• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I hope Michael Sam flames out in the NFL

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
With Bradford at QB, the Rams don't have anything better to do this year than be a reality TV show, so maybe they won't cut the guy. Might as well sell a bunch extra tight Michael Sam jerseys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People discriminate against others due to their skin color/race.

People discriminate against others due to their sexual orientation.

What exactly is wrong with that comparison?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
People discriminate against others due to their skin color/race.

People discriminate against others due to their sexual orientation.

What exactly is wrong with that comparison?

Because having a certain skin colour is not analogous with giving a dude a blow job.

And nobody on planet earth is "discriminating" against Michael Sam by the way. He's actually getting preferential treatment because of all the attention he's drawn. It won't help him in the long run because that will come down to whether he's an NFL-caliber DE, but in the short run he's done absolutely nothing but benefit from being a gay athlete.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because having a certain skin colour is not analogous with giving a dude a blow job.

And nobody on planet earth is "discriminating" against Michael Sam by the way. He's actually getting preferential treatment because of all the attention he's drawn. It won't help him in the long run because that will come down to whether he's an NFL-caliber DE, but in the short run he's done absolutely nothing but benefit from being a gay athlete.

You're claiming that nobody on earth is discriminating against Michael Sam? That's just not true.

By no means am I supporting him. I think he's a flamboyant attention whore. But that's not relevant to anything I was saying.

Some people don't like other dudes because they're black. Some people don't like other dudes because they give blow jobs. Being black and giving blow jobs aren't the same thing, but they do lead to discrimination. Hence the comparison.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not going to get into it with you two numb nuts but FYI- homophobia is a real thing that exists.

I love you both but your perverted world views really are scary sometimes my dudes.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You're claiming that nobody on earth is discriminating against Michael Sam? That's just not true.

Then your context of "discriminating" must differ from mine. I'm talking about his career. Nobody on planet earth is discriminating against the guy in terms of negatively affecting his career 'cause he's gay.

Some people don't like other dudes because they're black. Some people don't like other dudes because they give blow jobs. Being black and giving blow jobs aren't the same thing, but they do lead to discrimination. Hence the comparison.

Some people don't like other people because of how they dress too. Some people don't like other people for all kinds of reasons; that doesn't mean it's intellectually honest to draw a comparison to black people having to use different drinking fountains & being banned from restaurants & sprayed with fire hoses because they were black.

Conservatives have been targeted and treated punitively by the IRS the last 4 or 5 years. That's an abuse of power by a government entity. It's wrong. That doesn't mean it's comparable to Jews being put into concentration camps in WWII. Both of those comparisons are whiney, melodramatic and dumb.

Being "disliked" is not the same thing as being discriminated against. Michael Sam is being treated more than fairly. People are bending over for him. Backwards. They're bending over backwards for the guy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I wasn't using the word "discriminate" to mean that his career is being held back because of his sexual preference. If anything, his homosexuality and attention whore-ness has helped him. I was saying that people in the world will hate him simply because he's gay.

You don't need to see black people segregated to different drinking fountains and blasted with fire hoses to know that racism still exists today. In the same way, homophobia still exists. No it's not as bad as genocide or slavery or internment camps. But they're both still here, and they're both wrong.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
homophobia still exists. No it's not as bad as genocide or slavery or internment camps. But they're both still here, and they're both wrong.

Well clearly I don't agree with that part (although the word "homophobia" means to be afraid of gay people, which isn't how you're using the term).

Even if not accepting the gay lifestyle were wrong (which it's not), it doesn't mean it's logical to make a comparison of that to something else just because it's wrong. r*pe and littering on someone's front lawn are both wrong; but if you start comparing a litter victim to a r*pe victim you'd sound like an ass.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Then your context of "discriminating" must differ from mine. I'm talking about his career. Nobody on planet earth is discriminating against the guy in terms of negatively affecting his career 'cause he's gay.

Some people don't like other people because of how they dress too. Some people don't like other people for all kinds of reasons; that doesn't mean it's intellectually honest to draw a comparison to black people having to use different drinking fountains & being banned from restaurants & sprayed with fire hoses because they were black.

Conservatives have been targeted and treated punitively by the IRS the last 4 or 5 years. That's an abuse of power by a government entity. It's wrong. That doesn't mean it's comparable to Jews being put into concentration camps in WWII. Both of those comparisons are whiney, melodramatic and dumb.

Being "disliked" is not the same thing as being discriminated against. Michael Sam is being treated more than fairly. People are bending over for him. Backwards. They're bending over backwards for the guy.

It's curious you would use that example in this conversation. Gay people were put in concentration camps alongside Jews. The pink triangle, which has been reclaimed as a gay pride symbol, originated as a sign for gay men in concentration camps - it was the equivalent of the star of David marking Jews.

I would address other points of this post, but they are frankly too dumb to validate by doing so.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Well clearly I don't agree with that part (although the word "homophobia" means to be afraid of gay people, which isn't how you're using the term).

Even if not accepting the gay lifestyle were wrong (which it's not), it doesn't mean it's logical to make a comparison of that to something else just because it's wrong. r*pe and littering on someone's front lawn are both wrong; but if you start comparing a litter victim to a r*pe victim you'd sound like an ass.

Yes, and xenophobia means fear of foreigners. The groups meeting the buses of illegals in CA these days are xenophobic. They don't seem terribly afraid.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
It's curious you would use that example in this conversation. Gay people were put in concentration camps alongside Jews. The pink triangle, which has been reclaimed as a gay pride symbol, originated as a sign for gay men in concentration camps - it was the equivalent of the star of David marking Jews.

That's probably the closest tie Michael Sam will have to anything pink which even remotely resembles a triangle.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
To get back to Dungy, I was listening to a discussion of this on KNBR this evening while driving home (Tolbert and I think Ratto). They were talking about Dungy's religiousness likely coloring his views on this issue. If that's true, and I believe it may be, it's the height of hypocrisy IMO.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

homophobia (ˌhəʊməʊˈfəʊbɪə) — n
intense hatred or fear of homosexuals or homosexuality
Homophobia | Define Homophobia at Dictionary.com

I'm not comparing two things just because they're wrong. Hating someone for their race and hating someone for their homosexuality don't seem so far off to me. It's people hating other people for being different. Aside from their obvious technical differences, it seems like the exact same issue to me. One guy chooses not to talk to his black coworker. Another guy chooses not to talk to his gay coworker. I'd say they're both equally jackasses. How are they so different? And don't give me that water fountain segregation line again. I'm talking about today, not from "back in the day".

I don't see how this comparison is even close to your r*pe/littering example.

Inimical

Sports Hooplah Local Reporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 523.17
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3