• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I hope Michael Sam flames out in the NFL

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yes, and xenophobia means fear of foreigners. The groups meeting the buses of illegals in CA these days are xenophobic. They don't seem terribly afraid.

Seriously? You honestly believe that? Given your definition of the suffix "phobic" means "doesn't like," which I'll suspend reality to accept for the moment, do you really think those people simply don't like anyone from other countries? It's that simple?

You don't think it has anything to do with the financial burden those people will incur upon an already out-of-control-and-drowning-in-debt public sector? Not wanting to go to work every day in order to financially support a humungous wave of people who come here illegally & don't show up to their immigration hearings means you're xenophobic? It's that simple for you?

This sounds like a line out of a political playbook instead of an honest opinion. It's almost exactly like when liberals say conservatives don't like Obama because he's black; but they know it's just a bull shit line used to piss people off. If Obama were a conservative then conservatives would be singing his praises, and if Allan West ran against Joe Biden conservatives sure as hell wouldn't support Joe.

Let me ask you this: if a homeless crack head on the street asks you for some money and you say no does that mean you're hobophobic?

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
To get back to Dungy, I was listening to a discussion of this on KNBR this evening while driving home (Tolbert and I think Ratto). They were talking about Dungy's religiousness likely coloring his views on this issue. If that's true, and I believe it may be, it's the height of hypocrisy IMO.

If Michael Sam were actually a good NFL prospect then even Dungy would've drafted him. If Jadaveon Clowney were gay he still would've been the #1 overall pick.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Because having a certain skin colour is not analogous with giving a dude a blow job.

And nobody on planet earth is "discriminating" against Michael Sam by the way. He's actually getting preferential treatment because of all the attention he's drawn. It won't help him in the long run because that will come down to whether he's an NFL-caliber DE, but in the short run he's done absolutely nothing but benefit from being a gay athlete.

So should we compare women and gay men? You know, since they both give dudes blow jobs. . .

And I'm fairly certain that in the case of Tony Dungy he is explicitly saying he would have discriminated against Michael Sam. Unless you believe he'd be giving him preferential treatment.

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's troubling is that people are still trying to compare sexual orientation to skin color and race.

i agree. I think it is the same paranoia.

I hope Micheal Sam succeeds.

This whole "i hate him because he's gay" needs to stop. I suffer from Autism and i'm tone deaf in 1 ear. Would you hate me for playing just because of my disability?

This whole distraction needs to stop.

You want a Distraction??? Go to fucking Cleveland there is a football playing punk who would love to have you.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Some people don't like other people because of how they dress too. Some people don't like other people for all kinds of reasons; that doesn't mean it's intellectually honest to draw a comparison to black people having to use different drinking fountains & being banned from restaurants & sprayed with fire hoses because they were black.

Yeah, because the worst the gay community has had to deal with is name calling. No one has ever been beaten, tortured or killed for being gay.

Being "disliked" is not the same thing as being discriminated against. Michael Sam is being treated more than fairly. People are bending over for him. Backwards. They're bending over backwards for the guy.

You're going to have to explain how people are bending over backwards to help him reach the NFL. What supports is receiving by the powers that control his football fate (not his friends and family and advocates because every prospect has that)?

And Tony Dungy is discriminating against him based on his sexual preference.

Mondo Jay

Wine Mafia
Hoopla Cash
$ 7,690.94
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gay football stories are a good draw here. Go figure.

:noidea:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So should we compare women and gay men? You know, since they both give dudes blow jobs. . .

I suppose that's one particular way in which they're similar.

And I'm fairly certain that in the case of Tony Dungy he is explicitly saying he would have discriminated against Michael Sam. Unless you believe he'd be giving him preferential treatment.

I said he GOT preferential treatment. As in how it actually went down (no pun intended). See the NFL combine. See the ESPYs. He is being treated more than fairly.

And he still got drafted! There might be GMs who would discriminate against him for being gay; there might be other GMs who would draft him solely because he's gay (and the Rams' GM might be one of those guys; spending one of two consecutive picks 6 slots away from Mr. Irrelevant is as close to a throw-away pick as it gets). The fact remains that if you look at what has actually happened to the guy he has nothing to complain about.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well clearly I don't agree with that part (although the word "homophobia" means to be afraid of gay people, which isn't how you're using the term).

Even if not accepting the gay lifestyle were wrong (which it's not), it doesn't mean it's logical to make a comparison of that to something else just because it's wrong. r*pe and littering on someone's front lawn are both wrong; but if you start comparing a litter victim to a r*pe victim you'd sound like an ass.

So which part (homophobia still exists. No it's not as bad as genocide or slavery or internment camps. But they're both still here, and they're both wrong.) isn't wrong? Is homophobia (defined as an extreme and irrational aversion to homosexuality and homosexual people.) Or is genocide/slavery/internment camps not wrong?

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I suppose that's one particular way in which they're similar.

You chose to summarize homosexuality into the nice little bubble of "enjoy giving blowjobs." Of course, I would imagine the entire population of homosexual women would disagree with you on that.

I said he GOT preferential treatment. As in how it actually went down (no pun intended). See the NFL combine. See the ESPYs. He is being treated more than fairly.

I'm asking you to give examples of how people within the NFL gave him preferential treatment. Not the media. You blatantly said he isn't being discriminated against because that relates to his ability to get and retain a job. The media that covers the NFL does not have the ability to force a player into the league.

And he still got drafted! There might be GMs who would discriminate against him for being gay; there might be other GMs who would draft him solely because he's gay (and the Rams' GM might be one of those guys; spending one of two consecutive picks 6 slots away from Mr. Irrelevant is as close to a throw-away pick as it gets).
So he got drafted? Does that prove he wasn't discriminated against? Does it prove he received preferential treatment?

I also see you're hedging now. Now you acknowledge there might be GMs who would discriminate against him (but haven't yet?) So much for your statement earlier that he hasn't been discriminated against. It's rather stupid to make such a zero sum statement anyway.

I'm interested in your evidence that the Rams GM drafted him "solely because he's gay." I mean, a statement like that should have at least a little evidence to back it up. Let's try this: What have the Rams gained by drafting him?

The fact remains that if you look at what has actually happened to the guy he has nothing to complain about.

What has happened to him? Tell me about the last 6 months of his life and how he has nothing to complain about. Do you think the reaction on twitter to the kiss he shared with his boyfriend after he was drafted is something to complain about? Do you think the countless blockheads that have criticized his lifestyle simply because they disagree with it could be something to complain about? Or do you think all of those bigots have kept their thoughts to themselves?

Also, the pun was absolutely intended and roughly what I would expect from a 14 year old. Be better than that.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And if we're going to include the media giving him "preferential treatment" at the combine, how about this treatment from the media:

Y! SPORTS

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's another bull shit "word" used by people who either ignorantly or intentionally butcher the English language:

Conversate | Define Conversate at Dictionary.com

If you really want to argue against Webster's Dictionary, be my guest. The definition for homophobia is right there. I'd rather use a reliable source to determine the meaning of words instead of just subjectively determining which definitions I personally consider bullshit. But hey, what do I know?

Definitions aside though, I still don't see what's so wrong with making a comparison between homophobia and racism. You didn't respond to the main part of that post.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
If you really want to argue against Webster's Dictionary, be my guest. The definition for homophobia is right there. I'd rather use a reliable source to determine the meaning of words instead of just subjectively determining which definitions I personally consider bullshit. But hey, what do I know?

Definitions aside though, I still don't see what's so wrong with making a comparison between homophobia and racism. You didn't respond to the main part of that post.

Because he can't without stating that sexuality is a choice people make and skin colour is is something one is born with, and he knows that he can't make the argument that sexuality is a choice individuals make.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I kind of sensed that floating around. But it hasn't been used. And frankly, I think that's a whole new discussion that won't go anywhere.

SeattleNinersFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Then your context of "discriminating" must differ from mine. I'm talking about his career. Nobody on planet earth is discriminating against the guy in terms of negatively affecting his career 'cause he's gay.

Some people don't like other people because of how they dress too. Some people don't like other people for all kinds of reasons; that doesn't mean it's intellectually honest to draw a comparison to black people having to use different drinking fountains & being banned from restaurants & sprayed with fire hoses because they were black.

Conservatives have been targeted and treated punitively by the IRS the last 4 or 5 years. That's an abuse of power by a government entity. It's wrong. That doesn't mean it's comparable to Jews being put into concentration camps in WWII. Both of those comparisons are whiney, melodramatic and dumb.

Being "disliked" is not the same thing as being discriminated against. Michael Sam is being treated more than fairly. People are bending over for him. Backwards. They're bending over backwards for the guy.

Sickness, are you referring to the IRS scandal that also targeted progressive political groups for tax exempt status? I am surprised that in a thread where you call someone out for using "political talking points" instead of actual opinion you would use a political talking point yourself. Now the IRS scandal is a real thing where they targeted entities filing for non profit status that used political phrases like "Tea Party" or "Progressive" but it went both ways.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do they differ? Particularly in terms of race?

Well, simple. I've meant individuals who have been straight one week, bi the next, gay the next month and then back to straight a few months later. I've never met someone, you know, change races.

I feel like I have to put this disclaimer in here somewhere, but I couldn't care less about what someone does in his or her bedroom, and in no way should they be discriminated against because of it.

But, please, sexual orientation and color of skin are not the same thing.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to get into it with you two numb nuts but FYI- homophobia is a real thing that exists.

I love you both but your perverted world views really are scary sometimes my dudes.

So does racism, and both unfortunately will always exist. But in what way is Sam being discriminated against?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You're misrepresenting what he says. It's the same thing that happened with Tebow. His talent didn't justify the media circus that accompanied him. Neither does Sam's, IMO. It has more to do with the attention (mostly because of the media than anything else) than what Sam does in his bedroom.