• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hank Hughes Gone

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That being said, I wouldn't be shocked if the hire ended up being someone like Keith Williams...a "Who?!" that ends up being a pretty good up-and-comer and a solid recruiter.

huskers1217

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what happened to the john parrella talk. LOL

Red_Alert

^^ Privileged ^^
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,956.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Angus McClure from UCLA is getting quite a bit of mention.

Didn't the Huskers just shove the ball up UCLA's ass between the tackles?

It was a known vulnerability to game-plan for the Foster Farms Bowl.

Add to that the quality of talent in their neighborhood and you've got stinker.

tometom

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,219.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i heard John Papuchis's name get mentioned, heard he was an up and comer and might finally be ready for a full time assistant gig.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't the Huskers just shove the ball up UCLA's ass between the tackles?

It was a known vulnerability to game-plan for the Foster Farms Bowl.

Add to that the quality of talent in their neighborhood and you've got stinker.

Personally, that doesn't mean much to me. They were short on players due to injury, and their defense in general is designed to stop high powered PAC 12 opponents, with more of an emphasis on the passing game. Schematically, I'd blame the defensive coordinator rather than the D-line coach that is forced to roll out an undersized D-line.

Another way to look at it...Stats aren't everything. We just let go a D-line coach that had a top rushing D in the country. I don't see many people arguing that it wasn't a good decision, though.

HuskerPower52

The Dirty sponge
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Vanderdoes and owa. Some of Angus top recruits. Also Josh Harvey and some guy named Suh are Angus latedt Twitter followers. Tifwiw.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are that McClure got a significant raise and 2 year extension to stay at UCLA.

corn train

Have some of it
Hoopla Cash
$ 76,445.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything indicating he was a legitimate candidate, btw you're welcome Angus

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tavita Thompson would be an excellent choice.

The more I think about it, it makes serious sense. He's loyal (as I said) to his guys who've stuck with him, and he does have west coast connections, which, clearly, reflects Mike Riley values.

He wants in California. If HCMR had his way, you'd see a load of California DT's come our way.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Riley learned a helluva lot about B1G football this year because he was gifted with a very talented set of defensive tackles. He's seen the success that can bring, and desperately wants more Collins, Valentine types.

The departure of BOTH of those Junior DT's is verrrrrrrrrrrry telling about why Hughes is gone.

I was extremely worried about the likability of Hughs when they did the "position coach feature." Mainly because he seemed like someone NO college DT would want to play for. Especially when you have an offensive minded head coach.

No knock on him, but he was a poor fit, and a black mark on Riley's hiring record.

There are several coaches who I think are getting the fuck out of here ASAP if they find the right landing spot.

Brian stewart INTERVIEWED FOR OTHER HC JOBS. Either he felt his job security was in jeopardy (which it probably was) or it was the fact that he landed seriously good DB's and it would be messed up to take away their position coach right when they land here.

That's a scary thing to think about, because the staff could be divided, but maybe (and I'm theorizing here) Mike Riley is very open about his staff's job security.

Last edited:

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
False. The UTSA coaching search firm contacted his agent. Unless you know of some other jobs that didn't leak out.

Well you've got me there. There's a big difference between colleges contacting coaches and coaches seeking out jobs. I don't know what really happened. You sound like you do.

Brasky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but you can't tell me you don't disagree with my Hughs sentiments.