• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Internship Over for Kaepernick?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a QB competition in Carolina, San Diego, Cinci, Chicago, and Detroit too.

Absolutely. Shaun Hill is entering camp this season making a push to be the starter in Detroit!

Run before the :lm: gets you Bingo. It's too late for me!

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Absolutely. Shaun Hill is entering camp this season making a push to be the starter in Detroit!

Run before the :lm: gets you Bingo. It's too late for me!

Right everyone is against you all the time. Get over yourself clyde.

BINGO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Smith vs. Kaepernick
11:19 AM ET

Alex Smith | 49ers
In an interview published this week, San Francisco 49ers rising second-year QB Colin Kaepernick indicated that he's ready to compete for the team's starting position, and that he feels he'll get a fair shot to do so in training camp. However, in comments during an appearance on "Chronicle Live" on CSN Bay Area, the man who'll be instrumental in making the choice seems to indicate that he may already have another option in mind for the job.

"We're all in lockstep as an organization that Alex Smith is our guy. It's well-documented. You saw the way he played this year," head coach Jim Harbaugh told host Jim Kozimor, per Matt Maiocco. "[He is a] tremendous leader on our football team. There's Alex and there are other guys, too, that are high priorities. We want our guys. There are guys who play like 49ers, and what they do is they play their hearts out for our team. So Alex and others, [it's] going to be a high-priority to get those guys signed."

Though Smith did his part to get the Niners to the NFC championship game in Harbaugh's first season, there's a reason why the team invested a second-round pick in Kaepernick in 2011, and it's not to be a headset and clipboard model. With a full offseason of work on the docket, it'll be interesting to see how serious a challenge the Nevada product can mount.

- Tim Kavanagh

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Willis is looking at the same competition from whoever his backup is gonna be next season the same way that Alex is looking at Kap? You think our ILB position is as open as our QB position?

You made the point that Alex Smith is a starter and this "QB controversy" is media spawned. I disagreed, saying that QB competition = QB controversy. And then you agreed. That means you backtracked.

My point has been and still is that there is competition at every position regardless of controversy or not. Yes there are bigger gaps as far as how much of a competition there is but im am sticking with my point. Like Dodgers said, Harbaugh has said he will not be handing anything to anybody. I am in no way saying willis and J. smith will be beat out, but reagrdless as i have stated as my point, there is still competition there.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is something Alex has right now over Prime. It's the leadership and to a degree, trust....

Also I'm not so sure how many vets feel with a rook(tech 2nd yr guy) starting at QB... just a honest view on the potential switch.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only area i see really up for grabs are the CBs and WRs groups as for starter roles...

I mean, it's not like theres a lot of people who can unseat Patrick Willis on any team. But Harbs philosphy that all positions are up for grabs is to send a message that don't take it for grant it and be prepared for being the next guy up.

iHATEdodgers

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point has been and still is that there is competition at every position regardless of controversy or not. Yes there are bigger gaps as far as how much of a competition there is but im am sticking with my point. Like Dodgers said, Harbaugh has said he will not be handing anything to anybody. I am in no way saying willis and J. smith will be beat out, but reagrdless as i have stated as my point, there is still competition there.

Oh crap I'm going to have to change my name if people are gonna refer to me as dodgers :pout:

iHATEdodgers

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh crap I'm going to have to change my name if people are gonna refer to me as dodgers :pout:

iHATEdodgers

haha my mad, just was lazy and didnt feel like typing out the rest of your name. Wont happen again sir.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That is something Alex has right now over Prime. It's the leadership and to a degree, trust....

Also I'm not so sure how many vets feel with a rook(tech 2nd yr guy) starting at QB... just a honest view on the potential switch.

yep, thats why we shouldn't take a chance and simply say "start CK". we have an ok thing going with Alex at the helm, need to keep the winning.

Harbaugh pursued Alex at a time WE ALL hated him. now after Alex took a step up and had a good season, doesn't make sense to go elsewhere? the only way we don't sign Alex is if he demands too much.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Smith will and should get the starting job but I do tend to agree with Clyde that I don't think there would be a major drop off with CK in there.

The drop off is still there and if the team wasn't so close to going to the Super Bowl this past season I would be more inclined to take the hit and let CK in there but I think Alex has a greater support and trust with the team and unless CK clearly is better than Smith I think you have to go with him.

I fully expect CK to be a viable option for starting QB in 2013 though.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Smith will and should get the starting job but I do tend to agree with Clyde that I don't think there would be a major drop off with CK in there.

The drop off is still there and if the team wasn't so close to going to the Super Bowl this past season I would be more inclined to take the hit and let CK in there but I think Alex has a greater support and trust with the team and unless CK clearly is better than Smith I think you have to go with him.

I fully expect CK to be a viable option for starting QB in 2013 though.

and IF so, that would be great!

no major drop off with CK starting from game 1?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith vs. Kaepernick
11:19 AM ET

Alex Smith | 49ers
In an interview published this week, San Francisco 49ers rising second-year QB Colin Kaepernick indicated that he's ready to compete for the team's starting position, and that he feels he'll get a fair shot to do so in training camp. However, in comments during an appearance on "Chronicle Live" on CSN Bay Area, the man who'll be instrumental in making the choice seems to indicate that he may already have another option in mind for the job.

"We're all in lockstep as an organization that Alex Smith is our guy. It's well-documented. You saw the way he played this year," head coach Jim Harbaugh told host Jim Kozimor, per Matt Maiocco. "[He is a] tremendous leader on our football team. There's Alex and there are other guys, too, that are high priorities. We want our guys. There are guys who play like 49ers, and what they do is they play their hearts out for our team. So Alex and others, [it's] going to be a high-priority to get those guys signed."

Though Smith did his part to get the Niners to the NFC championship game in Harbaugh's first season, there's a reason why the team invested a second-round pick in Kaepernick in 2011, and it's not to be a headset and clipboard model. With a full offseason of work on the docket, it'll be interesting to see how serious a challenge the Nevada product can mount.

- Tim Kavanagh

The reason they invested a second round pick in Kaepernick was because at the time Baalke rightfully so did not trust Alex Smith to turn it around and Harbaugh thought this was the best guy to get. They may be right in that Alex won't turn it around or sustain it long enough to put Kaep away, but they didn't draft Kaep to blindly choose him over Alex. Kaep has to be better than Alex or another vet to see the field. It's ironic that Alex may have started games in his career because of where he was drafted (+ pressured coach) but may not be replaced due to the next guy's draft spot (+ good coach).

They didn't draft him because they were deadset on him starting now or later, but rather because they needed someone to develop if Alex failed. Failure could have been pre-season (2011) or it could be two years from now or it could be never (still unlikely). There's a legitimate chance that Alex does fail or Kaep leaps him if Alex stagnates. It just won't be forced by anyone but Kaep (technically Alex could force it by regression).

I feel confident if Kaep takes over because it's not like Harbs will start him if he isn't ready. So insofar as "drafting him as the future" is because of where and how they got him, I disagree. As far as not trusting Alex and knowing that you have to get a QB high if we don't get someone else, I agree. I guess what I'm trying to say is things can change and everything has contingencies. With Alex's past it may turn out that he was the contingency that worked out. If he doesn't work out, Kaep is the backup plan that works.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Backtracking? My point was the competition is evident in any position, which the QB postition falls under. What was I backtracking from? Im not here chosing one guy over the other.

The competition is evident? Really? If the competition is evident, then you shouldn't be able to say that obviously Willis and J Smith will win.

A high school basketball team can take the court against the Heat. Sure, technically it's "a competition." But we all not it isn't a competition.

And if there is competition at every position, who is going to compete with Lee?
Shouldn't the idea of competition imply that all parties believe they can win?

Who is coming to camp next year with the belief he can start at ILB other than Willis and Bowman? Who feels he can unseat Lee at punter?

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, now Baalke needs to get these two a WR to make the competition interesting. I really don't care if Smith can kill it on the easy and safe passes, I want to see which one is better on the big plays to the big WR.

Southern9er

Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Kaep was an intern? Hmmm didn't realize it. ANY football position is ALWAYS up for grabs. Kaep can try all he wants and I wish him the best this produces better teams...but in my opinion it would be like a one legged man trying to win an ass kicking contest...

Why is this such a fucking mystery that if a player is performing better in camp & practice he will earn a starting position! If Rodgers stepped on his crank and suddenly performed below fucking Matt Flynn, then Flynn would be the QB its that fucking simple...

Kaep can not win this...YET..."bring him on" ...*think Tim Roth in Rob Roy*

Last edited by a moderator:

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Really? There's competition at every position? So who are Bowman/Willis competing with? Who's pushing Justin Smith for that RDE position? Is there any doubt about who's gonna be our starting TE next year?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kaep was an intern? Hmmm didn't realize it. ANY football position is ALWAYS up for grabs. Kaep can try all he wants and I wish him the best this produces better teams...but in my opinion it would be like a one legged man trying to win an ass kicking contest...
Why is this such a fucking mystery that if a player is performing better in camp & practice he will earn a starting position! If Rodgers stepped on his crank and suddenly performed below fucking Matt Flynn, then Flynn would be the QB its that fucking simple...

Kaep can not win this...YET..."bring him on" ...*think Tim Roth in Rob Roy*

Explain.