• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Crap, I have an idea for what could possibly be the greatest horror movie of all time!

I haven't quite fleshed everything out yet, but it involves tying @FaCe-LeE-uS to a chair and forcing him to watch 24 hours of movies with subtitles!

tenor.gif
:pound::pound::pound:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy Crap, I have an idea for what could possibly be the greatest horror movie of all time!

I haven't quite fleshed everything out yet, but it involves tying @FaCe-LeE-uS to a chair and forcing him to watch 24 hours of movies with subtitles!

tenor.gif
:pound::pound::pound:
You’d never take me alive.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched both Dead Snow and Dead Snow: Red vs Dead. I haven't seen these in a few years and they were both as good as I remember. I feel like the director must've really liked the Evil Dead movies because there seems to be plenty of similarities. Hope that there will eventually be a third one.
On the previews of the first Dead Snow, there was a preview for a movie called Pontypool that looked interesting. Has anyone ever seen that?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just watched both Dead Snow and Dead Snow: Red vs Dead. I haven't seen these in a few years and they were both as good as I remember. I feel like the director must've really liked the Evil Dead movies because there seems to be plenty of similarities. Hope that there will eventually be a third one.
On the previews of the first Dead Snow, there was a preview for a movie called Pontypool that looked interesting. Has anyone ever seen that?
Pontypool is good! Sort of a strange movie in that it’s a Z-flick but it severely lacks action. More of a slow burning psychological horror film. But it works out better than you might think. McHattie was good.

drbuck10

Viva La Revolucion
Hoopla Cash
$ 877.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pontypool is good! Sort of a strange movie in that it’s a Z-flick but it severely lacks action. More of a slow burning psychological horror film. But it works out better than you might think. McHattie was good.
I didn't care for Pontypool. I felt that once they got to the explanation of why an outbreak occurred, it was incredibly stupid. I did enjoy the first 30 minutes but
the whole infection caused by words
was pretty stupid IMO.

BTW, I haven't seen it mentioned(in that I haven't scoured all 160+ pages, but I just checked out The Ritual on Netflix and would give it a high recommendation.

Dude McCrackin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s with all the Birdbox talk? Is this a horror and is it any good?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't care for Pontypool. I felt that once they got to the explanation of why an outbreak occurred, it was incredibly stupid. I did enjoy the first 30 minutes but
the whole infection caused by words
was pretty stupid IMO.

BTW, I haven't seen it mentioned(in that I haven't scoured all 160+ pages, but I just checked out The Ritual on Netflix and would give it a high recommendation.
Honestly I barely remembered what it was about but did recall liking it for the most part. I’ll have to revisit it some time soon.

The Ritual was pretty wild! I wrote a review on it. Easiest way to find a review or post in here in regards to a movie is to use the search function. Just check the “search this thread” (or whatever it’s called) option and use the movie title as the keyword.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What’s with all the Birdbox talk? Is this a horror and is it any good?
I just watched it last weekend. Decent movie but felt like a ripoff of A Quiet Place. Just a twist on the concept & antagonist. Lots of character stupidity but a decently entertaining watch. Would have benefited from a smaller cast.

Dude McCrackin

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just watched it last weekend. Decent movie but felt like a ripoff of A Quiet Place. Just a twist on the concept & antagonist. Lots of character stupidity but a decently entertaining watch. Would have benefited from a smaller cast.

Thank you sir..

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Finally saw the previews for Glass. I think my ol' buddy M. Night just might have a winner on his hands.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Birdbox was a solid 7.0 for me. Always nice to have John Malkovich in a movie.

Just saw Hereditary on Amazon Prime. Not impressed. Some clever imagery and special efx, but the story left me wanting more.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1 more college football game....so that means I'll be spending more time in here and watching Horror stuff.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saw the internet craze surrounding Bird Box.....people are so fucking stupid.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if any of y'all came over from CBS Sports but wlk3 passed away last month before Christmas.

Fucking cancer took somebody far too young at just 41.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bird Box (2018)

On Netflix! I'll just go ahead and say this will contain spoilers, so be warned.

In a nutshell, this film is a post-apocalyptic thriller in the same vein of A Quiet Place. There are plenty of differences that make this movie worth watching but overall it has a hard time giving the viewer a new or different experience. As I was watching I was able to predict most of the things that happened, and a twist that should have been shocking ends up being the weakest part of the movie. The combination of a thin plot, too much character building, an abundance of plot holes, and a lacking antagonist weakened the film. The movie is at its best when the tension from the mysterious creatures is heightened in small places. When there are too many characters on screen you don't feel the urgency or connect with the characters that may not make it. And honestly some of the moments in this movie insulted my intelligence and character stupidity was abundant. The scene where they are driving the car blind was absurd. There's no f*cking way that would be possible. And I laughed when they pulled up to the store, and the black dude said (while blindfolded) "the door should be right over here", as if he knew exactly where they had blindly parked. And the boating down the river was hard to imagine. Do-able, yes, but not as easily as they made it look. And the final sanctuary? How was that place protected? Might have missed something, but all they said was birds were an early warning system, not a deterrent.

Casting was a failure in my opinion. Not only did Malkovich not get enough screen time, but they vastly underutilized Sarah Paulson. Honestly she was better suited for the lead role and the movie would have benefited immensely from it. Sandra Bullock was not very good. And I'm honestly starting to question why I ever thought she was good in the past. Her acting is just abrasive, and lacking emotional range. The emotional moments of this film, which were supposed to have great impact on plot development, felt very dull because of her. Her character arc should have landed better, but I think she held the role back. I thought Trevante Rhodes put on a good performance. Also think the movie would have benefited from a smaller cast.

This is nothing more than a high-budget, high-gloss version of the typical end-of-the-world disaster flicks. Decent entertainment if you're looking for new material, but its nothing close to what the internet craze is making it out to be. It's chalked full of plot holes. A Quiet Place was far superior in almost every facet.

Decent but dull entertainment... 5.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Birdbox was a solid 7.0 for me. Always nice to have John Malkovich in a movie.

Just saw Hereditary on Amazon Prime. Not impressed. Some clever imagery and special efx, but the story left me wanting more.
Going to do a review on Hereditary soon. Felt the same on the story. The ending landed well enough, but overall felt like it could have been better. Acting was pretty good though. The mother in particular.

drbuck10

Viva La Revolucion
Hoopla Cash
$ 877.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to do a review on Hereditary soon. Felt the same on the story. The ending landed well enough, but overall felt like it could have been better. Acting was pretty good though. The mother in particular.
I quite enjoyed it but felt it was a movie of 2 halves that almost made it feel like 2 different movies. It's entertaining to talk to people who watched it and everyone has their own reasoning for either enjoying the 1st or 2nd half more. I actually preferred the 1st half as the tension that was built reached very uncomfortable levels that I felt the 2nd half couldn't capitalize on. Still, probably my favorite horror film of '18.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hereditary (2018)

SPOILERS WARNING!

This film wants very badly to be a smart, allegorical horror-film. It is gloriously weird, and at times visually striking... But it never quite makes up its mind over what its about, and so it ends up being mostly just a weird movie for whatever its worth. There is a lot of good material to be found within the plot, and much of it is genuinely creepy & surreal, thanks in large part to excellent cinematography (lighting & sound-design) and fantastic performances. Overall the film plays out as a supernatural Greek tragedy of sorts, in which every member of this tragic family will suffer some sort of cruel fate. The acting was superb and each character script was perfectly harmonized to drive the plot forward. The script excelled at creating character conflicts, which was a common theme in regards to the mother's character arc. Toni Collette was stellar. Her displays of different levels of emotional turmoil were masterful. The cinematics were also quite the highlight to this film. There is a certain pleasure to be found in watching a film which is as stylistically refined as this one is. The imagery makes bold use of lighting & color, mostly saturated with darker tones which draws your eyes towards the light & color in each scene. One filming gimmick that I found oddly intriguing were the mother's dioramas (as seen in the opening sequence of the trailer above). It gave me the sense that the entire film was taking place in a dollhouse, which I think was a perfect allusion to a predestined sequence of events, or fate.

All sounds well and dandy for a horror film, right? Well, at a certain point the film erroneously introduces certain B-movie horror tropes that just seemed too contrasting to the film's original material. And this is where I felt the film struggled to decide its own identity. The film creeps into supernatural Insidious territory, and ultimately devolves into the typical tale of demonic possession derived by cult influence. Sort of like Insidious meets Paranormal Activity. There's a lot going on this film which sort of blurs the original themes & concepts. It's not necessarily bad that the film brings up all these notions without delving into each one, its just frustrating that it never seems to resolve into a satisfying focus. I think it ultimately pulled too much focus away from the mother's character arc, of which it spent the most time building to begin with, which could have been the more satisfying plotline & outcome, and ultimately a more terrifying horror experience.

What I didn't quite grasp were the plot threads about a possible mental illness. The mixture of psychological grief, mental illness & the supernatural were interwoven to produce a lot of questions. I understood how the grief aspects drove the mother into her suggested mental state. But was that supposed to be genetic mental illness that "opened the door to demonic possession"? I think thats the way we were supposed to take it, but still not quite sure. The title of the film itself might be the answer. What fearful things might be genetically or inherently transmitted, such as mental illness and/or the occult. It's just hard to decipher whether its one or the other, or both.

Overall I enjoyed this film. It was unnerving at times, and stylistically superb, but I do feel like it should have kept the original focus of the 1st half of the film. Once the film devolves it struggles to live up to the suspense it built. But it doesn't end up being a bad film.

Style over substance... 7.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure if any of y'all came over from CBS Sports but wlk3 passed away last month before Christmas.

Fucking cancer took somebody far too young at just 41.
:rip:

Sad to hear. Don't know if I knew him too well on the Hoop? Sounds familiar though.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 12,971.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:rip:

Sad to hear. Don't know if I knew him too well on the Hoop? Sounds familiar though.

Really hit me hard......shortly after my mom passed on Feb 21, 2017.....I found out about WLK's battle.....used to PM about his betting and we'd eventually talk about his fight.....PM'ed him on Nov 27 and 3 weeks later he got his wings.....crazy, just crazy.