• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

“If you’re not the champs, you suck”

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet, all still part of the story of the NBA. Pretty sure KD's legacy is stronger thanks to that move.

Would Barkley or Malone's legacy have benefitted if their ring chasing moves had resulted in titles?

Circumstances as a thing. Getting a ring in a lesser role has diminished impact on legacy. Do you value Horry's rings as much as MJ's? I'm not equating Durant's rings with either, he's somewhere in between (and obviously closer to MJ).

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Circumstances as a thing. Getting a ring in a lesser role has diminished impact on legacy. Do you value Horry's rings as much as MJ's? I'm not equating Durant's rings with either, he's somewhere in between (and obviously closer to MJ).
The entire point is that KD HAS rings (and FMVPs on an all time great team), thus his legacy is stronger than if he didn't.

You asked a question about his legacy, you have your answer.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet, all still part of the story of the NBA. Pretty sure KD's legacy is stronger thanks to that move.

Would Barkley or Malone's legacy have benefitted if their ring chasing moves had resulted in titles?

Titles are kind of the tiebreaker/separator between all time greats. So, they definitely strengthen a players legacy.

In the Malone/Barkley example...just 1 title would move them from "2 of the greatest players to never win a title" status to "2 of the greatest players in history". They are also pretty close in ranking in greatest PF's ever, so if one had a ring and the other didn't, the one with the ring would ahead of the 1 without.

Also, Shaq and Kenny wouldn't be able to keep Chuck out of certain rooms at their set by putting "Champions Only" signs on the door. lol

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Titles are kind of the tiebreaker/separator between all time greats. So, they definitely strengthen a players legacy.

In the Malone/Barkley example...just 1 title would move them from "2 of the greatest players to never win a title" status to "2 of the greatest players in history". They are also pretty close in ranking in greatest PF's ever, so if one had a ring and the other didn't, the one with the ring would ahead of the 1 without.

Also, Shaq and Kenny wouldn't be able to keep Chuck out of certain rooms at their set by putting "Champions Only" signs on the door. lol
I agree but would shopson give any value to Malone joining the stacked Lakers to get his, or Barkley joining the sort of stacked Rockets?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but would shopson give any value to Malone joining the stacked Lakers to get his, or Barkley joining the sort of stacked Rockets?

Don't know if he would, but I would.

Yes, they were both older and because of the talent around them, had somewhat diminished roles...but they were both still starters and significant players on those teams.

Heck, I've heard the argument made that Malone getting hurt is a big part of why the Lakers lost that finals. I don't agree with it, but I've heard it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not as much if he had won with the Jazz. Barkley is a bit different as he was with the Rockets for longer.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heck, I've heard the argument made that Malone getting hurt is a big part of why the Lakers lost that finals. I don't agree with it, but I've heard it.

It was definitely a part of their downfall, sure. Much as losing any role player would be. That's the thing, we're not talking about Karl Malone the team leader anymore (if he had received a ring with the Lakers), we're talking about Karl Malone the role player. That's not the same legacy impact.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was definitely a part of their downfall, sure. Much as losing any role player would be. That's the thing, we're not talking about Karl Malone the team leader anymore (if he had received a ring with the Lakers), we're talking about Karl Malone the role player. That's not the same legacy impact.

Meh, yes and no.

It definitely wouldn't be the same as if he would have led the Jazz to a title in his prime. But as I pointed out upthread, he was still a starter and an important player for them.

Yes, his role was diminished, but it would have been diminished if he joined the Lakers in his prime (or close to it) because of Shaq and Kobe. It just wouldn't have been quite as diminished.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No they didn't, the Pacers didn't even make the playoffs, you mean the team you latched onto because your actually teams sucks won a title.
Oh god, we have to rehash this again.
For those not paying attention, he latched on the Nuggets while they still sucked.
While odd to have 2 teams, not a bandwagoner.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anyone ever again questions why we’ve resorted to having a mid-season tournament, this thread should explain it all…

We can’t keep pretending like nothing else matters.” - Damian Lillard

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those not paying attention, he latched on the Nuggets while they still sucked.
This point I’ve given up on talking to that guy. Hate to bash my home state, but there’s some real shitty politics here in Indiana and he’s a prime example.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think when comparing greats you have to remember their greatest moments. Kobe before he died was mentioned a lot in basketball conversations and so does Shaq. Now guys like Charles Barkley and Tracy McGrady as great as they were when they played today they are just honestly known for working TNT and ESPN with chuck making funny jokes with shaq. If you want to be remembered you have to win championships if not you will be tossed to the area of remembered great players that never won.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well I think when comparing greats you have to remember their greatest moments. Kobe before he died was mentioned a lot in basketball conversations and so does Shaq. Now guys like Charles Barkley and Tracy McGrady as great as they were when they played today they are just honestly known for working TNT and ESPN with chuck making funny jokes with shaq. If you want to be remembered you have to win championships if not you will be tossed to the area of remembered great players that never won.

Chuck will never live down his golf swing.

HurricaneDij39

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Away we go...

The pros are now participating in holiday tournaments just as the HS students are... Welcome to the 2020's.

Of course, few fans will take any sort of responsibility for why this setup has been implemented...

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Away we go...

The pros are now participating in holiday tournaments just as the HS students are... Welcome to the 2020's.

Of course, few fans will take any sort of responsibility for why this setup has been implemented...

Ok...why was this implemented and why will "few fans take any sort of responsibility" for it?

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For those not paying attention, he latched on the Nuggets while they still sucked.<----

giphy (4).gif :heh: