• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Horror Movies

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really hit me hard......shortly after my mom passed on Feb 21, 2017.....I found out about WLK's battle.....used to PM about his betting and we'd eventually talk about his fight.....PM'ed him on Nov 27 and 3 weeks later he got his wings.....crazy, just crazy.
Very sad. Fuck cancer... All I gotta say. My grandmother passed away in April last year after a year of battling myelodysplastic syndrome. She was a backbone of my family. It was very tough for her, and the entire family to watch her go through it. Months & months of blood transfusions, and other shots. First Christmas without her last month was rough.

Did you come over from CBS?

No , espn

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very sad. Fuck cancer... All I gotta say. My grandmother passed away in April last year after a year of battling myelodysplastic syndrome. She was a backbone of my family. It was very tough for her, and the entire family to watch her go through it. Months & months of blood transfusions, and other shots. First Christmas without her last month was rough.

No , espn

Yes, sir.

Wow, I heard ESPN could be rough.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, sir.
Wow, I heard ESPN could be rough.
ESPN sucked ass. Don’t know why I even spent as much time there as I did. I was new to the hole online sports forums stuff so I didn’t know any better. I loved this place the second Misko brought me here about a month before Espn forums shutdown.

Seems like this place is slowly unraveling though. The quality of posters is going downhill.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ESPN sucked ass. Don’t know why I even spent as much time there as I did. I was new to the hole online sports forums stuff so I didn’t know any better. I loved this place the second Misko brought me here about a month before Espn forums shutdown.

Seems like this place is slowly unraveling though. The quality of posters is going downhill.

It's still not bad IMO.

Some of the new Rivals posters are causing issues....but they'll find out the moderators don't tolerate fools long.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd trade a late 1st rounder (the Dallas or Chicago one) for AB in a second.....man, he'd be a great receiver for Carr.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hereditary (2018)

SPOILERS WARNING!

This film wants very badly to be a smart, allegorical horror-film. It is gloriously weird, and at times visually striking... But it never quite makes up its mind over what its about, and so it ends up being mostly just a weird movie for whatever its worth. There is a lot of good material to be found within the plot, and much of it is genuinely creepy & surreal, thanks in large part to excellent cinematography (lighting & sound-design) and fantastic performances. Overall the film plays out as a supernatural Greek tragedy of sorts, in which every member of this tragic family will suffer some sort of cruel fate. The acting was superb and each character script was perfectly harmonized to drive the plot forward. The script excelled at creating character conflicts, which was a common theme in regards to the mother's character arc. Toni Collette was stellar. Her displays of different levels of emotional turmoil were masterful. The cinematics were also quite the highlight to this film. There is a certain pleasure to be found in watching a film which is as stylistically refined as this one is. The imagery makes bold use of lighting & color, mostly saturated with darker tones which draws your eyes towards the light & color in each scene. One filming gimmick that I found oddly intriguing were the mother's dioramas (as seen in the opening sequence of the trailer above). It gave me the sense that the entire film was taking place in a dollhouse, which I think was a perfect allusion to a predestined sequence of events, or fate.

All sounds well and dandy for a horror film, right? Well, at a certain point the film erroneously introduces certain B-movie horror tropes that just seemed too contrasting to the film's original material. And this is where I felt the film struggled to decide its own identity. The film creeps into supernatural Insidious territory, and ultimately devolves into the typical tale of demonic possession derived by cult influence. Sort of like Insidious meets Paranormal Activity. There's a lot going on this film which sort of blurs the original themes & concepts. It's not necessarily bad that the film brings up all these notions without delving into each one, its just frustrating that it never seems to resolve into a satisfying focus. I think it ultimately pulled too much focus away from the mother's character arc, of which it spent the most time building to begin with, which could have been the more satisfying plotline & outcome, and ultimately a more terrifying horror experience.

What I didn't quite grasp were the plot threads about a possible mental illness. The mixture of psychological grief, mental illness & the supernatural were interwoven to produce a lot of questions. I understood how the grief aspects drove the mother into her suggested mental state. But was that supposed to be genetic mental illness that "opened the door to demonic possession"? I think thats the way we were supposed to take it, but still not quite sure. The title of the film itself might be the answer. What fearful things might be genetically or inherently transmitted, such as mental illness and/or the occult. It's just hard to decipher whether its one or the other, or both.

Overall I enjoyed this film. It was unnerving at times, and stylistically superb, but I do feel like it should have kept the original focus of the 1st half of the film. Once the film devolves it struggles to live up to the suspense it built. But it doesn't end up being a bad film.

Style over substance... 7.5/10
@drbuck10

Here's my review (above) if you're interested... Sorry if it's too lengthy!

And here's my review on The Ritual: Horror Movies

drbuck10

Viva La Revolucion
Hoopla Cash
$ 877.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@drbuck10

Here's my review (above) if you're interested... Sorry if it's too lengthy!

And here's my review on The Ritual: Horror Movies
I do agree with your Hereditary review for the most part.
I wish they would have avoided going the demonic cult route but there were some stellar scenes still that were very unnerving in the 2nd half, i.e. the mother sawing her own head off with piano wire
The 1st half is a much better portion of the movie than the 2nd but overall I think I enjoyed it more than you had as I would say it was more of an 8.5-9/10 type of film for me. Mostly because the direction and cinematography of the film reminded me of a lot of 70s Italian horror films

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
went to start suspiria the other day, but don't know if it's going to be for me or I need to wait for a different copy. only got 2 minutes into it, but couldn't understand what the hell they were saying. don't know if it was broken English or they would switch between german and English. remember the trailers looking drab as well. I appreciate wanting to go a different direction in a remake and not just doing the same thing, but loved the colors in the original. will probably get around to checking it out this weekend.

UVA_Guy81

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.65
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched Hellfest last night. Was disappointed with everything. With the amusement park setting, I figured that there could've been many fun kills but only one was decent. I really didn't care about the characters at all. The killer didn't interest me but I did like the mask.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
went to start suspiria the other day, but don't know if it's going to be for me or I need to wait for a different copy. only got 2 minutes into it, but couldn't understand what the hell they were saying. don't know if it was broken English or they would switch between german and English. remember the trailers looking drab as well. I appreciate wanting to go a different direction in a remake and not just doing the same thing, but loved the colors in the original. will probably get around to checking it out this weekend.
and it was as disappointing as i thought it'd be. really hope this guy isn't planning on doing the entire three mothers. and of course a few minutes ago i just saw this

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unfriended: Dark Web (2018)

This sequel paints a much more sadistic picture than its predecessor's slasher style. But it gave it a much more realistic feel which I thought made it better. The human trafficking that goes on is a very real, and ever-present danger in the real world. It's a lot closer to home than you might think. Educate yourself, and then try to tell me different. So in that realistic sense this movie is terrifying, even though the product on the screen doesn't necessarily deliver the same feeling.

The plot was entertaining & interesting, but some of the acting & character stupidity was bothersome. In candid, 1st-person style filming you would expect better portrayal of human psychology & behavior. I do have to admit the found-footage genre has taken massive steps forward over the years. However these films still aren't perfect, mainly because the actors themselves have trouble being candid. This one suffers from that exact problem. The actors did well enough to keep the viewer enthralled, but the character relationships were wooden and it made it hard to feel empathy or any sort of connection. Essentially you don't care whether they live or die which kills the suspense. It is almost impossible to establish background for characters in these types of films, so you have to rely solely on behavior to establish connection. And a cast of sub-par actors isn't going to deliver on that goal. At least it wasn't cast with teenagers again! But this film also has a fairly weak script that doesn't do the actors any favors. Some of the scenarios were a tad on the implausible side.

Overall its a decent found-footage film. For those of you that like the genre, or the "what would I do" type of horror film, this is worth the watch. But if inside you say to yourself "why would he do that?", "only an idiot would do that", and "that makes no sense" then you're going to feel like this was a waste of time.

More realistic feel to this sequel, but still has its problems... 6.5/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell House LLC (2015)

This was a very simple, yet half-way effective found-footage horror film. Often times these films tend to abuse the 1st-person nature of the filming style to create jump scares, but this film does very little of that. Rather it uses props, masked figures & lighting as primary scare methods, and to good effect too. There isn't much originality to the story, but they make good use of what they have. The premise has been done before on some level: a haunted house setup at a real haunted house. The acting was passable, and the story could have benefited from more interesting or engaging character work. The climax was this film's downfall IMO. WTF happened in the basement? You'll never know. They don't give us any explanation. The first half of the film built up a great supernatural element, then suddenly we get hooded figures that apparently go on a slaughter-fest, and boom... Story over. Felt as if they ran out of budget for filming about 3/4's through the film and gave us a cop-out sort of ending. And in hindsight, I'm pretty sure they only had about 30 minutes worth of film footage, unfortunately. A lot of footage was reused at different points in an amateur Tarantino-effect, plus they added some bogus interviews that didn't add anything special but simply boosted the run time. It was disappointing since I really liked the first half of the film. Maybe with a bigger budget they could have delivered a better ending, but we'll never know. The resolution at the ending was clever though.

Decent effort, but lacks budget... 6/10

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I want to see this.

Damnnnnn dude that looks legit! Never heard of it, but definitely vaulting that to the top of my must-see films

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
is this the only social media site you're on?
This is social media? This is the only online forum that I belong to, if that's what you're talkin about. I do reviews on IMDB too.

I used to be on facebook but got rid of it.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is social media? This is the only online forum that I belong to, if that's what you're talkin about. I do reviews on IMDB too.

I used to be on facebook but got rid of it.
Maybe it was just twitter or something on cable i watched, but the trailer for Us was fairly big from what I can recall.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it was just twitter or something on cable i watched, but the trailer for Us was fairly big from what I can recall.
Don't have cable or Twitter, but I do check in on lots of twitter feeds for sports news.

I'd like to be a part of a horror forum, but just haven't found any good ones yet. The few that I did try out ended up being pretty shitty and not very involved. Most were just interested in gore & tits.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't have cable or Twitter, but I do check in on lots of twitter feeds for sports news.

I'd like to be a part of a horror forum, but just haven't found any good ones yet. The few that I did try out ended up being pretty shitty and not very involved. Most were just interested in gore & tits.
alright, feel like you're calling us out here. I try not to see what i see in the previews or upcoming movies myself, as i prefer to come into a movie with no preconceived notions (be it horror or otherwise), if per chance i come across a horror movie i'll do better to mention it here. granted even if i watch one i hate to give a review, meh, we'll work on it.