• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
alright, feel like you're calling us out here. I try not to see what i see in the previews or upcoming movies myself, as i prefer to come into a movie with no preconceived notions (be it horror or otherwise), if per chance i come across a horror movie i'll do better to mention it here. granted even if i watch one i hate to give a review, meh, we'll work on it.
Wasn't meaning to call out this place at all! I love this place, and especially this thread. Just feels like the participation in here is very sporadic. Sports seasons play a huge part obviously.

I grow very tired of posting on IMDB. I have about 10 different accounts that I post from because I kept getting spammed & trolled by idiots. I mainly like to read reviews from people that I know. I don't dare read too far into IMDB because of how far people have gone to give movies ratings boosts. And honestly there are far too many varying opinions on that site from people that really don't seem to know horror at all. I'd much rather post with a smaller group of people that all have similar interests in horror films. Not that I don't like varying opinions in this thread, simply that its a "safe space" to post and get feedback instead of assholes just trying to get attention. Don't think I have come across a single person in this thread that I don't enjoy talking horror with.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also wish we could get people to stop posting separate threads for upcoming horror films and just get more involved in here. But that's mainly just the OCD inside me.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't meaning to call out this place at all! I love this place, and especially this thread. Just feels like the participation in here is very sporadic. Sports seasons play a huge part obviously.

I grow very tired of posting on IMDB. I have about 10 different accounts that I post from because I kept getting spammed & trolled by idiots. I mainly like to read reviews from people that I know. I don't dare read too far into IMDB because of how far people have gone to give movies ratings boosts. And honestly there are far too many varying opinions on that site from people that really don't seem to know horror at all. I'd much rather post with a smaller group of people that all have similar interests in horror films. Not that I don't like varying opinions in this thread, simply that its a "safe space" to post and get feedback instead of assholes just trying to get attention. Don't think I have come across a single person in this thread that I don't enjoy talking horror with.
i hear you, i guess i'll keep my stuff generic, though i'll pop off on the occasional ridiculousness like jeepers creepers 3 if it's something available to everyone and known to everyone.

for what it was i don't know if it was you or another haunted house llc or whatever it was, for what it was, i enjoyed it, that was the extent of my review, i probably won't go deeper than that on very independent fair.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i hear you, i guess i'll keep my stuff generic, though i'll pop off on the occasional ridiculousness like jeepers creepers 3 if it's something available to everyone and known to everyone.

for what it was i don't know if it was you or another haunted house llc or whatever it was, for what it was, i enjoyed it, that was the extent of my review, i probably won't go deeper than that on very independent fair.
lmao... those JC3 posts from you were gold. "Sporting a red shirt all night and looking more swole"

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad Samaritan (2018)

Switching it up a bit this morning with a Crime/Thriller review. This was a very solid thriller, with sprinkles of horror elements throughout the movie. The build-up of suspense was masterful. The combination of great script & great acting make this film very entertaining. David Tennant, the antagonist, puts on a great performance. The supporting roles from Condon, Sheehan, Byers, etc were all solid in their own right as well.

The storyline didn't push the plot too far out of the reasonable realm of possibility which made it that much more compelling IMO. There was some obvious character stupidity (mainly the detective) that directed the plot. Sort of a bummer when it wasn't an effective character at all. He was necessary, but the way they used him felt very lackluster. The climax & resolution didn't feel all too satisfactory. The good guys do end up winning, captives saved, etc, but the loose ends didn't come full circle. And the cookie cutter climax where the serial killer's den is out in the sticks is growing tiresome, however plausible it is. The resolution, or lack thereof, problem was primarily with the gf (Riley) left hospitalized & scorned. While this isn't necessarily a problem, the way it was handled is. There's a certain feel to those scenes that is given by all the techniques of storytelling and filmmaking that essentially tell you what to expect in that plot arc. The way the plot with Riley was told & the hospital scene expected a resolution that was to come, but never did. There is no ending to that arc and it's clear that this wasn't intentional. That was just bad story telling. They built up a love story that abruptly ended in dramatic effect, only to lop that thread off at the knees and leave it for dead. Something as simple as showing Riley watching the news coverage of the killer being caught & kid being absolved would have sufficed. Small gripe in the grand scheme of things though.

Overall this film was very entertaining. Lots of tense twists & turns to the plot progression. Would definitely recommend it.

Great Crime Thriller... 8/10

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Halloween last night. Didn’t really think much of it. Not a lot of suspense to it, which made the original great. This was another one where I didn’t really care whether or not the characters lived or died. Although the chubby teen looked like he could’ve been Eldon Henson’s (Foggy on the Daredevil show) son. I’d give it 2 out of 5 stars.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Halloween last night. Didn’t really think much of it. Not a lot of suspense to it, which made the original great. This was another one where I didn’t really care whether or not the characters lived or died. Although the chubby teen looked like he could’ve been Eldon Henson’s (Foggy on the Daredevil show) son. I’d give it 2 out of 5 stars.
Agreed. Not enough exposure to Michael, and too much unnecessary writing. The writers tried way too hard.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awaken The Shadowman (2017)

Yeesh, this one was ugly from the start. There is really nothing to applaud to this indie movie. Shoddy, B-grade cinematics & cgi, bad acting, and the mood building was slow & porous. Made it very difficult to finish. There were a few genuine creepy moments which I can appreciate, but it failed to build or hold onto it. Some of the filming frames were unique, but only a few were worthwhile. Premise had a decent hook, and I was drunk enough to believe the trailer. The entire film was essentially compacted into the climax. Everything prior felt like superfluous fluff material. The time jumps ended up being maddening because there wasn't enough story to begin with. Not to mention all the plot threads that never got tied off. And a lot of it was not even passable to the "open to interpretation" argument. Just a badly written piece altogether. I wouldn't recommend it.

Roll credits... 3/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Black Water (2007)

A good ol' fashioned Aussie survival flick! Very simple plot & progression to this film, which I'm sure will deter a lot of people from watching it. In a nutshell, 3 tourists go out sight seeing on the Australian swamps and get attacked by a territorial crocodile. Very low budget film but it delivers an effective product. Kudos to the film crew for capturing such realistic footage. The crocodile is very real, and there is no cgi/fx, and the filming location does take place in an actual Aussie swamp. So I have to imagine the film crew put themselves in very real danger to shoot their footage.

The acting was very believable, despite the roles being more demanding than one might think. Portrayal of confusion, panic & injuries suffered along the way were all well done. There's a very real feel to this film which is what all survival thrillers should strive to be! It makes it a lot easier for the viewers to place themselves into their predicament and gives you a much more dramatic experience. Once the survival situation kicks into play, the movie gets tense and never lets go of the suspense all the way through to the climax.

Simple, but effective... 7.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dark Mountain (2013)

Another indie found footage film. Loved the setting & premise to this movie. Filmed in Arizona near the real Superstition Mountains so it is full of great nature shots which alternate with the 1st person camera shots. The documentary style filming helps us get acquainted with the characters. Some of the camera filters were unnecessary though. Not knowing anything at all about the local tales of Superstition Mountain made it an intriguing experience. The script has some cool recanted stories about the area. Sorta like watching a film about actors telling ghost stories about the location they are at. Pretty fun experience for the most part until the suspense picks up. It does rely heavily on the jump scares to produce its frights, but it doesn't necessarily water down the experience. What ultimately does is when you get beaten to death from all of the clichés, misdirections and plot holes. And the ending was abrupt and takes a sudden turn from the supernatural to the extraterrestrial. The script itself was very vague in regards to the main plotline. I think the film wanted you to simply get wrapped up in the allure of the location and all of the superstition, rather than the plot itself. Because overall the plot was sort of a convoluted mess. You get a stalker, ghosts/demons, aliens, and sudden possessions. It was....... unique, but sadly I didn't feel it landed very well.

Haphazard experience, but not bad... 6/10

drbuck10

Viva La Revolucion
Hoopla Cash
$ 877.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New trailer for a horror movie called "The Hole in the Ground":

I've seen quite a few of these "changeling" type films but this one has me intrigued. Kids are still creepy as hell

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally got around to watching Pontypool last night. I thought it was a solid and different take on the outbreak/zombie genre with a low budget. I'd give it 3 out of 5 stars.
I've heard rumors that they're doing or planning on doing a sequel to this. If so, I'll definitely check it out.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
New trailer for a horror movie called "The Hole in the Ground":

I've seen quite a few of these "changeling" type films but this one has me intrigued. Kids are still creepy as hell
This has the look of one of those films where it turns out the mother was psycho all along, but I hope not. Definitely has me intrigued! Love the filtered lighting they are using for the nature shots. Nice touch.

drbuck10

Viva La Revolucion
Hoopla Cash
$ 877.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This has the look of one of those films where it turns out the mother was psycho all along, but I hope not. Definitely has me intrigued! Love the filtered lighting they are using for the nature shots. Nice touch.
definitely gives me a Babadook vibe

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
zombieland10yearchallenge.jpg

drbuck10

Viva La Revolucion
Hoopla Cash
$ 877.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Im incredibly stoked for the Scary Stories to Tell In The Dark movie to come out(those books were some of my favorite as a child). Here's a few ads for it:

I honestly am not sure how they plan to turn stories into an actual movie but it looks fun. Here's hoping they go for a hard R instead of PG-13