• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kevin Durant: Does He Stay or Does He Go?

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant would be crazy to leave $30M on the table. And yes, Dwightmare did exactly that to escape the Lakers. But OKC is a great team - with Durant. He has nothing to escape. And just because going to the Wizards would mean an automatic finals birth every year doesn't mean he'd ever win a ring. If he wants one of those, he'll stay in OKC where all the stars are 26 and under.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should stay in OKC- he will never have a better running mate than Westbrook- the rest of the supporting cast is solid- Kanter was a GREAT pickup- and fills a HUGE hole as a front court scorer- Ibaka, Kanter, Collison, Adams is a front court that is the best they have ever had there.

If this team was healthy they would be my pick to come out of the West. I dont think thats worth breaking up.- not only are they my pick- but San Antonio is not gonna be around forever. Durant and Westbrook are just barely into their late 20's.....dont try and mess with a good thing.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant would be crazy to leave $30M on the table. And yes, Dwightmare did exactly that to escape the Lakers. But OKC is a great team - with Durant. He has nothing to escape. And just because going to the Wizards would mean an automatic finals birth every year doesn't mean he'd ever win a ring. If he wants one of those, he'll stay in OKC where all the stars are 26 and under.
Dwight really had no choice but to leave the Lakers though if he wanted to be on a legitimate playoff team. Had Phil Jackson came back, I think he might have stayed and had the Lakers got Chris Paul first I think he also would have been with them. The important part here, however s that Howard is still getting his dues and didn't lose anything by leaving other than accepting the delusion that he can win a title with the Rockets(He can't and won't in my opinion) Durant is different because the Thunder is a good team with players that contend for years to come whereas the Lakers had an aging Kobe and Nothing. Durant is in a much better situation that is not comparable

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, he may very well have something to escape. When they had KD, Westbrook and Harden and were coming off a finals appearance, eventually winning a title seemed inevitable. However, they let Harden walk, haven't been the same since and haven't done much to replace him. Even with a healthy KD, I doubt many would have them coming out of the West.

Rumors are that Westbrook may leave as well. KD may decide that management isn't going to spend the money to get the player(s) they need to get a title.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, he may very well have something to escape. When they had KD, Westbrook and Harden and were coming off a finals appearance, eventually winning a title seemed inevitable. However, they let Harden walk, haven't been the same since and haven't done much to replace him. Even with a healthy KD, I doubt many would have them coming out of the West.

Rumors are that Westbrook may leave as well. KD may decide that management isn't going to spend the money to get the player(s) they need to get a title.

My opinion is that's the reason they will never win a championship. They aren't willing to commit to the big $$$$ and championships are for the most part bought by spending more money on the players. I really do admire what Oklahoma has done for the most part, but to win a championship, they needed to keep key players that they let go to save money. Now the question is does Durant recognize that or is he happy and if he wants to leave then the smart thing is to keep quiet and say nothing

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now the question is does Durant recognize that or is he happy and if he wants to leave then the smart thing is to keep quiet and say nothing

Yep. If he's happy enough in OKC to finish out his career there, whether they get a title or not, then he will stay. However, if he wants to win a title, then he's probably going to have to give some serious thought to either taking a pretty sizeable pay cut so that management can bring in someone else or he's going to have to seriously consider leaving.

Otherwise, he could end up being that 34-35 year old guy trying to latch on to a contender to get a ring while he still has a couple of productive seasons left in him.

Reactions: LAD

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he'll stay.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everyone is healthy next season... they'll probably have established themselves as one of the best teams in the league by the time the trade deadline hits. If that happens... the likelihood of him staying will increase by a lot.

If they have a bad start next year, though and/or chemistry issues between him and Westbrook (fresh off scoring title and carrying the team on his own) are going on... the chances of him leaving will start climbing fast... maybe even via trade.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just have a feeling this doesn't end well for OKC. I could see Durant going to the Wiz and for some reason I just see the purple and gold in Westbrook's future.
I'd love to see Durant go to NOLA; how would you stop him with Davis?

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he leaves. I think he sees that its Westbrooks team now.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he leaves. I think he sees that its Westbrooks team now.
I think that may be true, but then I think Westbrook thinks he is too big for OKC, leaving OKC in a world of hurt.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they can Brooks, he gone. Westbrook too.

Brooks doesn't coach them per se. If OKC went with a proven (championship) winning coach, those two would be more willing to bolt.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as a former sonic fan I HOPE durant leaves. but as a basketball fan I think he will leave its hard as hell to win in the west if he leaves to the east and plays with the wizards all he has to do is worry about lebron and the cavs. On the other hand I know FOR SURE westbrook will leave I think that guy loves the spot light and putting up those ridiculous numbers and being all over TV I see him leaving to go play for the lakers he is from the area, friends with magic johnson, going to dodger games when kobe is done (which should be soon) it will be his team. So if westbrook doesnt sign an extention I dont see why durant should bother staying and try carrying that team on his back

FantasyBelowZero

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's a wild card for you:
-Westbrook to Houston, reuniting with Harden
-Durant with mega-contract in OKC

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbrook's personality and the fact that he loves the spotlight...I think he'd be a perfect fit in LA. He has that Kobe killer instinct on the court and the LA flair off the court. Going there he'd be the man. He could average Lebron like numbers and win scoring titles as a Laker

KD I'd say 70 % chance he stays in OKC. But if he does leave it'll be because of management

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's time for him to leave, I've been saying it for quite sometime.
I think it's going to be really difficult for the Thunder to hold that team together for several reasons:

1. Zero championships
2. The ownership allowed players crucial for a championship to leave because of $$$$$$
3. The clock is ticking and the time to win a title on a team not willing to sacrifice the $$ makes it a ?

69er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go to a team with a decent or great coach. Scott Brooks is terrible.