• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I know I will get major flack for this...

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did he say why?

Well essentially it boils down to a few things...

1) The Pay Cut. No great player especially a future HOF player wants to be told that their skills have diminished and that they need to take a pay cut to stay with the team. From what I understand it did hurt Manning a little that Elway would ask for that especially when he was asking for Manning to take a $10 million pay cut.

2) The firing of Fox/Gase. Really this has more to do with Gase than Fox. Gase and Manning had formed a really strong friendship in their time together. Gase really loved running what Manning wanted to do and really had given Manning quite a bit of control of the offense. It was Elway that actually stepped in last year to tell them that they needed to focus more on the run game because passing 75% of the time was not working well.

3) The hiring of Kubiak. Essentially hiring Kubiak meant that Manning knew the Broncos were moving away from Manning being a center piece of this team. Kubiak's scheme and ideals about how an offense should function are in many ways counter to what Manning loves to do. We saw this year the two of them struggle with that relationship. Heck in the Super Bowl Kubiak told Manning to run it 3 straight times late in the game around the goal line. Manning got up to the LOS and audibled to a pass. Kubiak quickly ran down the sideline to call timeout and explain to Manning that he was not to pass in that situation.

4) 2013 Super Bowl. We saw what happened to the Broncos and for Elway he completely switched gears on how he decided to build this team. It truly did become less and less about what Manning was doing on the field. He spent the money on the defensive side of the ball and while it paid off in a Super Bowl win Manning has been used to teams surrounding him with talent and spending big on the offensive side of the ball.

I'm not saying they hate each other by any means but I do know they did not see eye to eye on how things were going to function this year. They are both professionals which is why they acted professional even when things were not going as they both saw it should be going. It is why I can't see Manning back as I am sure he will want to go somewhere where they actually want to run his scheme he has ran most of his career. He is used to having a bit more control over the offense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This I'm curious about. There's just so much that can mean. Were they like best buds before and now they only talk from time to time? Did they go from barely tolerating each other to outright hating each other? Without knowing the start point or the end point there's just so much room for interpretation about how their relationship deteriorated.

I don't know, maybe I'm naive but I just have a hard time believing it. Everyone handled everything so professionally all the way, and we won the Super Bowl, so I just have a hard time understanding what this is all about. Unless Elway wanted to bench Manning sooner and Manning just refused, it just doesn't make sense to me. Or maybe Elway really is upset that Manning hasn't already announced his retirement, but I have a hard time believing that as well because I think the Broncos had already decided to move on from Manning, and Elway understands how hard it is to hang them up for good (remember, Elway didn't announce his retirement until May).

I just keep going back to the fact that despite everything that happened, we still won the Super Bowl. To me, that's the kind of salve that can heal over a lot of issues and hurt feelings.

Both are guys that love to win so as long as the team kept winning I don't think they were going to publicly voice their frustrations with the situation. As far as where things started and where they ended. I still think they have a lot of respect for each other. At the beginning though I do think Manning really looked up to Elway and that was a big reason he signed with us. He trusted Elway to know what it would take and obviously Elway did prove that he knew but I don't think it was quite the way that Manning would have done it. I think the relationship did struggle with the fact that Gase was let go. I do know that he and Manning were really close. They just had a connection to know what the other one wanted to do and then they would go out and execute it. So then bringing in Kubiak who runs a completely different system was just hard for Manning to really get on board. Again I think there is still plenty of respect between the two. I don't know how there couldn't be considering Elway helped Manning get that 2nd ring just like he promised when Manning came to town. I just don't think they are wanting to go in the same direction though. My guess is Manning still thinks he is worth $19 million a year and that he can still be that MVP type player. They always say that a player is the last one to see that their skills have diminished. They don't want to admit it to themselves. That to me is why this is taking so long for him to make an announcement. He is probably convincing himself that his struggles were injury related and that if he can just get healthy this off season he will be back to his old self.

theknight307

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This I'm curious about. There's just so much that can mean. Were they like best buds before and now they only talk from time to time? Did they go from barely tolerating each other to outright hating each other? Without knowing the start point or the end point there's just so much room for interpretation about how their relationship deteriorated.

I don't know, maybe I'm naive but I just have a hard time believing it. Everyone handled everything so professionally all the way, and we won the Super Bowl, so I just have a hard time understanding what this is all about. Unless Elway wanted to bench Manning sooner and Manning just refused, it just doesn't make sense to me. Or maybe Elway really is upset that Manning hasn't already announced his retirement, but I have a hard time believing that as well because I think the Broncos had already decided to move on from Manning, and Elway understands how hard it is to hang them up for good (remember, Elway didn't announce his retirement until May).

I just keep going back to the fact that despite everything that happened, we still won the Super Bowl. To me, that's the kind of salve that can heal over a lot of issues and hurt feelings.

Hi Mr poster of the month. The fact the Broncos won it is irrelevant and yes you are naive. About a lot of things.

No offense.....

rodney-dangerfield.jpg

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both are guys that love to win so as long as the team kept winning I don't think they were going to publicly voice their frustrations with the situation. As far as where things started and where they ended. I still think they have a lot of respect for each other. At the beginning though I do think Manning really looked up to Elway and that was a big reason he signed with us. He trusted Elway to know what it would take and obviously Elway did prove that he knew but I don't think it was quite the way that Manning would have done it. I think the relationship did struggle with the fact that Gase was let go. I do know that he and Manning were really close. They just had a connection to know what the other one wanted to do and then they would go out and execute it. So then bringing in Kubiak who runs a completely different system was just hard for Manning to really get on board. Again I think there is still plenty of respect between the two. I don't know how there couldn't be considering Elway helped Manning get that 2nd ring just like he promised when Manning came to town. I just don't think they are wanting to go in the same direction though. My guess is Manning still thinks he is worth $19 million a year and that he can still be that MVP type player. They always say that a player is the last one to see that their skills have diminished. They don't want to admit it to themselves. That to me is why this is taking so long for him to make an announcement. He is probably convincing himself that his struggles were injury related and that if he can just get healthy this off season he will be back to his old self.
Good points. I guess I'm just thankful that Manning and Elway stayed completely professional about the whole thing. Dealing with the quarterback situation this year could have easily torn the team apart, but everyone handled it extremely well and the team won the Super Bowl anyway. I think a lot of credit needs to go to Kubiak for keeping the team united through all of it.

I'm really curious if Manning truly believes that he can still be a great qb if he's allowed to run his offense. Personally I think that's nuts, but I'm sure that there will be a few teams out there willing to try it if Manning decides not to retire. Regardless, only a few more days and we'll know Manning's fate as far as the Broncos are concerned.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elways nicer then I am. I would have released PFM yesterday and moved forward like all parties know. Manning is milking the spotlight as usual.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good points. I guess I'm just thankful that Manning and Elway stayed completely professional about the whole thing. Dealing with the quarterback situation this year could have easily torn the team apart, but everyone handled it extremely well and the team won the Super Bowl anyway. I think a lot of credit needs to go to Kubiak for keeping the team united through all of it.

I'm really curious if Manning truly believes that he can still be a great qb if he's allowed to run his offense. Personally I think that's nuts, but I'm sure that there will be a few teams out there willing to try it if Manning decides not to retire. Regardless, only a few more days and we'll know Manning's fate as far as the Broncos are concerned.

My guess is he still thinks he can do it. Like I said the athlete themselves are the last to see it. We all like to believe we are the best version of ourself in well everything. I still like to think I can run like I did when I did cross country for a while. This past year coaching soccer I tore up my ankle but refused to acknowledge it because I didn't want to admit I was breaking down. That pride has lead to a full year of recovery to where I just now have started feeling comfortable with my ankle again. So I'm sure Manning is still the same way and with each passing day and his body feeling better I'm sure it has actually made the decision harder for him the longer he waits. I could see it where he still hasn't made the decision and the Broncos just have to cut him while he still thinks about it. I actually don't think he will have made up his mind by next week.

You are right though no matter what happened this year I have to tip my hat to Kubiak. This whole situation could have really blown up this team. Instead he was able to keep all the big personalities together and unified. I almost thought Osweiler was going to lose it after getting benched at the end of the year. Being interviewed after getting benched I can't imagine that was easy. We could have had a Cam Newton type situation but the man really handled it better than most.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elways nicer then I am. I would have released PFM yesterday and moved forward like all parties know. Manning is milking the spotlight as usual.

I think it boils down to Elway and the Broncos are trying to take the high road in the situation. They know he is gone from the Broncos anyway so why look like jerks in the situation? If they know he is gone it doesn't affect them Cap wise anyway as they can just bank on that money being there. So if he takes until the very last second to make up his decision then at least they are viewed as the respectful team that gave a legend as much time as they could.

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point about the draft.....It was if we lose Oz and Denver wants to compete for a SB next yr, who is going to play QB and give you a better shot running that offense? A rookie ? I don`t care if Denver moved up and got Wentz or Goff, neither of them would give you a better chance than Manning of repeating. If your talking about future,maybe. How many D players are you going to lose in the meantime while he develops and there`s still no assurance he is your guy anymore than drafting Dak or one of the others in 2nd or 3rd rd. In this draft anyway, no one qb stands out as a franchise guy imo. Anybody on here thinks a rookie QB ( esp in this draft) is going to come in and lead this offense any better than Peyton did is delusional. As bad as Peyton played most of the year, a rookie will get eaten up worse. Give me a better scenario at qb that gives Denver a shot at repeating this year ( if we lose Oz ) than bringing Manning back ( with another paycut and 1 yr deal. Rams are only team that might give him more than he`s worth), drafting a qb at 31 or 63, pking up a cheap vet back up and let them all compete, along with Simian for the starting job.. I`m all for moving up and going after one of those Qbs if you really believe he can be that franchise guy down the road and if your willing to give up on a SB this season. That`s fine. But to say you think a rookie qb can come in and run this offense and be better than Peyton, is dreaming. I don`t like the thought of Manning coming back anymore than the rest of you but you still need to show a better plan than throwing a rookie in there. As much as I dislike the thought of RG or Kap in here,that`s still better than wasting draft pks to move up and grab a qb and expect him to be the guy for this season. Please. :)

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point about the draft.....It was if we lose Oz and Denver wants to compete for a SB next yr, who is going to play QB and give you a better shot running that offense? A rookie ? I don`t care if Denver moved up and got Wentz or Goff, neither of them would give you a better chance than Manning of repeating. If your talking about future,maybe. How many D players are you going to lose in the meantime while he develops and there`s still no assurance he is your guy anymore than drafting Dak or one of the others in 2nd or 3rd rd. In this draft anyway, no one qb stands out as a franchise guy imo. Anybody on here thinks a rookie QB ( esp in this draft) is going to come in and lead this offense any better than Peyton did is delusional. As bad as Peyton played most of the year, a rookie will get eaten up worse. Give me a better scenario at qb that gives Denver a shot at repeating this year ( if we lose Oz ) than bringing Manning back ( with another paycut and 1 yr deal. Rams are only team that might give him more than he`s worth), drafting a qb at 31 or 63, pking up a cheap vet back up and let them all compete, along with Simian for the starting job.. I`m all for moving up and going after one of those Qbs if you really believe he can be that franchise guy down the road and if your willing to give up on a SB this season. That`s fine. But to say you think a rookie qb can come in and run this offense and be better than Peyton, is dreaming. I don`t like the thought of Manning coming back anymore than the rest of you but you still need to show a better plan than throwing a rookie in there. As much as I dislike the thought of RG or Kap in here,that`s still better than wasting draft pks to move up and grab a qb and expect him to be the guy for this season. Please. :)

Well, both Mariota and Winston had better seasons than Manning. Not sure that your argument about rookies holds much water in that regard.

Manning will not take any considerable pay cut. He would not need to if we were that desperate. That means we are over the cap and would lose talent anyway.

You are assuming the defense plays lights out again and we benefit from some missed field goals, extra points, and questionable coaching calls. Your repeat margin is very thin if we cannot get more production from the offense.

As for a rookie QB taking over, it would not be a bad time for him. A good defense can bail him out and keep things easy for him. He would have weapons in DT, Sanders, and CJ Anderson to lean on. Getting the learning bumps out of the way when you have a team that can carry him.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Billick said it was a mistake to replace the starting QB in 2001
Wonder how SHanny feels now going with Griese over Brister in 1999? Be cusrious to find out.

Those two were the only Super Bowl teams to replace their starting QBs the following season.

Manning has stated through his agent he would be willing to compete and be a backup. At what price . I think Manning would be a great fit in MIAMI with Gase and Tannehill

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Billick said it was a mistake to replace the starting QB in 2001
Wonder how SHanny feels now going with Griese over Brister in 1999? Be cusrious to find out.

Those two were the only Super Bowl teams to replace their starting QBs the following season.

Manning has stated through his agent he would be willing to compete and be a backup. At what price . I think Manning would be a great fit in MIAMI with Gase and Tannehill

a lot of people thought all you had to do was hand the keys to whomever, after JE left, and all they had to do was drive da bus.

Ya, that really worked out well, LOL!~

theknight307

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a lot of people thought all you had to do was hand the keys to whomever, after JE left, and all they had to do was drive da bus.

Ya, that really worked out well, LOL!~
Except of course Elway had game. Unlike shitsack Manning.

Wheat

High Plains Drifter...
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you poor baby, I see you are still butt hurt and all.

Poor thing....

You have a nice day!

SpiritOf77

Lucas707
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More and more I am thinking the fact that nothing has happened with Oz has less to do with Manning ( ie holding off on an announcement about Oz out of respect for Manning ) and more to do with the fact that Elway and Kubiak have other things in mind at QB ..

Kaepernick, for example, is a fantastic fit for what Kubiak does, and from what I understand, he could be had for a 3rd or 4th round pick ... Of course, that doesn't mean the 9ers would do it, but we are talking about a guy in the prime of his career who, a few short years ago before the organization imploded, led his team to a Super Bowl ..

RGIII is a different story ..

I am also wondering about the possibility of a rookie starting next season -

But all things considered, I am thinking more and more Elway is going to pull a trade w/ the 9ers

randymon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, both Mariota and Winston had better seasons than Manning. Not sure that your argument about rookies holds much water in that regard.

Manning will not take any considerable pay cut. He would not need to if we were that desperate. That means we are over the cap and would lose talent anyway.

You are assuming the defense plays lights out again and we benefit from some missed field goals, extra points, and questionable coaching calls. Your repeat margin is very thin if we cannot get more production from the offense.

As for a rookie QB taking over, it would not be a bad time for him. A good defense can bail him out and keep things easy for him. He would have weapons in DT, Sanders, and CJ Anderson to lean on. Getting the learning bumps out of the way when you have a team that can carry him.
Marriott and Winston not only were highly touted to be franchise Qbs but played for major highly successful college programs. Wentz played for a div 2 team with less than stellar competition. Goff guided Cal to a 1-11 season in 2014 and didn't even qualify for a bowl game last year. Comparing them to Mariota and Winston is ridiculous BRok. That's why I say you could draft a qb in rds 1-5, and have as equal a chance as finding a hidden gem as you would drafting any of the top 4 guys in this draft. Tennessee and Tampa really lit it up this year under those rookies too. Oh, forgot.....stats matter most. Stupid me again. :)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The suspense about Peyton Manning's announcement is certainly on purpose. I would not be surprised to see Manning making the announcement and having a ready answer to the question about what he is going to do next. What Manning is going to do next is make more money - he is the perfect CBS celebrity color guy - and there are the cars he can continue to sell and the beer he can start hawking.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tomorrow is D day right ? if he passes his physical he is owed $19 mill right ? Or is that the 9th ?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tomorrow is D day right ? if he passes his physical he is owed $19 mill right ? Or is that the 9th ?

From the sound of it the Broncos already told Manning that he doesn't need to worry about coming in for his physical. Even if he did it wouldn't change anything either way.

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
thank you guys