• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Head Coach Possibilities, Discussion

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is the track record of 2nd time around coaches in the NFL? Coughlin won SBs, Shanny won SBs, Carroll won SB, Belecheck won SBs, Kubiak won a SB, Fox got to a SB.

Lets put the band back together,

McDaniels
McCoy
Nolan

Well there are plenty of good stories of coaches that 2nd time around and plenty of bad stories as well.

Just a quick correction...Pete Carroll with the Seahawks is on his 3rd head coaching job in the NFL. In 1994 he was the HC for the Jets for one season. Then of course the Patriots for a few years.

Other teams have had a lot more success with 1st time coaches.

For example if I remember right the last 3 times the Steelers have hired a Head Coach it has been the 1st head coaching job for those players. Well all of them have found huge success and have been with the team over 10 years. Chuck Noll from 1969-1991, Bill Cowher from 1992-2006, and Mike Tomlin from 2007 to now.

I think a 1st time Head Coach can work well if you have a good staff around them and a very strong FO. We don't know the staff they would have around them. WE do know they would have a very strong FO behind them though.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly, if the Broncos interviewed someone with McDaniels' resume, I'd be extremely pleased if they hired him. But of course, McDaniels is persona non grata in Dove Valley, so that ain't happening, even though I think he'd be a great hire without his history in Denver.
For whatever reason, Bill's coaching tree doesn't perform like he does. People used to say our RB's were produced by the system; I feel that way about his assistants.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For whatever reason, Bill's coaching tree doesn't perform like he does. People used to say our RB's were produced by the system; I feel that way about his assistants.

Hard to duplicate what Belichick does which I think his assistants try to. Few coaches can make personnel decisions and run a team like Belichick.

McDaniels has said he made several mistakes in his time with Denver that he will do differently with his next gig. I think one would be letting someone else handle most of the personnel decisions.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hard to duplicate what Belichick does which I think his assistants try to. Few coaches can make personnel decisions and run a team like Belichick.

McDaniels has said he made several mistakes in his time with Denver that he will do differently with his next gig. I think one would be letting someone else handle most of the personnel decisions.

Honestly the Broncos set McDaniels up to fail a bit that first time around. McDaniels did plenty to hang himself as well but giving him all that power over personnel was not smart on the Broncos end. So yes I do think this time would be much different. I do wonder how well Elway and McDaniels could get along though. Heck I wonder the same thing about Elway and Shanahan.

I've actually switched directions and am hoping Vance Joseph becomes our next HC. I just think he is better at balancing lots of different personalities and getting something out of his players.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly the Broncos set McDaniels up to fail a bit that first time around. McDaniels did plenty to hang himself as well but giving him all that power over personnel was not smart on the Broncos end. So yes I do think this time would be much different. I do wonder how well Elway and McDaniels could get along though. Heck I wonder the same thing about Elway and Shanahan.

I've actually switched directions and am hoping Vance Joseph becomes our next HC. I just think he is better at balancing lots of different personalities and getting something out of his players.

Kind of my fear about Elway and a lot of people. I don't think Elway is the type to roll over if people start butting heads with him.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of my fear about Elway and a lot of people. I don't think Elway is the type to roll over if people start butting heads with him.

Right which is why I do think Shanahan would be a tough choice. He has butted heads with others in the past. Just have to see how much he has learned over the last few years and places he has been. I do wonder a bit if his early success really hindered him a bit as a coach. Maybe he got a bit of a big head thinking I've had this success so that proves I know what I am doing and you can't tell me otherwise. This last year with the Falcons I will say I have been impressed with the improvements to Kyle's system that have really taken them to a new level.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vance Joseph is the leading candidate according to local media

Maybe Mike McCoy and Wade Phillips

Last edited:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vance Joseph is the leading candidate according to local media

Which I honestly think is a good thing. He is one of those guys I actually think could be a better HC than Coordinator because of his ability to communicate with all levels of a team. He is a great motivator from what I understand and I just think would be a good fit with this team especially after a guy like Kubiak.

Broncosr0k

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say we bring in Vance Joseph, what do we do with our defensive and offensive coaching staffs?

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Vance wants to go somewhere where the team will be close because "Black coaches do not get a 2nd chance" (Denny Green excluded) Where is Rahim Morris now a days?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Say we bring in Vance Joseph, what do we do with our defensive and offensive coaching staffs?

Well I'm guessing he would keep Wade and the defensive staff. Wade was his coach in Houston and absolutely loves the guy. Looks up to him quite a bit. So with that relationship I think that side of the coaching staff stays and continues to dominate. I don't know what he would do on the offensive side of the ball. Usually new coaches like to go with a veteran at the spot to kind of help with the transition. So Knapp and McCoy makes some sense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess Vance wants to go somewhere where the team will be close because "Black coaches do not get a 2nd chance" (Denny Green excluded) Where is Rahim Morris now a days?

Unfortunately that does seem to be the case and why the Broncos job would definitely look like the best option for him.

CEH

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Local media as of 11:00 MST saying McCoy and Wade.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I keep going back and forth between Vance Joseph and Kyle Shanahan. I'll read a negative article about Shanahan and some of his problems with past players or FO people. Then I just read an article about just how much some of his players loved him and wanted to follow him wherever he went. I read about how he has really grown since Washington and Cleveland days learning from his mistakes.

Atlanta Falcons’ Kyle Shanahan has evolved as a coach | The MMQB with Peter King

Great article on just the path that Shanahan has taken.

Glad Elway is making this decision. Some of the decision could come down to who these two plan on hiring as Coordinators. THat is where I think Vance Joseph could have a leg up.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm squaring up with Vance Joseph as my top choice too.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more and more I read about this, the more I think any of the choices would be good. I like Shanahan because I think he can fix the offense. I like Joseph because he seems to have the best personality of the bunch (which is important for a head coach). I like Toub because he's had incredible success as a special teams coach and it would weaken a division rival.

I think I'll feel pretty good about any of those guys.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more and more I read about this, the more I think any of the choices would be good. I like Shanahan because I think he can fix the offense. I like Joseph because he seems to have the best personality of the bunch (which is important for a head coach). I like Toub because he's had incredible success as a special teams coach and it would weaken a division rival.

I think I'll feel pretty good about any of those guys.

Yeah I think I can get on board with any of them. Really for me some of my biggest questions are around the coaching staffs they bring in. For Shanahan yeah I think he can fix the offense but does he bring in an inferior DC to Wade and weaken the defense? For Joseph who in the world will be his OC? For Toub he has a lot of connections from his time in the league but how does he handle getting a DC and OC?

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Local media as of 11:00 MST saying McCoy and Wade.

Yeah, local media is almost reporting as though it's a done deal here in Denver and that no other option is even close.

Vance Joseph - HC
Mike McCoy - OC
Wade Phillips - DC

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, local media is almost reporting as though it's a done deal here in Denver and that no other option is even close.

Vance Joseph - HC
Mike McCoy - OC
Wade Phillips - DC
I can definitely get on board with that.