• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaep gaining experience at the expense of second seed?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know I genuinely feel bad for Alex - I really do. It is hard to see him on the sidelines knowing all he has been through and done for our team. He deserved a much better fate and I hope he finds it.

But, after watching Kap now for dozens of hours, my eyes are opened - wide. I'm not quite at the holy shit stage, but I am seeing the QB in Kap; seeing the confidence; the leadership; the competitor and so on. Colin Kaepernick is a bad dude - ultra-competitive and is/will be, without a question, our franchise QB.

How have you been, secondarily, enjoying the Denver Broncos? Do you participate in any Broncos message boards? (I'm not questioning your fandom of the Niners, just a question. I forgot how you became a fan of both. Or perhaps I never asked. If you don't mind me asking, how did you pick these teams? I didn't grow up in SF, but relatives were there before I was born.) Now that we have Kaep, does that make not getting Manning ok for the long term or are you disappointed we didn't get him? Would getting him and letting Kaep sit be better? I remember talking with you about how him going to the Broncos was the best because it lessened the blow (since you still liked the Broncos) and was out of the division. Can you imagine tomorrow's game if he had chosen the Cards? Sure, he would have dealt Seattle a loss or two, but they'd be the team we're competing with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How have you been, secondarily, enjoying the Denver Broncos? Do you participate in any Broncos message boards? (I'm not questioning your fandom of the Niners, just a question.) Now that we have Kaep, does that make not getting Manning ok for the long term or are you disappointed we didn't get him? Would getting him and letting Kaep sit be better? I remember talking with you about how him going to the Broncos was the best because it lessened the blow (since you still liked the Broncos) and was out of the division. Can you imagine tomorrow's game if he had chosen the Cards? Sure, he would have dealt Seattle a loss or two, but they'd be the team we're competing with.

I'm diggin the scene in Denver for sure. Not diggin' the idea of a SB XXIV rematch. Before I signed up here M-Dub gave me some tips, one of which was to use the Broncos board as a test forum for posts - So I visit from time to time for that reason but there is very little traffic.

Your Manning question is a tough one - I can't recall what I wrote but I recall feeling that the risk (health) and the loss (of 49er players) wasn't worth the asking price. Seeing how Peyton is playing and thinking of that level of performance on our team - it is hard to not imagine how easy #6 might have been.

If Manning had gone to Arizona the NFC West would have had 3 10+ win teams. I do know one thing, when Manning retires I want him as our WR's coach! What he has done to Denver's receivers is nothing short of amazing! I think the AFC is the real deal and I can see any of three teams capable of winning the SB.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Before I signed up here M-Dub gave me some tips, one of which was to use the Broncos board as a test forum for posts - So I visit from time to time for that reason but there is very little traffic.

Not following, what do you mean as a test forum? Do you mean to see if you liked message boards? Do you mean to post stats, charts, and stuff like you do? I don't know what a test forum means. Do you mean moderating?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not following, what do you mean as a test forum? Do you mean to see if you liked message boards? Do you mean to post stats, charts, and stuff like you do? I don't know what a test forum means. Do you mean moderating?

You got it - to test posts for alignment, format etc. I now see the site has a post preview so that's cool.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
That would be a brilliant move by SF really. Ault groomed Kaep into a top notch D1 QB and he could probably give SF a million different ways to use him better. I wonder if Harbaugh would let that happen though ( by that I mean taking Aults ideas and actually using them)

Roman actually learned the Pistol from Ault (which is probably why they discovered Kaepernick) so I don't think it would be an issue with Harbaugh as long as it increases their odds of winning.

Harbaugh has always credited Roman for the offense good or bad so I don't think ego or anything like that is an issue.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Unlike you, I actually know what I'm talking about - asking you to qualify anything is tantamount to asking a 2nd grader to explain sex. Their explanation won't even be close but it will be funny as hell to listen to - or in your case read.

I guess what has been said many times is true - those who are not leaders cannot recognize those who are.

Here is the transcript - please point out the answers that speak to you and tell you that Colin lacks leadership qualities.

-Q: What happened out there?

-KAEPERNICK: We didn’t play well enough to win.

-Q: How do you think you played?

-KAEPNERICK: Not good enough to win.

-Q: Did the Seahawks do anything in particular that made it tough?

-KAEPERNICK: No, it was … we weren’t executing on offense.

-Q: Was the crowd noise a factor?

-KAEPERNICK: It’s loud in other stadiums, too. It’s something you have to get used to on the road.

-Q: There were the two delay penalties and the two timeouts you had to call with the play-clock running down. Was that because of the crowd noise?

-KAEPERNICK: We just have to get in and out of the huddle. That is something we can control.

-Q: Can you use this as a learning experience?

-KAEPERNICK: Every time you are on the field you learn something. So we just have to take what we can from this game and move on.

-Q: What specifically can you learn from this?

-KAEPERNICK: We have to play better.

-Q: You already knew that. Did you learn anything more specific than that?

-KAEPERNICK: You’d have to ask a specific question for that.

-Q: As a quarterback, do you feel any added responsibility to do something to lead your team in adverse situations like this? Should you feel any added responsibility?

-KAEPERNICK: I think the whole team knows if you get down you have to keep scoring points. We didn’t do that tonight.

-Q: Were you bothered by some of the Seattle defensive players’ reactions in the fourth quarter when they were up big?

-KAEPERNICK: I’m not paying attention to what their defense is doing. I’m worried about what we’re doing on offense.

-Q: Were they spying you a little?

-KAEPERNICK: I think a couple times.

-Q: Was it frustration not to be able to score a TD after Willis’ INT?

-KAEPERNICK: Yeah, obviously you want to score a touchdown then.

-Q: Frank Gore says this team knows it’s a good team. What do you think the best response is to a game like this?

-KAEPERNICK: We come back and win next week.

-Q: Any hangover from the New England game?

-KAEPERNICK: No, we just didn’t come out and play well tonight.

-Q: Did you think you were throwing the ball all right?

-KAEPERNICK: Yeah, we just have to make more plays in the passing game to win this game.

-Q: Did you get enough a look at Russell Wilson tonight to have any thoughts on his play?

-KAEPERNICK: No, I’m worried about what we’re doing.

A lot of people are making this out to be poor leadership but I don't see it that way.

The media can't stand these kind of interviews but Belichick gives these kinds of interviews all the time after loses and no one considers him a poor leader. Poor sport maybe but not poor leader.

Players really don't care what you say in the media as long as you're not A)throwing any of the players under the bus and B) airing out dirty laundry that should stay in the locker room.

The biggest thing players look for in leadership is action. They are going to look to see how hard you're working and if you're right there every step of the way grinding it out with them. You're always going to have more respect for a guy that's getting his hands just as dirty as yours.

The other big thing is on field performance. When Brady and Manning speak you listen because they have a history of getting it done and getting it done in big moments. You know they are doing their job so you better not screw up yours.

The last thing is how you interact and what you say to players. Montana was never a major vocal guy and you don't need to be the hoot and hollering type either. You have to know the right balance of patting a guy on the back and smacking him across the head all the while making sure you treat them with respect as a person and a fellow athlete.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A lot of people are making this out to be poor leadership but I don't see it that way.

The media can't stand these kind of interviews but Belichick gives these kinds of interviews all the time after loses and no one considers him a poor leader. Poor sport maybe but not poor leader.

Players really don't care what you say in the media as long as you're not A)throwing any of the players under the bus and B) airing out dirty laundry that should stay in the locker room.

The biggest thing players look for in leadership is action. They are going to look to see how hard you're working and if you're right there every step of the way grinding it out with them. You're always going to have more respect for a guy that's getting his hands just as dirty as yours.

The other big thing is on field performance. When Brady and Manning speak you listen because they have a history of getting it done and getting it done in big moments. You know they are doing their job so you better not screw up yours.

The last thing is how you interact and what you say to players. Montana was never a major vocal guy and you don't need to be the hoot and hollering type either. You have to know the right balance of patting a guy on the back and smacking him across the head all the while making sure you treat them with respect as a person and a fellow athlete.

Said very well - Jikkle!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Then keep your mouth shut! - THAT would be taking another page out of my book!

Hardly. I'm expressing my opinion, hopes, and concerns of/for our young starting QB based on my observations and familiarity with the player. I'm not claiming to be an expert. If you disagree, that's fine. Support your claims with evidence rather than calling people names. I don't agree with many of the arguments that are being made against Kap. I do agree with the people making those arguments that you are resorting to ad hominem attacks far more often than actually supporting your position with some sort of evidence that goes beyond, "Because I say so." I thought we'd moved past that over the past few months.

I didn't follow Kap closely in college, but I have since followed him quite closely. And I have watched every Niner game since he's been on the team at least once. I have seen some signs of leadership. I have read some things that indicate he is a good leader in the huddle. I would like to see more signs of leadership personally. That's all I'm saying. If you're perfectly happy with what you've seen, that's great. What have you seen/what do you know about Kap that makes you feel he's such a great leader?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I saw it in the Patriots or Seattle game (one of the NBC games) he was huddled around the oline (?) on the bench. The announcer said something about how Manning does that. It would be early to say it's like Manning, at least in the effect of his words, but he's doing it and will gain from that. It'd be a bit of hyperbole to say that he's the same there as Manning, but I like that I've seen him at least once do that because I'm sure they don't show even most of them.

Great. Then it's possible my concerns in this area are overstated. I watched the Hawks game in a bar at a Chevy's restaurant as my wife dragged me with her to meet with some friends who were in town for the holidays, so I didn't have sound in that one and was somewhat distracted. Not to mention that from halftime on I basically had my head buried in my hands...

Anyway, I am generally quite optimistic about Kap. He's been really impressive for a player who is just in the early stages of his career, and I'm excited to see what he can do with a full offseason as the starter.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great. Then it's possible my concerns in this area are overstated. I watched the Hawks game in a bar at a Chevy's restaurant as my wife dragged me with her to meet with some friends who were in town for the holidays, so I didn't have sound in that one and was somewhat distracted. Not to mention that from halftime on I basically had my head buried in my hands...

Anyway, I am generally quite optimistic about Kap. He's been really impressive for a player who is just in the early stages of his career, and I'm excited to see what he can do with a full offseason as the starter.

Ha ha! I hear ya. It got so bad for me that Clyde banned me for the rest of the day!

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ha ha! I hear ya. It got so bad for me that Clyde banned me for the rest of the day!

The loss is my fault, I think if I had been willing to pay the $250 scalper price per seat the sports gods would have given us a victory. My lack of commitment to the team sealed the deal in their eyes.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Dig up my threads on NFL Turning Point and Sound FX and you'll see some footage of how CK interacts with guys on the sideline.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dig up my threads on NFL Turning Point and Sound FX and you'll see some footage of how CK interacts with guys on the sideline.

I've seen the footage, he mostly seems more an individual guy, talking to Gore, Moss, etc., as opposed to gathering the team around him to do something. Maybe he addresses the o-line together. I think Crimson is right, he is growing into the role, I'm happy with where he is now, look forward to him continuing his growth. If he's at the same place next year in a lot of areas I won't be as pleased.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The loss is my fault, I think if I had been willing to pay the $250 scalper price per seat the sports gods would have given us a victory. My lack of commitment to the team sealed the deal in their eyes.

Damn you!

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nah it's my fault. I made the GDT last week. clearly it threw off balance.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I bear some blame as well. I wasn't wearing my lucky Justin Smith jersey, was wearing a blue t-shirt, and my UW sweatshirt. Stupid of me.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not talking about this message board or anyone in particular, but there seems to be some camps out there. One, looks at the results compared to what they expect of Kaep eventually - of course, that's going to fall short right now - but they don't see that - you get a bunch of, "why aren't we throwing deep" questions. They treat getting the snap off as a permanent flaw of Kaep, or at least one not fixable before the playoffs. (I think it can and will be reduced.) Two, those who look at the results from a small sample of the small sample we have and extrapolate that as if he's doing all that right now all the time. No, he's not, but that's to be expected. You can't expect him to be the Bears guy all the time and you can't ignore the struggles. However, these guys act like he's already polished and does everything better than Smith. I see these guys on Niners.com.

Then, the last group I'd talk about (there are more out there), is where people say he's doing well for where he's at and he has the skills, potential, and work ethic to be great one day and right now he's doing at or beyond any other QB we have in the roster. Some of them are still reserving their opinion for later, not claiming he's the franchise yet, just potential.

I think all of us should be in that last group and all three groups should be rooting for Kaep. Again, this board is not like the comments out on the articles or the Niner.com message board, so don't worry much here.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
What a miserable life it is to be a sports fan.

You spend a majority of your fandom utterly disappointed and you suffer all for that one glimmer of a moment that your team does win a championship.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You spend a majority of your fandom utterly disappointed and you suffer all for that one glimmer of a moment that your team does win a championship.

I wouldn't call that moment a glimmer - it's a short moment, but it could last you a lifetime (not that you wouldn't want more and suffer waiting for one more).

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But that suffering is what makes those moments all the more sweet