• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaep gaining experience at the expense of second seed?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess that is why issue with this whole stupid argument. People want to credit CK for things based on what they have seen in 6 games but dont want to discredit him for things in the same span. The reality is the guy is 4-2-1 in the last 7 games that he has finished. Thats the end game and while its OK its not any better than what Smith did the last year and half ( in fact its worse). I have no issue with thinking Kaep is better but to get all up in arms when a neutral party says that maybe he isnt better is stupid. I get it, alot of Niner fans hate Smith, doesnt mean Kaep is better just because you didnt like the other guy. I personally hope you guys make the NFC title game and get the smile slapped off your face in Atlanta while Kaep plays like shit. Then I can celebrate and be an asshole all at the same time :) LOL.

"People want to credit CK for things based on what they have seen in 6 games but dont want to discredit him for things in the same span."

What things are we not discrediting him for and be specific - you know just the FACTS?

The reality is the guy is 4-2-1 in the last 7 games that he has finished.

In games that Kap "finished" - LOL!!! Nice try at spinning the facts, unfortunately, this works against you like nearly every word you type!

In games that Kap has FINISHED he is 5-2! He came into the Rams game down 14-7 and "finished" that game by outscoring them 17-10 the rest of the way - all 17 points coming in the 4th quarter.

In games that he started he is 4-2
In games that he has played in & thrown more than 7 passes he is 4-2-1
In games that he finished he is 5-2
In games that he has scored in he is 6-2-1

We can spin the FACTS anyway you like Captain Dipshit

"Thats the end game and while its OK its not any better than what Smith did the last year and half (in fact its worse)."

Here is the box-score for Smiths six starts beginning at the 9th game of his second season:

Win.......3
Loss......3
Att:....152
Cmp:....86
%.....56.6%
Yds:...981
YPA...6.45
TDs:......6
Ints:......7
Rate:.70.1

Hmmm? Let me know if those FACTS are not good enough for you - I've more where those came from - Hey, how about we compare each QB's first 195 pass attempts?? That would be fun! Like I said, anyway you want spin it.

"I have no issue with thinking Kaep is better but to get all up in arms when a neutral party says that maybe he isnt better is stupid."

Neutral? Neutral means no opinion; which, since you know absolutely nothing about our team is what you should have; instead, you open your mouth and shit falls out of it!

"I get it, alot of Niner fans hate Smith, doesnt mean Kaep is better just because you didnt like the other guy."

Nobody on this board hates Alex Smith. What makes Kap better are his skills and abilities - You know those "weak-ass intangibles" you can't measure with statistics so of course you are oblivious to them

"I personally hope you guys make the NFC title game and get the smile slapped off your face in Atlanta while Kaep plays like shit. Then I can celebrate and be an asshole all at the same time"

If we are going to lose in the playoffs it will happen before the NFCC Game and if we make it to the NFCC and play the Falcons - I like our chances

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"People want to credit CK for things based on what they have seen in 6 games but dont want to discredit him for things in the same span."

What things are we not discrediting him for and be specific - you know just the FACTS?

In games that Kap "finished" - LOL!!! Nice try at spinning the facts, unfortunately, this works against you like nearly every word you type!

In games that Kap has FINISHED he is 5-2! He came into the Rams game down 14-7 and "finished" that game by outscoring them 17-10 the rest of the way - all 17 points coming in the 4th quarter.

"Thats the end game and while its OK its not any better than what Smith did the last year and half (in fact its worse)."

Here is the box-score for Smiths six starts beginning at the 9th game of his second season:

Win.......3
Loss......3
Att:....152
Cmp:....86
%.....56.6%
Yds:...981
YPA...6.45
TDs:......6
Ints:......7
Rate:.70.1

Hmmm? Let me know if those FACTS are not good enough for you - I've more where those came from - Hey, how about we compare each QB's first 195 pass attempts?? That would be fun! Like I said, anyway you want spin it.

"I have no issue with thinking Kaep is better but to get all up in arms when a neutral party says that maybe he isnt better is stupid."

Neutral? Neutral means no opinion; which, since you know absolutely nothing about our team is what you should have; instead, you open your mouth and shit falls out of it!

"I get it, alot of Niner fans hate Smith, doesnt mean Kaep is better just because you didnt like the other guy."

Nobody on this board hates Alex Smith. What makes Kap better are his skills and abilities - You know those "weak-ass intangibles" you can't measure with statistics so of course you are oblivious to them

"I personally hope you guys make the NFC title game and get the smile slapped off your face in Atlanta while Kaep plays like shit. Then I can celebrate and be an asshole all at the same time"

If we are going to lose in the playoffs it will happen before the NFCC Game and if we make it to the NFCC and play the Falcons - I like our chances

Well the post prior to mine was someone saying they wont discount his leadership based on 6 games. A leader doesnt whine like a baby after a loss like Kaep did after Seattle.

Did you really just try to count a game that you tied as a win because the Niners scored more points when CK played??? Its a tie. 24-24, I can show you the boxscore if you want.

Neutral does not mean no opinion. Neutral means I have no horse in the race. I dont care who you guys play at QB and I have no pre-determined hatred for Smith so i can be impartial.

Of course some Niner fans hate Smith. That is assinine to even say they dont.

Of course you have a chance to beat Atlanta. Never said you didnt. I said I hope you get rolled.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is actually a fantastic point.

I think it's a good point in a limited way --- I think Kaep's shortcomings have been his responses to teams taking away the long passes, his inability to get plays called and up to the line of scrimmage in a timely way, calling audibles with no time left on the clock, his ability to go to the check down receivers quickly enough. I think that all those things are areas that will improve with experience, maybe that's why people are not getting too upset about those shortcomings, they think they will improve.

On another note, why is a Falcons fan even showing his/her face on this forum while the regular season is still going? Isn't there a rule that the Falcons and their fans aren't allowed to comment on anything until they at least win a playoff game?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Unless Kaep loses the opening round playoff game and plays like shit doing it. Then all of the sudden it will be " man what a terrible move by Harbaugh". CK has played well for the most part but the things he needs in order to be better arent anything he can gain in the next week ie: experience and leadership. Pouting like a whiny bitch after the Seattle game proves that. One thing no one will ever argue that CK has over Alex is mental toughness. You guys need to hope the games in the playoffs dont start poorly or it could go south in a hurry. That said CK has a much higher upside so we will see what happens.

Yeah, because one year of failure with CK is on the same level of five years of failure with Alex Smith as the QB. (I already excluded 2007 and 2008 when his shoulder injury took him out)

Truth be told, a lot of 49ers fans still hang 2007 and 2008 on Alex Smith, just because they want to blame him for everything... so some 49ers fans see seven years of failure with Smith as the QB. Whether it is fair or not the QB gets the lion's share of blame when things go wrong.

Anyway, back to my only point. A single season of failure doesn't come anywhere close to leveling things back out in the eyes of most 49ers fans who see Alex as the culprit for the last 5-7 years of failure.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, because one year of failure with CK is on the same level of five years of failure with Alex Smith as the QB. (I already excluded 2007 and 2008 when his shoulder injury took him out)

Truth be told, a lot of 49ers fans still hang 2007 and 2008 on Alex Smith, just because they want to blame him for everything... so some 49ers fans see seven years of failure with Smith as the QB. Whether it is fair or not the QB gets the lion's share of blame when things go wrong.

Anyway, back to my only point. A single season of failure doesn't come anywhere close to leveling things back out in the eyes of most 49ers fans who see Alex as the culprit for the last 5-7 years of failure.

It's vastly different though. Alex came into the league as the #1 draft pick for the worst team in the NFL. A team with Kevin Barlow at running back. He then went through a different offense each and every year until Harbaugh came along last year.

The expectations fans had for the 49ers back then were low. It was not really until after the 3rd year when we still sucked that people started question Alex.

Kaep has stepped into a much different situation. He has taken over for a QB that is now on that bench who took us to a NFC Title game last year. He is now the starter for a team with Super Bowl expectations. He is now the starter for one of the best teams in the NFL. It's pretty much the polar opposite of Alex 2nd year in the league. Expectations are way higher, and if he plays poorly in a playoff loss it will open up a very long post-season discussion on if starting him was the right or wrong move for this season.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think that all those things are areas that will improve with experience, maybe that's why people are not getting too upset about those shortcomings, they think they will improve.

I hear that, and if you boil the issue down solely to Kaep's progress, where he's at in his career, a young guy in a brutally tough job, etc., its totally acceptable. And I'd say his strengths have at least balanced out the weaknesses.

But in terms of leading this team right now, playing in big games and learning on the job as the playoffs start next week.......you can't make the "needs experience" argument. He needs to be doing these things better immediately.

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's vastly different though. Alex came into the league as the #1 draft pick for the worst team in the NFL. A team with Kevin Barlow at running back. He then went through a different offense each and every year until Harbaugh came along last year.

The expectations fans had for the 49ers back then were low. It was not really until after the 3rd year when we still sucked that people started question Alex.

Kaep has stepped into a much different situation. He has taken over for a QB that is now on that bench who took us to a NFC Title game last year. He is now the starter for a team with Super Bowl expectations. He is now the starter for one of the best teams in the NFL. It's pretty much the polar opposite of Alex 2nd year in the league. Expectations are way higher, and if he plays poorly in a playoff loss it will open up a very long post-season discussion on if starting him was the right or wrong move for this season.

The bolded part exactly. Regardless of who was going into the playoffs as our starting QB if we dont win the superbowl there will be questions as to why smith stayed the starter or why kap wasnt put in.

Kap will just have to win the bowl for this convo to end! lol

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the post prior to mine was someone saying they wont discount his leadership based on 6 games. A leader doesnt whine like a baby after a loss like Kaep did after Seattle.

Did you really just try to count a game that you tied as a win because the Niners scored more points when CK played??? Its a tie. 24-24, I can show you the boxscore if you want.

Neutral does not mean no opinion. Neutral means I have no horse in the race. I dont care who you guys play at QB and I have no pre-determined hatred for Smith so i can be impartial.

Of course some Niner fans hate Smith. That is assinine to even say they dont.

Of course you have a chance to beat Atlanta. Never said you didnt. I said I hope you get rolled.

"Well the post prior to mine was someone saying they wont discount his leadership based on 6 games. A leader doesnt whine like a baby after a loss like Kaep did after Seattle."

Leadership is not something you measure with numbers - not everything can be measured with numbers. Please for the love of Kelly Clarkson learn this FACT and watch your IQ jump by 20 points (to somewhere around 90).

Anyone questioning Kaps leadership is lost! Anyone thinking Kap whined after the game is also lost! His presser after the game was very stoic and matter-of-fact. He made no excuses. What part of that constitutes whining?

"Did you really just try to count a game that you tied as a win because the Niners scored more points when CK played??? Its a tie. 24-24, I can show you the boxscore if you want."

You intentionally used the phrase "finished" in order to saddle Colin with the TIE to bolster your incompetent point. Since when does the outcome of a game get hung around the neck of the QB that doesn't start?!?

You're just a moron who likes to play kiddie games. Well, I've got bad news for you - this isn't the fucking kiddie board - I believe you will find the kiddie board under "Atlanta Falcons". I strongly recommend you go play your games on your board or stop playing them here.

Furthermore, were you not just whining about us NOT discrediting Kap for whatever-the-fuck a moment ago? And yet here you are trying to spin the truth in order to discredit Kap with a TIE! Let me guess had Akers made the 41-yarder you would have gladly put that win in Smith's column wouldn't you have?

Well, since you have given Kap zero credit for bringing us back to tie that game, then tried to discredit him with the tie, I'm gonna go with yes! Yes, you would have gladly given that victory to Alex. So now I'm going to label you a hypocrite to go along with all the other well deserved monikers you seem to be accumulating here.

"Neutral does not mean no opinion. Neutral means I have no horse in the race. I dont care who you guys play at QB and I have no pre-determined hatred for Smith so i can be impartial."

Oh you most certainly do have a horse in the race, not a very fast horse but you definitely have one.

"Of course some Niner fans hate Smith. That is assinine to even say they dont."

And even more asinine of you to think that comment even remotely addresses what I said.

"Of course you have a chance to beat Atlanta. Never said you didnt. I said I hope you get rolled."

If I were you I would worry about getting beyond the first round.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Actually, he finished the Jets and Buffalo games, so even if you add the tie game in there because technically he was the QB at the end of the game, his record, according to games he finished is 6-2-1. Isn't that Alex's record this year? ;) But technically, that would be Kaep's last 9 games that he was the QB at the end of the game, not 7. :shrug:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a good point in a limited way --- I think Kaep's shortcomings have been his responses to teams taking away the long passes, his inability to get plays called and up to the line of scrimmage in a timely way, calling audibles with no time left on the clock, his ability to go to the check down receivers quickly enough. I think that all those things are areas that will improve with experience, maybe that's why people are not getting too upset about those shortcomings, they think they will improve.

On another note, why is a Falcons fan even showing his/her face on this forum while the regular season is still going? Isn't there a rule that the Falcons and their fans aren't allowed to comment on anything until they at least win a playoff game?

:pray:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Well the post prior to mine was someone saying they wont discount his leadership based on 6 games. A leader doesnt whine like a baby after a loss like Kaep did after Seattle."

Leadership is not something you measure with numbers - not everything can be measured with numbers. Please for the love of Kelly Clarkson learn this FACT and watch your IQ jump by 20 points (to somewhere around 90).

Anyone questioning Kaps leadership is lost! Anyone thinking Kap whined after the game is also lost! His presser after the game was very stoic and matter-of-fact. He made no excuses. What part of that constitutes whining?

"Did you really just try to count a game that you tied as a win because the Niners scored more points when CK played??? Its a tie. 24-24, I can show you the boxscore if you want."

You intentionally used the phrase "finished" in order to saddle Colin with the TIE to bolster your incompetent point. Since when does the outcome of a game get hung around the neck of the QB that doesn't start?!?

You're just a moron who likes to play kiddie games. Well, I've got bad news for you - this isn't the fucking kiddie board - I believe you will find the kiddie board under "Atlanta Falcons". I strongly recommend you go play your games on your board or stop playing them here.

Furthermore, were you not just whining about us NOT discrediting Kap for whatever-the-fuck a moment ago? And yet here you are trying to spin the truth in order to discredit Kap with a TIE! Let me guess had Akers made the 41-yarder you would have gladly put that win in Smith's column wouldn't you have?

Well, since you have given Kap zero credit for bringing us back to tie that game, then tried to discredit him with the tie, I'm gonna go with yes! Yes, you would have gladly given that victory to Alex. So now I'm going to label you a hypocrite to go along with all the other well deserved monikers you seem to be accumulating here.

"Neutral does not mean no opinion. Neutral means I have no horse in the race. I dont care who you guys play at QB and I have no pre-determined hatred for Smith so i can be impartial."

Oh you most certainly do have a horse in the race, not a very fast horse but you definitely have one.

"Of course some Niner fans hate Smith. That is assinine to even say they dont."

And even more asinine of you to think that comment even remotely addresses what I said.

"Of course you have a chance to beat Atlanta. Never said you didnt. I said I hope you get rolled."

If I were you I would worry about getting beyond the first round.

B you are out of the side of your mouth talking SOB. LOL. Good work man. Leadership isnt measured by numbers?? Who said it was? Not me. I said CK looked like a punk bitch after the loss, whining and moaning instead of manning up and saying how shitty he was. Those arent numbers, its his attitude. And yes a game where the guy played the majority of the game counts for his totals IMO. If Kaep played 3 minutes and the game was a tie then Id say not count it but he played 3+ quarters if you count the OT. The other stuff you said isnt worth responding to.

SY8goat

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What does failure mean? Failure is very subjective. Does failure mean: no Super Bowl Victory, no Super Bowl Appearance, or be the ATL Falcons (2008-2011)?

Through 2005-2010, the 49ers were crap compared to what they are now. Kaepernick is in a perfect environment to succeed. You can't compare those years to the present.

I think its best to compare Kaepernick to Ben Roethlisberger. He won a SB as rookie(or was it his 2nd year), no? Roethlisberger was in a great environment to succeed and at that time, he was not asked to win the game for the Steelers.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said CK looked like a punk bitch after the loss, whining and moaning instead of manning up and saying how shitty he was. Those arent numbers, its his attitude. And yes a game where the guy played the majority of the game counts for his totals IMO. If Kaep played 3 minutes and the game was a tie then Id say not count it but he played 3+ quarters if you count the OT. The other stuff you said isnt worth responding to.

And yes a game where the guy played the majority of the game counts for his totals IMO.

His stat totals? Well duh jackass - just not his win/loss/tie totals because you see that would simply NOT be the FACTS!

I said CK looked like a punk bitch after the loss, whining and moaning instead of manning up and saying how shitty he was. Those arent numbers, its his attitude.

Do you wish to qualify this claim or do you just want to continue being a punk bitch, whining and moaning about how fucking retarded you are?

Qualify it or stfu - or not, as I said before you are one hilarious fuck and I'm having a blast!

The other stuff you said isnt worth responding to.

Nice concession speech. Are you going to be here all week? Should we tip the waitresses?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"According to PFF, here were Kaepernick's stats on passes aimed (does not count throwaways):

Less than 10 yards in the air: 11 of 20, 57 yards -- 60.4 QB rating
Passes 10-19 yards in the air: 2 of 7, 24 yards, INT -- 1.8 QB rating
Passes 20+ yards in the air: 6 of 8, 163 yards, TD -- 156.3 QB rating"

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/roman-tried-exploit-seahawks-first-play

Nevermind, I didn't see that this was only the Seattle game - I didn't look at the number of attempts. Looking at the ratings, I was wondering why those numbers were so different from the 99 cited before - than I looked at the number of throws and it's obvious that was only the Seattle game.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I remember Alex Smith struggling with that his first couple of years too but Kaepernick is just ridiculous. You've got to be smart enough to know that you can't audible out of a play, get everyone set and get the snap completed in the last 5 seconds of the play clock. If I'm not mistaken, all thrree 49er timeouts were burned in the 1st quarter against Seattle because of that.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I hope not because that would be a pointless discussion; its done and there is no going back. Smith might have disintegrated just like Kaepernick; you never know.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
There's a lot going on here, but I wanted to weigh in on a few things.

First, I think it's hard to say that our results would have been much different - or at least much better - with Smith than with Kaepernick. I think it's pretty clear we would have won the Bears game regardless given the D's showing against Campbell. And I think there's a pretty good chance we beat the Rams in the second game, and still beat the Dolphins. But I question whether we would have gone into NO and NE and won those games with Smith at the helm. Those are two teams that are really tough at home, especially late in the year (NO lost its first two home games during an 0-4 start, then won three in a row, including a victory over the Falcons, at home prior to our game). And there's no doubt Smith also loses to Seattle given the circumstances of that game.

Along those lines, I think it's silly to compare Smith's record last year with Kap's this year, or even Smith's earlier this year. The division is so much better, with St. Louis and especially Seattle making huge strides during the offseason and the course of this season. Those teams simply aren't comparable to last year. And you have simply have to factor in that Kap has started four road games and two home games, including going into what are probably three of the six or seven toughest venues in the league. For a guy making his first six starts, that's a brutal run. And Kap has generally handled it well IMO.

There's a lot more I want to add to this, but I've got to head home or my wife will kill me. I'll try to revisit this tomorrow.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

First, I think it's hard to say that our results would have been much different - or at least much better - with Smith than with Kaepernick. I think it's pretty clear we would have won the Bears game regardless given the D's showing against Campbell. And I think there's a pretty good chance we beat the Rams in the second game, and still beat the Dolphins. But I question whether we would have gone into NO and NE and won those games with Smith at the helm. Those are two teams that are really tough at home, especially late in the year (NO lost its first two home games during an 0-4 start, then won three in a row, including a victory over the Falcons, at home prior to our game). And there's no doubt Smith also loses to Seattle given the circumstances of that game.

Along those lines, I think it's silly to compare Smith's record last year with Kap's this year, or even Smith's earlier this year. The division is so much better, with St. Louis and especially Seattle making huge strides during the offseason and the course of this season. Those teams simply aren't comparable to last year. And you have simply have to factor in that Kap has started four road games and two home games, including going into what are probably three of the six or seven toughest venues in the league. For a guy making his first six starts, that's a brutal run. And Kap has generally handled it well IMO.

There's a lot more I want to add to this, but I've got to head home or my wife will kill me. I'll try to revisit this tomorrow.

I don't follow. The defense scored two touchdowns in that game. Kaepernick had very little to do with it. Give Smith a 14-point head start and I'm sure he wins that game too.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with everything you said, except I think we would lost to New England and would have won against the Saints - but that's because of the defense and the fact that Harbaugh would have a different strategy had Smith been playing. But I could see those being switched, as NO is tough, and maybe we would have run more against NE with Smith in there. Yes, there's an outside chance we'd have won both in a different style and losing both would be more likely than winning both.

Long story short, we don't know. The point is wins and losses in his growing pain games don't matter. In fact, throw out the regular season. I'd want the QB with more skills that he would use come playoff time and that's Kaep. I don't think the experience card overcomes that. My corollary here was "more skills that he would use" - if the coaching staff cannot use those skills and instead focuses on non-strengths, then experience could play a factor (not saying we'd lose). Note: I'm not saying this means Smith would win, just saying that playcalling is a big part of whether the decision to go with Kaep is capitalized on or is just growing pains.

charles ponzi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
But I question whether we would have gone into NO and NE and won those games with Smith at the helm.

Why does CK get credit for what the defense does? Was it his strategy to throw a pick at the end of the 1st half to set up a Brees pick-6?

In the NE game there were about 3 or 4 NE fumbles recovered by the 49ers (He had 4 but we recovered them all). Again with those turnovers, wouldn't AS be able to convert those to points, plus have longer drives so that the defense can be rested?

CK has done well for a 2d year guy, but you CK supporters have a double-standard: when we win, like in NO, it's all CK; when AS wins its: the defense, the running game, special teams, Akers...

And comparing AS's 2d year to CK is retarded. Do you even remember how bad those teams were? And he was able to go to Seattle and beat them there.

The question isn't about next year. It's about this. Do you believe we can win it all? And which QB -and the difference in offensive style each QB brings to the line - will lead us to a SB win?

This year give me AS handing off to Gore and controlling the clock and letting the defense rest.