• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaep gaining experience at the expense of second seed?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't he? They've already shown a willingness to do so by installing quite a few pistol looks.

It is my understanding that Roman went to Nevada to learn the pistol from Ault.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What do I need to qualify?? Did you watch the interview after the game?? If you did then no explanation is needed. If you didnt then maybe talk to some of your cohorts here that did and they will tell you what I am talking about.

Unlike you, I actually know what I'm talking about - asking you to qualify anything is tantamount to asking a 2nd grader to explain sex. Their explanation won't even be close but it will be funny as hell to listen to - or in your case read.

I guess what has been said many times is true - those who are not leaders cannot recognize those who are.

Here is the transcript - please point out the answers that speak to you and tell you that Colin lacks leadership qualities.

-Q: What happened out there?

-KAEPERNICK: We didn’t play well enough to win.

-Q: How do you think you played?

-KAEPNERICK: Not good enough to win.

-Q: Did the Seahawks do anything in particular that made it tough?

-KAEPERNICK: No, it was … we weren’t executing on offense.

-Q: Was the crowd noise a factor?

-KAEPERNICK: It’s loud in other stadiums, too. It’s something you have to get used to on the road.

-Q: There were the two delay penalties and the two timeouts you had to call with the play-clock running down. Was that because of the crowd noise?

-KAEPERNICK: We just have to get in and out of the huddle. That is something we can control.

-Q: Can you use this as a learning experience?

-KAEPERNICK: Every time you are on the field you learn something. So we just have to take what we can from this game and move on.

-Q: What specifically can you learn from this?

-KAEPERNICK: We have to play better.

-Q: You already knew that. Did you learn anything more specific than that?

-KAEPERNICK: You’d have to ask a specific question for that.

-Q: As a quarterback, do you feel any added responsibility to do something to lead your team in adverse situations like this? Should you feel any added responsibility?

-KAEPERNICK: I think the whole team knows if you get down you have to keep scoring points. We didn’t do that tonight.

-Q: Were you bothered by some of the Seattle defensive players’ reactions in the fourth quarter when they were up big?

-KAEPERNICK: I’m not paying attention to what their defense is doing. I’m worried about what we’re doing on offense.

-Q: Were they spying you a little?

-KAEPERNICK: I think a couple times.

-Q: Was it frustration not to be able to score a TD after Willis’ INT?

-KAEPERNICK: Yeah, obviously you want to score a touchdown then.

-Q: Frank Gore says this team knows it’s a good team. What do you think the best response is to a game like this?

-KAEPERNICK: We come back and win next week.

-Q: Any hangover from the New England game?

-KAEPERNICK: No, we just didn’t come out and play well tonight.

-Q: Did you think you were throwing the ball all right?

-KAEPERNICK: Yeah, we just have to make more plays in the passing game to win this game.

-Q: Did you get enough a look at Russell Wilson tonight to have any thoughts on his play?

-KAEPERNICK: No, I’m worried about what we’re doing.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
kap isn't good on short passes. the stats are surprising but the offense needs to be tailored more to his strengths...

See, if you knew anything at all about football, iguana, you would know that 2/3 of all passes are thrown within 10 yards - ~66%! (Alex was at ~75%) Short passes are the basis of ALL passing offenses in the NFL.

I think you are doing what most uneducated fans do, you are analyzing with your emotions. You see one bad play or maybe a few bad plays and you arrive at these ridiculous conclusions.

Can you give me say 25-30 plays where he demonstrated that he is simply no good at short passes? My guess would be that you could maybe come up with 2-3 plays.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I admittedly don't know all that much about Kaepernick. I read about as much as anyone other than Pozz about the team, and I have a decent sense for Kap, but that only gets you so far. From what I have seen of the games, I haven't seen him gathering offensive players around him and taking charge when he's not on the field. Maybe it's happening and I'm not seeing it, I can't say.

Calling it a big concern might be something of an overstatement, but it is a concern for me. As for how I can have concerns without developing conclusions, I'll take a page out of your book and simply say that if you don't understand how that's possible, I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why are we still having this discussion? Kaep isn't without faults, but he's > than Alex Smith this year, next year, and the year after next. People really need to let it go and get over Smith.

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I admittedly don't know all that much about Kaepernick. I read about as much as anyone other than Pozz about the team, and I have a decent sense for Kap, but that only gets you so far. From what I have seen of the games, I haven't seen him gathering offensive players around him and taking charge when he's not on the field. Maybe it's happening and I'm not seeing it, I can't say.

Calling it a big concern might be something of an overstatement, but it is a concern for me. As for how I can have concerns without developing conclusions, I'll take a page out of your book and simply say that if you don't understand how that's possible, I'm not going to waste my time explaining it to you.

I've seen him talking to player son the sideline. It's not something that get in the spot light with heavy focus, but i have noticed him interacting with people.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen him talking to player son the sideline. It's not something that get in the spot light with heavy focus, but i have noticed him interacting with people.

Exactly! They have shown his interactions a few times Arete - glad someone is watching the games.

Besides he has been on the sideline as a starting QB all of what - six games?!? Hardly enough of a sample to judge one's leadership qualities.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I saw it in the Patriots or Seattle game (one of the NBC games) he was huddled around the oline (?) on the bench. The announcer said something about how Manning does that. It would be early to say it's like Manning, at least in the effect of his words, but he's doing it and will gain from that. It'd be a bit of hyperbole to say that he's the same there as Manning, but I like that I've seen him at least once do that because I'm sure they don't show even most of them.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw it in the Patriots or Seattle game (one of the NBC games) he was huddled around the oline (?) on the bench. The announcer said something about how Manning does that. It would be early to say it's like Manning, at least in the effect of his words, but he's doing it and will gain from that. It'd be a bit of hyperbole to say that he's the same there as Manning, but I like that I've seen him at least once do that because I'm sure they don't show even most of them.

Holy Shit!! Another person whom actually watches the games!! I am becoming verklempt! ;)

Hey, what were those numbers you posted the other day from PFF - I was going to respond but you edited before I could - I still thought the numbers looked kind of weird.

charles ponzi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Run along retard - and next time have the balls to post under your real handle you fucking coward!

Dude, I don't what you're talking about. I had the same handle at ESPN.

I'm just trying to have a civil conversation - and to Crimson's credit he responded - with class as he usually does.

You, on the other hand, are a pussy masquerading as a tough guy - an internet tough guy.

We agree to disagree and we will see who is right in the coming years.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, I don't what you're talking about. I had the same handle at ESPN.

I'm just trying to have a civil conversation - and to Crimson's credit he responded - with class as he usually does.

You, on the other hand, are a pussy masquerading as a tough guy - an internet tough guy.

We agree to disagree and we will see who is right in the coming years.

LMAO!!! Awww, what's the matter you little coward you don't like it when you get the tables turned on you? You don't like it when somebody steals YOUR internet tough-guy persona? You and your fake handle? You're not fooling anyone - The only pussy here is you - prove me wrong and come out from behind your mommy's apron.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Shit!! Another person whom actually watches the games!! I am becoming verklempt! ;)

Hey, what were those numbers you posted the other day from PFF - I was going to respond but you edited before I could - I still thought the numbers looked kind of weird.

Maiocco posted the Seattle game numbers from distance thrown through the air and their completion percentage, YPA, and rating. I didn't see that they were just from the Seattle game, so I was posting to ask you if you knew why they were so different from your 99 rating you posted earlier. I noticed why and edited it before you had a chance to respond. He had a 60 rating from less than 10 yards, and I just knew that wasn't the story for his starts - it made more sense to realize he just meant the Seattle game. 11-20 or something like that. Overall, he's been MUCH better, so there was no point leaving it as it was.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LMAO!!! Awww, what's the matter you little coward you don't like it when you get the tables turned on you? You don't like it when somebody steals YOUR internet tough-guy persona? You and your fake handle? You're not fooling anyone - The only pussy here is you - prove me wrong and come out from behind your mommy's apron.

You wouldn't think that a guy with the name Ponzi would be trying to fool anyone, would you? ;)

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maiocco posted the Seattle game numbers from distance thrown through the air and their completion percentage, YPA, and rating. I didn't see that they were just from the Seattle game, so I was posting to ask you if you knew why they were so different from your 99 rating you posted earlier. I noticed why and edited it before you had a chance to respond. He had a 60 rating from less than 10 yards, and I just knew that wasn't the story for his starts - it made more sense to realize he just meant the Seattle game. 11-20 or something like that. Overall, he's been MUCH better, so there was no point leaving it as it was.

Ahhh, got it. I just happened to notice the INT was listed at over 10 yards (I think) and as I recall the LOS on that pass was inside the 5; which, I found to be strange - but then it's PFF. I love those guys - but sometimes - Ugh!

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers offensive drive info by quarterback

Interesting numbers. It shows two things. One, that the numbers for Smith and Kaepernick are so close that no one can really claim that Kaepernick is behind Smith by much, if at all. Second, all but one of the numbers seem to favor Smith marginally so we weren't missing out overall when he started (though we could be missing out now if you compare what would have been had Kaep started from the beginning). Obviously, the Giants game could have been much better with Kaep, I'm just talking about overall numbers.

This shows the obvious that with Smith we were trying to sustain long drives with short passes, running a lot and with Kaep, some drives may be cut short due to going for deeper plays and more passing. I may be wrong, of course.

I assumed the previous statement from the fact that Smith has more plays on fewer drives (and more Kaep three and outs don't explain that). Smith has also more yards and points per drive, higher TD and FG drive percentage, Red Zone and Goal2Go percentage, lower three and out percentage, and higher EPA per drive. He does have lower third down percentage - 35.9 to 35.2.

No, I am not advocating Smith out there, but I am saying that the coaches achieve the same or similar results with two different QBs (yes, in the same system) in different ways, I think. This either means we are under-utilizing Kaep or that the efficiency in which Smith played allowed similar results in these aspects. I didn't choose the statistical framework, as Sando chose the factors. Smith was going against poor defenses at times, besides Seattle and the Jets on paper. Once we utilize Kaep more, those numbers should improve. All of them were so close that it would be hard to say anything but them being the same, for all intents and purposes.

I wouldn't strain the third down conversion Kaep has over Smith, but it is more significant than the number disparity in red zone percentage that Smith is leading in, despite the number looking big - when you are scoring from outside the red zone, that doesn't help red zone numbers plus there are more third downs to judge from. Didn't we score from 21 twice in the Green Bay game (and/or Detroit)? And the New England game had a few if not all outside the red zone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
49ers offensive drive info by quarterback

Interesting numbers. It shows two things. One, that the numbers for Smith and Kaepernick are so close that no one can really claim that Kaepernick is behind Smith by much, if at all. Second, all but one of the numbers seem to favor Smith marginally so we weren't missing out overall when he started (though we could be missing out now if you compare what would have been had Kaep started from the beginning). Obviously, the Giants game could have been much better with Kaep, I'm just talking about overall numbers.

This shows the obvious that with Smith we are trying to sustain long drives with short passes, running a lot and with Kaep, some drives may be cut short due to going for deeper plays and more passing. I may be wrong, of course.

I assumed the previous statement from the fact that Smith has more plays on fewer drives (and more Kaep three and outs don't explain that). Smith has also more yards and points per drive, higher TD and FG drive percentage, Red Zone and Goal2Go percentage, lower three and out percentage, and higher EPA per drive. He does have lower third down percentage - 35.9 to 35.2.

No, I am not advocating Smith out there, but I am saying that the coaches achieve the same or similar results with two different QBs (yes, in the same system) in different ways, I think. This either means we are under-utilizing Kaep or that the efficiency in which Smith played allowed similar results in these aspects. I didn't choose the statistical framework, as Sando chose the factors. Once we utilize Kaep more, those numbers should improve. All of them were so close that it would be hard to say anything but them being the same, for all intents and purposes.

I wouldn't strain the third down conversion Kaep has over Smith, but it is more significant than the number disparity in red zone percentage that Smith is leading in, despite the number looking big - when you are scoring from outside the red zone, that doesn't help red zone numbers plus there are more third downs to judge from. Didn't we score from 21 twice in the Green Bay game (and/or Detroit)? And the New England game had a few if not all outside the red zone.

Just to comment on that point - it seems to get left behind that Kap has only had 6 (not so easy) starts in his career. And, at least in my opinion, when you factor that into the conversation Kap is light years ahead of Alex.

I've been in and around this game for awful long time and I can't remember the last time I ever saw this level of performance from such young QB's (maybe '83?) It's truly phenomenal.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just to comment on that point - it seems to get left behind that Kap has only had 6 (not so easy) starts in his career. And, at least in my opinion, when you factor that into the conversation Kap is light years ahead of Alex.

I've been in and around this game for awful long time and I can't remember the last time I ever saw this level of performance from such young QB's (maybe '83?) It's truly phenomenal.

Yep, we were thinking the same thing at the same time, Bem. I edited my post while you were writing yours, I guess. I added that Smith's games were against worse defenses, except for Seattle (both QBs played them) and the Jets (but only on paper because of Ryan's defensive reputation). And part of what I meant by until we utilize Kaep more was taken from the idea that under-utilization is due to only having six starts.

Aside, I like having a QB we both like and think is or will be sufficient for what we want, for different reasons maybe. (Not that Kaep is a finished product or is guaranteed to win now.) It cuts down on stupid arguments, you know?

Last edited by a moderator:

charles ponzi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I don't know what you are talking about or who you think I am, but your posts prove that you've gone over the edge.

We'll see who's right or wrong in the coming years. And if I am I'll man up under this handle.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, we were thinking the same thing at the same time, Bem. I edited my post while you were writing yours, I guess. I added that Smith's games were against worse defenses, except for Seattle (both QBs played them) and the Jets (but only on paper because of Ryan's defensive reputation). And part of what I meant by until we utilize Kaep more was taken from the idea that under-utilization is due to only having six starts.

Aside, I like having a QB we both like and think is or will be sufficient for what we want, for different reasons maybe. (Not that Kaep is a finished product or is guaranteed to win now.) It cuts down on stupid arguments, you know?

You know I genuinely feel bad for Alex - I really do. It is hard to see him on the sidelines knowing all he has been through and done for our team. He deserved a much better fate and I hope he finds it.

But, after watching Kap now for dozens of hours, my eyes are opened - wide. I'm not quite at the holy shit stage, but I am seeing the QB in Kap; seeing the confidence; the leadership; the competitor and so on. Colin Kaepernick is a bad dude - ultra-competitive and is/will be, without a question, our franchise QB.