• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Russell Wilson worth $20m a year?

Is Russell Wilson worth $20m a year?

• Yes

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 34 49.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. Once Lynch is out hopefully we can spend that money saved on quality O-linemen

Let's be honest, he IS your running game and your passing game is based largely around the understanding that RW must run for his life within a sec of snapping the ball. When ML leaves, can Turbin or Micheal have THAT kind of production at RB to carry your running game despite getting hit behind the line of scrimmage consistently? You guys NEED to get some OL help like yesterday. IDK why your FO hasn't put a bigger emphasis on it as of late considering your SB window.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dam, that's a good deal when you consider what other top tier guy's are getting...

He had two "big money" contracts before the 2013 deal. It was time. He also traded potential value for more guaranteed money which is obviously smart.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the sentiment by most Seahawks fans is to pay anything RW wants, which is absurd. If the Seahawks cave to Wilson, I'll lose a little respect for them.
That can easily be solved by trading Wilson to the Browns......

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was on an average team, he still would be the best young QB in the league this side of Andrew Luck under the age of 30.

I don't think there is ANY question about that right now.

When has any player in this league that is one of the best at his position under the age of 30 signed for anything less than a record setting deal for his position (with no injuries to worry about)? I'll save you the trouble of looking it up....never is the answer.

We have never seen a QB of his caliber hit the modern FA market since Brees. And Brees only did because he had a shoulder injury the offseason he was heading into FA.

Anyone thinking he isn't worth $20M a year simply does not understand this league in the LEAST.

The defense makes him look better, but if you read the rest of my comment you will see why he is worth the $20 mil, even with the average stats.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see the sentiment by most Seahawks fans is to pay anything RW wants, which is absurd. If the Seahawks cave to Wilson, I'll lose a little respect for them.
Unfortunately, somewhere around $20M is the going rate.
Would you lose respect for the FO if we let the best QB we have ever had leave?

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple ... He wins. Gotta give the OL a lot of credit, but I think Wilson is a class act. Good for the city of Seattle, good for the NFL and good for the USA. I hope he stays in Seattle.

Money

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Russell Wilson is worth what teams are willing to pay him and there are several QB-starved teams that would throw more than $20/mil per year at him given the opportunity.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's be honest, he IS your running game and your passing game is based largely around the understanding that RW must run for his life within a sec of snapping the ball. When ML leaves, can Turbin or Micheal have THAT kind of production at RB to carry your running game despite getting hit behind the line of scrimmage consistently? You guys NEED to get some OL help like yesterday. IDK why your FO hasn't put a bigger emphasis on it as of late considering your SB window.
Completely agree. Too make matters worth, that money that we free up when Lynch is done will probably be funneled to RW/Wagner and none of it will make its way to the OL. That is when the Seahawks will be knocked off its perch.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Completely agree. Too make matters worth, that money that we free up when Lynch is done will probably be funneled to RW/Wagner and none of it will make its way to the OL. That is when the Seahawks will be knocked off its perch.
I think both RW/ Wagner will be signed before Lynch is done.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you stand in line to pay $9.75 for your next beer at an NFL game, remember you said this.
The salary Cap itself will stop this. The team can only pay so much, so even paying one guy 35 million would in theory have no effect on the cost of said beer.

The carte blanche approval, neigh delight to pay an athlete over $1,000,000 per game blows me the fuck away.
Agree 100%. I understand supply and demand, but these athletes ARE in FACT paid way too much.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contract he is seeking out is about $22 million a year (5 year $110 million), if he gets tagged he will make $23 mil in 2016 and will be the highest paid QB in the NFL.

Well, is he the best QB in the NFL?

No.

10th in Qb rating last year.
7th in Qb rating in 2013.
4th in Qb rating his rookie year.

So he is getting worse if you go by QB rating, which doesnt tell you everything.

Seattles' defensive efficiency rating has been number 1 the last 2 years. And number 2 his rookie year. It was at a high in 2013 when they won the Super Bowl.

What I will say he is smart and doesnt make many mistakes but it is much easier when you throw it 100 times less than the elite QB's.

20 TD's doesnt equal $20 mil, no way around it. If he was on an average team he would be an average Qb.

Now, if I were the Seahawks would I pay him that money. Uhh yeah...there is no doubt in my mind. He isnt elite but he is a smart game manager (more than that), controls the pace of the game, makes smart throws, and most importantly has the leadership and experience of winning and winning a Super Bowl at only 26 years old.

Ahh look, the old "his defense is good so his efficiency numbers must be inflated" argument. There is no evidence whatsoever to support that conclusion. None. And intuitively, it doesn't make any sense: Having a good defense means you will be up by more against bad teams. When teams are up big (at least in the Seahawks case), they tend to run more. So no, Russell actually tends to pass more against good defenses, which would make his statistics worse.

But hey, he would be average if he were on an average team. Because average quarterbacks put up a 115 Passer Rating in the Super Bowl against one of football's top five secondaries WITHOUT THROWING A SINGLE PASS TO A DRAFTED WIDE RECEIVER and WITH A #1 WR WHO STARTED THE YEAR WORKING AT FOOT LOCKER is totally normal.

It's strange how in Russell-hater land, having a good defense proves his numbers are inflated but having arguably a bottom five receiving corp plus offensive line is completely irrelevant. Maybe I should start eating lead everyday so I could start to understand why Russell-hater is so fun.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And as for the "$20 Million is to much money for a QB" people, it seems completely ridiculous to me. The amount of "Wilson magic" moments he makes per year is startling, and each of those moments has incredible utility for me at least.

Personally, I have spent well over $1,000 in Wilson-related expenses. I went to the Rose Bowl in 2012 largely because of him, four Badger road games in 2011 (I went to all the home games but would have gone with or without Russ, obviously), Four Seahawks road games since he's reached the NFL, and I own a Wilson Wisconsin jersey and a Wilson Seahawk shirt. If you count the money I've spent from going to bars to watch him and the Bears play simultaneously, it goes up even more. I can only speak for myself and say that I don't regret any of those expenditures. If a movie is worth $5 and a car is worth $20,000, then the collective utility of watching football's most entertaining player is a hell of a lot more than $20 Million per year.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only question that needs to be answered is: If RW hit the open market, could he command at least $20 mil per year?

For me, the answer is yes. It's likely 15 or so teams would immediate begin a bidding war for him. Which would result in him getting substantially more than $20 mil in aav.

If the answer is no, you don't understand how the NFL works.

Any SEA fan who thinks RW is a very good or better QB but doesn't think he should get $20 mil per season, is delusional.

Last edited:

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's simple ... He wins. Gotta give the OL a lot of credit, but I think Wilson is a class act. Good for the city of Seattle, good for the NFL and good for the USA. I hope he stays in Seattle.
Give the O Line credit? Really what games are you watching. The O line is the Hawks biggest weaknesss.

Shanemansj13

Finger Poppin Dat Pussy
Hoopla Cash
$ 506.35
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahh look, the old "his defense is good so his efficiency numbers must be inflated" argument. There is no evidence whatsoever to support that conclusion. None. And intuitively, it doesn't make any sense: Having a good defense means you will be up by more against bad teams. When teams are up big (at least in the Seahawks case), they tend to run more. So no, Russell actually tends to pass more against good defenses, which would make his statistics worse.

But hey, he would be average if he were on an average team. Because average quarterbacks put up a 115 Passer Rating in the Super Bowl against one of football's top five secondaries WITHOUT THROWING A SINGLE PASS TO A DRAFTED WIDE RECEIVER and WITH A #1 WR WHO STARTED THE YEAR WORKING AT FOOT LOCKER is totally normal.

It's strange how in Russell-hater land, having a good defense proves his numbers are inflated but having arguably a bottom five receiving corp plus offensive line is completely irrelevant. Maybe I should start eating lead everyday so I could start to understand why Russell-hater is so fun.

LOL you talking about the game where Seattles' defense dominated, gave up 8 pts, had an int return, a safety, and a kickoff return. Yeah, most QB's would play good with no pressure on them. Like I said he isnt elite, if you think he is elite bc he won one Super Bowl then that is your opinion.

I have nothing against the guy, but he just isnt elite. The only reason you stick up for him is bc he went to Wisconsin and got drafted low and no respect. He deserves the money no doubt but who doesnt nowadays. He has been more impressive than I anticipated though and great get for Seattle.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson gained 2 yards on the ground for every 3 Lynch gained in 2014. I think you may be overstating Lynch's value just a tad.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson gained 2 yards on the ground for every 3 Lynch gained in 2014. I think you may be overstating Lynch's value just a tad.
As I mentioned in a different post. The majority of RWs yards come when he scrambles not designed runs. The defense have their backs to him 20 yards downfield in coverage. Could Brady/Peyton/Rivers do that? No. RW has the speed required to pick up those huge chunks of yards. Not fair comparing hard yards gained by Lynch to Wilsons IMHO.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I mentioned in a different post. The majority of RWs yards come when he scrambles not designed runs. The defense have their backs to him 20 yards downfield in coverage. Could Brady/Peyton/Rivers do that? No. RW has the speed required to pick up those huge chunks of yards. Not fair comparing hard yards gained by Lynch to Wilsons IMHO.
Well, even if what you say is statistically true (and I'm not convnced it is), I'm not sure it's relevant because rushing yards count as rushing yards whether they come from designed runs or off scrambles. Wilson was the 16th leading rusher in the NFL last year and the #1 rusher in the NFL on 3rd down. #1 in ypc also (I'm sure after some minimum number of attempts are factored). So when folks say RW benefits from a "ground game" it just seems to ignore the things he brings himself to said "ground game" because a yard he gains counts just as much as a yard gained by a running back.