• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaepernick's Potential Contract Extension

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can be franchised next year, where he will take up 18+M against the cap EVEN WHEN HE ISN'T SIGNED.

Fantastic! He can have this coming year to show improvement and the deal negotiations can continue.

When we tag him, he can also sign with another team. Sure, we get two first round picks out of it, but we don't have a QB.

2 First rounders!!! I hope it is to a shitty team that desperately needs a QB.

So, who's excited about the prospect of going into 2015 or 2016 with a rookie QB?

Rookie? Who says the QB would be a rookie? If one is drafted this year and groomed for 2015 or 2016 he wouldn't be a rookie anymore. Plus there is always Free agency.

But there has to be some kind of benefit from franchising Kap? I mean, once we tag him he takes up all that cap space even if he doesn't sign the tender. And since the franchise tag is a one year contract, we can't manipulate the structure to keep his cap hit low in 2015. What can we gain from that?

Well we listed one benefit some other team giving two 1st rounders for him. Also we need to get past this season for him to show improvement first, they that's when franchising comes in. You seem to forget that he has another season under contract.

Oh yeah, 2015 is when Crabtree and Iupati are UFAs. I really like the idea of tying to re-sign Crabtree and Iupati with 18M or so tied up in Kaepernick. Oh well, at least we'll still have Kaepernick when Crabtree and Iupati leave (assuming no other team decides having a QB that earned the franchise tag is worth giving up 2 first round picks for. Especially a team with a great defense that just needs a QB to put them over the hump, like say St Louis). Then we can tag him again in 2016.

That's perfect, that's when Aldon's a FA. Assuming we exercise the option and agree to pay him about 11M in 2015 (and can somehow fit that in the cap with Kaepernick being tagged).[/QUOTE]

"Oh well, at least we'll still have Kaepernick' That's the side you are arguing for. Nice to see you step out to my side.

Injury prone crabby isn't a high resign IMO so that point doesn't hold much water with me. For Iupati, he is coming off injury and I hope he comes back full form this next year. Id talk with Ipuati before I talk contract with Crabby. Signing priority Aldon, Ipuati, Crabby. Plus if these players are resigned their contracts can be manipulated and structured.

St Louis to take Kap! So now we can play 6 yards off the ball when we play them and shadow to Kaps first read. It would be like knowing the plays before they were called! because if Kap gets franchised it would mean he lacked to improve and a deal was in a stalemate.

So, the worst case scenario being painted by the "don't sign Kaepernick" crowd is that we sign him to a big deal and he turns into Mark Sanchez.

My worst case scenario is that we don't sign him, he plays well, earns the franchise tag and costs us Iupati, Crabtree and Aldon because of the restrictions of the tag. And maybe we end up losing him as well.

Worst case scenario? Right now he is Mark Sanchez with the ability to run.

Your worst case scenario he is signed to a huge contact and we are losing much more then Ipuati, Crabby, and Aldon. Try more of a chunk of the defense and putting lesser pieces around Kap. The team makes Kap better more then Kap makes the team better.

At least we can get 2 first round picks for Kaepernick, and maybe 3rd round picks for Aldon, Iupati and Crabtree.

That's how you build a winner folks! Draft players, coach them up to being great NFLers, and then create a situation where you can't keep them.

The 9ers have been stocking up on Comp picks so it wouldn't surprise me if they did let a few of them walk and build through the draft.

The 2 first round picks for Kap would clear space up to a point if they wanted to keep all Aldon, Iupati and Crabby they could.

You are implying that with singing Kap the 9ers would sign Aldon, Iupati, and Crabby which is false as you are trying to paint a bullshit picture for the need to sign Kap now. He has one year left on his deal with some improving to do and a year to show it. If he does great, if he doesn't that's the player he his and has shown. I pointed out the contract difference isn't going to be that different IF he lights it up this year though I like how you avoided this with your silly points. If he fails to improve more options than a HUGE contract can be implemented.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I don't think Big Ben/Brees/Eli/Romo were those QB's after 1.5 seasons of starting.

Funny, those weren't the player you were talking about. Though after 1.5 seasons those players were under contract and making their team better. They signed their big contacts after winning a superbowl... Well besides Romo because he plays for Jerry Jones and jerry is a special guy.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny, those weren't the player you were talking about. Though after 1.5 seasons those players were under contract and making their team better. They signed their big contacts after winning a superbowl... Well besides Romo because he plays for Jerry Jones and jerry is a special guy.

I was talking about Cutler specifically. You were talking about these other players. Cutler got his 18 mil a year extension doing nothing and Kap has had better stats then him over the last 4 years.

And most of the guys you are talking about signed very rich rookie contracts since there was no capping of rookie wages yet.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was talking about Cutler specifically. You were talking about these other players. Cutler got his 18 mil a year extension doing nothing and Kap has had better stats then him over the last 4 years.

And most of the guys you are talking about signed very rich rookie contracts since there was no capping of rookie wages yet.

I didn't bring up ANY of these players.

And I don't care about Cutler but Cutler hasn't played a full season the last 4 years So I really don't know what stats you are comparing. Kaps one full season vs Cutlers partial season? Kaps partial season vs Cutlers partial season?

For the contract, that is the Bears prerogative. 9ers have Kap under contract for another year to see how to plays out.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And I don't care about Cutler but Cutler hasn't played a full season the last 4 years So I really don't know what stats you are comparing. Kaps one full season vs Cutlers partial season? Kaps partial season vs Cutlers partial season?

For the contract, that is the Bears prerogative. 9ers have Kap under contract for another year to see how to plays out.
This. I know I am one the few who think Kap will not get better in his reads,pocket presence and clock managment( Yep, he has a hand in that too...not just the coaching staff). I really hope I'm wrong on this. Can't the 9ers just give him a chance for improvement before any contract talks? He is better than many starting QBs for sure but not in the top ten so far.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You responded to a post that mentioned these players so yeah you did bring it up.

Cutler played 15 games 2 out of the last 4 seasons. Gonna tell me that 1 game matters?

As for the contract, it's not just the Bears prerogative. It's the market that was set for QB's that NFL franchises value so Kap is looking for similar compensation based on what other QB's have gotten. He's not trying to break the bank.

Yeah Kap is under contract. The only way it plays out where Kap doesn't make his money is he gets injured or seriously regresses. If he has the exact same season next year then he'll still get paid.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You responded to a post that mentioned these players so yeah you did bring it up.

Cutler played 15 games 2 out of the last 4 seasons. Gonna tell me that 1 game matters?

As for the contract, it's not just the Bears prerogative. It's the market that was set for QB's that NFL franchises value so Kap is looking for similar compensation based on what other QB's have gotten. He's not trying to break the bank.

Yeah Kap is under contract. The only way it plays out where Kap doesn't make his money is he gets injured or seriously regresses. If he has the exact same season next year then he'll still get paid.

When you are comparing something to something.. yes it matters and when you make statements like you did. Your stats would be off.

Market is the market thats not the question. Could the 9ers take a different QB and put them on the team and manufacture the same results? That is the question that should be asked how much value does Kap bring to the team.

If he has the exact same season and they don't make the playoffs or one and done, does this formula work? I don't think so.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Technically, a QB can break the bank if he's the highest paid player on a cap strapped team and he gets what is right now Top 5-10 money (similar pay), even if he isn't setting record pay, deserves the pay, or not the only cap problem of the team. There are a lot of players cut who deserve or are worth the pay normally but they'd break the bank to pay them what they deserve.

Thankfully, we are good on the cap and have a good organization for handling the cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fantastic! He can have this coming year to show improvement and the deal negotiations can continue.

2 First rounders!!! I hope it is to a shitty team that desperately needs a QB.
Keep your fingers crossed. Kap would have a say as well. Maybe it would be to the Rams or Cardinals.

Rookie? Who says the QB would be a rookie? If one is drafted this year and groomed for 2015 or 2016 he wouldn't be a rookie anymore. Plus there is always Free agency.
Yeah, because there are always QBs in FA that are capable of starting on a Super Bowl winner. And hey, going with a second year guy with no starting experience is infinitely better than a rookie. I'm wondering, who are you targeting to draft this year as a Kap's replacement for next year?

Well we listed one benefit some other team giving two 1st rounders for him. Also we need to get past this season for him to show improvement first, they that's when franchising comes in. You seem to forget that he has another season under contract.

Yes, he has ONE other season under contract. Next year we tag him or we risk losing him. There's also no guarantee he gets signed by another team. Instead he sits there taking up 18M or so on the cap when Iupati and Crabtree are FAs and Aldon will either be a FA or count for 11M. If we have to tag him again the next year he'll count for 21.6M, when Aldon is a FA.

"Oh well, at least we'll still have Kaepernick' That's the side you are arguing for. Nice to see you step out to my side.

Your side? Your side is that we shouldn't sign him now because signing him now will cost us other players. My side is that waiting and tagging him means we have a much greater chance of losing Crabtree, Smith and/or Iupati. If we sign an extension we have an opportunity to structure the contract to keep at least some of those guys.

Injury prone crabby isn't a high resign IMO so that point doesn't hold much water with me. For Iupati, he is coming off injury and I hope he comes back full form this next year. Id talk with Ipuati before I talk contract with Crabby. Signing priority Aldon, Ipuati, Crabby. Plus if these players are resigned their contracts can be manipulated and structured.

Gotcha, you're willing to lose Kap and Crabtree. Wait, if they're re-signed their contracts can be manipulated and structured? I believe that's been my argument against tagging Kap all along. Welcome to my side.

St Louis to take Kap! So now we can play 6 yards off the ball when we play them and shadow to Kaps first read. It would be like knowing the plays before they were called! because if Kap gets franchised it would mean he lacked to improve and a deal was in a stalemate.

So you're saying we would franchise Kap if he didn't improve? So if he doesn't improve in 2014 he's worth 18-20M per year, but he isn't currently? If we franchise him it's because he wouldn't come to terms with whatever offer we made. It means nothing about his improvement as a player. Maybe next year he throws for 4000 yards and 35 TDs as well as runs for 1000 yards and 10 TDs while leading us to a Super Bowl. That's significant improvement. He'd likely be asking for something in the 25M per year range. If we don't agree, would we tag him, or just let him walk?

Worst case scenario? Right now he is Mark Sanchez with the ability to run.

Really? Kap's 2013 season would have been far and away Sanchez's best. I find myself wondering if you have actually ever seen Kaepernick play, or just rely on the Cohns for your information on him.

Your worst case scenario he is signed to a huge contact and we are losing much more then Ipuati, Crabby, and Aldon. Try more of a chunk of the defense and putting lesser pieces around Kap. The team makes Kap better more then Kap makes the team better.

No, my worst case scenario is we tag Kap, lose Aldon, Crabtree, Iupati, then lose Kap as well. What defensive players do we risk losing? Willis is signed through 2016, Bowman is signed through 2018, Brooks is signed through 2018, Brock is signed through 2018, Reid is signed through 2016, Carradine is signed through 2016, McDonald and Justin Smith are signed through 2015.

The only two notable players on our defense who are not signed for the next 3 years are McDonald and Smith. Smith will likely retire (would letting Kap go convince to keep playing?). So which notable defenders do we risk losing? Aldon, who is more of a risk to leave if we are franchising Kap when Aldon is a FA than if we extend him.

Honestly, do you guys arguing against extending Kap even know the situation, or do you just read "18 million dollars" and start freaking out?

Or do you just have no faith in Baalke and Maraathe's ability to look at the big picture?
The 9ers have been stocking up on Comp picks so it wouldn't surprise me if they did let a few of them walk and build through the draft.

The 2 first round picks for Kap would clear space up to a point if they wanted to keep all Aldon, Iupati and Crabby they could.

Yeah, but that doesn't happen until after Kap signs elsewhere. Is your plan to ask those three to ignore all other suitors until a team signs Kaepernick? The deadline to tender offers to franchise players is a week before the draft. Do you think if we asked nicely Aldon, Crabtree and Iupati would wait 2 months to test FA to see if we could get some cap room by losing Kaepernick?

You are implying that with singing Kap the 9ers would sign Aldon, Iupati, and Crabby which is false as you are trying to paint a bullshit picture for the need to sign Kap now. He has one year left on his deal with some improving to do and a year to show it. If he does great, if he doesn't that's the player he his and has shown. I pointed out the contract difference isn't going to be that different IF he lights it up this year though I like how you avoided this with your silly points. If he fails to improve more options than a HUGE contract can be implemented.

No, I'm implying that waiting to tag Kap makes it much more difficult to sign those three than it would be if we were to extend him now. You have done nothing to prove otherwise. You didn't even try to prove otherwise.

Right now he's reportedly asking for 18-20M per year. That's inline with what the previous generation of new QBs got. If we wait until next year he'll potentially have a Newton extension, a Wilson extension and a Luck extension as comparables rather than Stafford, Cutler and Romo. If he lights it up next year, he may start asking for something more like Rodgers/Brees money.

If he fails to improve, and is the same player in 2014 as he was in 2012 and 2013, what is he worth? You said earlier in the post I quoted that if he fails to improve he would be franchised.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically, a QB can break the bank if he's the highest paid player on a cap strapped team and he gets what is right now Top 5-10 money (similar pay), even if he isn't setting record pay, deserves the pay, or not the only cap problem of the team. There are a lot of players cut who deserve or are worth the pay normally but they'd break the bank to pay them what they deserve.

Thankfully, we are good on the cap and have a good organization for handling the cap.

imac already listed many examples of top paid QB's who are breaking the bank and not strapping the cap. The only really bad example of this is the Cowboys and that's because they give crazy contracts to shitty players.

In addition the cap is expected to be around 150 mil next season. If anything QB prices will probably go higher the more the cap is since NFL teams seem to base the QB pay to a percentage of the cap.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

True, you both were talking about Brady, Brees, Ben and Peyton.

Peyton got his extension 2 years before winning a Super Bowl. Not AFTER, as you suggest.

Brees was drafted by San Diego. Brees didn't win a Super Bowl for San Diego. Is your hope that Kaepernick can follow in Brees footsteps and leave as a FA and go win a Super Bowl somewhere else?

That seems like a best case scenario. We draft a QB this year, let Kaepernick leave in FA (Brees switched conferences, let's say Kaep goes Miami, he already has the hat) where he wins a Super Bowl for his new team. Our new QB leads us to mediocrity like the Chargers under Rivers:
Rivers' first year = one and done
Rivers' second year = lost AFCC game
Rivers' third year = lost division round
Rivers' fourth year = one and done (3-4 in the playoffs to this point)
Rivers' fifth year = no playoffs
Rivers' sixth year = no playoffs
Rivers' seventh year = no playoffs
Rivers' eighth year = 1-1 (playoff record of 4-5)

If we get lucky, maybe Kap will win a Super Bowl somewhere else and his replacement will lead us to decency. Of course, Rivers was the 1st/4th overall pick (depending on your view on the Eli situation). I wonder what we'd have to give up to go get Teddy Bridgewater?

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you are comparing something to something.. yes it matters and when you make statements like you did. Your stats would be off.

Market is the market thats not the question. Could the 9ers take a different QB and put them on the team and manufacture the same results? That is the question that should be asked how much value does Kap bring to the team.

If he has the exact same season and they don't make the playoffs or one and done, does this formula work? I don't think so.

The stats would still be comparable if Cutler played 16 games as opposed to 15. All you have to do is average out that 1 game and add it to his actual stats. 1 game sample size means very little.

You don't want Kap to get 18 mil because you think his value to the Niners is alot less but it doesn't change the fact that his market value around the league is 18 mil because that's what other comparable QB's get. And I'm trying to think of another team that has everyone looked to replace a playoff winning QB to see if they can manufacture the same results.

I enjoy that you think if the Niners miss the playoffs it will be because of Kap. And yes the "formula" works. His pay isn't going to get tied to the playoffs for this season. You can't just wipe away what he did his first 2 seasons.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you're saying we would franchise Kap if he didn't improve? So if he doesn't improve in 2014 he's worth 18-20M per year, but he isn't currently? If we franchise him it's because he wouldn't come to terms with whatever offer we made. It means nothing about his improvement as a player. Maybe next year he throws for 4000 yards and 35 TDs as well as runs for 1000 yards and 10 TDs while leading us to a Super Bowl. That's significant improvement. He'd likely be asking for something in the 25M per year range. If we don't agree, would we tag him, or just let him walk?

I liked your long winded responses for everything and your IFs, Buts, and all other hypothetical post.

Do I want to Resign Kap now. No, He has a year left play it out.
Do I want to franchise Kap. No, franchising is a situation for transition and/or contract negotiation.
Aldon, Crabby, and Ipuati. All of them aren't getting resigned with a Kap deal or not.

If he did what is in bold or if I thought he had the ability to do what is in the bold we wouldn't be having this long winded conversation. 25M for that performance isn't that far off from the 20M now. Problem is Kap throwing for 4000 yards, 35, TDs, running for 1000 yards and 10 TD's with a Superbowl win isn't going to happen. My money is on he'll be around his current production not those fantasy dream stats.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, you both were talking about Brady, Brees, Ben and Peyton.

Peyton got his extension 2 years before winning a Super Bowl. Not AFTER, as you suggest.

Brees was drafted by San Diego. Brees didn't win a Super Bowl for San Diego. Is your hope that Kaepernick can follow in Brees footsteps and leave as a FA and go win a Super Bowl somewhere else?

That seems like a best case scenario. We draft a QB this year, let Kaepernick leave in FA (Brees switched conferences, let's say Kaep goes Miami, he already has the hat) where he wins a Super Bowl for his new team. Our new QB leads us to mediocrity like the Chargers under Rivers:
Rivers' first year = one and done
Rivers' second year = lost AFCC game
Rivers' third year = lost division round
Rivers' fourth year = one and done (3-4 in the playoffs to this point)
Rivers' fifth year = no playoffs
Rivers' sixth year = no playoffs
Rivers' seventh year = no playoffs
Rivers' eighth year = 1-1 (playoff record of 4-5)

If we get lucky, maybe Kap will win a Super Bowl somewhere else and his replacement will lead us to decency. Of course, Rivers was the 1st/4th overall pick (depending on your view on the Eli situation). I wonder what we'd have to give up to go get Teddy Bridgewater?

Comparing those players to Kap is straight up dumb. One because they are better QBs and two they had a body of work that showed they were deserving.

I like your projections very fantasy Kap wins a Superbowl somewhere else and the 9ers are suck with a QB that can't win. Your If Kap then no one mentality really gets in the way.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
imac already listed many examples of top paid QB's who are breaking the bank and not strapping the cap. The only really bad example of this is the Cowboys and that's because they give crazy contracts to shitty players.

In addition the cap is expected to be around 150 mil next season. If anything QB prices will probably go higher the more the cap is since NFL teams seem to base the QB pay to a percentage of the cap.

Speaking of Dallas, Romo has the 3rd highest cap figure on the Cowboys this year behind Ware and Carr.

I'll repost the situations for other teams with big QB contracts (all numbers from Spotrac):

Atlanta - Ryan has a cap figure of 17.5M; Atl has a shade over 25M in cap room
Baltimore - Flacco = 14.8; team space = 24.9M (Ngata = 16M, Webb = 10.5)
Chicago - Cutler = 22.5; team space = 8.6
Denver - Peyton = 17.5; team space = 22.26
Detroit - Stafford = 15.8; team space = 11M (Suh = 22, Calvin = 13)
GB - Rodgers = 17.9; team space = 35M
NE - Brady = 14.8; team space = 12.7
NO - Brees = 18.4; team space = 2.7 (Jahri Evans = 11M, Ben Grubbs = 9.1, Colston = 8.3, Graham = 7.3// that's 20M tied up in guards and 15.5 in targets for Brees despite Brees' huge number)
NYG - Eli = 20.4; team space = 18.1 (6 other players with cap hits of 7M+, including one at 11M for Chris Snee)
NYJ - Sanchez = 13.1M; team space = 32M (2 other players over 10M)
Pitt - Roehtlisberger = 18.9; team space = 2.7M (3 other players at 11.8+, and 14M in dead money)
SD - Rivers = 16.7; team space = 4.9M (about 12M in dead money)
StL - Bradford = 17.6M; team space = 10.5 (Chris Long - 14.9M, Laurinaitis = 10.4M, Jake Long = 9.25 and Jared Cook = 7M)

That's every team in the league with a significant cap hit at QB and their current cap situation. New Orleans is in a tough situation, but they have 20M tied up in their guards and can still pay 8+M to Colston and 7+ to Graham. Pitt is in tough, but they're carrying over 10M in dead money. San Diego is in tough, but have about 12M in dead money.

If we cut Rogers, Anthony Davis has our highest 2014 cap number at 8.09M. We have about 2.5M in dead money. Cutting Davis gives us roughly 14M in cap space. Does anyone anticipate a big FA signing this year, or could we earmark a significant chunk of that 14M to a Kap extension that would allow us to keep his ap figure low next year when Crabtree, Iupati and Aldon come up?We currently have 107M tied up in 2015 contracts. That includes Carlos Rogers (at 9.07, our highest cap hit which would be completely erased if he were cut prior to June 1 this year). It does not include Kapernick, Crabtree, Iupati or Aldon. With a projected cap of about 143M we would have 36M in cap space next year to sign those 4 without clearing Rogers off the books (if Rogers is cut next year he opens up an additional 7.5M approximately to give us 43M to sign those guys).

I'm sorry everyone, but the argument that signing Kaepernick to a big contract would cripple us financially is bullshit. Take the time to actually do some research next time rather than just talking out of your asses.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, I suggested that it didn't apply here, but I should have just said that.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Comparing those players to Kap is straight up dumb. One because they are better QBs and two they had a body of work that showed they were deserving.

I like your projections very fantasy Kap wins a Superbowl somewhere else and the 9ers are suck with a QB that can't win. Your If Kap then no one mentality really gets in the way.

They had a body of work because the contract situation was different. They were able to sign 6 year deals as rookies. We don't have that privilege with Kap.

Brees didn't sign a 6 year deal though, because he was a second round pick. What had he'd proven when he signed with the Saints? He'd never thrown 30 TDs, averaged nearly an interception per game, injured his shoulder and the Chargers chose to let him go. What had he proven at the point of his second contract?

Who should we compare to Kap? He's the first big name QB to reach the point of being eligible for an extension under the new CBA. Andy Dalton is the other one (Can can negotiate, but he has a 5 year deal so there's less pressure on Carolina).

Speaking of Dalton, here's an interesting paragraph from an article about Bengals' players and potential extensions:
Dalton may be a bit of a surprise for some, but remember that an extension does not mean the franchise is stuck with him as a starter. The team can get a deal done now at a fair cost with escalators wired into it, and if he fails it will still be a reasonable cost to cut him down the road or have him as a backup. Heck, if he statistically improves again the team will already have a deal done rather than paying even more next offseason.

But apparently many of you feel Maraathe and Baalke are idiots who don't know how to negotiate contracts.

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The stats would still be comparable if Cutler played 16 games as opposed to 15. All you have to do is average out that 1 game and add it to his actual stats. 1 game sample size means very little.
No shit, here you are say how great Kap is for a small sample size on a stellar team.

QUOTE=erckm510;4626233]You don't want Kap to get 18 mil because you think his value to the Niners is alot less but it doesn't change the fact that his market value around the league is 18 mil because that's what other comparable QB's get. And I'm trying to think of another team that has everyone looked to replace a playoff winning QB to see if they can manufacture the same results.[/B[/QUOTE]

9ers did it.

I enjoy that you think if the Niners miss the playoffs it will be because of Kap. And yes the "formula" works. His pay isn't going to get tied to the playoffs for this season. You can't just wipe away what he did his first 2 seasons.

What the fuck did he do?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
One more time, for those with short attention spans (I have no problem continuing to spam this thread with this information if people continue to argue we can't afford Kaepernick at ~18-20M per year and keep other high profile players).

2014 Cap situations for teams with high value QBs:

Atlanta - Ryan has a cap figure of 17.5M; Atl has a shade over 25M in cap room
Baltimore - Flacco = 14.8; team space = 24.9M (Ngata = 16M, Webb = 10.5)
Chicago - Cutler = 22.5; team space = 8.6
Denver - Peyton = 17.5; team space = 22.26
Detroit - Stafford = 15.8; team space = 11M (Suh = 22, Calvin = 13)
GB - Rodgers = 17.9; team space = 35M
NE - Brady = 14.8; team space = 12.7
NO - Brees = 18.4; team space = 2.7 (Jahri Evans = 11M, Ben Grubbs = 9.1, Colston = 8.3, Graham = 7.3// that's 20M tied up in guards and 15.5 in targets for Brees despite Brees' huge number)
NYG - Eli = 20.4; team space = 18.1 (6 other players with cap hits of 7M+, including one at 11M for Chris Snee)
NYJ - Sanchez = 13.1M; team space = 32M (2 other players over 10M)
Pitt - Roehtlisberger = 18.9; team space = 2.7M (3 other players at 11.8+, and 14M in dead money)
SD - Rivers = 16.7; team space = 4.9M (about 12M in dead money)
StL - Bradford = 17.6M; team space = 10.5 (Chris Long - 14.9M, Laurinaitis = 10.4M, Jake Long = 9.25 and Jared Cook = 7M)

badazzk9

Key Master
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But apparently many of you feel Maraathe and Baalke are idiots who don't know how to negotiate contracts.

No actually, I like how they negotiate contracts... Just like how Kap hasn't got an extension with one year left to play.