• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Durant: Does He Stay or Does He Go?

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant would be crazy to leave $30M on the table. And yes, Dwightmare did exactly that to escape the Lakers. But OKC is a great team - with Durant. He has nothing to escape. And just because going to the Wizards would mean an automatic finals birth every year doesn't mean he'd ever win a ring. If he wants one of those, he'll stay in OKC where all the stars are 26 and under.
I was thinking that DH agreed not to opt out of the last year of his contract with Orlando and agreed to stay put and then was traded when it was clear that he would not sign. When he left the Lakers I think he was a free agent and didn't have to leave 30M on table. If that is correct - he got everything he wanted. For Durant it is different because Oklahoma has a fairly good reputation in building good teams whereas the Lakers were getting ready for a complete rebuild with no future for Howard at all. Staying in Los Angeles in my opinion would have been a complete waste for the Lakers and Howard. Now this summer, the Lakers will have a good core to attract players like Howard and it's different

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant would be crazy to leave $30M on the table. And yes, Dwightmare did exactly that to escape the Lakers. But OKC is a great team - with Durant. He has nothing to escape. And just because going to the Wizards would mean an automatic finals birth every year doesn't mean he'd ever win a ring. If he wants one of those, he'll stay in OKC where all the stars are 26 and under.

It really kind of depends. He has been with this franchise his entire career, has one finals appearance to show for it and OKC's FO doesn't seem willing or able to spend the money to get the player(s) they need to overtake GSW and the Spurs. He may think that if he goes to a franchise that will spend the money, and/or already has some really good pieces, that he may have a better chance at a title. Not saying he will go to the Lakers (I don't think he will), but they have a long history of not being afraid to spend lots of money to win titles.

Also, he can turn down $30 million with OKC by doing what Lebron has done and sign a 2 year deal with a player option after 1, then opt out and re-sign on a "supermax" deal in 2017.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was thinking that DH agreed not to opt out of the last year of his contract with Orlando and agreed to stay put and then was traded when it was clear that he would not sign. When he left the Lakers I think he was a free agent and didn't have to leave 30M on table. If that is correct - he got everything he wanted. For Durant it is different because Oklahoma has a fairly good reputation in building good teams whereas the Lakers were getting ready for a complete rebuild with no future for Howard at all. Staying in Los Angeles in my opinion would have been a complete waste for the Lakers and Howard. Now this summer, the Lakers will have a good core to attract players like Howard and it's different

Yes and no. The idea was to get Dwight and Nash, pair them with Kobe to try and get another title or 2. Then rebuild around Dwight who would now have the experience of winning a title or 2 to help attract FA's as Nash and Kobe retired. So, there was a rebuild coming, but they were looking to have Dwight as the centerpiece rather than the rebuild from scratch that it turned into when Dwight left.

Also, Dwight did walk away from $30 million because when the Lakers traded for him, they got his Bird rights as well.

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Durant is gonna sign a 2 yr deal with OKC, and then opt out after next year to go into free agency with Westbrook

Kold

Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I may jump in on the Harden discussion...OKC royally screwed themselves when they gave Kendrick Perkins all of that money, leaving them to choose between Harden or Ibaka. Now if they would of just gone into the luxury tax and kept both, I'm fairly sure that they would have a chip by now. As for the injuries that happened to Westbrook and Durant, it's hard to factor in if those injuries would of stilled happened, but that lineup of Harden as the PG, WB on the wing, Durant, Ibaka, and whomever else at Center, was near unstoppable

Wishbone

Robust Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is Westbrooks team now. Let KD go, bring back Harden, and sign Blake Griffin. Win win.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am split on this one. If they don't get out of the 2nd round (vs. GS or SA) are they better than they were 4 years ago when they were playing the Heat in the Finals? I'd honestly say no, not as good as the 2011, 12, or 13 teams.

I think he might leave for that reason, Ibaka slowing down, no real up and comers (Adams and Kanter are ok, Waiters appears max'd). Do they need a changeup?

Sure he'll lose some of the money, but could make that up in a non state tax state (Houston, Dallas, Miami), or potential new deals in a major media market (NY, LA).

I think it's three questions he has to answer.

1. Are they better than where they were 4 years ago?

2. Can they improve this roster to that level again?

3. Is he ok with that if he thinks they can't?

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LAD

GSAD - formally known as LAD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should stay in OKC- he will never have a better running mate than Westbrook- the rest of the supporting cast is solid- Kanter was a GREAT pickup- and fills a HUGE hole as a front court scorer- Ibaka, Kanter, Collison, Adams is a front court that is the best they have ever had there.

If this team was healthy they would be my pick to come out of the West. I dont think thats worth breaking up.- not only are they my pick- but San Antonio is not gonna be around forever. Durant and Westbrook are just barely into their late 20's.....dont try and mess with a good thing.

"If this team was healthy"???? Who was hurt? And never mind the Spurs...I think it's the Warriors they struggled with in this post season. Losing a 3-1 lead in the WCF isn't anything to blink at. You need to look at what went wrong unless the WC is truly their ceiling & they're ready to accept that.

This team needs a true PG so they can move RW to the 2 and let him roam and shoot. That's what he wants to do. Get a PG that can control the offense and keep the guys honest in terms of hero ball. RW has proven time & time again he isn't disciplined enough to execute the offense on a regular basis.

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he leaves. I think he sees that its Westbrooks team now.
I don't think they can play together and win. They don't really compliment each other well coupled with the fact that OKC refuses to get a PG and let RW go back to his natural 2 position.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hammer's post says it all. He stays another year. Then there will be fireworks big time in the market in 2017

Krispy Treat

3-6 Latvia
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD is definitely staying with an opt-out option. Then if he fails next year:

KD to Boston or Washington and Westbrook to New York Knicks.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea with the Thunder was that at some point in time the athleticism of their big 3 was going to develop into something more.

Durant is flippin tall. His shooting numbers this playoffs: .485 from 2, .282 from 3. Thats awful. Thats his thing. He is supposed to be one of the 5 best players on the planet mostly because of that thing.

Dirk is flippin tall, old and on a bad team. His shooting numbers this playoffs: .514 from 2, .364 from 3. Thats what a franchise dude looks like.

I'm sick about hearing about Thunder coaches and RW. This is about KD now. He is obviously a max contract guy where ever he wants to go. But he isn't bringing a championship to anyone unless he gets better.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KD is definitely staying with an opt-out option. Then if he fails next year:

KD to Boston or Washington and Westbrook to New York Knicks.

Clippers.

Blake, Paul, Redick all off the books.

Keep CP3 if he's still top 5, KD gets his pass 1st pg.

Still have enough for another max deal and still have DeAndre.

......never happen. But, a gal can dream...:sleep:

LAD

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clippers.

Blake, Paul, Redick all off the books.

Keep CP3 if he's still top 5, KD gets his pass 1st pg.

Still have enough for another max deal and still have DeAndre.

......never happen. But, a gal can dream...:sleep:
This is what I'm talking about...KD needs to have a true PG instead of a 2 (RW) trying to play the PG position.

Mecca of the “B” Team

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I'm talking about...KD needs to have a true PG instead of a 2 (RW) trying to play the PG position.

Agree.

The thing that makes me wonder about him staying is their inability to improve.

They have no money even if he bolts.

Reactions: LAD