• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

“If you’re not the champs, you suck”

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the approach Dame had alluded to last spring when he said “we can’t keep pretending that nothing else matters”.

Call Lillard a hypocrite for ring chasing (this offseason) if you’d like, but this is this exact mindset that has taken a toll on the NBA for quite some time… And this post is coming from a guy that just saw his team win a title. As fans, we all need to do a better job at leveling off this mindset from time to time.

There aren’t 29 failures at the end of every NBA season (Believe that part was Steve Kerr :thumb:).

The Nuggets beat the Lakers in the conference finals and the Heat in the NBA finals in 2023, but that’s done. Each and every team needs to prove itself all over again w/ the new season. That’s just how life works. I’ll be changing this avi by opening night…

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That’s the approach Dame had alluded to last spring when he said “we can’t keep pretending that nothing else matters”.

Call Lillard a hypocrite for ring chasing (this offseason) if you’d like, but this is this exact mindset that has taken a toll on the NBA for quite some time… And this post is coming from a guy that just saw his team win a title. As fans, we all need to do a better job at leveling off this mindset from time to time.

There aren’t 29 failures at the end of every NBA season (Believe that part was Steve Kerr :thumb:).

The Nuggets beat the Lakers in the conference finals and the Heat in the NBA finals in 2023, but that’s done. Each and every team needs to prove itself all over again w/ the new season. That’s just how life works. I’ll be changing this avi by opening night…
What is your point here? You post is as clear as mud. You drinking or just sleep deprived?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The calendar said he was due for another useless thread.
But even if you don’t like ‘Cane’s posts one can usually discern their purpose whether you agree or not. This one I can’t tell if he even agrees with his headline, what his point about Dame is, or why the hell we care about his avatar.
Just one giant pile of mud.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awkward The Simpsons GIF

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's winning and then there's misery. - Pat Riley

I get your point. Only 1 team can win the title and it's not just 1 team having a successful season and 29 failures.

The problem is, that's actually kind of true. The goal for every team, every year is to win the title. Obviously, each season that goal is more realistic for some teams than others...but it's still the goal.

I do agree to a point that there are degrees of success for some of the teams that don't win the title, especially when it leaves the team and fans with hope for next season.

For example, the Lakers overcoming that 2-10 start, overhauling the roster at the trade deadline and making an unexpected run to the WCF wasn't exactly a failure of a season...but it still was short of the goal.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don’t have the mindset of there is one champion and 29 failures you are and will remain one of the 29.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you don’t have the mindset of there is one champion and 29 failures you are and will remain one of the 29.

Yep, the saying is that teams have to be able to sell winning or hope. That's good for the fans as they can say look how many more games they won and/or that they made the playoffs.

But even that only goes so far because eventually fans are going to get tired of only being sold hope every year.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, the saying is that teams have to be able to sell winning or hope. That's good for the fans as they can say look how many more games they won and/or that they made the playoffs.

But even that only goes so far because eventually fans are going to get tired of only being sold hope every year.
Makes you wonder, if it weren’t for corporate write offs would MSG be empty?

I jest, I jest.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sure, but in the case of Dame, maybe if your team isn't a contender, then you aren't the player you think you are. Does getting a ring Durant-style improve your legacy?

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure, but in the case of Dame, maybe if your team isn't a contender, then you aren't the player you think you are. Does getting a ring Durant-style improve your legacy?
Nobody does it alone, and the team didn’t fill out a roster with him. I don’t think anyone blames Lillard. And where would KD be without his ring chasing? Another on the list great player that never won a ring? Is that better?
Like it or not, we are in the era of great players stacking the deck to win if they can. Not everyone can be as lucky as Bird and Magic getting drafter onto already great teams with great front offices and coaches.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody does it alone, and the team didn’t fill out a roster with him. I don’t think anyone blames Lillard. And where would KD be without his ring chasing? Another on the list great player that never won a ring? Is that better?
Like it or not, we are in the era of great players stacking the deck to win if they can. Not everyone can be as lucky as Bird and Magic getting drafter onto already great teams with great front offices and coaches.

We'll never know about Durant because he took the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" route like a total beta.

This team that supposedly didn't fill out a roster just re-signed their biggest free agent and added potentially the second best player in the draft. If they had gotten lucky and got the #1 pick instead of #3, does that suddenly mean they did enough?

Trying to join an existing playoff team does not make you a contender, just an add-on to an already contending team. I don't blame teams for trying to add players like these, but question the headspace of players that blame their existing teams and force their way elsewhere. Both he and Beal played the good guy card until it suited them otherwise. Both players' franchises would've been better suited to move those players before they lost any leverage.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More expected dumbfuckery from hurricane. At least he's consistent.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More expected dumbfuckery from hurricane. At least he's consistent.

It's that old favorite where fans try to lower expectations at the beginning of a season by being conservative.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team that supposedly didn't fill out a roster just re-signed their biggest free agent and added potentially the second best player in the draft. If they had gotten lucky and got the #1 pick instead of #3, does that suddenly mean they did enough?

Trying to join an existing playoff team does not make you a contender, just an add-on to an already contending team. I don't blame teams for trying to add players like these, but question the headspace of players that blame their existing teams and force their way elsewhere. Both he and Beal played the good guy card until it suited them otherwise. Both players' franchises would've been better suited to move those players before they lost any leverage.
Are you talking about resigning Jerami Grant. Yes, it's nice, but it already wasn't near enough before, so I'm not sure how that is making the team more attractive to stay. And drafting Scoot, who plays the exact game as Lillard is not the team helping him out, but it is the team saying don't let the door hit you in the ass.

You would prefer Dame said, I will only go to a non-contending team to prove myself? That is ridiculous. Like it or not this is kind of the inevitable result of free agency with a powerful players union, guys free to chase rings. You sound like you'd like to go back to the days the owners had more power and the players were virtually locked to the team that drafted them. I bet you'd like to see defense played and travelling called as well---LOL.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a stupid question

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you talking about resigning Jerami Grant. Yes, it's nice, but it already wasn't near enough before, so I'm not sure how that is making the team more attractive to stay. And drafting Scoot, who plays the exact game as Lillard is not the team helping him out, but it is the team saying don't let the door hit you in the ass.

You would prefer Dame said, I will only go to a non-contending team to prove myself? That is ridiculous. Like it or not this is kind of the inevitable result of free agency with a powerful players union, guys free to chase rings. You sound like you'd like to go back to the days the owners had more power and the players were virtually locked to the team that drafted them. I bet you'd like to see defense played and travelling called as well---LOL.

Go ahead and push straw man arguments if you like.

The reason the Blazers were not a contender is because Dame is not a #1 on a contending team. When players demand trades because they can't win where they are, that's a sure sign that the player in question in their current state is at best a #2 or a #3 on a contender. How were the Blazers going to add the #1 that they needed to contend?

I'm not saying Dame shouldn't be able to move. The reality is that Portland waited too long and should've traded him before that max contract knee-capped his trade value and trade options.

Dame couldn't play with Scoot? Dame is a scorer, first and foremost. Scoot is a combo guard as well.