• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

“If you’re not the champs, you suck”

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who here things more of Durant because he signed with the Warriors?
Who here thinks Durant's legacy would be greater with no rings instead of 2 finals MVPs anchoring one of the top 5 teams that ever existed? Besides you I mean.

HurricaneDij39

The Middle of Everywhere: NWI
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But even if you don’t like ‘Cane’s posts one can usually discern their purpose whether you agree or not. This one I can’t tell if he even agrees with his headline, what his point about Dame is, or why the hell we care about his avatar.
Just one giant pile of mud.
Point being, even living near Chicago both today and in the 90’s, I’ve never once viewed the NBA as the Bulls and 28 sucky teams.

Why that’s the case in the post-Decision NBA I’ll never know.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ahead and push straw man arguments if you like.

The reason the Blazers were not a contender is because Dame is not a #1 on a contending team. When players demand trades because they can't win where they are, that's a sure sign that the player in question in their current state is at best a #2 or a #3 on a contender. How were the Blazers going to add the #1 that they needed to contend?

I'm not saying Dame shouldn't be able to move. The reality is that Portland waited too long and should've traded him before that max contract knee-capped his trade value and trade options.

Dame couldn't play with Scoot? Dame is a scorer, first and foremost. Scoot is a combo guard as well.
Sure, LeBron wasn’t the #1 on any of his championship teams. Got it.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But let’s say Dame doesn’t win w/ the Bucks… Does it make anyone think less of him?
Maybe a few idiots. Not me. Got no problem with players 'ring chasing' especially when they stay put for a long time trying to make it work where they were drafted. He only has so many years left. This is the modern NBA, players move around. And I like it.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's winning and then there's misery. - Pat Riley

I get your point. Only 1 team can win the title and it's not just 1 team having a successful season and 29 failures.

The problem is, that's actually kind of true. The goal for every team, every year is to win the title. Obviously, each season that goal is more realistic for some teams than others...but it's still the goal.

I do agree to a point that there are degrees of success for some of the teams that don't win the title, especially when it leaves the team and fans with hope for next season.

For example, the Lakers overcoming that 2-10 start, overhauling the roster at the trade deadline and making an unexpected run to the WCF wasn't exactly a failure of a season...but it still was short of the goal.
If you think I didn't celebrate the "We Believe Warriors" team like we didn't just cap off a perfect season with a championship, you'd be dead wrong.

Every teams objective should always be to exceed expectations. Growth every year. What that means to each team though is different. A team could lose 50 games this year but overall it be a good season for them because they developed their young players and set the foundation. Likewise a team could win 50 games and it could be a failure of a season. Context is everything.

logic

Hoopla Cash
$ 69,974.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point being, even living near Chicago both today and in the 90’s, I’ve never once viewed the NBA as the Bulls and 28 sucky teams.

Why that’s the case in the post-Decision NBA I’ll never know.
The other teams don’t suck necessarily, but their seasons were a failure, and that sucks.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who here thinks Durant's legacy would be greater with no rings instead of 2 finals MVPs anchoring one of the top 5 teams that ever existed? Besides you I mean.

Anchoring? That team belongs to Steph.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But let’s say Dame doesn’t win w/ the Bucks… Does it make anyone think less of him?

It doesn't for me. Championships are team accomplishments. I do think the defensive change from Jrue to Dame could hurt them, but maybe his offense can offset enough of that.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anchoring? That team belongs to Steph.
That team was pretty great before KD showed up. After he showed up he was the best player (one could argue for Steph there) on one of the greatest teams ever. Use whatever word you want for that, and keep trying to sell him having a better legacy with no rings instead of that.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That team was great before KD showed up. After he showed up they become one of the greatest teams ever. Use whatever word you want for that, and keep trying to sell him having a better legacy with no rings instead of that.

I call it coattail-riding. He would have a better legacy competing as the #1 instead is my point. Getting beat in the WCF in a 7 game series by the 73 win Warriors then joining them a few months later was weak. Great opportunity for the Warriors, no doubt.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I call it coattail-riding. He would have a better legacy competing as the #1 instead is my point. Getting beat in the WCF in a 7 game series by the 73 win Warriors then joining them a few months later was weak. Great opportunity for the Warriors, no doubt.
Don't really see how he'd have a better legacy 'competing' and getting no rings vs 2 FMVPs on one of the greatest teams ever assembled.

Would KAJ have a better legacy if he stayed in Milwaukee?

These things are of course entirely subjective. That's how you see things, but not how most of us do.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't really see how he'd have a better legacy 'competing' and getting no rings vs 2 FMVPs on one of the greatest teams ever assembled.

Would KAJ have a better legacy if he stayed in Milwaukee?

These things are of course entirely subjective. That's how you see things, but not how most of us do.

Durant was pretty widely chastised for joining the Warriors. I'm not the only one.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Durant was pretty widely chastised for joining the Warriors. I'm not the only one.
We're not talking about the reaction at the time. We're talking legacy. When his career is over, his legacy will include being the best player on one of the best teams ever with 2 FMVPs at least, vs 'competing' somewhere with no rings.

Never answered my question about KAJ, which is illustrative.

Again, you're free to feel however you like, the consensus on him will be more impressed by his resume than if he hadn't joined them.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're not talking about the reaction at the time. We're talking legacy. When his career is over, his legacy will include being the best player on one of the best teams ever with 2 FMVPs at least, vs 'competing' somewhere with no rings.

Never answered my question about KAJ, which is illustrative.

Again, you're free to feel however you like, the consensus on him will be more impressed by his resume than if he hadn't joined them.

Illustrative of what? I didn't deviate from the topic at hand? KAJ claimed he wanted out of Milwaukee for culture reasons, to be somewhere where he felt more comfortable personally and lifestyle wise. He had three teams on his list (Knicks - his first choice, Bullets and Lakers). He had already won a championship with the Bucks, so it wasn't ring chasing at age 28. The Bullets actually would've been more of a ring chase at the time.

Time may cloak the reality of Durant's beta move, sure.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illustrative of what? I didn't deviate from the topic at hand? KAJ claimed he wanted out of Milwaukee for culture reasons, to be somewhere where he felt more comfortable personally and lifestyle wise. He had three teams on his list (Knicks - his first choice, Bullets and Lakers). He had already won a championship with the Bucks, so it wasn't ring chasing at age 28. The Bullets actually would've been more of a ring chase at the time.

Time may cloak the reality of Durant's beta move, sure.
Illustrative how players leaving teams to win rings with other teams adds to their legacy, it doesn't detract. KAJ has a much higher stature than if he'd stayed on the Bucks, and KD has one thanks to being the best part of that all time great team.

And didn't we all benefit from that? I wasn't a Bulls fan but it was great seeing that team reach all time great level when Rodman and Kukoc and Harper joined MJ and Pippen.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Illustrative how players leaving teams to win rings with other teams adds to their legacy, it doesn't detract. KAJ has a much higher stature than if he'd stayed on the Bucks, and KD has one thanks to being the best part of that all time great team.

And didn't we all benefit from that? I wasn't a Bulls fan but it was great seeing that team reach all time great level when Rodman and Kukoc and Harper joined MJ and Pippen.

KAJ didn't leave to win rings. Rodman and Kukoc were role players, different situation.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
KAJ didn't leave to win rings. Rodman and Kukoc were role players, different situation.
And yet, all still part of the story of the NBA. Pretty sure KD's legacy is stronger thanks to that move.

Would Barkley or Malone's legacy have benefitted if their ring chasing moves had resulted in titles?