• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Houston Asterisks

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t see this dying down for a long time. The players are pissed, the fans are pissed.
I know Houston doesn’t come to Detroit til like August and fans are already lining up to call out the hypocrite Verlander.

MLB f’ed up by letting the players off scot-free.

Players are pissed not because of the cheating... they are pissed because it has been handled terribly by both the Astros and Manfred...

Manfred, is making terrible statement after terrible statement, and he is getting ripped apart....

Astros wouldn't own their mistake... they were caught, they were wrong... But they want baseball to say, well everyone is cheating so they did nothing wrong...

If they owned up to it and apologized, this would all be over by now...

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the teacher condoned your cheating in order to make things look better for them, the teacher WILL get fired. In fact there are numerous examples of teachers cheating and giving students grades. In those situations, the teacher gets fired and nothing happens to the students.
Useful.

Hook'Em0608

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 623.24
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know most of you don't really give a shit about the opinion of an Astros fan...

But...

I'm gonna give it anyway. I have zero respect for cheaters. I feel robbed as a fan that the only world series win I've ever been able to witness is forever tainted and unearned by our players. I also feel for fans of other teams who were potentially robbed of seeing their team win in 2017.

Now to the players, I don't feel much of anything toward them. Why? Because not a single Astros player or former player said a damn thing until well after the fact and even then it was 1 guy. A guy who made sure he got his ring and ovation and was all smiles doing it. Took him 2 years to muster the "courage" once he was on a rival quality team in the same division and competing in the playoffs against the Astros.

So if anything, this tells me about the lack of moral compass in professional baseball players. That Astros team wasn't full of morally bankrupt individuals outside the norm of baseball. It was full of modern day baseball players all looking for an edge and not giving a shit about the purity of the game or who might be hurt.

2015 Yankees busted cheating. 2017 Yankees and Red Sox busted cheating. Dodgers busted cheating with laser pointers of some sort. 2018 Red Sox busted cheating. etc etc etc

Those are the best teams in baseball. None of the players said shit about it. No different than the Astros except the Astros won it all, were brazen about it, and un-remorseful when they got caught.

Just my opinion.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know most of you don't really give a shit about the opinion of an Astros fan...

But...

I'm gonna give it anyway. I have zero respect for cheaters. I feel robbed as a fan that the only world series win I've ever been able to witness is forever tainted and unearned by our players. I also feel for fans of other teams who were potentially robbed of seeing their team win in 2017.

Now to the players, I don't feel much of anything toward them. Why? Because not a single Astros player or former player said a damn thing until well after the fact and even then it was 1 guy. A guy who made sure he got his ring and ovation and was all smiles doing it. Took him 2 years to muster the "courage" once he was on a rival quality team in the same division and competing in the playoffs against the Astros.

So if anything, this tells me about the lack of moral compass in professional baseball players. That Astros team wasn't full of morally bankrupt individuals outside the norm of baseball. It was full of modern day baseball players all looking for an edge and not giving a shit about the purity of the game or who might be hurt.

2015 Yankees busted cheating. 2017 Yankees and Red Sox busted cheating. Dodgers busted cheating with laser pointers of some sort. 2018 Red Sox busted cheating. etc etc etc

Those are the best teams in baseball. None of the players said shit about it. No different than the Astros except the Astros won it all, were brazen about it, and un-remorseful when they got caught.

Just my opinion.
Good comment, but the bottom line is the Astros got caught cheating and should relinquish the 2017 World Series trophy.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ask the Blue Jays pitcher who is suing Houston right now. They used their sign stealing/trash can against him — bombed him in less than one inning of work and he was sent down after the game, never to reach the MLB again and is now out of baseball.

It isn’t just the ‘effect’, but what it did to opposing pitchers.

You think the reason that guy never made it is because of the one inning he got in the majors? Seriously?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

But...

Just my opinion.

Pretty much this.

When it is all said and done this is just a game.

Every team will cheat if they think they can get away with it. In every sport.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty much this.

When it is all said and done this is just a game.

Every team will cheat if they think they can get away with it. In every sport.
But when a team gets caught cheating, then must suffer the consequence of their breaking the rules.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah my post #230 was, "Maybe, but the students have to suffer the consequences of cheating".

Right. And if you look at the quoted text where it shows the name of the person you quoted, you'll understand what I am referring to.

Clearly you didn't mean to type that. No big deal if you did, I just understand the reference which makes sense since it doesn't seem like there was a reference.

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right. And if you look at the quoted text where it shows the name of the person you quoted, you'll understand what I am referring to.

Clearly you didn't mean to type that. No big deal if you did, I just understand the reference which makes sense since it doesn't seem like there was a reference.
Yeah you're right, I missed that.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Players are pissed not because of the cheating... they are pissed because it has been handled terribly by both the Astros and Manfred...

Manfred, is making terrible statement after terrible statement, and he is getting ripped apart....

Astros wouldn't own their mistake... they were caught, they were wrong... But they want baseball to say, well everyone is cheating so they did nothing wrong...

If they owned up to it and apologized, this would all be over by now...

There is absolutely zero chance if the Houston said sorry after the report came out — it’d all be over.

You have players calling them out for screwing with the livelihood of other players, you have players talking about getting screwed out of MVP or World Series. You have zero discipline for the players who benefited from the cheating. You have guys who rarely comment in the media calling them out for what they did.

catlanta33

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Just my opinion.

That's really it. It seems the best strategy is to be just like that. UNC has done that in CBB, Patrick Reed has done this in golf and NE did it with all their cheating.

We expect people to own the mistakes, say they're sorry and move on so when they don't show remorse, it will undoubtedly trigger opposing fans. Which will probably bring more distractions throughout the year but if the Astros go win ballgames then eventually, people will tire out.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is absolutely zero chance if the Houston said sorry after the report came out — it’d all be over.

You have players calling them out for screwing with the livelihood of other players, you have players talking about getting screwed out of MVP or World Series. You have zero discipline for the players who benefited from the cheating. You have guys who rarely comment in the media calling them out for what they did.

well, with Manfred making so many mistakes, you are probably right... But the target would be mostly on Manfred...

but point is, if Houston gave a real apology... whether fake or not... they wouldn't be ripped apart like this...

your point about players commenting, you have to remember that the situation is topical right now, and all interviewers will ask questions about this...

if this was handled correctly by Houston and Manfred, I do think that this scandal would be passing... and we would be talking about other things... Like how Javier Baez claimed that the 2019 failures were due to Cubs be unprepared...