• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Historically worse offender of cupcake sched

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, point taken...the list needs better parameters...maybe teams with 2 8 win or better seasons in the last decade...or team with the best record and worst OOC schedule...no, lol that might be Bama after a few more winning seasons.

For sure. It's hardly worth arguing without better definition. As is if we were to use only teams with 2+ 8 win seasons in the decade the worst offenders would all 3 be from the ACC. GT, VT and Clemson. However even thats just going without breaking down each season, so it might be flawed. I think it would probably prove to be correct though.

Picking Wake Forest is a little bit like throwing Vandy under the bus though. Can you blame them or most AAC teams for that matter. It makes it difficult to recruit players/fans/money if you keep going 0-12. Although I've got to admit 36 is pretty impressive, pretty much one every year since '78. On a personal note I'm ok with picking Wake Forest as #1 worst offender...I was a freshman fullback on one of those payday teams they brought in during that stretch in the late 80's...we lost.

haha no I can't blame them too much really, it's only a statistical fact of the era. This goes to another argument of some teams just don't deserve to be in an aq conference or maybe not even the FBS, but thats just a whole other mess that will likely never get changed. Most aq conferences have at least one of those teams, some more guilty of flat out suckage than others.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure. It's hardly worth arguing without better definition. As is if we were to use only teams with 2+ 8 win seasons in the decade the worst offenders would all 3 be from the ACC. GT, VT and Clemson. However even thats just going without breaking down each season, so it might be flawed. I think it would probably prove to be correct though.

haha no I can't blame them too much really, it's only a statistical fact of the era. This goes to another argument of some teams just don't deserve to be in an aq conference or maybe not even the FBS, but thats just a whole other mess that will likely never get changed. Most aq conferences have at least one of those teams, some more guilty of flat out suckage than others.

Lest we not forget that these conferences aren't just about football. Kentucky might be a pushover in football, but it is a hoops powerhouse. Same for Duke in ACC. There are loads of other examples, but I think you get the gist.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I welcome a 9 game conference schedule...of course I would welcome A&M and Missouri going back to the Big 12 too...I'm just getting to the point of tolerating USC and Arkansas...I'm a bit set in my ways, lol.

One question for the group though...Do you think eliminating these FCS teams from the schedules leads to the growth of 2nd tier FBS conferences...it seems like a lot of these FCS teams that get scheduled are trying to make the jump to FBS...does this hinder that? or accelerate it? I mean, Conf-USA is already 16 teams. Do teams like South Dakota St, Towson, Georgia Southern and Eastern Washington make the jump sooner now or does this make it harder for them.

Georgia Southern will be FBS next year. This is their 1st year of transition.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lol, can't have that, we need Vandy to boost our academics and Kentucky so people don't think we are a football only conference.

Not sure what Wake Forest Does for the ACC...other than give Duke, North Carolina and NC State a road game they can car pool to, lol.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Georgia Southern will be FBS next year. This is their 1st year of transition.

Yeah, same with Appy St. but do you think this happens more often over the next few years, or less with AQ teams eliminated FCS from their diet.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lest we not forget that these conferences aren't just about football. Kentucky might be a pushover in football, but it is a hoops powerhouse. Same for Duke in ACC. There are loads of other examples, but I think you get the gist.

True Tony. As bad as KY football is (in comparison to their hoops), how much money do they make in comparison to the basketball team?

Even in UWs down years the football program has always been the cash cow. Then again we were never a powerhouse in basketball. So maybe it's different in the BB power schools. I really don't know.

Sometimes as a football fan it's easy to get locked into a football mindset and say screw the rest of the programs!

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True Tony. As bad as KY football is (in comparison to their hoops), how much money do they make in comparison to the basketball team?

Even in UWs down years the football program has always been the cash cow. Then again we were never a powerhouse in basketball. So maybe it's different in the BB power schools. I really don't know.

Sometimes as a football fan it's easy to get locked into a football mindset and say screw the rest of the programs!

Interesting excerpt from a Kentucky Kernel article:

The 2012-13 athletic budget approved in the summer by the UK Board of Trustees shows that football is slated to produce $27.6 million in revenue while spending $9.5 million — for a profit of $18.1 million.

By comparison, men’s basketball, even coming off a national championship, is projected to produce $20.8 million in revenue, while spending $12.6 million — for an $8.2 million profit.

Those are the only two profitable programs for the university. The other 20 sports lose a combined $11.6 million, according to the 2012-13 budget.

So, I guess the answer is no, it isn't different for BB power schools. Although I would be curious to know how many MAC, Conf-USA, MWC and Sun Belt Football and Athletic Programs are profitable...although I suspect that many of them would argue there is still a net gain for the University even if their athletic program loses money.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course, football will always make more than hoops, but it is in the best interest for schools to make money at both. Here is a bit of info on Kentucky..............................

The 2012-13 athletic budget approved in the summer by the UK Board of Trustees shows that football is slated to produce $27.6 million in revenue while spending $9.5 million — for a profit of $18.1 million.
By comparison, men’s basketball, even coming off a national championship, is projected to produce $20.8 million in revenue, while spending $12.6 million — for an $8.2 million profit.
Those are the only two profitable programs for the university. The other 20 sports lose a combined $11.6 million, according to the 2012-13 budget.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, football will always make more than hoops, but it is in the best interest for schools to make money at both. Here is a bit of info on Kentucky..............................

Lol, either great minds think alike or fools seldom differ....

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I welcome a 9 game conference schedule...of course I would welcome A&M and Missouri going back to the Big 12 too...I'm just getting to the point of tolerating USC and Arkansas...I'm a bit set in my ways, lol.
It happens. I kinda miss the Big 12 but it needs Nebraska and Colorado. Money changed everything. Arkansas is the only team in the SEC that I hate and we never play them in football

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think everyone would agree that eliminating fcs scheduling and everyone going to a 9 game conference schedule would be in the best interest of all.

The SEC is talking about going to a 9 game conference schedule, the B1G is eliminating fcs scheduling soon. Both moves should be applauded.

We have a half assed playoff around the corner.

Things are getting better, not worse in regards to this topic.

:suds:

indeed

:yahoo:

bocomo007

Just some guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But just in case.....it's obvious that the SEC's OOC schedule has impacted their ability to prove itself as the premier conference right now. However, I think many CFB fans would like to see the SEC get out their and schedule some OOC regular season games against teams like ND, Big Ten, Pac12, etc.

we've played oregon, oregon state, arizona state, washington from the PAC
haven't played ND since we stunk in the mid 90s or so
playing wisconsin to start next season

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting excerpt from a Kentucky Kernel article:

So, I guess the answer is no, it isn't different for BB power schools. Although I would be curious to know how many MAC, Conf-USA, MWC and Sun Belt Football and Athletic Programs are profitable...although I suspect that many of them would argue there is still a net gain for the University even if their athletic program loses money.

Nice. Thanks for that. Going back to what brought this up, I'm not one of those arguing for that to happen. The historically bad football programs getting axed from the FBS, Ive just seen the argument made more than once. It's a pipe dream really. The logistics just arent there. With all of the revenue sharing etc.

If there were a way though it would be money driven and when push comes to shove it looks like even the hoops powerhouse programs take a backseat to football when it comes to earnings. At least in Kentucky's case.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in recent years Oregon has played.

LSU
Tennessee (2)
Virginia
Purdue (2)
Miss State
Boise State (2)
Michigan (2)

You are joking, right?

For your information

Since 1990 (23 years) IN OOC NON BOWL GAMES
ORE has played 73 teams, 30 teams with winning records, 20 Major teams, 14 AP-ranked teams, 6 AP-top-10 teams and 9 FCS teams
UF has played 80 Major teams, 43 teams with winning records, 24 AP-ranked teams, 14 AP-top-10 teams, and 10 FCS teams.
In AWAY OOC games
ORE has played 21 total games, 9 teams with winning records, 9 majors, 6 AP-ranked teams, 3 AP-top-10 teams.
UF has played 14 total games, 13 teams with winning records, 14 Majors, 13 AP-ranked teams, and 8 AP-top-10 teams (the only unranked opponent was 7-6 FSU but one win was against FCS).

So let's recap, since 1990 Oregon has played 73 OOC games yet in that time managed to play only 14 AP ranked teams while UF has played 13 AP ranked teams AWAY in that same time frame. Since 1990 Oregon has played 73 OOC games yet in that time managed to play only 6 AP top 10 ranked teams while UF has played 8 AP top 10 ranked teams AWAY in that same time frame.

IF YOUR MEMORY ISN'T THAT GOOD
Since 1998 (15 years) IN OOC NON BOWL GAMES
ORE has played 47 teams, 19 teams with winning records, 15 Major teams, 11 AP-ranked teams, 5 AP-top-10 teams and 6 FCS teams
UF has played 54 Major teams, 29 teams with winning records, 19 AP-ranked teams, 6 AP-top-10 teams, and 8 FCS teams.
In AWAY OOC games
ORE has played 13 total games, 6 teams with winning records, 7 majors, 6 AP-ranked teams, 3 AP-top-10 teams.
UF has played 9 total games, 8 teams with winning records, 9 Majors, 8 AP-ranked teams, and 4 AP-top-10 teams (the only unranked opponent was 7-6 FSU but one win was against FCS).

JUST IN CASE IF YOUR MEMORY ONLY GOES BACK 5 SEASONS
Since 2008 (5 years) IN OOC NON BOWL GAMES
ORE has played 15 teams, 7 teams with winning records, 4 Major teams, 4 AP-ranked teams, 2 AP-top-10 teams and 3 FCS teams
UF has played 20 Major teams, 11 teams with winning records, 7 AP-ranked teams, 1 AP-top-10 teams, and 5 FCS teams.
In AWAY OOC games
ORE has played 3 total games, 1 team with winning record, 2 majors, 1 AP-ranked team, 1 AP-top-10 team.
UF has played 3 total games, 3 teams with winning records, 3 Majors, 3 AP-ranked teams, and 1 AP-top-10 team.

You want to talk about "cupcake schedules", then you need to begin with Oregon before you bring in Florida!

UF doesn't travel?

Since 1990 Oregon has played 60 AP ranked teams in NON_BOWL GAMES (27 home, 32 away and 1 neutral). UF has played 64 AP ranked teams OUTSIDE of Gainesville (39 away and 25 neutral).

We've had this discussion before. Since 1990 in NON-Bowl games, UF has played 42 AP ranked teams that were played outside of Gainesville (away and neutral sites) but were within 350 miles of Gainesville while Oregon has played only 12 AP ranked teams that were within 350 of Eugene. In fact OU has played only 33 AP ranked teams ANYWHERE outside of Autzen Stadium while UF has played 33 AP ranked teams within 300 miles of Gainesville (FYI Miami is 330 miles from Gainesville).

UF travels but UF isn't in BFE and therefore doesn't have to travel FAR to play quality opponents. It is a luxury that OU doesn't have.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, football will always make more than hoops

Well that's not accurate. Using the link you provided Louisville hoops makes more than Louisville pigskin.

They even make more than every football program in the old BE conference, pac12 and ACC!

Chalk it up to exceptions for every rule I suppose.

That's pretty impressive though.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to add Purdue on here and Tennessee...Purdue finished 4-8 and 5-7 yet you beat them by a combined 8 points...not sure I would want to remember those. And last year's Tennessee team won 1 SEC game...against Auburn the team that won none...

or 2003 Miss State...another 1 win SEC team that finished 2-10

or 2007 Michigan...wasn't that the team Appalachian St beat

Again...I stand by my assertion that Florida St is better than all but 2 of Oregon's OOC opponents in the last decade.

Little word of advice...when you are standing in a hole, your best bet is to quit digging.

Dude, don't stop him!! OD does his best digging when he's standing in a hole!!

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure you don't have to, but you should. Now that we have your old Asst AD as our AD, I hope he does wussify our OOC like that.

You do realize that it's actually fun for the fans to travel to away games at locations outside of your state? It is.

He actually will. Our Assoc AD was a guest speaker yesterday in class and pretty much said their goal is to schedule easy opponents to get us to the NC from now on. So after Clemson next yr its pretty much FCS/Sun Belt teams

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually will. Our Assoc AD was a guest speaker yesterday in class and pretty much said their goal is to schedule easy opponents to get us to the NC from now on. So after Clemson next yr its pretty much FCS/Sun Belt teams
I meant to say "hope he doesn't" as you picked up on. That is really too bad. At this point, I'd be willing to drop GaTech to rotate an AQ team each year.