• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Staying put

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if he measures in below expectations? He is listed as 6'? What if he comes in under 5'10? That could potentially take him off some teams boards and drop him below stroud and levis

A concern for sure... there's no way that munchkin is 6'0" let alone 5'11"..

The first 300 pound lineman that farts in his direction is going to tear his ACL.

8abc5b4c-5c39-43d9-8c23-33e9a61677c2-011022_CFPNationalChampionship_0028.jpg

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What if he measures in below expectations? He is listed as 6'? What if he comes in under 5'10? That could potentially take him off some teams boards and drop him below stroud and levis
Could be 50/50 if Pete pulls the trigger on Young.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better not overpay him … He’s not elite, but he’s definitely better than we all thought …
I totally agree with you. But what is hard to determine, at least at present, is, how much would overpaying him be? What do you think it is? Hell I'm not even sure what I think it is at this point. $35 million/yr? Hell, I don't know.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I totally agree with you. But what is hard to determine, at least at present, is, how much would overpaying him be? What do you think it is? Hell I'm not even sure what I think it is at this point. $35 million/yr? Hell, I don't know.
I think any contract for Geno to return to Seattle needs to be framed in the context of cap % instead of raw $. If he's resigned, I think the '23 cap number needs to be around 9% and then at its highest point not more than about 12%. That would keep it below where we had Russ in his last 4 seasons with the team. If the cap for '23 ends up being the $225M that's projected, then a 9% hit would be a couple bucks over $20M. I could live with that, but I don't want to see a 2023 cap number anywhere near $30M.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think go by the cap, he’s not an elite guy we all know that, so keep it a reasonable cap hit and sure keep him, but he’s not worth a BIG dent in our cap where we’re forced to make cuts… Correct me if I’m wrong I know people in here have numbers down better than me, but I think Wilson was close to 20 percent of the cap? Give or take because every year that changes a bit if the league adds cap $

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors swirling around right now are that Geno is looking for around 40 million per year, put me down for the hard, "NO" category... No way would I pay him that much money... I'd rather resign Drew Lock for 12-15 million and then draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the rumors swirling around right now are that Geno is looking for around 40 million per year, put me down for the hard, "NO" category... No way would I pay him that much money... I'd rather resign Drew Lock for 12-15 million and then draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round...
For me a $40M AAV contract would not be out of the question as long as he never actually has that high of a cap hit for any season until we reach the point in the deal where the team can cut him without great penalty. The overall numbers might say $40M year, and he gets a nice chunk of cash up front for a SB, but the effective contract is much lower than that based on how it's structured. So when/if Geno is re-signed, one thing we shouldn't do is just add up the total $, divide by the # of years, and freak out about the number. Some of us probably will, but we shouldn't.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me a $40M AAV contract would not be out of the question as long as he never actually has that high of a cap hit for any season until we reach the point in the deal where the team can cut him without great penalty. The overall numbers might say $40M year, and he gets a nice chunk of cash up front for a SB, but the effective contract is much lower than that based on how it's structured. So when/if Geno is re-signed, one thing we shouldn't do is just add up the total $, divide by the # of years, and freak out about the number. Some of us probably will, but we shouldn't.
If the cash is upfront and it's not allocated out where we would take a substantial cap hit like you mentioned, then I can see that being a better option...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me it really makes almost zero sense to bring Geno back, and I think Adams also needs to go. Yep I threw him in there. lol

Lets put it this way going 8-9 would have helped this team so much more than going 9-8. Thing is Geno will always be around that 8-9 or 9-8. He has always had a talented arm. Thats not why teams gave up on him. Anyway they need to go with a younger cheaper guy and at least look for someone that still could or might blossom with you. There are some young QB's that are up and down or don't get a lot of playing time out there so go grab one. Stay cheap at the QB position till the pieces are in place and I think that takes 1 MAYBE 2 more years.

Hurts to be in this position when you got players like Lockett and DK. It's like throwing away a year or two of their production but some times it needs to be done and those guys are still good enough to produce. I think they could make a lot of QB's look good.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it really makes almost zero sense to bring Geno back, and I think Adams also needs to go. Yep I threw him in there. lol

Lets put it this way going 8-9 would have helped this team so much more than going 9-8. Thing is Geno will always be around that 8-9 or 9-8. He has always had a talented arm. Thats not why teams gave up on him. Anyway they need to go with a younger cheaper guy and at least look for someone that still could or might blossom with you. There are some young QB's that are up and down or don't get a lot of playing time out there so go grab one. Stay cheap at the QB position till the pieces are in place and I think that takes 1 MAYBE 2 more years.

Hurts to be in this position when you got players like Lockett and DK. It's like throwing away a year or two of their production but some times it needs to be done and those guys are still good enough to produce. I think they could make a lot of QB's look good.
let drew lock start for a year, build future draft capital so we can trade up in 2024?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
let drew lock start for a year, build future draft capital so we can trade up in 2024?
That depends on where the Hawks land. If this team lands in the late teens you're basically throwing away more future draft capital than you most likely want. If you want a young QB on the cheap, now is the time to move up from 5 to 1 or 5 to 3 which would cost you less draft capital.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That depends on where the Hawks land. If this team lands in the late teens you're basically throwing away more future draft capital than you most likely want. If you want a young QB on the cheap, now is the time to move up from 5 to 1 or 5 to 3 which would cost you less draft capital.
this QB draft class is garbage, next year there are two elite guys that would be #1 this year. even the second tier next year were looking like locks for round 1 if they declared.

things can change, of course, but id rather put my eggs in next years basket than take a huge risk on a QB this year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this QB draft class is garbage, next year there are two elite guys that would be #1 this year. even the second tier next year were looking like locks for round 1 if they declared.

things can change, of course, but id rather put my eggs in next years basket than take a huge risk on a QB this year.
If we have a top 1-5 next year pick it would make sense to wait. Most likely the Seahawks will have a later pick then this year (20), If the QBs are that good it would take a lot to move up and teams may not be willing to trade that pick period. That’s the problem with waiting until next draft.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we have a top 1-5 next year pick it would make sense to wait. Most likely the Seahawks will have a later pick then this year (20), If the QBs are that good it would take a lot to move up and teams may not be willing to trade that pick period. That’s the problem with waiting until next draft.
id rather take a chance on next year than risk anything with the QBs in this draft. They all have major flaws and question marks.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks need a high pick in 2024, they just do. This is why i don't care if we played a Highschool QB lol. Just don't waist the money and time on a soon to be 33 year old with one season of production. Go YOUNG be the youngest team in the NFL in 2023 and get that top 5 pick again. Wheel and deal pick up some draft capital. This next year needs to look like the 2010 Seahawks when they made 200 something moves.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chances are we will not be in the top 10 or 15 to take those so called top QB prospects. Moving up would cost a significant amount of draft capital. At 5 if Stoud falls you have to take him and than use the next 3 picks on defense in a heavy defensive draft class.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chances are we will not be in the top 10 or 15 to take those so called top QB prospects. Moving up would cost a significant amount of draft capital. At 5 if Stoud falls you have to take him and than use the next 3 picks on defense in a heavy defensive draft class.
Like ive been saying, we trade down and build capital for next year.

If any of the top 3 QBs are there at 5, let some other team him and gather picks.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like ive been saying, we trade down and build capital for next year.

If any of the top 3 QBs are there at 5, let some other team him and gather picks.
Only if Stroud, Anderson or Carter are off the board. If the kid from TT is on the board I'd inclined to take him.