• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Historically worse offender of cupcake sched

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He actually will. Our Assoc AD was a guest speaker yesterday in class and pretty much said their goal is to schedule easy opponents to get us to the NC from now on. So after Clemson next yr its pretty much FCS/Sun Belt teams

With the emphasis on the upcoming playoff supposedly placed on winning a conference championship, and SOS this seems like a poor strategy.

ellupo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are joking, right?

For your information

Since 1990 (23 years) IN OOC NON BOWL GAMES
ORE has played 73 teams, 30 teams with winning records, 20 Major teams, 14 AP-ranked teams, 6 AP-top-10 teams and 9 FCS teams
UF has played 80 Major teams, 43 teams with winning records, 24 AP-ranked teams, 14 AP-top-10 teams, and 10 FCS teams.
In AWAY OOC games
ORE has played 21 total games, 9 teams with winning records, 9 majors, 6 AP-ranked teams, 3 AP-top-10 teams.
UF has played 14 total games, 13 teams with winning records, 14 Majors, 13 AP-ranked teams, and 8 AP-top-10 teams (the only unranked opponent was 7-6 FSU but one win was against FCS).

So let's recap, since 1990 Oregon has played 73 OOC games yet in that time managed to play only 14 AP ranked teams while UF has played 13 AP ranked teams AWAY in that same time frame. Since 1990 Oregon has played 73 OOC games yet in that time managed to play only 6 AP top 10 ranked teams while UF has played 8 AP top 10 ranked teams AWAY in that same time frame.

IF YOUR MEMORY ISN'T THAT GOOD
Since 1998 (15 years) IN OOC NON BOWL GAMES
ORE has played 47 teams, 19 teams with winning records, 15 Major teams, 11 AP-ranked teams, 5 AP-top-10 teams and 6 FCS teams
UF has played 54 Major teams, 29 teams with winning records, 19 AP-ranked teams, 6 AP-top-10 teams, and 8 FCS teams.
In AWAY OOC games
ORE has played 13 total games, 6 teams with winning records, 7 majors, 6 AP-ranked teams, 3 AP-top-10 teams.
UF has played 9 total games, 8 teams with winning records, 9 Majors, 8 AP-ranked teams, and 4 AP-top-10 teams (the only unranked opponent was 7-6 FSU but one win was against FCS).

JUST IN CASE IF YOUR MEMORY ONLY GOES BACK 5 SEASONS
Since 2008 (5 years) IN OOC NON BOWL GAMES
ORE has played 15 teams, 7 teams with winning records, 4 Major teams, 4 AP-ranked teams, 2 AP-top-10 teams and 3 FCS teams
UF has played 20 Major teams, 11 teams with winning records, 7 AP-ranked teams, 1 AP-top-10 teams, and 5 FCS teams.
In AWAY OOC games
ORE has played 3 total games, 1 team with winning record, 2 majors, 1 AP-ranked team, 1 AP-top-10 team.
UF has played 3 total games, 3 teams with winning records, 3 Majors, 3 AP-ranked teams, and 1 AP-top-10 team.

You want to talk about "cupcake schedules", then you need to begin with Oregon before you bring in Florida!

UF doesn't travel?

Since 1990 Oregon has played 60 AP ranked teams in NON_BOWL GAMES (27 home, 32 away and 1 neutral). UF has played 64 AP ranked teams OUTSIDE of Gainesville (39 away and 25 neutral).

We've had this discussion before. Since 1990 in NON-Bowl games, UF has played 42 AP ranked teams that were played outside of Gainesville (away and neutral sites) but were within 350 miles of Gainesville while Oregon has played only 12 AP ranked teams that were within 350 of Eugene. In fact OU has played only 33 AP ranked teams ANYWHERE outside of Autzen Stadium while UF has played 33 AP ranked teams within 300 miles of Gainesville (FYI Miami is 330 miles from Gainesville).

UF travels but UF isn't in BFE and therefore doesn't have to travel FAR to play quality opponents. It is a luxury that OU doesn't have.

Just curious how many were outside the state of FL and how many did FL have control over? Like were not dictated by the SEC.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the emphasis on the upcoming playoff supposedly placed on winning a conference championship, and SOS this seems like a poor strategy.

Have you seen the shit Oregon scheduled this summer??

4 fcs schools over 4 years....

2014 S. Dakota
2015 Eastern Washington and fbs noob Georgia State
2016 UC Davis
2017 Southern Utah

all scheduled over the summer.....

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would think so too, but playing teams in the SEC usually bumps up your SOS more than teams in the Pac/Big though. Not saying it's that big of a difference but that's the advantage of playing in the SEC so overall I think it will balance out

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I meant to say "hope he doesn't" as you picked up on. That is really too bad. At this point, I'd be willing to drop GaTech to rotate an AQ team each year.

yeah I'm tired of Tech. I wish our games with Oregon would still happen but it made sense to cancel when we got the new AD. That tends to happen a lot

michaeljordan_fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you seen the shit Oregon scheduled this summer??

4 fcs schools over 4 years....

2014 S. Dakota
2015 Eastern Washington and fbs noob Georgia State
2016 UC Davis
2017 Southern Utah

all scheduled over the summer.....

And MSU. And texasA&M. And Ohio State. Plus Oregon has an extra game vs. a BCS conference opponent that the SEC doesn't.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But just in case.....it's obvious that the SEC's OOC schedule has impacted their ability to prove itself as the premier conference right now. However, I think many CFB fans would like to see the SEC get out their and schedule some OOC regular season games against teams like ND, Big Ten, Pac12, etc.

So, are you suggesting that SEC teams should just volunteer, with a smile on their face, to make their overall schedules even more tougher than the rest of you?

Still waiting...........................

Can someone else attempt to give a reasonable answer to this question?

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The simple answer is 'YES', the poster would prefer that SEC teams not schedule FCS teams and schedule as many AQ in their overall schedule as possible.

The long answer is that SEC teams have implemented a formula which succeeds. Be happy and enjoy it. Examining and discussing that successful formula tends to upset some posters

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The simple answer is 'YES', the poster would prefer that SEC teams not schedule FCS teams and schedule as many AQ in their overall schedule as possible.

The long answer is that SEC teams have implemented a formula which succeeds. Be happy and enjoy it. Examining and discussing that successful formula tends to upset some posters

What difference does it make if we play an FCS team, if we still play a tougher schedule than yours?

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And MSU. And texasA&M. And Ohio State. Plus Oregon has an extra game vs. a BCS conference opponent that the SEC doesn't.

Yes, I realize all of this. Just pointing out that it is going to be the norm for schools not named the B1G to schedule cupcake fcs teams.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
a lot of sec teams last few years...yeah its getting better with these kick off classics...look at Alabama this year sure they played Virginia tech but they also played...Colorado st, they will play Chattanooga and also Georgia st...sure Georgia st moved up from fcs...but they also have played 3 fcs opponents and lost them all. I would like to see some of these cupcake matchups disappear all together... but with the money factor its not likely...with there being a playoff starting next season...I would like to see some teams left out that schedule heavily with fcs sunbelt etc...

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What difference does it make if we play an FCS team, if we still play a tougher schedule than yours?

Is it really a tougher schedule?

Which schedule is tougher? A plays 9 bowl teams from the previous season, B plays 6 prior season bowl teams. Which team will play the tougher schedule?

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I was cherry picking, why did Saban feel the need to publicly defend the SEC's schedule???

I think a lot of this is geared for the future...pretty sure it sparked the other comments from stoops I think it was saying they have won the championships but how good are they top to bottom.. also saban had another comment saying that if a team didn't win its championship game or play in game they should still be considered for playoff. so I think a lot of this is geared toward when playoff season starts...

I remember him saying oh you guys don't understand how good our league is... to the non sec fan yeah Alabama and lsu are good...but I think teams like south Carolina, Georgia, florida...just capitalize on the weak sec teams...Kentucky ole miss, Arkansas, Tennessee, auburn, miss st, Vanderbilt, those schools just aren't very good.

TonyTheGator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Which schedule is tougher? A plays 9 bowl teams from the previous season, B plays 6 prior season bowl teams. Which team will play the tougher schedule?

Sure. Right. Nice copout. Move along.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

that's the debate of non sec fans. some of these rankings are just undeserved...I don't think Georgia is the number 9 team in country after what I saw yesterday vs north texas...not sure about south Carolina... currently Stanford is slated to play 5 ranked teams....not so sure it gets tougher than that...but im sure sec fans question some of the pac 12 rankings just as I question teams like ole miss, florida etc

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's the debate of non sec fans. some of these rankings are just undeserved...I don't think Georgia is the number 9 team in country after what I saw yesterday vs north texas...not sure about south Carolina... currently Stanford is slated to play 5 ranked teams....not so sure it gets tougher than that...but im sure sec fans question some of the pac 12 rankings just as I question teams like ole miss, florida etc

It is funny, how their thinking works. It's Catch 22.