• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I hope Michael Sam flames out in the NFL

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You may have forgotten you said that.

And yes, "phobic" means fear of. That's how it's used in EVERY single word in history except words liberals have hijacked to change the meaning because they add that suffix to anybody they want to feel like a victim.

Then remind me what I said. My recollection is that I essentially said people protesting buses of illegal immigrants don't appear to be afraid, but they are xenophobic (have a fear or dislike of foreigners). What part of that is a) wrong, or b) reflects any specific stance on immigration?

And you're just wrong about "phobic." There are scientific phobias, which are primarily limited to fears. Then there are cultural or societal phobias, which involve fear and hatred or dislike. No one is playing word games. You just don't understand the actual definition of homophobia.

Phobia - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Phobia: an extremely strong dislike or fear of someone or something

Xenophobia - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Xenophobia: fear and hatred of strangers or foreigners or of anything that is strange or foreign

It's almost impressive that you can keep arguing this in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
You already said you they didn't seem afraid, so you must think those people are displaying hatred of foreigners. That's not an indictment? You think there are valid reasons to hate foreigners? And why do you think those people hate foreigners?

Yes, I do think they hate foreigners. At least the foreigners in question. I don't see that as an indictment. I think those people would agree with my assertion. I have not and will not share my personal views on immigration in this thread.

Again, I'm not weighing in on immigration. There are a number of perfectly valid reasons to protest illegal immigration. I was using an example to demonstrate your flawed understanding of a suffix.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would disagree with both of those statements. Race is a construct, and it has changed at times. In the antebellum South, you could be 80% white and still be considered wholly "black." Hell, all human life originated in Africa, so technically we're all African Americans.

And sexuality isn't a behavior. It can be expressed through behaviors, but it's not limited to those behaviors. Sexuality is who or what you are attracted to. In my experience, that doesn't really change. Some people are just attracted to members of either sex.

I agree with you. I'm just trying to go with what he's saying to get to the bottom of his argument.

"A black person is not capable of not being black."
"The homo' movement is defending a behaviour."

He's saying that someone simply IS black and someone DOES homosexual behavior. I disagree with him but I do recognize the distinction he appears to be making. I agree with your point of view regarding sexuality and who you are attracted to, but I'd rather not go that direction because I don't think much will come of it imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Then remind me what I said. My recollection is that I essentially said people protesting buses of illegal immigrants don't appear to be afraid, but they are xenophobic (have a fear or dislike of foreigners). What part of that is a) wrong, or b) reflects any specific stance on immigration?

a) It's wrong because by process of elimination you're claiming those people dislike foreigners. They have nothing against foreigners. They are against illegal immigration. They have nothing against legal immigration.

b) If you say this isn't a stance on illegal immigration I'll take your word for it.

And you're just wrong about "phobic." There are scientific phobias, which are primarily limited to fears. Then there are cultural or societal phobias, which involve fear and hatred or dislike. No one is playing word games. You just don't understand the actual definition of homophobia.

I understand how liberals define the word. That definition is MADE UP BY THEM. Entirely. It's liberal slang, and I don't accept liberal slang.

Slang has its place, but when it comes to the indictment of people who take a political position I don't accept it, and I don't use it. Just like I don't use the term African-American; that's a stupid, unnecessary term made up by liberals. I say black. Black isn't the least bit offensive, it's 1 / 7th the amount of syllables, and it can apply to people who have both African and other ancestors at the same time.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we're getting a bit carried away with definitions. The definition of homophobia is on several dictionary sources. If you don't like it, then take it up with them. Not my problem.

It's not even that big of a difference anyway. Fearing something and disliking something are nearly synonymous anyway.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Yes, I do think they hate foreigners. At least the foreigners in question. I don't see that as an indictment. I think those people would agree with my assertion.

I've never met a single person who actually hates foreigners. Every single one of those people would disagree with you assertion. They're trying to stop something they think is wrong.

If a million North Koreans all of a sudden showed up and on boats in the United States, would that be a humanitarian crisis or would that be a massive illegal invasion of the country that could break the back of the economy & infrastructure / public services?

Saying they hate foreigners sounds a heck of a lot like a position on illegal immigration to me.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a) It's wrong because by process of elimination you're claiming those people dislike foreigners. They have nothing against foreigners. They are against illegal immigration. They have nothing against legal immigration.

So you're suggesting that they are AFRAID of illegal immigration?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
You said nobody on planet earth. Come on. People are supposed to read through your bullshit lines but adhere to strict dictionary definitions when that pleases you?

Nobody on planet earth did discriminate against the guy!

Some people on twitter called him names. That's not discrimination; that's name calling. Those people have no effect on his NFL career.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
So you're suggesting that they are AFRAID of illegal immigration?

How should I know? I can't speak for them except for the fact that they are against illegal immigration. They're against people breaking our laws.

They could be afraid of the US turning into a giant welfare state & eventually degrading into the Weimar Republic (fiscally) like Greece, Japan & Italy are well on their ways to becoming. That's not my motivation for being against illegal immigration, but I can't speak for their motivations; just their stated positions.

The Weimar Republic is an extreme example, but it can get really, really, really, really bad before it gets even close to that point. And I think that descent is probably inevitable. The size of the public sector & the debt have gone past a tipping point from which there is no return IMO. I could be wrong, but I think it's a matter of when not if.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

b) If you say this isn't a stance on illegal immigration I'll take your word for it.

That's fair. Perhaps I should have just used the word, and not the example.

I honestly do not have strong feelings on the immigration issue. As said, I think it's an incredibly complicated issue without a simple solution. Obviously something must be done. What that is, I certainly can't (and won't) say.

Xponentialchaos

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody on planet earth did discriminate against the guy!

Some people on twitter called him names. That's not discrimination; that's name calling. Those people have no effect on his NFL career.

Now I'm curious. Maybe we do need to dig into this dictionary thing a bit more. Because I don't see where you're getting that it has to have affected his NFL career for it to be discrimination.

Discrimination:

"unfair treatment of a person, racial group, minority, etc; action based on prejudice"

"treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination."

Is this another example of an elaborate liberal conspiracy that hijacked the definition of this word or something?

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Now I'm curious. Maybe we do need to dig into this dictionary thing a bit more. Because I don't see where you're getting that it has to have affected his NFL career for it to be discrimination.

Discrimination:

"unfair treatment of a person, racial group, minority, etc; action based on prejudice"

"treatment or consideration of, or making a distinction in favor of or against, a person or thing based on the group, class, or category to which that person or thing belongs rather than on individual merit: racial and religious intolerance and discrimination."

Is this another example of an elaborate liberal conspiracy that hijacked the definition of this word or something?

So is shit talking before a football game "discriminating" against Seahawk fans?

I said like 6 times I was referring to the context of his NFL career. I know people don't like the guy; I'm one of them. But cry me a f'ing river. Not everyone's gonna like you.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I understand how liberals define the word. That definition is MADE UP BY THEM. Entirely. It's liberal slang, and I don't accept liberal slang.

Slang has its place, but when it comes to the indictment of people who take a political position I don't accept it, and I don't use it. Just like I don't use the term African-American; that's a stupid, unnecessary term made up by liberals. I say black. Black isn't the least bit offensive, it's 1 / 7th the amount of syllables, and it can apply to people who have both African and other ancestors at the same time.

Look, if you're going to disagree with the most reputable dictionary this nation produces (and incidentally, the Oxford English Dictionary has comparable definitions), that's fine. But neither the words nor the definitions are slang.

If we want to talk liberal and conservative stereotypes, you're fitting right in with conservatives who simply refuse to accept evidence that is contrary to the position they have taken.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Look, if you're going to disagree with the most reputable dictionary this nation produces (and incidentally, the Oxford English Dictionary has comparable definitions), that's fine. But neither the words nor the definitions are slang.

If we want to talk liberal and conservative stereotypes, you're fitting right in with conservatives who simply refuse to accept evidence that is contrary to the position they have taken.

Evidence? This isn't a physics experiment; it's a word. I gave you "evidence" that the suffix was used as "fear of" in every other word in human history except words liberals make up.

And how do you know it's not slang? Slang words make their ways into dictionaries because they become common use; not because that's the historical meaning of a word. The word "gay" is slang (in this thread's usage of it); "gay" is in the dictionary.

And if you accept every dictionary definition then you also have to accept the word "conversate," which is (1) in the dictionary and (2) ENTIRELY a misnomer repeated by people who were too ignorant of English to know the word "converse." There are plenty of other examples. This isn't exactly math you know.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No "fear, huh?

fear.png

What's that? The definition of fear includes people, places, or things that an individual or group deems "threatening?"

But.... golly... that would mean that many people are homophobic because of the belief that gay marriage threatens "traditional" marriage, or that people on the border are xenophobic because they believe undocumented immigrants threaten America's economy and job-scape!

Jeez, I sure hope anti immigration idealists don't think it would set a dangerous precedent to allow those kids on the border to stay in America, because I sure wouldn't want anyone to feel any unsubstantiated fear, seeing as net immigration has been at zero over the past 4 years. I especially wouldn't want anyone to feel embarrassed that they've been swindled by propaganda that has lead them to hold irrational worries about undocumented Latinos, when in reality Latino immigration has been sharply declining, while Asian immigration has crept upward to the point of becoming the largest stream of new immigrants entering the U.S.

By golly, I wouldn't want anyone to feel silly.... which is why I'm glad that Conservatives can never be wrong. :yahoo:

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Evidence? This isn't a physics experiment; it's a word. I gave you "evidence" that the suffix was used as "fear of" in every other word in human history except words liberals make up.

And how do you know it's not slang? Slang words make their ways into dictionaries because they become common use; not because that's the historical meaning of a word. The word "gay" is slang (in this thread's usage of it); "gay" is in the dictionary.

And if you accept every dictionary definition then you also have to accept the word "conversate," which is (1) in the dictionary and (2) ENTIRELY a misnomer repeated by people who were too ignorant of English to know the word "converse." There are plenty of other examples. This isn't exactly math you know.

How do you know it is slang? Again, if you disagree with the dictionary definition, that's on you. Let's not then accuse others of playing word games, though.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's starting to look more and more like his coming out was a move of getting as much attention as possible rather than some courageous act.

He probably figured he could either be some fringe NFL player that nobody would think twice about or be a hero to the media and gay community by coming out as the first openly gay NFL player.

The sad part nobody in the media would dare call him out on any of this because of they fear of being called a bigot or being blacklisted in their profession.
Not Tony Dungy.