• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is there even a point in small market teams in the NBA?

GhostOfPoverty

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time a small market team won the NBA championship? The Golden Sate titles, Cleveland in 2016, Miami in 2006, 2012, and 2013 (4 of these Cleveland/Miami titles won with LeBron hand picking super teams, and the Cleveland one of those titles happening to be based on LeBron committing to getting a title for his home town team) and Detroit in 2004 is about as close as we got to a "small market" team winning an NBA title in the past two decades. Then you have to go all the way back to 1989/1990 for two more Detroit wins. But I have a tough time calling any of those true small market areas considering their greater metro areas and fan bases as a result.

So when was the last time a true small market team won a championship? Looking at the list, 1971 with the Milwakee Bucks looks like the last time it actually happened. Prior to that, you have to go all the way back to the 40's and 50's and look at teams like the old Minneapolis Lakers to find any. Really makes it seem pointless to put much stock into rooting for a small market NBA team. They never win anything.

Edit - this isn't intended to rustle any feathers. Just view it as a lighthearted discussion.

Last edited:

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want people only in major markets to see live basketball?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could ask what is the point of having basketball in some major markets just as easily. When was the last time New York won a championship? Atlanta, Houston, Philly, Washington?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small market owners make a lot of money. The players make a lot of money. The fans have something to watch. The stores and restaurants around the team make a lot of money.

Championships are great, but there are other benefits to having an NBA team. I live in a place does not have an NFL team and I wish they did. I wouldn't want them to be winning only under four games, but anything other than that would least be something local. Even if they never won a championship, ever.

Reactions: DJ

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When was the last time a small market team won the NBA championship? The Golden Sate titles, Cleveland in 2016, Miami in 2006, 2012, and 2013 (4 of these Cleveland/Miami titles won with LeBron hand picking super teams, and the Cleveland one of those titles happening to be based on LeBron committing to getting a title for his home town team) and Detroit in 2004 is about as close as we got to a "small market" team winning an NBA title in the past two decades. Then you have to go all the way back to 1989/1990 for two more Detroit wins. But I have a tough time calling any of those true small market areas considering their greater metro areas and fan bases as a result.

So when was the last time a true small market team won a championship? Looking at the list, 1971 with the Milwakee Bucks looks like the last time it actually happened. Prior to that, you have to go all the way back to the 40's and 50's and look at teams like the old Minneapolis Lakers to find any. Really makes it seem pointless to put much stock into rooting for a small market NBA team. They never win anything.

Edit - this isn't intended to rustle any feathers. Just view it as a lighthearted discussion.

The Warriors have been to the finals 4 staright years, have won it 3 times and are favored to make it 4 out of 5 and complete a 3-peat. They also won it in the 70's.

Cleveland has been to the finals 4 straight times and won it once.

Miami made it 4 straight times and won it twice, plus they had another title before Lebron arrived, so that gives them 3 total.

San Antonio has 5 titles in 6 finals appearances.

Unless you count Boston as part of the Eastern seaboard, they are not a big market. They have 17 titles (more than any other franchise).

While some of the other smaller market teams haven't won anything (or haven't in a long time) several (Milwaukee and OKC for example) have exciting young stars and the talent to at least make some noise in the playoffs.

Add in what @logic pointed out re: Atlanta, Houston, Philly and Washington and you can say that, of the large market teams, the Lakers are the only large market team that has won consistently and even they are in the process of rebuilding and have missed the playoffs for 5 straight years.

In short, I'd say the small market teams are doing pretty well.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Small market teams are at an extreme disadvantage. But there is a reason to have them.

And if LeBron "handpicked a super team" in Cleveland, he is doing the same in LA. Because LA is Cleveland 1 year earlier in the process. LA is not a super team, nor was Cleveland when LBJ signed there.

Myles

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small market teams have it tough, but if they are still profitable, they have a reason to exist. It also works as a form of a minor league for large market teams. It's a shame that the NBA wasn't more like the NFL in that the market doesn't matter as much to the players.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Antonio is a major market?
You practically took the words out of my mouth - I was about to say San Antonio is a small market as is Dallas, and the Spurs have been in the top five most of the time in the last 18 years - Very well managed. The Oklahoma Thunder would have easily won two or three championships if they hadn't broke up the team over money

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Small market teams are at an extreme disadvantage. But there is a reason to have them.

And if LeBron "handpicked a super team" in Cleveland, he is doing the same in LA. Because LA is Cleveland 1 year earlier in the process. LA is not a super team, nor was Cleveland when LBJ signed there.
Los Angeles is Not Clevand one year in the process and not even close. Unlike Cleveland then or now, the Lakers have a core of really good young players who are still wet behind the ears. While you think they will never be worth anything, the fact remains that they are the old veterans with less shelf life and zero potential to grow - That was on the Cavaliers. If these young players on the Lakers live up to their expectations, they could be a pretty good team. To be a super-team, I agree the Lakers are not there - but it is possible now that the Lakers have bought out Luol Deng and will have 38 million in salary to sign another big agent. The Lakers might not ever beat the Warriors - but they are way ahead of Cleveland - My condolences to @WiggyRuss

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles is Not Clevand one year in the process and not even close. Unlike Cleveland then or now, the Lakers have a core of really good young players who are still wet behind the ears. While you think they will never be worth anything, the fact remains that they are the old veterans with less shelf life and zero potential to grow - That was on the Cavaliers. If these young players on the Lakers live up to their expectations, they could be a pretty good team. To be a super-team, I agree the Lakers are not there - but it is possible now that the Lakers have bought out Luol Deng and will have 38 million in salary to sign another big agent. The Lakers might not ever beat the Warriors - but they are way ahead of Cleveland - My condolences to @WiggyRuss

OMG. Really?

Cleveland had Kyrie, Wiggins, TT, Waiters, and a bunch on unproven players when LeBron signed there. That core is actually a lot like what the Lakers have now. Kyrie was further along than anyone in LA and they had the assets to deal for Love while keeping Kyrie. That is why they are further along than the current Lakers.

You should really try to understand what I am saying before trying to rip it up. And even then, you should pause and think twice because there is a 0.0% chance you will ever top me in a basketball debate.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reading this thread it feels like y'all only count LA, Chicago, NY, and Philly as large market teams.

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could ask what is the point of having basketball in some major markets just as easily. When was the last time New York won a championship? Atlanta, Houston, Philly, Washington?
Clippers-1.jpg

/end thread

Mecca

ClipGangOrDontBang
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,999.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OMG. Really?

Cleveland had Kyrie, Wiggins, TT, Waiters, and a bunch on unproven players when LeBron signed there. That core is actually a lot like what the Lakers have now. Kyrie was further along than anyone in LA and they had the assets to deal for Love while keeping Kyrie. That is why they are further along than the current Lakers.

You should really try to understand what I am saying before trying to rip it up. And even then, you should pause and think twice because there is a 0.0% chance you will ever top me in a basketball debate.
You just keep trying.

:gaah:

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"then or now"

dude, Kyrie Irving was 22 when LEBron came to Cleveland. Love was 26..those guys are so far and above anything the lakers have right now its not funny. The Lakers are LIGHT YEARS behind where Cleveland was when LeBron came back.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"then or now"

dude, Kyrie Irving was 22 when LEBron came to Cleveland. Love was 26..those guys are so far and above anything the lakers have right now its not funny. The Lakers are LIGHT YEARS behind where Cleveland was when LeBron came back.

The reason I say 1 year is because if you add Kawhi next summer, the Laker core will be better than what Cleveland ever had. Of course that is a big if, but with cap space to sign a max player I expect the Lakers to land somebody really good next year.

Also, I was comparing what they had when LeBron signed. Love was not on the roster.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 142,300.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I quit reading when someone said Dallas is a small market.

Iggloo

Fly, Eagles Fly
Hoopla Cash
$ 150.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
San Antonio is actually the sixth largest city in the US now, and Austin, another fast growing city, is an hour away, so it is a larger market than many realize.

That said, it was a smaller market more than a decade ago, and the Spurs still won big through smart drafting (and yes, some tanking).

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, can't see the Spurs as a small market. Probably not as well known a city as Dallas or Houston but still a well known city. Their basketball team has been the model of consistency in the NBA for as long as I can remember.