• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hank Hughes Gone

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ok now get some 5 stars in here.

If you watched the video, he couldn't care less how many stars are next to your name. He's a McBride disciple and he's gonna bring a mentality and culture that will weed out the divas.

It will be about effort and intensity. No one will be coddled.

He likely won't bring in the most talent, but they'll be tougher than nails.

Is that a good fit? I don't know. MAYBE he does bring in some big name guys, but they won't get special treatment.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i need to watch the video.

i could certainly see the mentality working with some guys that have a chip on their shoulder. the guys that got rejected by the team they really wanted, maybe thought to be too small or too slow or whatever for the position.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the whole 5 star no star debate. But what if you get a great talent and for the sake of this conversation lets just call them a 5 star player. Now give him to Parrella and our weight room and with Boyd. see what happens

But I don't care as long as I see Blackshirt style play.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it will be a good hire. Maybe not in year one but I bet by year 3 we will see more of a dominating dline.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think his 12 years in the NFL and history with Nebraska is a pretty darn good combo. Plus apparently he has a previous relationship with Mike Riley, so that's just a win, win, win.

The thing I think about a lot is examples of where Riley WANTED to bring in certain players or coaches, but wasn't in the position to do it and was told no.

BEGGED to bring in Tom Brady at USC when he was the OC.

Don't call me crazy, but is POB the Brady he wanted that he finally got?

It's things like this. Gives me hope. Still... Could be a total disaster. Who knows.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With most the concern is recruiting, I'm sure Riley addressed it in the interview, I don't care how many 5 stars we bring in, the current record is zero, the direction Hughes was heading we wouldn't have anyone left to coach. Just have to see how it turns out, DL coach is kind of a big deal

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kids better listen to him. It is all about outworking the guy across from you, next to you and in the weight room. His words in the video are going to bounce off some kids heads, but the ones who really want to make something of themselves could build a solid foundation with what he has to offer. He has the experience, seen every level, also seen a lot of guys fall off once the talent level evens out and work is required. I like the hire.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Parrella is the special kind of coach for Nebraska, he gets it.

1. He is from Nebraska
2. He played at Nebraska
3. He went from walk on to ALL Big 8 to NFL Draft Pick. Obviously, a VERY GOOD work ethic
4. Long NFL career and attended three Super Bowls, I guess he played in them. Very cool.
5. He knows how the weight room can really help you.
6. If he lived in Marquette, Michigan he ain't scared of winter

My only concerns which are like everyone else's
1. No D 1 experience
2. Can he recruit?
3. Can he coach at the D1 level? (Barney Cotton played at Nebraska)

Looking at the NMU DL players, most of them are from Michigan. Parrella did recruit a kid from San Diego though and one from wisconsin. the Pennsylvania DL player was recruited before Parrella.

The NMU defense was not very good. Four out of the last five losses in 2015, NMU had the lead in the 4th quarter, only to lose the game.

Hard to determine anything from the NMU stats, other than the NMU offense was not very good or else the NMU defense was not very good. Just about every game the opponents had more first downs than NMU.

With that being said, I think the Nebraska connection far outweighs my concerns.

I like the hire and my fingers are crossed.

more further musings on my part

Coaches I like: Bray, Stewart, Williams, Parrella, Philipp
Coaches I am on the fence with: Riley, Langsdorf, Cavanaugh, Davis
Coaches I don't like: Banker, Read

Bray, Stewart, and Williams are stars and should get a raise every year. Riley, Langsdorf, Cavanaugh, and Davis have a chance to impress. I am not sure if Banker can get out of my dog house. Banker's defense needs to get in the top 40 next year to move up to on the fence. Read should never ever get another raise, He is overpaid as it is.

PS. Parrella has four sons and a daughter, looks like two son's are in college, so that leaves a potential for three more Huskers.

PSS. Guess who was the running backs coach at the SF 49ers with Jim Harbaugh? Reggie Davis, I bet there are some stories.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand that no D1 experience but I think coaching the line is more about fundamentals technique in leverage than it really is who you played against

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuck yeah Natty on a Platter!!!!!!!!!!

Stool what are we going this year 15-0 ? I think so. Average 52 points a game

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thought this place was gonna be a disaster when I got back here. Guess everyone is on board :lol:

After doing some reading and watching that clip of him talking I have fewer doubts about his ability to recruit once he gets the chance. The major concern for me is the lack of connections with HS coaches from various areas, but that can be remedied with some effort (which I think he has) and some help leveraging the connections of the other guys on staff. From what I'm hearing, we had a chance to get McClure but Riley wanted to go with JP. I also heard he was actually in the running for the job last year before Hughes got hired. That gives me a little more confidence in that Riley had already looked into him.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm just trying to get some names out of you here. If you continue to repeat what you've always said, which are complete generalities, you are leaving yourself an out to whine and complain no matter who the hire is. So who exactly would you like to see as coach that could reasonably be hired at Nebraska?

I'll only complain, not whine if his hire sucks. If he hires a crony who has no experience, or someone who has had defensive lines that have been manhandled year after year, then I have every reason to complain. Do your own research.

Exorbitant

An image back in time
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Sounding like Parrella is the guy and will be officially announced soon. Not a fan of it on the surface, but we'll see how it goes.

I replied to your post, and then I read this. Parrella is one of the guys I liked. I think he'll be a good hire, better than Hughes was.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get the whole 5 star no star debate. But what if you get a great talent and for the sake of this conversation lets just call them a 5 star player. Now give him to Parrella and our weight room and with Boyd. see what happens

But I don't care as long as I see Blackshirt style play.

It's not a new idea by any means, but my analogy is that with a 5 star player, you have to be a Lion tamer. In other words you need to check that massive ego and get them to buy in.

The way Urban Meyer put it, is you have to "de-recruit" them once they get on campus, because you've spent so much time telling them they're the best thing since sliced bread.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, Urban Meyer said that you have to manipulate 5 star players to get them to come to your school, and then once you get them to sign on the dotted line, you need to manipulate them again into realizing what the reality of their situation is.