wins which could drop them to a 5-6 seed which increases their chances to lose in round 1.

If you play them big minutes, it limits their chances to be fresh and healthy for the playoffs.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[/B]

Agree with your entire post.
I don't think he cares about paying the luxury $$.
Here's the thing though.
There is no reason to think that the (in no order) Heat, Bulls, Pacers won't be 3 of the top 4 seed in the East next year.
That leaves 1 spot to get HC in round 1.
People are saying to limit the minutes of the Nets older players, but if they do, it will cost them a lot of regular season wins which could drop them to a 5-6 seed which increases their chances to lose in round 1.

If you play them big minutes, it limits their chances to be fresh and healthy for the playoffs.

Good points.

Also, if the Celts did poorly to get 3 latish first rounders for KG and Pierce, what do you think they could have gotten?

The Cavs were offering 2 second rounders for Pierce. You aren't getting a lottery pick for these guys.

Also, the Nets are putting all of their eggs in one basket here. If they fail to win over the next two years, then what assets will they have to build around? Odds are stacked against them big time.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Congratulations, Nets fans! Farewell, Truth and KG. You will be sorely missed.

The Nets will be in contention for a championship for sure. Boston will probably sniff the playoffs. I mean, even with Truth and KG we only won 41 games last season. Word.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points.

Also, if the Celts did poorly to get 3 latish first rounders for KG and Pierce, what do you think they could have gotten?

The Cavs were offering 2 second rounders for Pierce. You aren't getting a lottery pick for these guys.

Also, the Nets are putting all of their eggs in one basket here. If they fail to win over the next two years, then what assets will they have to build around? Odds are stacked against them big time.

The more I think about this trade, the less I see of an actual contending team for the Nets here.

How is this team all that much different from Boston last year? Rondo is a better PG than DWill, and the Celtics played defense.....something DWill and Joe Johnson do not do. I don't see how this team is really any better than the Celts were last season. I guess it will depend on the legs of KG and Pierce and the bench. Hopefully Lopez can take pressure off KG.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that most NBA players are going to think twice about going into the paint against Brooklyn now.

Crotchrocker

Dominant Species
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets:

C) Brooke Lopez, Mason Plumlee
PF) Kevin Garnett, Andray Blatche
SF) Paul Pierce, Marshon Brooks
SG) Joe Johnson, Jason Terry
PG) Deron Williams, CJ Watson

Anybody who doesn't think this team will contend for a title is sniffing glue. The synergies and dynamic culture change that Truth and KG add to this team will be apparent. They will struggle defensively against some teams but with KG out there to quarterback the defense, players who rest on that end like Joe J will think twice about being lazy. Scoring WILL NOT be a problem. They have post scoring, perimeter scoring and the game's best closer in Truth. Look at the scoring off the bench in Blatche, Brooks and Terry. They will play hard for Kidd who has been handed the keys to the Golden Bugatti. Word.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is that most NBA players are going to think twice about going into the paint against Brooklyn now.

I don't think anyone is scared of Brook Lopez. Roy Hibbert is a game changer. Lopez is a big softie who can block a few shots.

KG is awesome. I love him as a player and a leader, but how much does he have left to give?

The Nets will be a top 5 seed in the East, but if they have to face the Bulls or Pacers in the first round, they are going to be sent home packing. The Knicks may still have a better regular season record than the Nets although I don't necessarily think they are a better team.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and how free agency changes the other teams in the East.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree 100%.

Absolutely, 100%, do not give up rondo.

heatmyshorts

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets:

Anybody who doesn't think this team will contend for a title is sniffing glue. The synergies and dynamic culture change that Truth and KG add to this team will be apparent. They will struggle defensively against some teams but with KG out there to quarterback the defense, players who rest on that end like Joe J will think twice about being lazy. Scoring WILL NOT be a problem. They have post scoring, perimeter scoring and the game's best closer in Truth. Look at the scoring off the bench in Blatche, Brooks and Terry. They will play hard for Kidd who has been handed the keys to the Golden Bugatti. Word.
A formidable team on paper. We have to see how well they play together. Kidd will have a lot in his hands. Can he command respect with these players? Also it may take a season for these players to get comfortable playing with each other.

I hope the Heat counters these blockbuster trades by acquiring a decent rebounding center.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nets:

If KG and Pierce can impact the rest of the team defensively, then maybe they will be better than I am thinking. Here is what I see when I look at that roster:

Deron Williams- overrated and selfish scoring PG
Joe Johnson- Overrated scorer who needs the ball in his hands and won't get it all that much
Pierce- Good player, but on his last legs
Garnett- Great player on his last legs- how many minutes can he give?
Lopez- Soft, finesse center who can score and rebound, but not much else

Bench- JET- best days are behind him. We will see who else they can get.

What I see is a team with poor perimeter defense and little interior depth. KG will need to play 35 minutes, which I don't think is realistic, and the bigs will need to stay out of foul trouble. This will also be challenging with all the straight line drives given up by the guards.

This is a good team, but Kidd will have his work cut out for him for sure. I think it is crazy to put these guys in the conversation with the elite teams in the East right now.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely, 100%, do not give up rondo.

Would you rather build around Rondo, or a potential superstar like Wiggins or Parker?

Rondo is not a superstar, and you need at least one to contend in the NBA.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I disagree 100%.

But the Nets honestly didn't give much up. They gave up two huge contracts and mediocre draft picks. They did take on two big contracts in KG and Pierce but they are obviously trying to win now, which is weird considering Miami has won back-to-back, the Bulls have Rose back, and the Pacers have Granger back while PG emerged as a huge young star.

So it will be difficult to win in the East still, but they didn't have many choices to contend and this was their best option.

Still got:

1. Heat
2. Pacers
3. Nets
4. Bulls

As top teams in East.

geneh_33

Go Home Run Heels!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is scared of Brook Lopez. Roy Hibbert is a game changer. Lopez is a big softie who can block a few shots.

KG is awesome. I love him as a player and a leader, but how much does he have left to give?

The Nets will be a top 5 seed in the East, but if they have to face the Bulls or Pacers in the first round, they are going to be sent home packing. The Knicks may still have a better regular season record than the Nets although I don't necessarily think they are a better team.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out and how free agency changes the other teams in the East.

Not saying anyone is scared. Scared players don't make it in the NBA. I am saying that a player will have to take where those 2 towers are into consideration before he begins to drive the lane.

starbigd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This won't be a top 4 team in the East next year, book it.

They are NO DOUBT the SLOWEST team in the east now. With a coach that wants to play uptempo.

Perimeter defense is going to be a problem. And they don't have a dominant interior frontcourt that some of you imagine.

If they see a healthy Pacers or Bulls team in the playoffs, they're done.