• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Historically worse offender of cupcake sched

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
99%, really. I have never written anything like that. I go by facts and IIRC last season's 91% FBS winning percentage is very close to the all-time average, which is something like 90%.

And your statement about 3 solid AQ's in an OOC schedule is not based on prior statements by me or Codaxx. I'll bet you are making a feeble attempt at trolling. Are you under the influence, because your game is below par for you?

Really...Do you even know what you are chiming in on...that's exactly what was in Codaxx post...since you chimed in about SEC logic, I assumed you were in agreement, apparently you're not even sure what he said, so since you can't follow along I will leave you out of the discussion.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah ... UGa only had 640 yards of total offense, gave up 7 yards rushing, and held North Texas offense to 7 points in a game that if you watched it was never in doubt. 20% of North Texas total offense was picked up in the last 3.5 minutes against our 3rd team and freshman. Mind you, this was probably the best of the mid-majors to get beaten down yesterday, at least from current stats.

And, the idea that you rate a team based on one game against a cupcake makes no sense.

I don't know how your trying to defend a game being tied in the 3rd quarter...mid major? lol north texas would lose to almost every team in big 12, pac 12 big 10...wac, sec, mountain west, acc....

seems to me it was in doubt in 3rd quarter. now your hyping up north texas like they are some best of the rest of teams lol....look at what your rival lsu did to them last year...really Georgia has a habit of playing poorly for much of game. last year I think it was buffalo that had them in a game till 2nd half.. my point is they didn't look like a top 10 team. Baylor, Oregon, Clemson would have beat them by 50 points

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point was they are exactly even...So, yes while I agree that FCS teams don't beat upper echelon FBS teams at that rate...I also hold firm that there is no Team B in your scenario, as there are no FBS, teams upper echelon or not, that play 3 solid AQ's in which they are only a 7 pt favorite.
-
basically, you are making a hard right turn when confronted with a logical argument. I was not arguing about any particular schedule, simply showing that it is far more complex and highlighting a common misperception among sports fans.

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our whole SOS is the only thing that matters.. and one of these days the rest of you weak ass conferences will understand that.. once again.. we don't play real tough OOC because our IC is stronger then yours.. and you all have two choices.. get over it ... or not.. jimmies will be rustled now.

let me know when auburn, Arkansas, ole miss, miss st, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri are "tough" games...then teams like florida, Georgia, south Carolina get beat by teams that must be tougher than half your conference .....like I said earlier....stanfords current schedule seems tough to beat even for sec teams

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious how many were outside the state of FL and how many did FL have control over? Like were not dictated by the SEC.

What difference does that make?

IN REGULAR season games in the past 70 seasons OSU has played 46 AWAY OOC games. In that span OSU has played exactly 12 AP ranked opponents and 6 AP top 10 opponents.

Over that same span UF has played 89 OOC AWAY games. In that span UF has played 27 AP ranked opponents and 16 Top 10 teams.

Between 1990-2012 UF has played OOC AWAY games against Miami and FSU IN THE STATE of Florida 13 times. In those games Miami and FSU were AP ranked 12 times with 8 of them in the top 10.

So, UF has played more OOC AWAY top 10 teams and the same number of ranked teams just AGAINST FSU and MIAMI over the past 23 season than OSU has played ANYWHERE over the past 70 seasons.

IF you want to include AWAY and Neutral site games (for example, UF has played one-and-done games vs NC State in Tampa and Rice in Miami), then UF has played 31 AP ranked teams and 16 AP top 10 teams over the past 70 seasons. OSU has played 14 AP ranked teams and 7 AP top 10.

Everyone can see why you want UF to leave the state of Florida because Miami is 330 mile away and moving games outside of 350 miles eliminates many of UF tough games but barely affects OSU.

In games inside of 350 miles (i.e., IN the state of Florida) in OOC games UF has played 24 AP ranked teams and 13 AP top 10 teams while inside 350 miles of Columbus, OSU has played 2 Ap ranked teams and 1 AP top 10 team. So that leaves for games OUTSIDE of 350 miles, UF has played 7 AP ranked teams and 3 AP top 10 teams while OSU has played 12 AP ranked teams and 6 AP top 10 teams.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know how your trying to defend a game being tied in the 3rd quarter...mid major? lol north texas would lose to almost every team in big 12, pac 12 big 10...wac, sec, mountain west, acc....

seems to me it was in doubt in 3rd quarter. now your hyping up north texas like they are some best of the rest of teams lol....look at what your rival lsu did to them last year...really Georgia has a habit of playing poorly for much of game. last year I think it was buffalo that had them in a game till 2nd half.. my point is they didn't look like a top 10 team. Baylor, Oregon, Clemson would have beat them by 50 points

I watched the whole game. It wasn't ever in doubt. You can't just look at the scoreboard and think this was a close game. And don't even tell me you watched it if you think it as in doubt in the 3rd quarter.

North Texas scored 2 TDs on a 99 kickoff return and a blocked punt to start the 3rd quarter. Other than that they had nothing ... 13 first downs, 7 yards rushing. UGa had 640 total yards, 26 first downs, etc. UGa won 45 - 21. There is nothing here that says they aren't a top 10 team, especially after the previous 2 games.

As for North Texas getting beat by all the other teams, add UGa to the list that curb-stomped them, unless 45-21 isn't a curb-stomping in your mind.

As for North Texas, I fully recognize they are cupcake. But, they aren't Bethune Cookman or some other team in the bottom 120, and we still beat them by 24 even with 2 lousy special team plays.

Rip our special teams ... you'll have to get in line. But that was a fine cupcake win aside from the fact we didn't get our scrubs in as much as I would have liked.

charlie42s

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really...Do you even know what you are chiming in on...that's exactly what was in Codaxx post...since you chimed in about SEC logic, I assumed you were in agreement, apparently you're not even sure what he said, so since you can't follow along I will leave you out of the discussion.

If you were going to leave me out of the discussion, you wouldn't have directed a post towards me.
Like I wrote earlier, SEC logic.

ugafan6612

Oh I really like boobs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Please stop acting like you know what you're talking about. You don't watch our team(UGA) so it doesn't really make sense for you to act like UGA isn't a top 10 team. Mark Richt doesn't blow out opponents. He doesn't care about beating crap teams by only 20 points or so...we prepare for the big games on our schedule(LSU,USC,UF) Games at teh beginning of the yr like this don't matter anyways. UGA is not one of the best teams in the nation but we still have a shot at the NCG. Most times the best team doesn't go to the NCG. It's how we play against good opponents which is what matters

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
It is not that simple. Take 2 different OOC schedules

Team A plays 2 FCS teams and a top 10 team. They are a 3 pt dog.

Team B plays 3 solid AQs.. They are a 7 pt fav in each.

Team A actually has a better chance of going undefeated. (41%*99%*99%= 40%)
Team B (.7*.7*.7=34%)

Numbers are based on the fact that 3 pt dog is 41% chance to win and 7 pt fav is 70%. Take a look at money lines and you will see it is correct

This is a red herring.

The numbers you are presenting are for all teams -good or bad that are 3 point dogs or 7 point dogs.

Let's look at it another way. We are talking about the SOS for "Good Teams". For the sake of argument let's look at top 10 teams.

In the BCS era, teams that finished in the AP top 1-10, beat teams that ended in the AP top 11-25 263 out of 320 times or 82.2% of the time. Teams that ended in the AP top 1-10 beat teams AP ranked 11-15 98 out of 2124 times or 79.0%. Teams that ended in the AP top 1-10 beat teams AP ranked 5-15 203 out of 285 times or 71.2%. Thus, for Top 10 teams that means that means in order to play 3 games that they have a 70% chance of winning each game, a team would have to play 3 opponents OOC that end the year in the top 5-15.

That ain't happening! In the entire history of the AP only the 1990 Colorado team has played 3 regular season OOC games against teams ranked in the AP 5-15 (2-0-1).

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Please stop acting like you know what you're talking about. You don't watch our team(UGA) so it doesn't really make sense for you to act like UGA isn't a top 10 team. Mark Richt doesn't blow out opponents. He doesn't care about beating crap teams by only 20 points or so...we prepare for the big games on our schedule(LSU,USC,UF) Games at teh beginning of the yr like this don't matter anyways. UGA is not one of the best teams in the nation but we still have a shot at the NCG. Most times the best team doesn't go to the NCG. It's how we play against good opponents which is what matters

I don't make it a point to watch every uga game no...in my area it happened to be on...and living near UNT for a few years I started to tune it...once I saw Georgia struggling. had that been ucla or Washington it would be see the pac 12 sucks...goes with the territory. your right the best team doesn't always play in championship game.. was Alabama the best last year...best on the field in the championship game...more championships are decided by voters than on the field

trojanfight

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched the whole game. It wasn't ever in doubt. You can't just look at the scoreboard and think this was a close game. And don't even tell me you watched it if you think it as in doubt in the 3rd quarter.

North Texas scored 2 TDs on a 99 kickoff return and a blocked punt to start the 3rd quarter. Other than that they had nothing ... 13 first downs, 7 yards rushing. UGa had 640 total yards, 26 first downs, etc. UGa won 45 - 21. There is nothing here that says they aren't a top 10 team, especially after the previous 2 games.

As for North Texas getting beat by all the other teams, add UGa to the list that curb-stomped them, unless 45-21 isn't a curb-stomping in your mind.

As for North Texas, I fully recognize they are cupcake. But, they aren't Bethune Cookman or some other team in the bottom 120, and we still beat them by 24 even with 2 lousy special team plays.

Rip our special teams ... you'll have to get in line. But that was a fine cupcake win aside from the fact we didn't get our scrubs in as much as I would have liked.

so the next time im watching a game that's tied in the 3rd quarter...if someone has more stats...then its not a game lol sure thing. a fine win? a wins a win I guess...compared to all the other wins of the day wasn't very impressive...could have been Michigan I guess...maybe that's worse...

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let me know when auburn, Arkansas, ole miss, miss st, Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri are "tough" games...then teams like florida, Georgia, south Carolina get beat by teams that must be tougher than half your conference .....like I said earlier....stanfords current schedule seems tough to beat even for sec teams

you're asking a Florida fan if Auburn is a tough game??? :laugh3:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so the next time im watching a game that's tied in the 3rd quarter...if someone has more stats...then its not a game lol sure thing. a fine win? a wins a win I guess...compared to all the other wins of the day wasn't very impressive...could have been Michigan I guess...maybe that's worse...

For you to compare our win to either of Michigan's wins this year shows your college football ignorance.

[x] Ignorance Filter

hatcher3333

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Recently canceled series for Georgia:

Ohio St....because of the Pac12 v B1G agreement
Michigan.... not sure why but it was before the above reason
Louisville....because of BSU and the kick off classic
Oregon....because of the Georgia AD and logistics
Oregon St....a few years ago and can't remember why

boxedlunch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a red herring.

The numbers you are presenting are for all teams -good or bad that are 3 point dogs or 7 point dogs.

Let's look at it another way. We are talking about the SOS for "Good Teams". For the sake of argument let's look at top 10 teams.

In the BCS era, teams that finished in the AP top 1-10, beat teams that ended in the AP top 11-25 263 out of 320 times or 82.2% of the time. Teams that ended in the AP top 1-10 beat teams AP ranked 11-15 98 out of 2124 times or 79.0%. Teams that ended in the AP top 1-10 beat teams AP ranked 5-15 203 out of 285 times or 71.2%. Thus, for Top 10 teams that means that means in order to play 3 games that they have a 70% chance of winning each game, a team would have to play 3 opponents OOC that end the year in the top 5-15.

That ain't happening! In the entire history of the AP only the 1990 Colorado team has played 3 regular season OOC games against teams ranked in the AP 5-15 (2-0-1).

You do get around, Don.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do get around, Don.

On certain boards there are people that refuse to lay off of politics. I come on these boards for fun and relaxation - not so that I can be bombarded with political ramblings. So, I've been forced to move around. This one seems free of that so I think I'll hang around here for a while. What about you?

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
every college football team schedules at least 2 cupcake home games just for revenue purposes... I'm not sure why we're trying to pick on the shortest midget when all of our schools are guilty of feasting on cupcakes for at least 50% of our OOC games (usually closer to 75%)...

BucksFanInGA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
although Ohio State has a decent OOC next year... Not world beater, but decent..

We have:
Navy
Kent State
Va Tech
Cincinnati

We also have a home and home with Oklahoma starting in 2016 IIRC

WB1214

Hoopla Cash
$ 802.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only reason I am still bitter on the UGA vs Oregon thing is cuz I would have loved to see Oregon take on a team of that caliber.

No offense taken I hope.

I really was looking forward to these games. Maybe in a bowl game soon

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cannot fault FLORIDA for playing Florida State and Miami (FL) regularly.

Those are big time opponents and frankly have been a lot of losses for the Gators lately (especially Miami who seems to own them).

It doesn't matter if it is in the same state especially if the state is gigantic in size.

my home state (TEXAS) is bigger than about 10 countries.

My alma mater player Oklahoma as an OOC game for 100 years until 1996. But, the game was in the state of Texas.

I don't see how travelling 200 miles to play arguably the most successful and dominating modern era program was bad scheduling????

Florida probably does need to leave the state once in while, but as long as the games are against good programs like FSU and Miami (FL) it isn't that bad.

Overall, it makes them average schedulers. They are not horrible but not great.