• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's Potential Contract Extension

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in the end he gets 17 million.

Not going to lie, Im starting to like the Idea of him playing out his rookie contract then franchise him for 2 years. That would put him at 29 years old. At that age the most you can offer is 4 years and if he hasn't won a superbowl or MVP by then, then he isn't worth the 17-20 million a year. If you pay now you are paying for the potential. If you wait then you are rewarding him.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think in the end he gets 17 million.

Not going to lie, Im starting to like the Idea of him playing out his rookie contract then franchise him for 2 years. That would put him at 29 years old. At that age the most you can offer is 4 years and if he hasn't won a superbowl or MVP by then, then he isn't worth the 17-20 million a year. If you pay now you are paying for the potential. If you wait then you are rewarding him.

What I always felt is that the only issue is if he leaves and whether we care. If he struggles this year, and I mean struggle, then we don't care if he leaves. That won't happen, IMO, just saying.

If he does the same as this last year, then we care, but we should get a better deal than the moon and the stars. And if he wins a Superbowl, would he leave if we then offer him the, as you say it, reward? I think we will offer him market value if he wins a Superbowl and depending on how he does, we'll offer him that market value if he doesn't.

I think we're keeping him either way (if not that unlikely possibility of playing poorly) so it's just money. I don't think he'll leave for the same pay or close. I think he'd have to be blown away by someone else for us to lose him. Chances are if he's good enough to be blown away, we'll be in that ballpark and I think he'd stay and play up the home discount card.

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The last 5 games of the regular season with Crabtree back in the line-up, Kaepernick's stats-

()Season totals
QB Rating- 101.52 (91.6)
TD/Int- 7-1 (21-8)
Yards- 1160 (3197)
YPG- 232 (199.8)
YPA- 8.6 (7.7)
Comp%- 61.76 (58.4)
Rush Yards- 169 (524)
Rush TD- 1 (4)
Fumble/Lost 0-0 (6-4)
W-L 5-0 (12-4)

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Those stats are good and that what I was saying, he hasnt had a full season of Crabs, Boldin and Davis all together yet. Not to mention he was spot on in the GB and Car game too

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a question: Jets just signed Decker to a good contract. he is cheaper then Boldin. U think he would of been a better pick up then resigning Boldin. Just asking. I like Boldin but looking at contract and age.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just a question: Jets just signed Decker to a good contract. he is cheaper then Boldin. U think he would of been a better pick up then resigning Boldin. Just asking. I like Boldin but looking at contract and age.

I think Manning helped Decker and while Boldin helped Kaepernick, that's something we can rely on staying the same and building chemistry and all that. So, keep the guy you have who has been successful in your system (and Arizona and Baltimore's) and with your QB.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I would rather have Boldin for the next 2 years then Decker all day. Boldin is tough, physical and can do it all, lets see how Decker does in NY with Geno Smith and not to mention Denver passed the ball a ton last year. Boldin was our MVP last year, he is proven winner

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Manning helped Decker and while Boldin helped Kaepernick, that's something we can rely on staying the same and building chemistry and all that. So, keep the guy you have who has been successful in your system (and Arizona and Baltimore's) and with your QB.
:agree: Boldin over Decker when it comes to the 9ers.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I would rather have Boldin for the next 2 years then Decker all day. Boldin is tough, physical and can do it all, lets see how Decker does in NY with Geno Smith and not to mention Denver passed the ball a ton last year. Boldin was our MVP last year, he is proven winner
Yes ,Geno to Decker vs Peyton to Decker is a major difference. I'll take Kap to Boldin over Kap to Decker any day for the 9ers.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more time, for those with short attention spans (I have no problem continuing to spam this thread with this information if people continue to argue we can't afford Kaepernick at ~18-20M per year and keep other high profile players).

2014 Cap situations for teams with high value QBs:

Atlanta - Ryan has a cap figure of 17.5M; Atl has a shade over 25M in cap room
Baltimore - Flacco = 14.8; team space = 24.9M (Ngata = 16M, Webb = 10.5)
Chicago - Cutler = 22.5; team space = 8.6
Denver - Peyton = 17.5; team space = 22.26
Detroit - Stafford = 15.8; team space = 11M (Suh = 22, Calvin = 13)
GB - Rodgers = 17.9; team space = 35M
NE - Brady = 14.8; team space = 12.7
NO - Brees = 18.4; team space = 2.7 (Jahri Evans = 11M, Ben Grubbs = 9.1, Colston = 8.3, Graham = 7.3// that's 20M tied up in guards and 15.5 in targets for Brees despite Brees' huge number)
NYG - Eli = 20.4; team space = 18.1 (6 other players with cap hits of 7M+, including one at 11M for Chris Snee)
NYJ - Sanchez = 13.1M; team space = 32M (2 other players over 10M)
Pitt - Roehtlisberger = 18.9; team space = 2.7M (3 other players at 11.8+, and 14M in dead money)
SD - Rivers = 16.7; team space = 4.9M (about 12M in dead money)
StL - Bradford = 17.6M; team space = 10.5 (Chris Long - 14.9M, Laurinaitis = 10.4M, Jake Long = 9.25 and Jared Cook = 7M)

And if the Niners think Kaep is going to get better, which seems to be what they are thinking, then waiting another year would only raise the price. I just don't want us to get Flacco'd. And I'm not worried that giving him an extension now will make him complacent. At the very least, the guy is an extremely hard worker.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And if the Niners think Kaep is going to get better, which seems to be what they are thinking, then waiting another year would only raise the price. I just don't want us to get Flacco'd. And I'm not worried that giving him an extension now will make him complacent. At the very least, the guy is an extremely hard worker.

I wouldn't mind getting "Flacco'd", that means he won a Superbowl. Give him a huge contract now means the 9ers would get "Kaeprenicked".

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't mind getting "Flacco'd", that means he won a Superbowl. Give him a huge contract now means the 9ers would get "Kaeprenicked".

I didn't necessarily mean that we would win a Superbowl. I just don't want us in a position where Kaep has all the leverage like Flacco did. Right now we have more leverage, IMO.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id give him 18 a year for 5 years.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes, do it now while we can still get a good price. We have leverage right now because like any other player, Kaep is one play away from being injured and out of the NFL. We also have leverage because he is obviously underpaid and it is highly unlikely he would hold out this season. With NFL salaries going up across the board and with the salary cap continuing to rise, 18 million per year won't be too bad. The question is how much guaranteed money would you give him? I say somewhere between 35 to 40 million.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's what I have been saying since day 1, 5years-$90..He is better then Romo and Cutler, I think $17-19mil is fair for both

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
On Colin Kaepernick and 'failed completions' - Niners Nation

I'll post it here instead of creating another Kap thread but I did find these results to be a bit surprising.

But still depends on how much stock in advanced metrics in football.

it surprised me too. one thing that is frustrating.....he would gain time running out of the pocket, but then throw it away OB. isn't this a 'failed completion'?

obviously, he does get a few big plays with his running, but I'd think once you break free of the pocket, at least one of your receivers is now open? so in this situation you could get some big PASS plays too......ala Russell Wilson?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
it surprised me too. one thing that is frustrating.....he would gain time running out of the pocket, but then throw it away OB. isn't this a 'failed completion'?

obviously, he does get a few big plays with his running, but I'd think once you break free of the pocket, at least one of your receivers is now open? so in this situation you could get some big PASS plays too......ala Russell Wilson?

"Failed completions" is a very limited stat. It's balls that are completed, but are unsuccessful plays, like a three-yard completion on third and seven. The curious thing (one of them, anyway) about this article is that it starts by saying Kap is criticized for not checking down, but then draws on a stat that basically penalizes checking down as if that shows that Kap doesn't really struggle in this area. If a QB always threw past the first down markers, he would never have a failed completion. Kap's penchant for throwing downfield means his low number of failed completions should surprise no one. But as noted, half of his failed completions come on third down and fourth, which is a problem. Of course, some of that is likely the playcalling, which favors playing it safe over taking risks pretty much everywhere on the field, and particularly in the red zone. Still, it is something of a concern that Kap isn't looking in the short area on early downs, but apparently does look there on third down more than he should.