• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

KD, the Warriors, Joe Lacob, and money: the situation is evolving

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OK so when KD first said I want out the speculation started where will he go, he said he wanted Phoenix or Miami, people said other teams like the Warriors or Pelicans could put together better packages, etc. The Ws big 3 signaled they'd be fine with it, and KD signaled the same. Meanwhile Joe Lacob was riding high on another ring and not giving any indication he'd stop spending.

My take was I doubted the Ws would get KD, that I'd prefer they rode with the young core, and that in the end KD wouldn't go anywhere.

But some things have happened since...

1. Phoenix is now out (with the Ayton signing), Miami doesn't want to part with what it would take to get him. KD doesn't want to go to NO and they wouldn't trade for him for that reason.

2. Joe Lacob went on a podcast last week and said that there is a limit and it would be hard to see them bringing back both Poole and Wiggins after this upcoming year, as they will likely cost like $60 mil/yr combined not including luxury tax.

So now I think the needle has moved to the Warriors being the leading contender if KD moves, which I still think in the end he won't. Here's why:

a. The Nets have started out asking for the moon (KAT and Edwards and 4 firsts, the Twolves laughed at them) because why not. No rush. And maybe that's their way of saying to KD hey we tried. So the Warriors, who don't need to make the move, can wait.

b. But let's say the price comes down. Let's say Brooklyn would take Wiggins, Poole, Wiseman, and 2 firsts and a pick swap or two. Now the Warriors might listen because:

1. Adding KD to the team basically makes them prohibitive favorites the next 2 years. Not quite the 2017 level all time great but clearly the best in the league.
2. Poole and Wiggins will cost far more than KD does...and Wiseman has to get paid in a couple years too. Trading for KD is a money saving move for the Warriors.
3. They would get to keep Kuminga and Moody so still have some youth coming up.

In the end I think KD stays in Brooklyn, but it now looks like the Ws could be in play for real. If the Nets ask for like Wiggins, Moody, Kuminga, and Wiseman, hell no. If it's Poole and Wiggins and one of the young 3, I could see the Ws thinking very hard about it.
I hope you are wrong

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This season was a great spot for Horford. OKC is tanking so they essentially gave Horford the year off. He came into last year fully rested and ready to perform. This season he’s coming off a long playoff run. He’s not going to be as good as he was last year.

That's why they need to not worry about him during the regular season. Just get him to the playoffs. He might not necessarily be as good, but he shouldn't have to be.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's why they need to not worry about him during the regular season. Just get him to the playoffs. He might not necessarily be as good, but he shouldn't have to be.

it's probably the biggest reason I'm surprised they moved Theis.

They need a 3rd C who can give them 10-20mpg on nights when Al needs rest.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You hope I'm wrong that KD stays in Brooklyn? That's still my take.

I don't even like the Dubs and I wanna see them do it.

A team going all in while they have the window?

It's not like they won't be a major FA destination in the future.

Plus, you got that Memphis pick due anyway. Might as well make it suck for them as well. lol

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even like the Dubs and I wanna see them do it.

A team going all in while they have the window?

It's not like they won't be a major FA destination in the future.

Plus, you got that Memphis pick due anyway. Might as well make it suck for them as well. lol
I don't want to and I doubt we will but I definitely see the upside and would be fine watching them have a great shot at another 1-2 titles.

Again, depends how many of the young 3 they would lose. Don't care about picks right now, and I think Poole will be gone after this year anyway.

As others have pointed out, Poole and Wiggins probably aren't good enough to make just Wiseman and picks enough. Brooklyn will just ask everyone for the moon so no one bites and then KD has to just suck it up.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't want to and I doubt we will but I definitely see the upside and would be fine watching them have a great shot at another 1-2 titles.

Again, depends how many of the young 3 they would lose. Don't care about picks right now, and I think Poole will be gone after this year anyway.

As others have pointed out, Poole and Wiggins probably aren't good enough to make just Wiseman and picks enough. Brooklyn will just ask everyone for the moon so no one bites and then KD has to just suck it up.

At some point Brook will realize that's their best offer.

And if they trade Kyrie they aren't going for the title this year anyway.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At some point Brook will realize that's their best offer.

And if they trade Kyrie they aren't going for the title this year anyway.
That's just it. I think Brooklyn wants to and expects to keep both Kyrie and KD and get them to realize their smart play is to run it back this year, with Simmons, and no vaccine bullshit, just like they wanted to when they got there. Kyrie needs to play well to get another contract, etc.

I think that's how it will play and the Nets will be formidable, they've actually added other pieces too.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I get being worried about the future.

But man, this is a chance to put an exclamation mark on a historic run that basically was cut short only by injuries 2 consecutive years (likely from going so deep in the playoffs year after year after year).

Banners fly forever. And considering the clippers have totally reloaded, I think I would make the move if possible. But especially if I can craft a deal that lets me hang onto Kuminga or Wiseman. I'll easily move Moody and Baldwin in the deal.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they give up Wiggins and Poole and add Durant, they are a worse team.

The only way it makes any sense to trade for Durant is if Klay is in the package and Wiggins isn't. Durant and Klay as your wings cant guard shit anymore. Unless you really buy into the fact that Klay might make a major jump next year with a year under his belt. I don't. He's 32. He's not regaining a lot of the ability he lost.
Klay has regressed defensively but he went from great to above average. KD can defend at an above average level. They would be fine. Why? Bc they would easily be the best offensive team like they were the first stint

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that makes more sense…you’re just a Homer. Neither Horford nor Grant Williams are stars. Even most Celtics fans would agree with that. Are you going to apologize?
He should apologize to all Celtics fans for saying Williams is a young star

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's just it. I think Brooklyn wants to and expects to keep both Kyrie and KD and get them to realize their smart play is to run it back this year, with Simmons, and no vaccine bullshit, just like they wanted to when they got there. Kyrie needs to play well to get another contract, etc.

I think that's how it will play and the Nets will be formidable, they've actually added other pieces too.

I tend to agree.

And yes with Harris, Sharpe and Cam plus at least one sixers pick (not sure if they can trade both due to all the other picks they traded away) they can likely make another interesting move, and arguably should.

I think if the nets get off to a hot start KD doesn't say dick. He just isn't sure how good the nets will be this year, after his terrible GMing wrecked the franchise...lol

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,063.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He should apologize to all Celtics fans for saying Williams is a young star
Great role player. He is a very valuable player in the eyes of people who know ball. But a star? Yikes. A team with Grant Williams as a Batman or a Robin wins like 15-16 games and is in the top 5 of the draft.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But man, this is a chance to put an exclamation mark on a historic run that basically was cut short only by injuries 2 consecutive years (likely from going so deep in the playoffs year after year after year).

Banners fly forever. And considering the clippers have totally reloaded, I think I would make the move if possible. But especially if I can craft a deal that lets me hang onto Kuminga or Wiseman. I'll easily move Moody and Baldwin in the deal.

The future is what gives them the best chance to win over the next 3 years.

Poole, Kuminga and Wiseman aren’t leading them anywhere.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be fine doing Poole, Wiggins, Wiseman, Baldwin and picks but Brooklyn doesn't want to move KD and I doubt they will take anything less than a ridiculous Godfather offer.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's ignoring the basic facts of this Ws run. The big 3 are all untradeable. That's just how it is.

And remember, KD saves them money vs paying Poole, Wiggins, and Wiseman. They aren't going to keep both Wiggins and Poole after this year it looks like anyway. So if you're going to lose Poole, upgrading Wiggins to KD makes sense in many ways.

As I've said many times KD isn't coming to the Ws, and likely not leaving Brooklyn. The money thing caught my attention, between Lacob basically saying they can't keep both Poole and Wiggins and seeing how the finances work in the Ws favor to make this trade, it has at least some plausibility.
They are only untradeable bc at this point the Warriors would not trade them but Klay and Dray are far from untradeable. Overall, I agree though on the simple fact they are Warriors for life at this point.

I agree though, losing Poole isn’t much. Even with Wiggins great defense, KD is a huge upgrade but he is also a risk with his age and injury history. They lose depth especially including Wiseman/Kuminga

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think your agreeing with me?

If I’m gs I’m going all in for the homegrown 3.

You won’t have another decade run like this again or in a really long time.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are only untradeable bc at this point the Warriors would not trade them but Klay and Dray are far from untradeable. Overall, I agree though on the simple fact they are Warriors for life at this point.

I agree though, losing Poole isn’t much. Even with Wiggins great defense, KD is a huge upgrade but he is also a risk with his age and injury history. They lose depth especially including Wiseman/Kuminga
Right, it's not riskless but I remember that same objection when they got KD the first time, people really did fade it saying "oh they gave up too much depth" lol. Not even a thing there. It's more like I don't want to give up 2 potential studs. But now that I learned it would save Lacob money to do it, it's slightly more likely.

As I keep saying though, I'm pretty sure both Kyrie and KD will stay and the Nets will be a top 4 seed in the East.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right, it's not riskless but I remember that same objection when they got KD the first time, people really did fade it saying "oh they gave up too much depth" lol. Not even a thing there. It's more like I don't want to give up 2 potential studs. But now that I learned it would save Lacob money to do it, it's slightly more likely.

As I keep saying though, I'm pretty sure both Kyrie and KD will stay and the Nets will be a top 4 seed in the East.
Well he was 29 but either way with a KD trade they are easily favs. I can’t say that for the current roster