• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Kaep gaining experience at the expense of second seed?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i love how people have a double standard when it comes to using stats with smith and kap.

kap has different strengths than does smith. roman needs to figure out how to maximize those strengths for our offense to hit its potential. kap is not very strong in the short passing game. he throws the ball too damn hard and seems to be trying to take too much off those short passes. plays are getting blown up because of it.

roman's offensive gameplan was light years behind what seattle did.

There is no double standard. I have asked you to back up your claim several times and you refuse to do so.

Kap's short game is fine and, as usual, you have provided absolutely nothing to prove otherwise. Instead you have once again been reduced to doing your little stupid dance; the same one you do EVERY time your ridiculous claims are challenged.

Using ESPN splits for ALL 32 starting QB's plus Kaepernick, for passes measuring 10 yards or less, Kap ranks 6th with a 99.6 rating. Rankings for 1-5 are:

Smith............(106.9)
P.Manning......(106.3)
Brady............(104.2)
Roethlisberger.(101.9)
Fitspatrick......(100.6)
Kaepernick.......(99.6)

These numbers were taken yesterday which means they are likely not complete but should be to the same point for all QB's.

Looking at Kaps last 20 incompletions of 10 yards or less:

6 were dropped
5 were defended
4 were thrown away
2 were overthrown
1 was a bad decision/defended
1 was a thrown wide
1 was INT

Kap will throw passes that Alex would not even look at and our receivers need to be aware of this. What was covered to Alex is open to Colin. There will be an adjustment period, but to say that Kap is horrible at the short passing game isn't just wrong - it is fucking stupid.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Smith is first in that list, we should play him for all short pass plays and Kaepernick for all longer passes. We'd have an unbeatable QB. Just kidding, I know that'd be stupid and not possible when some short pass plays were short because the QB chose not to pass the longer pass.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As Smith is first in that list, we should play him for all short pass plays and Kaepernick for all longer passes. We'd have an unbeatable QB. Just kidding, I know that'd be stupid and not possible when some short pass plays were short because the QB chose not to pass the longer pass.

To the point where these stats are recorded, the average % of passes thrown 10 yards or less is 66.7%. (9374 attempts of 10 yards or less/14,064 total pass attempts)

Smith also leads the league for the highest % of passes thrown 10 yards or less at 74.2%

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if someone brings up smith's numbers they get pooped on. yet u bring up passer rating to support your argument.

fact is, kap throws too fucking hard and he's slow in getting the ball out on short passes. we've already seen fumbles and injuries as a result. how many more do we have to see before u get it?

its up to roman to use kap's talents and the talents we have.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic that Bemular( who HATES stats so much that he utterly opposes their use in any manner) FINALLY brings some quantitative data into a conversation to back up his assertion that Kaep is amongst the top QB's in the league on short passes and while he proves himself correct he also proves Smith is the BEST in the league at them. LOL. Nice work man. Stick to your opinions and not factual data.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if someone brings up smith's numbers they get pooped on. yet u bring up passer rating to support your argument.

fact is, kap throws too fucking hard and he's slow in getting the ball out on short passes. we've already seen fumbles and injuries as a result. how many more do we have to see before u get it?

its up to roman to use kap's talents and the talents we have.

LOL!!! Well, iguana, when you suggest that completion % is the only benchmark for measuring a QB's accuracy and ignore several opportunities to explain yourself, then all I can say is that you deserve to be shit on for using statistics.

Regarding Colin throwing hard - You're right; he throws hard, which is one of the many reasons why he is starting. Weren't you just a few weeks ago crying over how horrible Alex was playing because of his lack of velocity? Now you are sniveling because Colin throws with too much velocity?

Look iguana, after 7 games Colin is performing far better than expected in all phases of the position but your addiction to Alex won't let you see any of that. I feel sorry for you and the others suffering from the same affliction.

You have absolutely nothing to offer in support of your claim that Colin is horrible at short passes; so now, in an act of pure desperation you want to blame him for fumbles and injuries? - You're pathetic dude. Time to set Alex free.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ironic that Bemular( who HATES stats so much that he utterly opposes their use in any manner) FINALLY brings some quantitative data into a conversation to back up his assertion that Kaep is amongst the top QB's in the league on short passes and while he proves himself correct he also proves Smith is the BEST in the league at them. LOL. Nice work man. Stick to your opinions and not factual data.

Haha!! Okay, listen-up Falcon-Crest, I am not at all opposed to statistics; I use them nearly every day of my life. I am, however, opposed to those like you using statistics because you don't know what the fuck you're doing with them.

You don't know how to create them, compare them, interpret them or analyze them. You don't know the difference between a variation and a variable; an anomaly and an outlier, and you sure as hell haven't a fucking clue how to differentiate between coincidence, correlation & cause.

Case in point, you believe the QBr is an inferential statistic that defines a qualitative relationship between the rating and the skill and ability of the QB. You confirmed this many times, adding further that: Intangibles are a "weak ass" argument for defining the skill and ability of a QB.

You mentioned how anyone citing Kaepernick's intangibles is selling him short; drawing a comparison to Tim Tebow because Tebow has intangibles while a QB like Peyton Manning, you intimated, doesn't have intangibles because he has FACTS. You then go on to say Colin will ONE DAY "probably" be better than Alex but he isn't a better QB now. <jsmfh>

And finally, regarding Alex Smith's ranking – "News Flash" Captain Deficit Disorder! This is the 49ers board – we know OUR QB's – YOU do not. Do you honestly believe there are 49er fans here surprised by where Alex Smith ranked in a category measuring SHORT PASSES? LMMFAO!!! Where the holy mother fuck did you think he was going rank on a list MEASURING PASSES OF 10 YARDS OR LESS???

Please keep posting – You are one hilarious fuck.

Last edited by a moderator:

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Why are you still here?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad someone's having their laughs today. Laughter is the best medicine. Scratch that, laughter is one of the worst medicines. If you're sick, go see a doctor, don't watch a comedy.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
LOL!!! Well, iguana, when you suggest that completion % is the only benchmark for measuring a QB's accuracy and ignore several opportunities to explain yourself, then all I can say is that you deserve to be shit on for using statistics.

Regarding Colin throwing hard - You're right; he throws hard, which is one of the many reasons why he is starting. Weren't you just a few weeks ago crying over how horrible Alex was playing because of his lack of velocity? Now you are sniveling because Colin throws with too much velocity?

Look iguana, after 7 games Colin is performing far better than expected in all phases of the position but your addiction to Alex won't let you see any of that. I feel sorry for you and the others suffering from the same affliction.

You have absolutely nothing to offer in support of your claim that Colin is horrible at short passes; so now, in an act of pure desperation you want to blame him for fumbles and injuries? - You're pathetic dude. Time to set Alex free.

i was complaining about smith playing while he was hurt.

and your stats support my argument that kap isn't as good in the short passing game. his strength is in the 10-30 range and thats where we should be attacking.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Matt Barrows (Sacramento Bee) come on 95.7 The Game today, and he compared Kaepernick to NHL Sharks player Joe Thornton. I'm not a hockey guy, so do you any of you know what the comparison is? All I know about them is that they have not won a Stanley Cup, but I can't assume that that was the comparison - postseason play. After all, I don't know if Thornton has played well or choked in the playoffs (and obviously Kaep has not played in the playoffs yet) or if the comparison was just on personality. Any help?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was complaining about smith playing while he was hurt.

and your stats support my argument that kap isn't as good in the short passing game. his strength is in the 10-30 range and thats where we should be attacking.

It doesn't matter what caused the lack of velocity iguana - you cited the absence of velocity as the cause for his lack of performance - period!

As for Kap, he's damn good for someone who has thrown less than 200 passes in the NFL - Your argument is dead iguana - let it go.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Matt Barrows (Sacramento Bee) come on 95.7 The Game today, and he compared Kaepernick to NHL Sharks player Joe Thornton.

I tried to go listen to it but its not listed on their podcasts thingy. For what its worth, Thornton is known as a supremely nice and humble guy (even among hockey players who have reputation for niceness.)

That must be what he's talking about, because other than that I don't know what the comparison would be.....hard to compare a hockey player to a football player style-wise. On the ice, Jumbo Joe is one of the all-time great passers, less of a scorer than a playmaker, but like I said, how do you translate that to football?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pointless for this season which is all you guys should be worried about. Nothing is guaranteed in the NFL. Titles need to be won when you have the opportunity to win them. You guys could go 3-13 next year in this league. Kaep has a much higher upside currently and a much lower downside which is all I have ever tried to say. Kaep could be great but he could also be terrible. Smith could be good or he could be average. Id take Kaep in a 1 game scenario but not to try to win a Super Bowl. Too much variance in his performance so far. 6+ games. 2 great ones, 2 good ones, an average one and a stinker. That means 67% of the time currently he will be good enough to win a playoff game but 33% of the time you are going to lose. Thats not going to cut it in a 4 game scenario IMO.

You're right, including us winning the SB with Alex Smith. If you can't guarantee me that, I don't see why we should go with Alex.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QB debate is over, Kaepernick is our starting qb, Smith is number two and is likely to be cut or traded in the offseason because of his salary cap number. Harbaugh made the decision and it's not going to change. The only worthwhile debate is how Kaepernick is doing, and what he needs to do to get better.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The QB debate is over, Kaepernick is our starting qb, Smith is number two and is likely to be cut or traded in the offseason because of his salary cap number. Harbaugh made the decision and it's not going to change. The only worthwhile debate is how Kaepernick is doing, and what he needs to do to get better.

True. Unless Kaep loses the opening round playoff game and plays like shit doing it. Then all of the sudden it will be " man what a terrible move by Harbaugh". CK has played well for the most part but the things he needs in order to be better arent anything he can gain in the next week ie: experience and leadership. Pouting like a whiny bitch after the Seattle game proves that. One thing no one will ever argue that CK has over Alex is mental toughness. You guys need to hope the games in the playoffs dont start poorly or it could go south in a hurry. That said CK has a much higher upside so we will see what happens.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. Unless Kaep loses the opening round playoff game and plays like shit doing it. Then all of the sudden it will be " man what a terrible move by Harbaugh". CK has played well for the most part but the things he needs in order to be better arent anything he can gain in the next week ie: experience and leadership. Pouting like a whiny bitch after the Seattle game proves that. One thing no one will ever argue that CK has over Alex is mental toughness. You guys need to hope the games in the playoffs dont start poorly or it could go south in a hurry. That said CK has a much higher upside so we will see what happens.

I think, right or wrong, people have already determined that whatever Kaep does, Smith would have done the same or worse and that if we lose, it'll be due to Justin Smith and Manningham's injuries. Not saying blank check, but they've moved on with Smith and have bought whatever Kaep and Harbaugh is selling. Not saying this is right or wrong or if Smith would be afforded the same contextual defense, but that's how I see some have already determined.

I'm comfortable with Kaep and Harbaugh and will see how it goes with them. Kaep does have some things Smith didn't consistently do. It's up to Harbaugh and Roman to gameplan according to Kaep's strengths and weaknesses and for the players to execute. I know Smith has mental toughness, but won't assume Kaep doesn't based on the sample size we've seen.

Last edited by a moderator:

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think, right or wrong, people have already determined that whatever Kaep does, Smith would have done the same or worse and that if we lose, it'll be due to Justin Smith and Manningham's injuries. Not saying blank check, but they've moved on with Smith and have bought whatever Kaep and Harbaugh is selling. Not saying this is right or wrong or if Smith would be afforded the same contextual defense, but that's how I see some have already determined.

I'm comfortable with Kaep and Harbaugh and will see how it goes with them. Kaep does have some things Smith didn't consistently do. It's up to Harbaugh and Roman to gameplan according to Kaep's strengths and weaknesses and for the players to execute. I know Smith has mental toughness, but won't assume Kaep doesn't based on the sample size we've seen.

I guess that is why issue with this whole stupid argument. People want to credit CK for things based on what they have seen in 6 games but dont want to discredit him for things in the same span. The reality is the guy is 4-2-1 in the last 7 games that he has finished. Thats the end game and while its OK its not any better than what Smith did the last year and half ( in fact its worse). I have no issue with thinking Kaep is better but to get all up in arms when a neutral party says that maybe he isnt better is stupid. I get it, alot of Niner fans hate Smith, doesnt mean Kaep is better just because you didnt like the other guy. I personally hope you guys make the NFC title game and get the smile slapped off your face in Atlanta while Kaep plays like shit. Then I can celebrate and be an asshole all at the same time :) LOL.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
People want to credit CK for things based on what they have seen in 6 games but dont want to discredit him for things in the same span.

That is actually a fantastic point.