• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Russell Wilson worth $20m a year?

Is Russell Wilson worth $20m a year?

• Yes

Votes: 35 50.7%
  • No

Votes: 34 49.3%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

night

Undocumented PhD
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,109.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. As the cap numbers keep rising these contracts are just going to get larger whether or not you feel like he is elite or not is kind of irrelevant. If a team finds a franchise quarterback they're going to be getting big money. It's just the way it is and the way it has been for a while now.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think they would be caving either...It's the market we're in today. RW is going to get paid market value...and it will likely be a 100 mil contract...should he be the highest paid?...probably not, and I don't think that's his real objective.

I've said this before...RW in SEA is a win win...I think he will get a suitor on the open market, and of course it only takes one, but idk if there would be 4 or 5 teams willing to pay him a 100 mil.

Really? I would think there are plenty of QB needy teams that would back the Brinks truck up for Wilson.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton was just saying Seattle would be willing too pay Wilson 22 Mil a year... But for whatever reason it's not getting done...

NEPatsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Argument for:
The statistics do the talking. Wilson is 36-12 in his NFL career, has never lost more than 11 games, 3 playoff appearances, one Superbowl win and one interception away from being two Superbowl wins. I don't believe there is a QB with more playoff wins since Wilson came into the NFL. Has a career QB rating of 98.6. Doesn't have the huge passing yardage or touchdown throws because the Seahawks throw the ball less than most teams in the NFL due to the fact that they have a run heavy offense. Worth noting that in his first two years, he finished 4th in the NFL in yards per pass attempt, and last year finished 7th. So an argument could be made if the Seahawks threw the ball more, he'd have the statistics that would place him in that elite tier of QBs. Lastly, he has done this with one of NFL's worst offensive lines during his entire career. As a Seahawks fan, this is one of my strongest arguments for why Wilson is a great QB, the offensive line he plays behind is so utterly pathetic if a pocket passer was back there he would get destroyed. Also, the Seahawks on paper had basically the same players the year before Russell Wilson came to the Seahawks yet finished 7-9 with Tarvaris Jackson as QB. Once Russell Wilson came, the team improved to 11-5.

Argument against:
His entire career he has quarterbacked the team with one of the best defenses in NFL history. In addition, he has one of the best runningbacks in the NFL. As a result, he hasn't had to carry the team himself. You can make the case that if Russell Wilson had to carry the team, his yards per pass attempt would be lower, and he would have to force more throws because he wouldn't have the run game to set up the pass and as a result that would lead to more interceptions. So there is both a strong case to be made that even his personal statistics, and his team statistics (W/L record, playoff appearances, superbowl wins/appearances) are a result of his supporting cast. Lastly, how will Wilson fare when he gets older? Part of signing a 5-6 year $20m a year contract means that he would be getting paid $20m a year until he is in his early 30s. Will he be able to continue scrambling as well as he does in his 30s? As a Seahawks fan, I can attest that he kept a lot of drives going with his ability to run the ball, and a serious part of his game is that you have to watch out for the option play, which opens things up in the passing game.

So what do you think? Is Russell Wilson worth a 6 year extension worth $120m?

No.

Anything else I can help you with?

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think some of this is him wanting to be compensated for all the work he did for them for basically nothing in qb salary standards. I'd be a little bitter myself. He was like the 3rd highest paid QB on his own flippin team.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? I would think there are plenty of QB needy teams that would back the Brinks truck up for Wilson.

Let's do a down and dirty yay or nay. Keep in mind, this is not about whether RW is better than the current QB, but whether the team would/could pay for his services.

AFCE...NE & MIA, nay...NYJ & BUF, I think yay.

AFCS...IND, JAX, TN...nay...HOU...maybe, pro style OC

AFCN...PIT,BAL,CIN...nay...CLE, yay.

AFCW...DEN,SD,KC,OAK...nay...I think RW is better than the QB in OAK and KC, but IDT either would back up the brinks truck

NFCE...NYG, DAL, nay...WAS/PHI maybe

NFCS...NO,ATL,TB, CAR...nay...all are set @ QB

NFCN...GB,MIN, DET...nay...CHI, maybe, but Cutler's contract is a problem

NFCW...SF...nay, STL...maybe, SEA, yah, AZ...cap

I come away with NYJ, BUF, CLE as the strongest suitors outside of SEA. Maybe Chip.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clayton was just saying Seattle would be willing too pay Wilson 22 Mil a year... But for whatever reason it's not getting done...

I read an article by a former agent. He said there is usually a few major points on these contracts that cause hang-ups. There is a yearly average number, amount of guaranteed, incentives wording, and something else I can't remember.

Each one gets considered and sometimes the players and their agents put more onus on one over the other. They may be in agreement on roughly 22 mil but it may not be as guaranteed as RW would like or they want it in incentives.

A similar issue is going on between the broncos and Demaryius Thomas. They have yearly average (I think) hammered out but they disagree on how much is guaranteed.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was on an average team, he still would be the best young QB in the league this side of Andrew Luck under the age of 30.

I don't think there is ANY question about that right now.

When has any player in this league that is one of the best at his position under the age of 30 signed for anything less than a record setting deal for his position (with no injuries to worry about)? I'll save you the trouble of looking it up....never is the answer.

We have never seen a QB of his caliber hit the modern FA market since Brees. And Brees only did because he had a shoulder injury the offseason he was heading into FA.

Anyone thinking he isn't worth $20M a year simply does not understand this league in the LEAST.

Seems like you are forgetting a 5-time MVP in that equation :2cents:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

As Broncosr0k said the issue is rarely the yearly average. These contracts can easily be inflated by making the last couple of years of the deal have huge base salaries but it being money the player will never see. The issue is the actual guaranteed money. And by that I mean the actual guaranteed as there are plenty of contracts that can have $60 million in guarantees but the actual money a player is guaranteed is closer to like $20 million as the rest of it is maybe injury based or the whole if they are still on the team then this part becomes guaranteed type language. So again the issue here guaranteed money not yearly salary. I would guess now that the $22 million a year is exactly what we will see for him. That is a great starting point but that doesn't mean they are even close to getting a deal done.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've said all along that Luck and Wilson's agents really should be asking for close to $30M and not accept a counter offer until it gets into the $25M range.

Suh's contract was for around $19 per. That is where top positional players contracts are now going to go. And if top positional players are getting paid around $20 per....top QB's really should be making at least $30.

All it would take is a young QB like Luck or Wilson getting pissed and playing out their tags until their team is unwilling to tag them any longer and we would really see what young QB's are worth in this league. $22M isn't even close to what Wilson would get on the open market.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said all along that Luck and Wilson's agents really should be asking for close to $30M and not accept a counter offer until it gets into the $25M range.

Suh's contract was for around $19 per. That is where top positional players contracts are now going to go. And if top positional players are getting paid around $20 per....top QB's really should be making at least $30.

All it would take is a young QB like Luck or Wilson getting pissed and playing out their tags until their team is unwilling to tag them any longer and we would really see what young QB's are worth in this league. $22M isn't even close to what Wilson would get on the open market.

Thats all great in theory until your client has to go out and play out a contract earning him 1.5........... That is an awful lot of risk to take on.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thats all great in theory until your client has to go out and play out a contract earning him 1.5........... That is an awful lot of risk to take on.

Isn't that what a lot of players have to do though? Chris Harris was probably playing for a few hundred thousand in 2014 before contract extension in December of 2014. I understand RW is in line for a bigger payday but there are a lot of players who are playing for peanuts compared to what they will make the following year.

I just wonder if this is a valid argument for getting him signed now. I get the argument and I would probably feel the same way in his shoes.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't that what a lot of players have to do though? Chris Harris was probably playing for a few hundred thousand in 2014 before contract extension in December of 2014. I understand RW is in line for a bigger payday but there are a lot of players who are playing for peanuts compared to what they will make the following year.

I just wonder if this is a valid argument for getting him signed now. I get the argument and I would probably feel the same way in his shoes.

Sure and lots of players sign before they play out that last year. Sherman, ET, Wright, Kam are just seahawks examples the last couple of years.

It's a whole lot more risk for RW who would be leaving a 20 million plus contract on the table. Yes Harris took a ton of risk too, but he's not getting elite QB money. Life changing money? yes, but not 20million plus money...

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a whole lot more risk for RW who would be leaving a 20 million plus contract on the table. Yes Harris took a ton of risk too, but he's not getting elite QB money. Life changing money? yes, but not 20million plus money...

Fair enough.

I have no horse in the race but I am pretty interested in seeing how this plays out and what Russell Wilson is going to make. Talent aside, his character makes me want to root for him.

BF4L

Black/Gold Glasses
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,520.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the NFL the team can throw away players at any time. The guys making a mill or so a year and busting ass while destroying their bodies can and will be discarded like yesterdays trash. That being said he has shown flashes of brilliance while also showed foolishness.

22 mil a year is absurd cash but the going rate is what it is.

I hope Seattle pays him in that area code cause I do not think he is even remotely worth it. He will saddle them with that cap hit for years and make them insignificant once again.

Que: All Seattle fans calling me a idiot

mrwallace2ku

Treehugger
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Paul Allen aint in the given mood, now IF Wilson had delievered last winter...he might have gotton his 20 mil wish. Today he aint worth a penny over the top QB being paid taday. He might even be wrorth less...how come my font size shrunk?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's do a down and dirty yay or nay. Keep in mind, this is not about whether RW is better than the current QB, but whether the team would/could pay for his services.

AFCE...NE & MIA, nay...NYJ & BUF, I think yay.

AFCS...IND, JAX, TN...nay...HOU...maybe, pro style OC

AFCN...PIT,BAL,CIN...nay...CLE, yay.

AFCW...DEN,SD,KC,OAK...nay...I think RW is better than the QB in OAK and KC, but IDT either would back up the brinks truck

NFCE...NYG, DAL, nay...WAS/PHI maybe

NFCS...NO,ATL,TB, CAR...nay...all are set @ QB

NFCN...GB,MIN, DET...nay...CHI, maybe, but Cutler's contract is a problem

NFCW...SF...nay, STL...maybe, SEA, yah, AZ...cap

I come away with NYJ, BUF, CLE as the strongest suitors outside of SEA. Maybe Chip.
Old dude in NO so maybe, Denver I see that as a yes for sure, Manning will be done and the heir apparent is a mystery at best. chargers? rivers could retire so yes even if he doesn't because they know they'll need someone very soon. Giants yes, SF oh hell yes. Tons of teams that would like him to be the next answer at QB.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barring an injury, Wilson's value won't decrease during the 2015 unless he turns into a turnover machine. Even the loss in value due to an injury can be mitigated by insurance.

Wilson is pretty much in the catbird seat. Whether SEA wants to pay him or not, he is going to GET PAID.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old dude in NO so maybe, Denver I see that as a yes for sure, Manning will be done and the heir apparent is a mystery at best. chargers? rivers could retire so yes even if he doesn't because they know they'll need someone very soon. Giants yes, SF oh hell yes. Tons of teams that would like him to be the next answer at QB.

AZ would jump on Wilson in an instant if he was a FA after the 2016 season. Palmer will be gone & there will be plenty of cap space available. I don't know why anyone would think the won't have cap space in 2017.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AZ would jump on Wilson in an instant if he was a FA after the 2016 season. Palmer will be gone & there will be plenty of cap space available. I don't know why anyone would think the won't have cap space in 2017.
Your right, missed your team, no lack of suitors for sure.