• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hank Hughes Gone

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you've got me there. There's a big difference between colleges contacting coaches and coaches seeking out jobs. I don't know what really happened. You sound like you do.
Yeah initially Sean Callahan reported an interview, but it turned out to be a phone call. Later, he was rumored to be in Cleveland for an interview with the Browns, but he was there with Riley visiting Tony Butler. It's all drama for drama's sake.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you can't tell me you don't disagree with my Hughs sentiments.
No, you're dead on. I don't know that it was just the DTs leaving that resulted in him getting fired, there was a myriad of issues. No pass rush, no recruits, current players leaving, etc.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah initially Sean Callahan reported an interview, but it turned out to be a phone call. Later, he was rumored to be in Cleveland for an interview with the Browns, but he was there with Riley visiting Tony Butler. It's all drama for drama's sake.

Ah. Cash for trash. (quoting Simpson vs. the people) lol

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ah. Cash for trash. (quoting Simpson vs. the people) lol
Gotta get clicks. Despite the struggles this year, I don't think Stewart is even close to the hot seat. Lack of a pass rush combined with adjusting to a new scheme that really puts a lot of pressure on the corners makes year 1 not seem like a major concern.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gotta get clicks. Despite the struggles this year, I don't think Stewart is even close to the hot seat. Lack of a pass rush combined with adjusting to a new scheme that really puts a lot of pressure on the corners makes year 1 not seem like a major concern.

I guess I agree. but I can't count all of my fingers how many times I thought "god damnit, Kalu is out of position again."

The excuse from Banker the whole year was "they're just not catching on to MY system." And how they thought the system was so simple, but they didn't understand how many intricacies there were despite how complicated Pelini's system supposedly was.

I know I'm getting a bit long winded, but this situation warrants it.

If DB talent and/or technique/playbook understanding was the problem, a FULL YEAR should show SOME improvement.

The bottom line: If we're not in (at the very least) the top 25 in pass defense, then Brian Stewart can get the Hank Hughs treatment.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I agree. but I can't count all of my fingers how many times I thought "god damnit, Kalu is out of position again."

The excuse from Banker the whole year was "they're just not catching on to MY system." And how they thought the system was so simple, but they didn't understand how many intricacies there were despite how complicated Pelini's system supposedly was.

I know I'm getting a bit long winded, but this situation warrants it.

If DB talent and/or technique/playbook understanding was the problem, a FULL YEAR should show SOME improvement.

The bottom line: If we're not in (at the very least) the top 25 in pass defense, then Brian Stewart can get the Hank Hughs treatment.
You must have completely erased the first few games from your memory if you don't think they showed any improvement throughout the year. They were quite a bit better at the end. Passing YPG against went from 379.5 YPG in September down to 205 YPG in November. The bowl game ended up being 319 yds against, but they threw it 41 times. The system is simple, it is just drastically different than what these guys have been doing before. They're alone, and they are not used to it. It's give and take, this system can be exposed through the air, but also results in a great rushing defense. Conversely, we could play bracket coverage on the outside, and give up NCAA record-setting numbers to teams that like to run the ball like Wisconsin.

Now I'm not saying they don't need to get better...they certainly do. Just that the situation isn't as dire as many make it out to be.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reason I'm so passionate about it? If we locked it up on the back end, we would have had a double digit win season. They had so much confidence in spring and fall camp is what's sad about it. Then the denial about how bad they were was SAD. Triple digit ranking and they act like they're fucking BOSSES. Guess what? You SUCK.

The acceptance of mediocrity has to change QUICK. I'm tired of "oh, well this is an offensive minded coach, so obviously the defense is going to suffer."

Bullshit. You get paid to coach an entire football team, not just one side of the ball.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reason I'm so passionate about it? If we locked it up on the back end, we would have had a double digit win season. They had so much confidence in spring and fall camp is what's sad about it. Then the denial about how bad they were was SAD. Triple digit ranking and they act like they're fucking BOSSES. Guess what? You SUCK.

The acceptance of mediocrity has to change QUICK. I'm tired of "oh, well this is a defensive minded coach, so obviously the defense is going to suffer."

Bullshit. You get paid to coach an entire football team, not just one side of the ball.
In retrospect, TA made quite a few secondaries feel pretty darn confident during the year, so maybe we jumped the gun with that one a bit.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In retrospect, TA made quite a few secondaries feel pretty darn confident during the year, so maybe we jumped the gun with that one a bit.

True. And also, I meant to say "offensive minded coaches."

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You must have completely erased the first few games from your memory if you don't think they showed any improvement throughout the year. They were quite a bit better at the end. Passing YPG against went from 379.5 YPG in September down to 205 YPG in November. The bowl game ended up being 319 yds against, but they threw it 41 times. The system is simple, it is just drastically different than what these guys have been doing before. They're alone, and they are not used to it. It's give and take, this system can be exposed through the air, but also results in a great rushing defense. Conversely, we could play bracket coverage on the outside, and give up NCAA record-setting numbers to teams that like to run the ball like Wisconsin.

Now I'm not saying they don't need to get better...they certainly do. Just that the situation isn't as dire as many make it out to be.
it's always funny when people throw out the 205ypg in november stat. it was freakin Iowa who only averaged 200 ypg, Rutgers basically without Carroo who only averaged about 220ypg and MSU where we let Cook throw for 90yds over his season average of 240ypg. our stats went down partially because we played teams that weren't as good at passing.

I'm just arguing for arguments sake though, i do think we improved and the bowl game showed it, it still wasn't perfect, but play was a lot better. Rosen got 40yds over his average, but when you stuff a running game to 65yds, that's probably going to happen.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it's always funny when people throw out the 205ypg in november stat. it was freakin Iowa who only averaged 200 ypg, Rutgers basically without Carroo who only averaged about 220ypg and MSU where we let Cook throw for 90yds over his season average of 240ypg. our stats went down partially because we played teams that weren't as good at passing.

I'm just arguing for arguments sake though, i do think we improved and the bowl game showed it, it still wasn't perfect, but play was a lot better. Rosen got 40yds over his average, but when you stuff a running game to 65yds, that's probably going to happen.
Throwing stats out there sounds better than "we just LOOKED better", but that's really the truth. Our coverage looked better as the season went on, and the numbers back that up despite any difference in competition. Probably should also factor in that we didn't have one of our starting safeties for a good chunk of the last two games, not that I think he's particularly good in coverage.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I don't think there's a defense in the country that could have stopped that one 60 yd TD Rosen threw in the bowl. That thing was damn pretty.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got me interested, so I looked it up. Our 4 noncon opponents (including Southern Miss and South Alabama) all averaged over 100 YPG more than their season average.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Because he never played for Nebraska. Everyone knows you can't be a successful coach if you never played for Nebraska.

This is true. Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, Bob Stoops, or quite a few other coaches would be as good as Callahan was here, according to you.