• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shouldn't say horrendous. I loved the start and it had potential but at a certain point they did a 180 and completely changed the tone of it and I thought it went off the rails after that.

Also in terms of the decision making of characters this one really stretched my belief. If it had decided what kind of movie it wanted to be I would have appreciated it more but it was so schizophrenic.
i must have forget it then. i watched it and the original appearance after that, i didn't thin, the characters in the movie did anything out of the realm of stupidity that wouldn't have been expected at that point. not that they try to start.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martial Arterial Spray: Why Are the Ass-Kicking Descendants of ‘The Raid’ Buried Somewhere on Netflix?

Two movies to watch on Netflix.

I haven't watched Apostle yet, but I caught The Night Comes For Us last night.

So, this isn't technically a horror movie.
It's a martial arts film, but yeah, there's a pretty good amount of blood in it.
I really wasn't sure where to post about this film, but this felt appropriate.
My apologies if this film sullies the reputation of the many fine horror films mentioned here.

If you were a fan of the Raid films, definitely check this one out.

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I shouldn't say horrendous. I loved the start and it had potential but at a certain point they did a 180 and completely changed the tone of it and I thought it went off the rails after that.

Perfect description of this movie. Had such potential! But it just took a wrong turn somewhere.

TheDayMan

Day Butt Ass the sadgaydayboy
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,190.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Exorcist, theatrical or director's cut. Go!

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A digital copy of The Nun w/Korean subtitles now available just in time for Halloween, very thoughtful of them.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,946.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Had to scroll through 3 pages of the entertainment group to find it and sees it hasn't been used since Halloween......*

College football is almost over so that will free up Saturdays to watch scary stuff....

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of good stuff.....HOLY SCHIZNITT!!!! Did anyone see the trailer for Overlord yet?

This looks like it has EPIC potential. Let's all hope that JJ Abrams doesn't screw this up!

Hey guys! I'm baaaaack! Lost all my jakedog56 account info a few months back when I got a new phone. Tried everything but I couldn't log in. But I digress.......

Finally saw Overlord the other night. Surprised it hasn't been reviewed here yet.

Visually spectacular opening. Characters are well developed (perhaps a bit too obviously so/cookie cutter stereotypes in some cases). Storyline is cool. FXs are very good. Acting is solid. Production values are great.
But there is something lacking overall. It is almost more of a war movie than a horror movie, and when they do jump into the zombie stuff they should really go full on overboard. While they do get crazy at times they could go all out for more scenes and really gore it up. However it is a relatively small complaint. My bigger issue was the relatively happy ending. A darker ending would have improved it.

By the numbers it has been a relative box office failure. I attribute this to the stupidity of pushing the release date from October 26th to November 11th. A Halloween release would have lead to a much better performance.

Check it out on video release. A solid 8 out of 10.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*Had to scroll through 3 pages of the entertainment group to find it and sees it hasn't been used since Halloween......*

College football is almost over so that will free up Saturdays to watch scary stuff....
I took it easy on the horror after the October binge season.

Did catch the Halloween requel over the weekend. It seemed decent enough, though some of the character choices left something to be desired.

Diamondeye

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The "Into the Dark" movie series by Hulu has been really good so far.

They're releasing a new movie/story each month and are up to three of them.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aw, never mind...just watched Truth or Dare.
Truth-or-Dare-2017-Nick-Simon-syfy-movie-4.jpg

Didn't get it, who was behind the whole thing?
In any event, some of the 'dares' were pretty brutal, particularly the teeth yanking scenes, so I'll give it that.

Also, the BoobMeter is now set to Millennial Boob Alert! That's a plus!

Now, I'm watching a real horror movie; I think this may be the 4th time I've watched this greatness.

Train to Busan

th

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alright you guys, I need a movie recommendation for the evening; Netflix, Amazon Prime or whatever. @FaCe-LeE-uS , @returnofjakedog or @jakedog56 (lol, whatev), DJ, @Taddy Mason , @Niner Outlaw ....gimme a little help, wilya?
Sorry I wasn't around my man... But here's a few for future rec's

Netflix:
The Ritual... Dudes go hiking in the woods. Gold.
Cam... Haven't seen this but heard good things
Raw... Haven't seen this one yet either. Want to give it a chance though. High ratings.
Veronica... Subtitled, but heard its good.
Creep 2... If you've seen the 1st then you'll want to give this one a watch. A little more sinister, but Duplass still amazes.

Amazon:
The Loved Ones... Still watch this twisted one from time to time.
The Neon Demon... Strange & visually uncomfortable. But somethin tells me you'd like it! Still don't know how I feel about it.
Afflicted... Found footage type. Pretty decent.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About to watch the newest Halloween! :suds:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About to watch the newest Halloween! :suds:
So much nostalgia to love about this movie... But ultimately broke my heart. Too many glaring issues with it. I wanted so badly to look past 'em, but they became insurmountable. To the point where it was downright laughably stupid.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halloween (2018)

Ugh. This movie is troublesome so bear with me. Full disclosure before I get started. Many of you know that the original Halloween film released back in 1978 was my Holy Grail of horror films. It started it all for me. I had been anticipating this film since it was announced. Jamie Lee back in action with none other than John Carpenter onboard as producer/scorer... I was all-in. So beware, this will be lengthy!

Like I said in the post above, there was a lot of nostalgia to love about this movie. The setting, the original synth scores, the cinematography, the plot, the stalking, the characters... they all recaptured the original movie very well. Some would call it a blatant ripoff, but I call it paying homage to the film that started it all. Some of the scenes were obvious recaptures from the original (bus escape, window reveal, JLC falling from the roof & disappearing act, etc), so you know they are paying respects and not trying to reinvent the wheel.

What hurts this movie the most was writing. Apart form it being a convoluted mess, it simply doesn't grasp the previous films in regards to conceptualizing the plot. What I mean by that is that this film produces GLARING holes just to fit its end-game. Everything felt forced & contrived. I found myself constantly asking why people were being so stupid. Michael being conveniently transferred on Halloween night, the police officer conveniently forgetting the past nor putting the town on notice (rather playing janitor while people are being slaughtered), JLC built up to be uber-prepared yet conveniently leaves the lights off for Michael when he arrives and decorated the house with mannequins, etc etc.... Those are just a taste of the lengthy list that I could produce.

The first half of the movie was awesome. From the beginning to when Michael arrives in Haddonfield was solid. It could have been the nostalgia covering up any issues but I loved it. However, slowly but surely the subpar writing began to reveal itself creating nothing but frustration for me. I think it sort of had an identity crisis from the dreaded "over-writing". It goes from being a psychoanalysis backstory to build tension & background (done on purpose to recalibrate this franchise for newer viewers), to then trying to build character development with character relationships & trauma, then it becomes a stalk & slash film much like its predecessors, to an oddly placed teenager relationship drama sequence, to then becoming a full-fledged action-packed revenge film. Lots of scenes & tones that transitioned without much coherency, almost as if they were trying to force several film genres into one movie. That is amateur writing. Some of the subplots were just too far out-of-left-field sotospeak. They spring up & go absolutely nowhere. Shoddy writing at its finest.

Now lets talk about Michael. The man, the myth, the legend. They knocked his character out of the park. Simply brilliant. I've seen writers & directors fail too many times with his character, so it was refreshing to see them recapture his menace. The kills in this movie were akin to the Rob Zombie entries in terms of explicit violence, but they were more slasher-styled than the brute-force type, and more tastefully displayed. Which is exactly what it should be. I hated when they built him up to be some supernatural force of nature. One of my only gripes about his character was his usage. In the originals he made the movies. His presence was never absent for longer than 5 minutes, whereas in this reboot there are scenes as long as 20-25mins where you don't know where or what the hell he's up to. I long for the extended cut of this film because I am hopeful for extended stalking sequences and hopefully better production editing. Also gotta admit that I was very happy that they never showed Michael's face. The anticipation of the mask-off scenes added a pretty cool suspense element that I wasn't prepared for. I would have been upset had they put a face to the mask and then let that new actor take on the role of Michael, rather than letting the mask be the villain, if you catch my drift.

The film elements... The overall suspense is somewhat lackluster, due in large part to the writing clusterfuck. But it does produce several hair-raising moments of suspense that any horror fan would love, especially when it plays to its root strengths of being a slasher film. I can't help but think of how much better this film would have been had these elements been prioritized throughout the film. The acting was decent. JLC relives her horror glory days with a strong performance. Most of the newer cast members hold their own, but the writing ultimately failed them. The cinematography was good, but inconsistent. The tones ranged between indie to big-production horror. The mixture worked pretty well though. The climax was contrived in regards to how it played out, but I was satisfied with the ending.

There is lots to love about this film, but the writing shoots itself in the foot too many times and produces an overall mishmash mess of a film. I had higher hopes and can't help but feel deprived of a much more glorious reboot. But I'm probably overcritical of this film given my fandom of the originals. So take this review with a grain of salt.

Beautifully derived, but feeling contrived, and ultimately deprived! 6/10

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much nostalgia to love about this movie... But ultimately broke my heart. Too many glaring issues with it. I wanted so badly to look past 'em, but they became insurmountable. To the point where it was downright laughably stupid.
Was going to inquire or add what I thought was shitty about it. I'll do my best to get through the post, very long, very drunk. Eagles game still on tap. Congrats to the Steelers

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Halloween (2018)

Ugh. This movie is troublesome so bear with me. Full disclosure before I get started. Many of you know that the original Halloween film released back in 1978 was my Holy Grail of horror films. It started it all for me. I had been anticipating this film since it was announced. Jamie Lee back in action with none other than John Carpenter onboard as producer/scorer... I was all-in. So beware, this will be lengthy!

Like I said in the post above, there was a lot of nostalgia to love about this movie. The setting, the original synth scores, the cinematography, the plot, the stalking, the characters... they all recaptured the original movie very well. Some would call it a blatant ripoff, but I call it paying homage to the film that started it all. Some of the scenes were obvious recaptures from the original (bus escape, window reveal, JLC falling from the roof & disappearing act, etc), so you know they are paying respects and not trying to reinvent the wheel.

What hurts this movie the most was writing. Apart form it being a convoluted mess, it simply doesn't grasp the previous films in regards to conceptualizing the plot. What I mean by that is that this film produces GLARING holes just to fit its end-game. Everything felt forced & contrived. I found myself constantly asking why people were being so stupid. Michael being conveniently transferred on Halloween night, the police officer conveniently forgetting the past nor putting the town on notice (rather playing janitor while people are being slaughtered), JLC built up to be uber-prepared yet conveniently leaves the lights off for Michael when he arrives and decorated the house with mannequins, etc etc.... Those are just a taste of the lengthy list that I could produce.

The first half of the movie was awesome. From the beginning to when Michael arrives in Haddonfield was solid. It could have been the nostalgia covering up any issues but I loved it. However, slowly but surely the subpar writing began to reveal itself creating nothing but frustration for me. I think it sort of had an identity crisis from the dreaded "over-writing". It goes from being a psychoanalysis backstory to build tension & background (done on purpose to recalibrate this franchise for newer viewers), to then trying to build character development with character relationships & trauma, then it becomes a stalk & slash film much like its predecessors, to an oddly placed teenager relationship drama sequence, to then becoming a full-fledged action-packed revenge film. Lots of scenes & tones that transitioned without much coherency, almost as if they were trying to force several film genres into one movie. That is amateur writing. Some of the subplots were just too far out-of-left-field sotospeak. They spring up & go absolutely nowhere. Shoddy writing at its finest.

Now lets talk about Michael. The man, the myth, the legend. They knocked his character out of the park. Simply brilliant. I've seen writers & directors fail too many times with his character, so it was refreshing to see them recapture his menace. The kills in this movie were akin to the Rob Zombie entries in terms of explicit violence, but they were more slasher-styled than the brute-force type, and more tastefully displayed. Which is exactly what it should be. I hated when they built him up to be some supernatural force of nature. One of my only gripes about his character was his usage. In the originals he made the movies. His presence was never absent for longer than 5 minutes, whereas in this reboot there are scenes as long as 20-25mins where you don't know where or what the hell he's up to. I long for the extended cut of this film because I am hopeful for extended stalking sequences and hopefully better production editing. Also gotta admit that I was very happy that they never showed Michael's face. The anticipation of the mask-off scenes added a pretty cool suspense element that I wasn't prepared for. I would have been upset had they put a face to the mask and then let that new actor take on the role of Michael, rather than letting the mask be the villain, if you catch my drift.

The film elements... The overall suspense is somewhat lackluster, due in large part to the writing clusterfuck. But it does produce several hair-raising moments of suspense that any horror fan would love, especially when it plays to its root strengths of being a slasher film. I can't help but think of how much better this film would have been had these elements been prioritized throughout the film. The acting was decent. JLC relives her horror glory days with a strong performance. Most of the newer cast members hold their own, but the writing ultimately failed them. The cinematography was good, but inconsistent. The tones ranged between indie to big-production horror. The mixture worked pretty well though. The climax was contrived in regards to how it played out, but I was satisfied with the ending.

There is lots to love about this film, but the writing shoots itself in the foot too many times and produces an overall mishmash mess of a film. I had higher hopes and can't help but feel deprived of a much more glorious reboot. But I'm probably overcritical of this film given my fandom of the originals. So take this review with a grain of salt.

Beautifully derived, but feeling contrived, and ultimately deprived! 6/10
Okay, gave a better try at reading this, I'm drunk and my stupid cat chewed threw the adapter of my new laptop, so I'm phone bound.

The whole JLC storyline was ridiculous. Especially when it comes to the house and his arrival. Oh shit, he's here and we finally put the lights on him, let me duck behind the door and think about it .I know they reversed the meaning behind the basement, but still, so dumb