• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's Potential Contract Extension

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
"Failed completions" is a very limited stat. It's balls that are completed, but are unsuccessful plays, like a three-yard completion on third and seven. The curious thing (one of them, anyway) about this article is that it starts by saying Kap is criticized for not checking down, but then draws on a stat that basically penalizes checking down as if that shows that Kap doesn't really struggle in this area. If a QB always threw past the first down markers, he would never have a failed completion. Kap's penchant for throwing downfield means his low number of failed completions should surprise no one. But as noted, half of his failed completions come on third down and fourth, which is a problem. Of course, some of that is likely the playcalling, which favors playing it safe over taking risks pretty much everywhere on the field, and particularly in the red zone. Still, it is something of a concern that Kap isn't looking in the short area on early downs, but apparently does look there on third down more than he should.

ok, thanks.

yeah, Kaep has no problem throwing 'downfield' and hence, good between the 20's. they (Coaches and other offensive players too) need to work more on RZ passing. apparently, 'short' passing isn't Kaep's strong point, and hence the struggles in the RZ? don't think it is mainly play calling, some but not most. Roman is just avoiding the pass plays Kaep doesn't do well, which seems to be the middle of the field?

Last edited by a moderator:

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am one of Kaps' biggest criitics as well as I was Smiths. I really hope he is working on his fundementals as well as his body. I have seen that they want to lock him down with a contract before the new season. I wish him the best and he had better get it right this new season...just sayin'.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think expectations for Kap shot up to an unrealistic level after a very successful first season starting. He was very good almost immediately, which really doesn't happen much. I think part of it was teams defending us as if we had Smith under center early on, which Kap was able to exploit. The concern is the lack of development he showed as a passer last year. Of particular concern to me is his vision - both seeing his own guys and seeing the defenders. I've aired concerns about his commitment to the right things this offseason, but for now we'll just wait and see.

I'm kind of shocked at the comments from the FO about how he's going to get paid. The only thing I can think of is that they are prepping the fan base for the realities. It's looking more and more like he's going to get $18+ million/year. I think that's very high given the limited sample, his struggles as a passer, and the fact that he's still under a very reasonable contract, but the going rate is the going rate. Just got to hope that he's doing the right things.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think expectations for Kap shot up to an unrealistic level after a very successful first season starting. He was very good almost immediately, which really doesn't happen much. I think part of it was teams defending us as if we had Smith under center early on, which Kap was able to exploit. The concern is the lack of development he showed as a passer last year. Of particular concern to me is his vision - both seeing his own guys and seeing the defenders. I've aired concerns about his commitment to the right things this offseason, but for now we'll just wait and see.

I'm kind of shocked at the comments from the FO about how he's going to get paid. The only thing I can think of is that they are prepping the fan base for the realities. It's looking more and more like he's going to get $18+ million/year. I think that's very high given the limited sample, his struggles as a passer, and the fact that he's still under a very reasonable contract, but the going rate is the going rate. Just got to hope that he's doing the right things.

yeah, all we can do is wait and see, he can only improve his field awareness thru more games.

agree, it is difficult paying a QB good money without proving a good level of passing skills.......consistent passing skills? that is just the way the NFL QB works, thru the passing game. running IS good but only after you can pass first.

on the other hand, teams without a decent QB can't win. so even if Kaep remains 'decent', we can do worse. at least he CAN move the offense between the 20's, doesn't crumble under play-off pressure (save Seattle), and has the locker room/coaches behind him.