• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Staying put

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a GM, you'd love to be able to get Geno on a 2yr deal and then draft Richardson or Levis at 5 and say 'hey, this guy need a year or so on the bench. Geno, you have the locker room so have fun out there but we're drafting your replacement' and then draft Simpson/Sewell/Branch with that 2nd 1st rounder. Hit DL in Free Agency.

But someone (Carolina maybe) might trade up to where Arizona is and take a QB. Then maybe Seattle is looking at QB4 or whoever is left on Jalen Carter or Will Anderson. I think thats enough to change things.
I just cannot see the team re-signing Geno to be the starter *and* blowing the 1.5 on a QB who won't play for at least a couple seasons.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Mike Holmgren was here, he spoke in favor of youth on defense and experience on offense. I would subscribe to that idea in this off-season in particular and be in favor of using cap space on the QB and draft picks on defense. I would much rather re-sign Geno than use the 1.5 on a QB, though I also don't think the team should sign Geno at all costs. Something reasonable that benefits both sides is ok, but there are quite a few QBs scheduled to be available in the off-season to the point where it would be a mistake to break the bank on Geno.

Yep... Also, John Schneider/Pete Carroll has already mentioned that there is a hard cap/number that they won't exceed when it comes to Geno's offer...

With that said, I found this tweet from Geno interesting... Did the Hawks already make him an offer he's not too happy with?

1674505097694.png

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep... Also, John Schneider/Pete Carroll has already mentioned that there is a hard cap/number that they won't exceed when it comes to Geno's offer...

With that said, I found this tweet from Geno interesting... Did the Hawks already make him an offer he's not too happy with?

View attachment 319630
That tweet was discussed quite a bit by Brock & Salk this morning, and they both seemed to think it's what you stated. But it's awfully early in the process, and it wouldn't make good business sense for the team to come in with their best offer. I absolutely do believe they have a number they won't surpass, but I doubt they've already put that in front of Geno.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That tweet was discussed quite a bit by Brock & Salk this morning, and they both seemed to think it's what you stated. But it's awfully early in the process, and it wouldn't make good business sense for the team to come in with their best offer. I absolutely do believe they have a number they won't surpass, but I doubt they've already put that in front of Geno.
Oh for sure... Always start lower so you can have negotiating leverage... I'm just curious as to what they offered if they indeed did so... 15 million? 20 million? 30 million?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just cannot see the team re-signing Geno to be the starter *and* blowing the 1.5 on a QB who won't play for at least a couple seasons.
Im not even sure I understand the market for Geno. Its hard to imagine him having value outside of Seattle. If Geno Smith is looking for the bag then maybe Ive got the wrong opinion here. Im sure an Andy Dalton can get Seattle in the .500 range while a QB develops.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im not even sure I understand the market for Geno. Its hard to imagine him having value outside of Seattle. If Geno Smith is looking for the bag then maybe Ive got the wrong opinion here. Im sure an Andy Dalton can get Seattle in the .500 range while a QB develops.
I guess we will soon find out. The bevy of experienced QBs hitting free agency *should* knock his price tag down some. Geno had a good year and all and is going to get some starter money from somewhere, but a lot of the QBs who will be out there on the market had better stock than Geno a year ago. I see no reason why someone like Andy Dalton, Baker Mayfield, Jacoby Brissett or even Teddy Bridgewater couldn't come into Seattle's offense and play capably considering how much better Geno performed this season vs his career track record prior. At least that's one of my main bargaining chips if I am the Seattle FO. Seattle has options out there if Geno plays hard to get with $.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a GM, you'd love to be able to get Geno on a 2yr deal and then draft Richardson or Levis at 5 and say 'hey, this guy need a year or so on the bench. Geno, you have the locker room so have fun out there but we're drafting your replacement' and then draft Simpson/Sewell/Branch with that 2nd 1st rounder. Hit DL in Free Agency.

But someone (Carolina maybe) might trade up to where Arizona is and take a QB. Then maybe Seattle is looking at QB4 or whoever is left on Jalen Carter or Will Anderson. I think thats enough to change things.
Richardson Shouldn't even be in first round discussions, nevermind top 5

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richardson Shouldn't even be in first round discussions, nevermind top 5
'Top 5' is a term thats pretty fluid when at this point at lot of scouts are saying there are 2-3 top QBs and 3 blue chip non-QBs (Will Anderson, Carter, and Bijan Robinson)

Its still really early in the process. We need some combine risers

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

View attachment 319630
It's not just for the Seahawks, I'm sure, and I'm pretty sure it was tweeted after consulting with his agent. Their starting position will be that Geno is a top-6 QB (#5 in passer rating, #4 in TDs, #8 in yards, #6 in QBR) and should be paid like one.

We'll see whether anybody falls for that.

Geno will follow the money, and he'd be a fool not to. This is his one chance to truly cash in.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If Young or Stroud isn't sitting at 1.5 then pass on the QB as I have no interest in Levis or Richardson. Take Carter, Anderson or the kid from Texas Tech.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Young or Stroud isn't sitting at 1.5 then pass on the QB as I have no interest in Levis or Richardson. Take Carter, Anderson or the kid from Texas Tech.

Man Wilson (Texas Tech guy you're talking about) is getting some strong draft hype. Some are saying him over Anderson because of the size/length/upside.

I wouldn't mind him at 5 but I'd prefer Stroud/Anderson/Carter if any of the 3 are available. Wilson projects strongly in a 3-4 and if he's gone and the three aforementioned are gone, I'm sure we can find a trade partner for Young (I'm just not high on the guy - maybe Schneider is) in which case we can probably secure a 2024 1st rounder. I'm surprised but Seattle doesn't actually have THAT much cap room this year. I know we can restructure but I thought we had a lot more (we have a pretty high amount but also a LOT of roster spots to fill).

I just REALLY want us to draft a new center or acquire one in free agency. Blythe was fuckin' God awful.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well there will be a high chance that there will be a QB sitting there at #5 but Geno's highest value is that you would get a good veteran QB at a reasonable price. GM's today do not like the idea of paying even a star QB 40-50 million a season. I dont know how much Geno is asking but if he is trying to take advantage of this season for a mega pay day (Which he should) then that brings up the question of well if we pay Geno a ton then we are back to square 1 with RW when he was eating a ton of cap and we couldnt make moves. THEN brings the question well a QB on a rookie contract for 4 years will be a cheaper option.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed... I 100% do not like the thinking of we just need to grab a QB at #5 regardless because we need one... If that was the case when we needed a QB in 2012, we would've drafted Brandon Weeden in the 1st instead of Russell Wilson in the 3rd...

Even if Stroud is there I don't want to draft him at #5...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man Wilson (Texas Tech guy you're talking about) is getting some strong draft hype. Some are saying him over Anderson because of the size/length/upside.

I wouldn't mind him at 5 but I'd prefer Stroud/Anderson/Carter if any of the 3 are available. Wilson projects strongly in a 3-4 and if he's gone and the three aforementioned are gone, I'm sure we can find a trade partner for Young (I'm just not high on the guy - maybe Schneider is) in which case we can probably secure a 2024 1st rounder. I'm surprised but Seattle doesn't actually have THAT much cap room this year. I know we can restructure but I thought we had a lot more (we have a pretty high amount but also a LOT of roster spots to fill).

I just REALLY want us to draft a new center or acquire one in free agency. Blythe was fuckin' God awful.
Just don't trade up which has a mock or two making that move. I think Stroud is out of play with colts/Texans needing QB but what I hope for is another QB needy team trades up and hopefully Carter or Anderson falls to 5.

Right now it seems Seattle doesn't have a lot of cap space but that number is increasing plus I think the FO will be making some cuts to get some cap space back. Agreed on a C.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just don't trade up which has a mock or two making that move. I think Stroud is out of play with colts/Texans needing QB but what I hope for is another QB needy team trades up and hopefully Carter or Anderson falls to 5.

Right now it seems Seattle doesn't have a lot of cap space but that number is increasing plus I think the FO will be making some cuts to get some cap space back. Agreed on a C.

Yah I don't see any reason to trade up. Wilson is steadily moving up mock draft boards - some are even projecting him to be a better pick than Anderson because of Anderson's size issue (Wilson is 6'6 and 275 lbs... can plug that in anywhere: EDGE, 3-4 DE, or 4-3 DE).

If Stroud, Carter, Anderson, or Wilson are there at 5 I think you pull the trigger. And one should be because I can't imagine Young will fall to 5... if he does find a trade partner asap.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed... I 100% do not like the thinking of we just need to grab a QB at #5 regardless because we need one... If that was the case when we needed a QB in 2012, we would've drafted Brandon Weeden in the 1st instead of Russell Wilson in the 3rd...

Even if Stroud is there I don't want to draft him at #5...
I don't know what type of NFL QB Stroud will become but I'm willing to give up 1.5 for that type of talent on a cost control contact for the next 4 to 5 years. My fear is if Stroud falls to us and we pass and he becomes a very good QB we become like Bears fans wondering what if like they do with passing on Maholms when they clearly needed a QB.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yah I don't see any reason to trade up. Wilson is steadily moving up mock draft boards - some are even projecting him to be a better pick than Anderson because of Anderson's size issue (Wilson is 6'6 and 275 lbs... can plug that in anywhere: EDGE, 3-4 DE, or 4-3 DE).

If Stroud, Carter, Anderson, or Wilson are there at 5 I think you pull the trigger. And one should be because I can't imagine Young will fall to 5... if he does find a trade partner asap.
Young will be off the board to Houston. Seems those 2 have been linked to each other for quite sometime. Agreed and any of those players and if they happen to be gone then call the Raiders, take their draft capital so they can draft Levis.

Dolemite censored

Bigfoot is real
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno is a serviceable placeholder while Seahawks draft a quality QB to develop.

But, Seahawks are going nowhere without a substantial upgrade to their defense and defensive coaching staff.

Priority #1 should be resigning Shane Waldron... hell I'd let Pete go and make Waldron HC if it came to that...

That was 100% Waldron running the offense this year, and the defense outside of the secondary looked absolutely abysmal.. and that's supposed to be Pete's specialty. The fuck they ever felt the need to go to a 3-4 with that stupid 2-4-5 shit will always be beyond me. Guess that's why I'm not working for the NFL... lol.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young will be off the board to Houston. Seems those 2 have been linked to each other for quite sometime. Agreed and any of those players and if they happen to be gone then call the Raiders, take their draft capital so they can draft Levis.
What if he measures in below expectations? He is listed as 6'? What if he comes in under 5'10? That could potentially take him off some teams boards and drop him below stroud and levis