• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Internship Over for Kaepernick?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? There's competition at every position? So who are Bowman/Willis competing with? Who's pushing Justin Smith for that RDE position? Is there any doubt about who's gonna be our starting TE next year?

They are competing with their backups. Everyone is to a certain extent. Yes it is 99.9% likely that most/all of the starters are going to retain their status - because most of our starters are really good. But say Bowman shows up next training camp out of shape and acting like he's already arrived and Larry Grant is killing it... Harbaugh doesn't seem like one to go all Bochy and stick with his veterans - at least not for long. So in the gotta keep these guys hungry sense there's competition - that's the way I read Harbaugh.

Is anybody going to out-compete the starters we currently have? Not likely. But there will be competition.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They are competing with their backups. Everyone is to a certain extent. Yes it is 99.9% likely that most/all of the starters are going to retain their status - because most of our starters are really good. But say Bowman shows up next training camp out of shape and acting like he's already arrived and Larry Grant is killing it... Harbaugh doesn't seem like one to go all Bochy and stick with his veterans - at least not for long. So in the gotta keep these guys hungry sense there's competition - that's the way I read Harbaugh.

Is anybody going to out-compete the starters we currently have? Not likely. But there will be competition.

As I said earlier, competition implies that more than one person or party can win. Is there competition for Willis' spot next year?

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said earlier, competition implies that more than one person or party can win. Is there competition for Willis' spot next year?

I just explained that in my last post.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bowman ain't Willis.

This is true, but that's not the point. Bowman is a stud too I just used him as an example I in no way expect him to lose his starting spot.

The point is that with Harbaugh there is always competition - at least that is how I read him. It's really very simple. The best player will earn his starting spot. There will be competition but Willis is the best player so he will likely earn his spot, much as almost every one of our returning starters. But if anyone shows up out of shape or out of fire they shouldn't be surprised to soon be riding Harbaugh's bench. There's nothing earth-shattering in what I'm saying here.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you're saying, and I agree to an extent, but I think the counterpoint is that some players (like corporations) are viewed as "too big to fail," meaning their name, reputation, leadership status, and salary is too much, even for a coach like Harbs, to bench said player(s) without the situation dragging deep into the season before taking action.

I can see Bowman getting the "Jamie Winborn/LaVar Arrington/Shawntae Spencer" award, aka getting benched/cut, but I just can't see there being a competition for Willis' spot. Any coach that would argue otherwise is either spouting propaganda for the media or mental.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, but that's not the point. Bowman is a stud too I just used him as an example I in no way expect him to lose his starting spot.

The point is that with Harbaugh there is always competition - at least that is how I read him. It's really very simple. The best player will earn his starting spot. There will be competition but Willis is the best player so he will likely earn his spot, much as almost every one of our returning starters. But if anyone shows up out of shape or out of fire they shouldn't be surprised to soon be riding Harbaugh's bench. There's nothing earth-shattering in what I'm saying here.

Says you. I'm pretty impressed and a little bit dazed and confused, to be honest. I mean, you're saying that the players have to actually work hard and the better player will succeed because he's better, not because of what he did last year? You're saying that being all-pro and being better than your competition is not mutually exclusive? I'd say Willis has earned the right to show up out of shape and still start. Bowman be damned.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One more thing to think about is the difficulty of gauging defensive players during the offseason simply because they are not allowed to tackle. No one knew Larry Grant would be such a hard hitter because he wasn't knockin people out in practice.

Probably why the Niners cut him way back when, too - he was never given the playing time to show off his skills.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear what you're saying, and I agree to an extent, but I think the counterpoint is that some players (like corporations) are viewed as "too big to fail," meaning their name, reputation, leadership status, and salary is too much, even for a coach like Harbs, to bench said player(s) without the situation dragging deep into the season before taking action.

I can see Bowman getting the "Jamie Winborn/LaVar Arrington/Shawntae Spencer" award, aka getting benched/cut, but I just can't see there being a competition for Willis' spot. Any coach that would argue otherwise is either spouting propaganda for the media or mental.

The likelihood of the underdog succeeding is not a pre-requisite of being a competition of sorts. I agree it's not a serious competition. Harb's singling out specific positions is not a prerequisite of having a philosophy of competition. I agree that he's not going to spend a whole lot of time dissecting Willis vs. Bowman nor is he going to speak to them about it. So Willis does have the respect to not make a point about competing for his spot, but I do think he tries to foster that attitude in a positive, not look-over-your-shoulder Singletary way.

I actually feel that Harbaugh part feels this way and part just doesn't want to talk about it. He'll just say the same damn thing every time and handle things internally. So I think he does have competitions but he's not going to be open about it. He'll give a blanket statement that applies to the QB position.

I think he has an idea of who will win each spot and he might favor continuity, team reps with those guys, but I feel he doesn't have a vendetta against anyone and would not be afraid to pull anyone. I can't prove it about Willis because I know Willis will show up. Kind of an unfair example, not because of how good he is, but how driven he is. We'll likely never see the situation where we'd see what Harbaugh would do with a slacking Willis. And that's a good thing for us. Wasn't Haynesworth better than his back up once? I have no doubt that Harbaugh would pull a Shanahan on him quickly. Perhaps a bad example by me.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
look at haynesworth. doesn't matter how good u are, come in out of shape and mcdonalds will be your next job

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[. . .]I feel he doesn't have a vendetta against anyone and would not be afraid to pull anyone. I can't prove it about Willis because I know Willis will show up. Kind of an unfair example, not because of how good he is, but how driven he is. We'll likely never see the situation where we'd see what Harbaugh would do with a slacking Willis. And that's a good thing for us. Wasn't Haynesworth better than his back up once? I have no doubt that Harbaugh would pull a Shanahan on him quickly. Perhaps a bad example by me.

That's funny because I was thinking the exact same thing about Willis when I posted. I was having a hard time imagining a situation where Willis would ever NOT show up, dominate, or lead the team in a manner that went above & beyond, so it almost felt silly to even discuss.

As for Haynesworth, you are continuing the point I was making - that the situation dragged out into the season, and that Haynesworth had to be a GIANT douchebag for a very long time that transitioned between the season and the offseason for him to be dealt with accordingly (having his ass cut for bing a dipshit).

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I basically agree with everything you're saying. I don't see anyone losing their starting role on this team outside of the WRs and maybe Snyder - but there's still competition.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The likelihood of the underdog succeeding is not a pre-requisite of being a competition of sorts. I agree it's not a serious competition. Harb's singling out specific positions is not a prerequisite of having a philosophy of competition. I agree that he's not going to spend a whole lot of time dissecting Willis vs. Bowman nor is he going to speak to them about it. So Willis does have the respect to not make a point about competing for his spot, but I do think he tries to foster that attitude in a positive, not look-over-your-shoulder Singletary way.

I actually feel that Harbaugh part feels this way and part just doesn't want to talk about it. He'll just say the same damn thing every time and handle things internally. So I think he does have competitions but he's not going to be open about it. He'll give a blanket statement that applies to the QB position.

I think he has an idea of who will win each spot and he might favor continuity, team reps with those guys, but I feel he doesn't have a vendetta against anyone and would not be afraid to pull anyone. I can't prove it about Willis because I know Willis will show up. Kind of an unfair example, not because of how good he is, but how driven he is. We'll likely never see the situation where we'd see what Harbaugh would do with a slacking Willis. And that's a good thing for us. Wasn't Haynesworth better than his back up once? I have no doubt that Harbaugh would pull a Shanahan on him quickly. Perhaps a bad example by me.

Exactly.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's funny because I was thinking the exact same thing about Willis when I posted. I was having a hard time imagining a situation where Willis would ever NOT show up, dominate, or lead the team in a manner that went above & beyond, so it almost felt silly to even discuss.

As for Haynesworth, you are continuing the point I was making - that the situation dragged out into the season, and that Haynesworth had to be a GIANT douchebag for a very long time that transitioned between the season and the offseason for him to be dealt with accordingly (having his ass cut for bing a dipshit).

So effectively the formula has been reduced to: Harbaugh's patience >/-/< Shanahan's patience. I doubt that Willis or anybody that great, unless overweight or in legal trouble, would be able to screw up fast enough to be replaced by Week One. Willis has built a lot of "equity," a term Harbaugh loves.

Last edited by a moderator:

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says you. I'm pretty impressed and a little bit dazed and confused, to be honest. I mean, you're saying that the players have to actually work hard and the better player will succeed because he's better, not because of what he did last year? You're saying that being all-pro and being better than your competition is not mutually exclusive? I'd say Willis has earned the right to show up out of shape and still start. Bowman be damned.

Haha yeah. I'm guess I'm dumb like that.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

haynesworth wanted to get cut so he could sign elsewhere. shanahan being a stubbon sob, wanted to show him who actually had the biggest dick in the room.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haynesworth wanted to get cut so he could sign elsewhere. shanahan being a stubbon sob, wanted to show him who actually had the biggest dick in the room.

And that's where Dick Belicheck came in and cut him for Shanahan - or do I have the timeline off? ;) (Yes, I know his real name.)

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I could care less right now if Alex only threw 5 picks in the regular season.

The only stat that stands out in my mind is the 1 for whatever completion rate to the WRs in the NFC championship game.

We have a good enough defense that we can ride to the NFC west championship for the next few years, and into the playoffs. But 1 for whatever to the WRs in the NFC championship is unacceptable.

So something there needs to be corrected, Alex was hesitant or something.

No other QB in the conference championship went 1 for whatever to his WRs.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could care less right now if Alex only threw 5 picks in the regular season.

The only stat that stands out in my mind is the 1 for whatever completion rate to the WRs in the NFC championship game.

We have a good enough defense that we can ride to the NFC west championship for the next few years, and into the playoffs. But 1 for whatever to the WRs in the NFC championship is unacceptable.

So something there needs to be corrected, Alex was hesitant or something.

No other QB in the conference championship went 1 for whatever to his WRs.

As I've said before, Alex was the chicken (pun-intended) and the receivers were the eggs. Both effectively caused the bad stat and both can improve and both can potentially be replaced, now or later. I hope we fix this during the off-season because I don't want to see that being a season-long effort to fix. Hopefully the coaches, players, and FO have learned from their year together how to address the issue and now have the time/understanding to improve sufficiently. Alex does need to trust more, shoot more, pass better, and the receivers need to execute their routes better (as I do not have the playbook with me, I'm giving a slight benefit of the doubt to Alex but note that he is overly hesitant to even a correct route-runner). The coaches need to learn when to keep going with the run, when to change it up, when to try trick plays, and how to get players open. We have a lot of work but also a lot of hard workers. Let's see if it'll be enough for a push to the SB. I, for one, am happy that I can point to the 3rd downs, receivers, and st fumbles and feel relatively complete in my analysis. It used to have a lot more OL (still present but not to same degree), QB (still present but not to same degree), defense, etc. all at the same time.

Last edited by a moderator:

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont want any of this to be taken as i think Willis or J. smith are gonna be beat out because i dont see it happening. But like me and Ihatedodgers are just trying to say, there is and always wil be competition at any spot no matter what. Its the nature of the game and helps make this team better.

Im not crazy ya know