• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's Potential Contract Extension

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is who will be the 1st to pull the trigger between QBs like RG3, Cam, Wilson and Kap. Who ever signs first sets up the blue print for the others.

Do we want to be the 1st? That is the question.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem is who will be the 1st to pull the trigger between QBs like RG3, Cam, Wilson and Kap. Who ever signs first sets up the blue print for the others.

Do we want to be the 1st? That is the question.

Yes is the answer because each successor will want a higher deal.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

God I hope not...

the-missing-lube_o_1526037.jpg

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fine. If its going to cost the same regardless then let him prove it this year. If he stagnates again, tag him next year and trade his ass

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
If Kap was a FA he would find a team to give him 18 million. U know how many teams are looking for a Starting QB. With out Doubt he finds a couple teams to give that much or more. We are talking about a starting QB that made it to the super bowl and back to back NFC Championship games. Also has a good playoff record.

how much of it was the QB, and how much of it was the TEAM? did the QB 'carry' the team, or the team carried the QB?

Kaep certainly did his share and IS worth re-signing, but "starting QB that made it to the super bowl...", and "good playoff record" is a little misleading.

it is similar to saying "Alex Smith is a winning QB and made it to the NFC Championship game, thus deserves............"

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much for having a good defense and O line. We've been spoiled with modest QB contracts after Smith's rookie deal. Our team will be gutted after this Kap extension....

No it won't. The cap went up $10M this year and is expected to do the same next year. There is his salary. :)
The key is replacing aging vets with younger cheaper talent as the years go by. Gore for Lat/Hunter. Rogers for Brock. Whitner for ? Justin Smith for Tank? Iupati for ? Crabs for ?. etc.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So much for having a good defense and O line. We've been spoiled with modest QB contracts after Smith's rookie deal. Our team will be gutted after this Kap extension....

Not neccesarily... If Baalke continues to stock-pile draft picks, and as long as he can hit on a good portion of those picks, the roster will remain solid... And you also have to factor in the increasing cap figure as well...

PaythePiper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not neccesarily... If Baalke continues to stock-pile draft picks, and as long as he can hit on a good portion of those picks, the roster will remain solid... And you also have to factor in the increasing cap figure as well...

Show me a team with a 20 mill/year QB that has a deep, talented roster like ours....especially on D. Kap, IMO is not good enough to carry this team by himself. with no talent, he would suck ass.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No it won't. The cap went up $10M this year and is expected to do the same next year. There is his salary. :)
The key is replacing aging vets with younger cheaper talent as the years go by. Gore for Lat/Hunter. Rogers for Brock. Whitner for ? Justin Smith for Tank? Iupati for ? Crabs for ?. etc.

So you're saying that that money is just purely extra money and the result of the increase in the cap over the next few years isn't that salaries across the board will increase?

Come on Ray, you're better than that. You know that more money to be spent means that in effect all players will get paid more when they sign new contracts.

The 49ers can't just say "Aw sweet, $10 million more than we expected! Fuck it, lets just throw it at our mediocre QB!"

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Show me a team with a 20 mill/year QB that has a deep, talented roster like ours....especially on D. Kap, IMO is not good enough to carry this team by himself. with no talent, he would suck ass.

It's not apples to apples, most other teams don't take the same approach as Baalke does when stock-piling picks... And again, the salary cap will look dramatically different over the next 5 years (through the length of the assumed contract)...

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying that that money is just purely extra money and the result of the increase in the cap over the next few years isn't that salaries across the board will increase?

Come on Ray, you're better than that. You know that more money to be spent means that in effect all players will get paid more when they sign new contracts.

The 49ers can't just say "Aw sweet, $10 million more than we expected! Fuck it, lets just throw it at our mediocre QB!"

We have a majority of the other guys already signed up meaning they are under contract and their deals don't magically get more money because the cap increased. I just pointed out to you the two that aren't. Iupati and Crabs.

With Rogers gone we have about $30M in cap space for 2015. With easy ways to get more money from Brooks and MacDonald extensions.

Why have Baalke and PM continued to sign guys to reasonable extensions early on? Because they are elite at working the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Contract inflation coming soon to an NFL team near you. I'm definitely in favor of locking in locking up as many of the young core players as possible ahead of the increase. Locking up the younger marginal players could add a lot of future trade value too. Just wait and see how bad the average QB's get overpaid once with the increase...

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Contract inflation coming soon to an NFL team near you. I'm definitely in favor of locking in locking up as many of the young core players as possible ahead of the increase. Locking up the younger marginal players could add a lot of future trade value too. Just wait and see how bad the average QB's get overpaid once with the increase...

More importantly imo is killing the 2014 draft. We need to mine future starters from this draft since we got shit out of 2012 and 2013 is still up for debate. 2016 we need guys starting from this draft class at WR, CB, G, SS, Dline, etc.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
More importantly imo is killing the 2014 draft. We need to mine future starters from this draft since we got shit out of 2012 and 2013 is still up for debate. 2016 we need guys starting from this draft class at WR, CB, G, SS, Dline, etc.

I think Baalke is prepared to keep the 10-15% of the key players on the squad, and treat the rest like a 4 year scholarship player in college... Play out the initial contract and let the majority of them go after the contract is up... Of course there will be exceptions, because within his quantity he will find quality... But at the same time, he doesn't have room for players like Goldson (and most likely Iupati) who will garner far more than what the team values them at (or at least feels it can find something close in a replacement with a draft pick)...

Its a great approach, but they better invest in top quality scouting personnel to make this plan work more effectively or consistently than it has...

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Baalke is prepared to keep the 10-15% of the key players on the squad, and treat the rest like a 4 year scholarship player in college... Play out the initial contract and let the majority of them go after the contract is up... Of course there will be exceptions, because within his quantity he will find quality... But at the same time, he doesn't have room for players like Goldson (and most likely Iupati) who will garner far more than what the team values them at (or at least feels it can find something close in a replacement with a draft pick)...

Its a great approach, but they better invest in top quality scouting personnel to make this plan work more effectively or consistently than it has...

Yeah I consider Iupati as good as gone. The key will be to see if they move him for a pick beforehand or work it for a comp pick that would be pretty high.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"So, Kaepernick, if he signs a contract extension with the 49ers, will be doing so in the range of $20 million per season, putting him among the top five or six salaries in the history of the game. Otherwise, he'll play for his $1M in 2014 and then force the issue with the 49ers as to whether they franchise him, or sign him to what will in all likelihood be an even more massive contract come 2015 if this kid continues to develop as rapidly as he has to this point. And you can go ahead and ask the Ravens if they would have preferred to have Flacco signed at around $16.6M annually, as they could have in 2011, or Flacco at $20.1M annually, as was the case when he put pen to paper after winning the Super Bowl following the 2012 season."

I read the whole thing and hated reading it.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"So, Kaepernick, if he signs a contract extension with the 49ers, will be doing so in the range of $20 million per season, putting him among the top five or six salaries in the history of the game. Otherwise, he'll play for his $1M in 2014 and then force the issue with the 49ers as to whether they franchise him, or sign him to what will in all likelihood be an even more massive contract come 2015 if this kid continues to develop as rapidly as he has to this point. And you can go ahead and ask the Ravens if they would have preferred to have Flacco signed at around $16.6M annually, as they could have in 2011, or Flacco at $20.1M annually, as was the case when he put pen to paper after winning the Super Bowl following the 2012 season."

I read the whole thing and hated reading it.
:agree: The bold part for sure. There was rapid development? I must have missed that. I guess the bottom line is that the price for a decent QB has gone thru the roof and the elites will be making 40 mil a season in two years.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems almost as if Kap's reps paid JLC to write such a piece.