• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

QB options for next year

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do think there is a chance 6 QBs could go in the 1st 15 picks. That would be a historical precedent, but I think it's possible due to the amount of talent at that position in this class.
the covid year was unprecedented, without that we wouldnt have so many QBs potentially going in round 1.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the covid year was unprecedented, without that we wouldnt have so many QBs potentially going in round 1.
For sure there are some players in this class who would not have been there otherwise. Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock has Penix as the 5th QB off the board to the Raiders at #13. He does not have Nix going in round 1.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For sure there are some players in this class who would not have been there otherwise. Daniel Jeremiah's latest mock has Penix as the 5th QB off the board to the Raiders at #13. He does not have Nix going in round 1.

As it stands it looks like the top 4 QBs are pretty clearly set, although there could be changes in the other of them, and they will all go probably no later than the top 12. Nix and Penix are all over the map though. Some have Nix going as early as 12 and others having him going out of the 1st round. Same with Penix.

Fox News has all 6 going in the 1st round..

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start off with the ad hominem.

I would assume anyone posting in this group would know Nix and Penix's history.

When was the last time that North Carolina was ranked above Oregon? They are perennially a Top 10-15 team in the country. They aren't Alabama, Georgia or Michigan but they are a pretty huge football program and have been since Phil Knight invested in their program.

At this point I don't think even you know what you are arguing.

I asked you why you think Penix and Nix are likely to be the 5th and 6th drafted QBs in this draft class. You said because the media has a bias against Pac-12 teams. Then you realized that the likely No. 1 pick was from a Pac-12 team and you shifted to some nebulous reasoning in which the University of North Carolina is a big time football college but the University of Oregon isn't. I'm actually impressed at your determination to die on this hill.

And how the hell did you infer that I was claiming you had an East Coast bias? What I said was "You clearly believe that both Penix and Nix are suffering from some East Coast bias".

We've both posted here a long time and I don't recall ever having a tussle with you in the past. But you clearly have some personal investment in Nix and Penix and antagonism towards McCarthy to the point of irrationality. No big deal. We all have things we are irrational about.
Than tell me why Drake Maye will be drafted before Penix/Nix as both probably should be drafted ahead of Maye.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As it stands it looks like the top 4 QBs are pretty clearly set, although there could be changes in the other of them, and they will all go probably no later than the top 12.

With the ammo the Vikings have, I think the first 4 picks could definitely be all QB.

Nix and Penix are all over the map though. Some have Nix going as early as 12 and others having him going out of the 1st round. Same with Penix.

Yeah, harder to gauge those guys. One thing that is sorta bugging me about how people are talking about those 2 players is the age exaggeration. I heard Mike Salk say last week that Penix was 25, when in fact he does not even turn 24 until May. Today on the same show I heard them refer to Bo Nix as being 25. He just turned 24 a month ago. I am guessing actual NFL teams will have a better system to track the ages of the players they may draft, but yeah who knows where those 2 will go.
Fox News has all 6 going in the 1st round..

I can see it, especially if 4 are already gone before the 5th player comes off the board.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Than tell me why Drake Maye will be drafted before Penix/Nix as both probably should be drafted ahead of Maye.

You created a premise where only your reasoning is acceptable.

There are loads of different websites that provide scouting reports on all of these players. ALL of them having Maye as a better prospect than Nix or Penix or Mccarthy. These are the guys watching the ALL-22s for all of these players.

Nix is a 6 year college QB who plays in a VERY QB friendly non-pro style offense.

However, it's hard to get a sense for where Nix is at in terms of being an NFL processor. Oregon's offense lightened the load on him mentally by spamming screens, run-pass options and simple vertical concepts to unlock his arm. Even a lot of Oregon's more traditional passing concepts were made easier to read out and trigger on by their use of spacing and abusing the college hashes, which won't exist for him in the NFL.
Nix could also stand to improve his footwork and pocket demeanor. There are moments of good, stable movement in the pocket, but he too often shies away from throws and hinders his ability to throw accurately.
Nix will ultimately be a dice roll on traits. His athleticism and arm talent can be game-changing if honed correctly. With that said, it's a little worrisome that Nix is still unrefined in some areas as an older prospect with a ton of games under his belt. Nix would fit best in a spread-oriented offense that emphasizes RPOs, the quarterback run game and vertical passing.

Maye also has a little bit of Superman Syndrome. There are two or three plays a game where things break down and Maye feels the need to do something outrageous to salvage the play, rather than just move onto the next play or series. You don't want Maye to lose his edge, but some of those plays must be cut out.
Overall, Maye is a supremely talented passer. He has the athleticism, arm talent and baseline processing skills to become a weapon at the next level. All he needs to do is cut out some of the "doing too much" plays. Maye has the skill set to fit in any system and develop into a star.

Nix may wind up being the best QB of the bunch when it is all said and done. But there are legitimate reasons why he is seen as being QB4,5 or 6 in this draft. Same goes for Penix and McCarthy.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the ammo the Vikings have, I think the first 4 picks could definitely be all QB.

Yeah. Not sure if the Cards would be willing to miss out on Harrison but the Vikings are going to make a move to ensure they get McCarthy. Course they could be stymied if the Jets decided to take him.

Yeah, harder to gauge those guys. One thing that is sorta bugging me about how people are talking about those 2 players is the age exaggeration. I heard Mike Salk say last week that Penix was 25, when in fact he does not even turn 24 until May. Today on the same show I heard them refer to Bo Nix as being 25. He just turned 24 a month ago. I am guessing actual NFL teams will have a better system to track the ages of the players they may draft, but yeah who knows where those 2 will go.

The age thing is a real thing. Penix and Nix have been playing college football for 6 years. Nix has over 1000 pass attempts in college. He had a ton more experience at that level than just about anyone else he would facing off against. He's a lot closer to the fully developed version of himself than McCarthy or Maye who are 3 years younger than him.

I can see it, especially if 4 are already gone before the 5th player comes off the board.

It could happen. Although my guess is that if they aren't all taken in the top 15 then at least one of them will fall into the 2nd round. The teams drafting later in the 1st round are not nearly as QB needy and will be more interested in getting value with their pick.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The age thing is a real thing. Penix and Nix have been playing college football for 6 years. Nix has over 1000 pass attempts in college. He had a ton more experience at that level than just about anyone else he would facing off against. He's a lot closer to the fully developed version of himself than McCarthy or Maye who are 3 years younger than him.
Pundits are framing that as a negative but it can be framed as a positive since they arrive more polished and more ready for the NFL day one.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pundits are framing that as a negative but it can be framed as a positive since they arrive more polished and more ready for the NFL day one.

NFL teams are less interested in them being ready Day 1 than they are in them being potentially the next Pat Mahomes.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL teams are less interested in them being ready Day 1 than they are in them being potentially the next Pat Mahomes.
I think they would like them to be ready day 1 and be potentially Patrick Mahomes able to take full advantage of the benefit of a rookie contract.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I am not saying the age thing isn't a thing. It's just not being reported accurately on a consistent basis. Neither Penix nor Nix is 25 years old, and neither will be 25 years old at any point in their rookie seasons, but I've heard them both being reported as being that old multiple times.

Penix is 6 months older than rookie RW. I just don't see it as a huge deal. He's played the number of games equivalent to about 3.5 full seasons.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not saying the age thing isn't a thing. It's just not being reported accurately on a consistent basis. Neither Penix nor Nix is 25 years old, and neither will be 25 years old at any point in their rookie seasons, but I've heard them both being reported as being that old multiple times.

Penix is 6 months older than rookie RW. I just don't see it as a huge deal. He's played the number of games equivalent to about 3.5 full seasons.

I don't think it is a huge deal. I do think it is a factor.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it is a huge deal. I do think it is a factor.
That's fair. I just want the sports media and pundits to be accurate about it if they're going to bring it up, especially if they are suggesting it's relevant to how "we" should evaluate their draft stock.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's fair. I just want the sports media and pundits to be accurate about it if they're going to bring it up, especially if they are suggesting it's relevant to how "we" should evaluate their draft stock.

I don't think the pundits really matter with this stuff. The scouts for all the teams very much know how old Bo Nix and Michael Penix is.

I think the reputable draft guys(Kiper, Brugler, Jeremiah) usually get their facts right.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You created a premise where only your reasoning is acceptable.

There are loads of different websites that provide scouting reports on all of these players. ALL of them having Maye as a better prospect than Nix or Penix or Mccarthy. These are the guys watching the ALL-22s for all of these players.

Nix is a 6 year college QB who plays in a VERY QB friendly non-pro style offense.

Nix may wind up being the best QB of the bunch when it is all said and done. But there are legitimate reasons why he is seen as being QB4,5 or 6 in this draft. Same goes for Penix and McCarthy.
My reasoning's are an opinion which you try to discredit with your opinion and that's fine. Neither one of us truly knows what NFL scouts think of these guys cause teams don't want to tip their hand. Getting info from websites is fine but so is the eye test of watching games. I didn't need the All-22s to tell me CJ Stroud was going to be an excellent QB. This year I believe Jaydon McDaniels could be that same type of impact player his rookie season. Williams red flag with the amount of TO's, penix red flags cause of injury history, Nix could have a descent career, JJ I'm honestly not sure since he was in a heavy run style offense and wasn't asked to shoulder the load. This is my opinion and never have I said my reasoning have to be acceptable.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My reasoning's are an opinion which you try to discredit with your opinion and that's fine. Neither one of us truly knows what NFL scouts think of these guys cause teams don't want to tip their hand. Getting info from websites is fine but so is the eye test of watching games. I didn't need the All-22s to tell me CJ Stroud was going to be an excellent QB. This year I believe Jaydon McDaniels could be that same type of impact player his rookie season. Williams red flag with the amount of TO's, penix red flags cause of injury history, Nix could have a descent career, JJ I'm honestly not sure since he was in a heavy run style offense and wasn't asked to shoulder the load. This is my opinion and never have I said my reasoning have to be acceptable.

This is all very reasonable. And I never challenged your opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I apologize if you thought I was attacking your opinions.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is all very reasonable. And I never challenged your opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I apologize if you thought I was attacking your opinions.
It's cool! We need the draft to get here so we can see the roster taking form.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@jerseyhawksfan79 @flyerhawk

Glad you too peacefully resolved...

2f7243a8-4edb-4864-8a72-da8f496853eb_text.gif

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to predict that the Cowboys draft a QB to be QB of the future this draft.