• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I wonder if there is anyone left

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll take what idiots can't figure out about off season filler threads for $1000.00 Alex
Does that mean Boston fans are done talking about how the referees screwed the Broons out of another championship?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really...I don't take numbers at face value. In general, a pretty terrible way to definitively say one guy was better than the other.

I would agree in part but only in part. Some numbers are dumb like how many yards a QB passed for to me that is stupid because it adds YAC to the total. But some #s make sense like Completion % or TD to INT ratio.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really...I don't take numbers at face value. In general, a pretty terrible way to definitively say one guy was better than the other.
:scratch:so what do you go by looks?

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Football isn't like basketball - you can't put the ball in the quarterback's hands, clear everyone to the other side of the field and expect the quarterback to beat the defense 1-on-1; then after the score go D-up. Individual football players do not have as much control over the game as players in other sports do. To attain success in football you need 11 guys working in perfect synchronization every single snap of the ball and you need another 22 guys to work in perfect synchronization for the other over-half of the game you're not on the field. And even if the QB does his job to perfection the kicker can still screw him over.

To me, NFL stats and championships are team accomplishments; they're non-factors when determining player greatness. Greatness to me is accomplished by the "WOW!" factor - as in "holy crap, that is amazing! ...transcendent!" ...Witnessing a quarterback do something everyone else wishes they could do - repeatedly.

I've got a Mount Rushmore of QBs (in order of entry into the NFL): Dan Marino, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers.

Dan Marino - Laser-guided rocket arm. I started watching football in the early 80's. Joe Montana, Joe Theismann, and Dan Fouts were considered the best QBs in the league at that time. I also watched a lot of Lynn Dickey as a Packers fan in Wisconsin. Then this Dan Marino guy came along and amazed me by doing things no one else could do. His arm strength and accuracy were insane! Montana tossed nice easily-catchable balls, but no one else could blast a ball through a 1'x1' window 30 yards down the field at like 400 mph like Marino could! Amazing! Transcendent!

Peyton Manning - Ultimate field general. Every time Manning took the field, HE was in complete control of all 22 players on the field. He would direct his offensive line in ways that would manipulate the opposing defensive fronts, he would adjust his backs and receivers to manipulate defensive secondaries and would create holes in the defense for his offense to succeed through every pre-snap chess match won - which was all of them. No one else could control all 22 guys like Manning could! Amazing! Transcendent!

Tom Brady - Master of consistency. Nothing about Brady's game is flashy; there are no gimmicks or physical attributes to his game that generates a 'wow' factor. Brady's 'wow' factor is that he is always - ALWAYS! - taking what the defense gives him. Every snap there's a hole and he always finds it. He doesn't get greedy and force plays or try to do to much himself, he ALWAYS stays within the system and executes to perfection. Brady is like a baseball pitcher that pitches no-hitters every game with 27 ground-ball outs. That level of consistency is amazing! Transcendent!

Aaron Rodgers - Superhero. Throughout his career, Aaron Rodgers has made the impossible possible. His team is never out of the game when he's on the field. It's simply not possible for a right-handed quarterback to glide around in the pocket as if his feet aren't even on the ground and he's got eyes a full 360° around his head, somehow Houdini the grasp of guys twice his size, roll out to his left and fire a laser ball across his body 40-yards down the field with surgical precision to his tight end tiptoeing the sidelines with a few ticks left on the clock in the 4th quarter to put his team in a position to kick a game winning field goal in the playoffs. It's just impossible! Can't happen! Amazing! Transcendent!

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree in part but only in part. Some numbers are dumb like how many yards a QB passed for to me that is stupid because it adds YAC to the total. But some #s make sense like Completion % or TD to INT ratio.

….and Super Bowl rings by themselves. A really dumb number.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
….and Super Bowl rings by themselves. A really dumb number.

To a degree maybe, but the fact they have the rings means that QB governed that teams success all year and when one QB has six, well hell if you can't see the value in that just say so now so I can stop replying to you.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To a degree maybe, but the fact they have the rings means that QB governed that teams success all year and when one QB has six, well hell if you can't see the value in that just say so now so I can stop replying to you.

You should probably stop replying, because your logic is illogical. Terry Bradshaw is not some top 5 QB all time. Eli Manning, Trent Dilfer and Jim Plunkett don't come solar system close to Dan Marino, Dan Fouts or Fran Tarkenton, Troy Aikman isn't the best QB in Cowboys history...etc. etc. etc.

Super Bowl rings by themselves, is an idiotic argument. Period.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should probably stop replying, because your logic is illogical. Terry Bradshaw is not some top 5 QB all time. Eli Manning, Trent Dilfer and Jim Plunkett don't come solar system close to Dan Marino, Dan Fouts or Fran Tarkenton, Troy Aikman isn't the best QB in Cowboys history...etc. etc. etc.

So again a QB guides a team all year, in Brady's case a lot more and all those games mean nothing? LMAO and that makes no sense to you?

We all know Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton etc are better than Eli or Dilfer. But you can't negate the fact they failed in big games, or their D failed. The Ring itself is an indicator of what they did the whole year. I can't make that any clearer, of you choose to remain obtuse that is on you.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's why one QB having almost every record to go along with SIX rings makes this so easy for educated footballl fans.

Ricky Roma

The Catch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So again a QB guides a team all year, in Brady's case a lot more and all those games mean nothing? LMAO and that makes no sense to you?

We all know Marino, Fouts, Tarkenton etc are better than Eli or Dilfer. But you can't negate the fact they failed in big games, or their D failed. The Ring itself is an indicator of what they did the whole year. I can't make that any clearer, of you choose to remain obtuse that is on you.

A pats fan, calling others obtuse basically because they don't fall in line with their limited viewpoint on what defines greatness in quarterbacks?

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A pats fan, calling others obtuse basically because they don't fall in line with their limited viewpoint on what defines greatness in quarterbacks?

No, calling you obtuse because it's obvious.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't bother reading past the 1st comment because this is what, the 1,000th troll thread started by a Pats fan kissing Tommy Boys ass?

You're keeping count?