• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Why is this still an issue?

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

So there are not enough black QB's? Can it just be the best at what you do? In a sport predominately black, why is this still an issue? Will people not be happy until the sport is 100% black? What is a fair number/percentage? Should it work the other way as well? Are there enough white WR's, RB's and CB? I am just asking.

I am all for equality, as I believe everyone deserves a fair chance to be the best they can be regardless of race or sex. So when you force a certain number of businesses, positions, etc to be a minority you are possibly downgrading the quality of your organization if they were not the best hire, but rather the right color. Isn't America predominately white? Wouldn't you think that a majority or businesses will be white because that is the largest hiring pool color on the market.

Don't get me wrong, I know that many black folks grow up at a disadvantage because they may live in the inner city and options are low, and schooling is inferior. Much of this is caused by their parents not willing to make a move to other parts of the US with better opportunities for education and growth. Some has to do with the massive crime rate and areas being overly unattractive to develop because of crime, poverty and what not. Some kids are truly at a disadvantage. However, in today's day and age, where some of these inner city schools breed crime, lack of dedication because of peer pressure and so forth, isn't there a way to make a National incentive to give parents the opportunity to home school their kids with real lectures, dialog with educators, classroom environments through zoom and iPad's, maybe computers and wifi. You see a lot of these poor folks not able to put food on their table, but they all have smart phones it seems like. If they don't have wifi, or a good environment, that seems like a way to improve overall education of children is through these new online education system to keep them away from the trouble makers, to give them a leg up. Government helps the education program by incentivizing online education in downtrodden and crime infested areas of major cities.

It doesn't matter what color or sex you are. If you have a drive to succeed, you can succeed if given similar opportunities and I think my idea for a National online education system could work for these particular areas.

When you force an employer to take a less qualified candidate over a more qualified candidate, isn't that racism? Whether it is white or black, that is wrong.

What kind of extra opportunities should black folk be given as QB's? You have 3 white guys on a team at QB, and one black guy, but all 3 white QB's are better passers, grasp the playbook and overall perform better. Should the black guy be granted a position on the team over a white guy just because of his skin color? Would it be fair the other way to do that, every team should have at least 1 white guy at WR, RB and CB? I don't understand where you draw the line or where you start racism the other way?

Just thoughts. I want to see everyone treated equal. But it seems like those that feel they are not treated equal want more than everyone else also. That they need extra to make up for what they feel slighted for.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids start playing position football in High School, so I believe it starts there. It's unlikely that a player moves to QB while in college.

To that extent, I believe it is social economics. If someone wants to be considered for a big college scholarship, they will invest money in camps and mentorship. They won't just depend on their high school coach to teach them how to play QB correctly. For that matter, if the school that they go to doesn't have a good program, they will go to a private school, or relocate to one that does have a good program in order to set themselves up for success.

The social economics of young players who are disproportionally black will put them at a statistical disadvantage for winning that starting QB position at nationally acclaimed high school program.

It happens, and there is no reason a young athlete in a poor economic status shouldn't dream of it, and a special athlete is going to rise above it, but in general those kids are not worried about sports.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about what you do about this sort of thing, but I will say that a bias certainly does exist. I mean look at the NFL - We have guys like Ryan Finley playing QB. Blaine Gabbert was a top 5 pick for god sakes and is still in the league no matter how bad he sucks.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure about what you do about this sort of thing, but I will say that a bias certainly does exist. I mean look at the NFL - We have guys like Ryan Finley playing QB. Blaine Gabbert was a top 5 pick for god sakes and is still in the league no matter how bad he sucks.

I think teams are certainly happy to have a black QB if they can beat out one of these other white guys. I don't think it is a matter of ethnic bias in the NFL at any position, it is a lack of options. I agree with what Dan has to say. It is about opportunity. Most QB's are built, not natural. Most these kids go to camps, clinics, have personal coaches, private schools, etc. They have an advantage over kids that do not have same opportunities. But once again, those opportunities are because the parents are paying for them. If a kid is in the hood and mom and dad doesn't have a dime to their name, then those same opportunities will not be present.

So then you say that is where the socioeconomic issues are present and those need to change. Okay, but how? Keep giving these kids a free pass to improve diversity? Now how does that play into fairness when a white kids parents are mortgaging their retirement to help their kid fulfill their dream by paying for all this stuff? Why do they have to pay full price and the other kid doesn't? Because he is white?

Once again, tell me how that is not racism? When anything is decided based on the color of your skin, no matter what, that is racism.

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
an obviously racist country. It's a white people problem