• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Staying put

Judge Fudge

One Pretty Kinky Bastard
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,151.20
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would say that was the most likely course of action from the beginning -- strike a new deal or use the tag to buy some time to work things out. I say this is good news in the context of that 1.5 pick.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better not overpay him … He’s not elite, but he’s definitely better than we all thought …

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They better not overpay him … He’s not elite, but he’s definitely better than we all thought …
I agree but would also add he's better than any alternative that's out there right now. My hope is that he's willing to sign for somewhere in the vicinity of high 20s per year for 3 years. FT will likely cost the team at least mid 30s for 1 year and the team will need to develop a rookie quickly in that case because if Geno backs this season up with another good one, he will cost a lot more. Get the defense fixed and some more interior Oline and the future could be bright. The thing is, the ball is in Geno's court. If he truly wants to be part of this as he says, he can still make good money and be the guy for 2-3 years. If he wants the big paycheck, then the team will have no choice but the FT.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although teams have not received projections on next year’s cap yet, the NFL’s 2023 salary ceiling is on track to come in north of $220MM. That will bump the exclusive quarterback tag north of $45MM. Noting a handful of teams are using a $225MM projection for next year’s cap, CBS Sports’ Joel Corry pegs the exclusive QB tag at $45.25MM. No player has ever gone through a season attached to a cap number north of $45MM. Jackson and the Browns’ Deshaun Watson — as of now set to count $54.9MM on Cleveland’s 2023 payroll

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree but would also add he's better than any alternative that's out there right now. My hope is that he's willing to sign for somewhere in the vicinity of high 20s per year for 3 years. FT will likely cost the team at least mid 30s for 1 year and the team will need to develop a rookie quickly in that case because if Geno backs this season up with another good one, he will cost a lot more. Get the defense fixed and some more interior Oline and the future could be bright. The thing is, the ball is in Geno's court. If he truly wants to be part of this as he says, he can still make good money and be the guy for 2-3 years. If he wants the big paycheck, then the team will have no choice but the FT.
That's 100% wrong. The Seahawks do not HAVE TO have Geno on the roster. They have alternatives, drafting a QB, signing someone else. There are better alternatives then Geno on the FA ( likely cost a lot also). We just saw 6 weeks of uninspired play from Geno , who is 33 in October. I'm baffled why you seem to feel resigning him is a MUST DO. Geez I think resigning even for reasonable money is real risky as I find it likely Geno goes back to his norm, which is being mediocre. By the way the FT is now 45.25MM (see above post ^^^^) that is crazy money and must be avoided.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's 100% wrong. The Seahawks do not HAVE TO have Geno on the roster. They have alternatives, drafting a QB, signing someone else. There are better alternatives then Geno on the FA ( likely cost a lot also). We just saw 6 weeks of uninspired play from Geno , who is 33 in October. I'm baffled why you seem to feel resigning him is a MUST DO. Geez I think resigning even for reasonable money is real risky as I find it likely Geno goes back to his norm, which is being mediocre. By the way the FT is now 45.25MM (see above post ^^^^) that is crazy money and must be avoided.
Geno's FT is not 45 mil Harold. It's a little over 32 mil. As for FA, who are all these better fucking QBs out there. Carr would be the only one. Jesus Harold, I know you don't like Geno but get your facts straight. If at the 5 pick, Stroud is still there, then sure but we still need a bridge QB, imo. Either non-exclusive FT for Geno at 32 mil or a more cap manageable 3year deal with 2 years of real money in the mid to high 20s is reasonable. The rest of the team is still likely 2 years from being a real contender anyway.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno's FT is not 45 mil Harold. It's a little over 32 mil. As for FA, who are all these better fucking QBs out there. Carr would be the only one. Jesus Harold, I know you don't like Geno but get your facts straight. If at the 5 pick, Stroud is still there, then sure but we still need a bridge QB, imo. Either non-exclusive FT for Geno at 32 mil or a more cap manageable 3year deal with 2 years of real money in the mid to high 20s is reasonable. The rest of the team is still likely 2 years from being a real contender anyway.
Exclusive franchise tag is excepted to be 45 million.

Geno is mediocre and his stats are inflated off of 4 games where he was hot. He ended the season with 6 straight meh performances that are online with the Geno of the past. Before I tag Geno I would rather sign some like Rush, Huntley White for cheap or go bigger and sign Brisett or Daniel Jones who isn't special but has good mobility and a decent arm and is YOUNG. The idea that the Seahawks have NO CHOICE but to sign Geno is completely absurd.
This draft may lack that can't miss QB, but 3-4 QBs that appear to have the potential to be an NFL starting caliber QB and as I've said numerous times this is the draft to find the Seahawks QB of the future.
Now the defense obviously needs help and this need has folks wanting to punt on a QB and has them trying to sell Geno frigging Smith as a fix even though we all know deep down that Geno isn't the answer. The defense can be addressed without using the #5 pick and listening to Pete he is going take steps to upgrade the DL and at the same time noting this is a draft for QBs. At #5 the two most noticeable DL will be gone, but one of the top three QBs could still be on the board. If that the case the Seahawks should draft him, at this time that QB looks to be Levis, but already there is speculation he could leapfrog the other two QBs, as some scouts are getting excited about his upside.
If the Seahawks go with a DL at #5 there are options with their other first round pick Richardson, McKee or Duggan and if later Jake Haener could be considered although he looks more of a game manager type to me.
The point is there are so many ways the Seahawks could go and that's without mentioning something sort wild like signing Brady or Lamar Jackson or Carr. I also think getting locked into Geno would be the biggest mistake the Seahawks could make. Be different if they sign him at a bridge QB pay and drafted and developed a QB of the near future, but I'm talking like 20 million per year and if at the very most 25 million ( but would need an early out for the Seahawks at that cost). I'd be willing to wager a large sum of money that Geno doesn't match this years performance and that he goes back to the Geno we watched the last 6 games.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although teams have not received projections on next year’s cap yet, the NFL’s 2023 salary ceiling is on track to come in north of $220MM. That will bump the exclusive quarterback tag north of $45MM. Noting a handful of teams are using a $225MM projection for next year’s cap, CBS Sports’ Joel Corry pegs the exclusive QB tag at $45.25MM. No player has ever gone through a season attached to a cap number north of $45MM. Jackson and the Browns’ Deshaun Watson — as of now set to count $54.9MM on Cleveland’s 2023 payroll
Something is off. That very article from Joel Corry at CBS Sports projects the exclusive rights tag for QBs at just over $32M on a $225M cap. I don't see anywhere in there a mention of $45M. Where is the above quote from?

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ain't gonna lie...Geno Smith for 32 vs. 45 million seems like one of those "Should I jump off a 10,000 or 12,000 foot bridge onto the concrete pavement below?" arguments.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno's passer rating in December/January was 89.6. That's Taylor Heinicke territory.

Sign Geno for a couple of years at <$10 million per and draft a QB. It's not like somebody else is going to throw $80 million at Geno.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno's passer rating in December/January was 89.6. That's Taylor Heinicke territory.

Sign Geno for a couple of years at <$10 million per and draft a QB. It's not like somebody else is going to throw $80 million at Geno.
larry wilmore yes GIF by The Nightly Show

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ain't gonna lie...Geno Smith for 32 vs. 45 million seems like one of those "Should I jump off a 10,000 or 12,000 foot bridge onto the concrete pavement below?" arguments.
If the cap ends up being $225M, $30M is just over 13% of the cap. Usually the first year 2 of a new contract has a lesser cap # than the AAV. If Seattle signs Geno to a 5 year deal with an AAV of $30M and works the first year cap number down to just $25M, that's going to be about 11% of the '23 cap. Depending on what some of these other FA QBs do, that would put him essentially in the exact middle of the league's starters. Not that big of a deal.

So just above Tyrod Taylor? That would be great, but it isn't realistic given the kind of season he had. We are now trying to overvalue a couple games at the end of the year while devaluating high performance from the early part of the season, but I don't think contract negotiations work that way. I hope I am wrong though because it would be a huge win to get him to come back for backup money. I think plenty of teams out there would offer him $80M over 3 or 4 years. It just isn't a huge amount of money relative to the QB market, as shown above.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno or Ogunjobi and Ngakoue?

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it isn't realistic given the kind of season he had
Garoppolo signed for $7 million for one year this year, after a better season, in a similar situation.

Geno will probably be a short-term starter for a team drafting a rookie. Seattle makes the most sense.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garoppolo signed for $7 million for one year this year, after a better season, in a similar situation.

Geno will probably be a short-term starter for a team drafting a rookie. Seattle makes the most sense.
He wasn't a UFA though. He signed a 5 year deal in 2019 with SF. They worked a new deal just for the 2022 season, but there was no opportunity for him to go test the market like Geno will have. Jimmy G was under contract with SF the whole off-season.

And the only thing better about Jimmy G's 2021 than Geno's 2022 was that he was on a better team. His individual numbers are lesser in pretty much every way -- fewer TDs (a lot fewer), more INTs, lesser comp %, lesser passer rating. Jimmy G had a slightly better y/a, so I guess he had him there.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno or Ogunjobi and Ngakoue?
da'ron payne?

if we could snag him it takes the pressure off to find an elite DL at the top of the draft and makes taking a QB at 5 a little easier to justify.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
da'ron payne?

if we could snag him it takes the pressure off to find an elite DL at the top of the draft and makes taking a QB at 5 a little easier to justify.
I'm hoping for Carter or Murphy with that #5, Check the Edge box with FA's

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
da'ron payne?

If the cost of signing him makes sense I'm for it. Signing him, taking a QB with pick #5 then address getting a nose tackle , inside LBs, center, guard
wow Seahawks could be a contender.