• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Staying put

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasn't a UFA though. He signed a 5 year deal in 2019 with SF. They worked a new deal just for the 2022 season, but there was no opportunity for him to go test the market like Geno will have.
Geno has maybe five useful years left, and another team banking on those years being good because of a dozen games, especially when those games were followed by six mediocre games, is iffy.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno has maybe five useful years left, and another team banking on those years being good because of a dozen games, especially when those games were followed by six mediocre games, is iffy.

There is absolutely no way that Geno is only getting 10 mil AAV. He's going to get a 4-5 year contract.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll see. The market for QBs tends to be hot. Teams "overpay" and "overdraft" QBs every single year.

And now it's 6 mediocre games?? Anyone got 8? How about 10? Remember when Geno played that one good game in 2022??

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the cost of signing him makes sense I'm for it. Signing him, taking a QB with pick #5 then address getting a nose tackle , inside LBs, center, guard
wow Seahawks could be a contender.
Its probably going to be $20-25m per for da'ron Payne, could be closer to $20m.

$25 would be absolute top of the market. We can easily swing that if we let geno walk.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we'll see. The market for QBs tends to be hot. Teams "overpay" and "overdraft" QBs every single year.

And now it's 6 mediocre games?? Anyone got 8? How about 10? Remember when Geno played that one good game in 2022??

I think we are dealing with some grass is greener reasoning here with Geno.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are dealing with some grass is greener reasoning here with Geno.
And apparently overvaluing a small set of games that includes 2 against the #1 D in the league.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Um.. I guess it is more like eight mediocre games if you want to split hairs, but I was just going by the good early stretch of twelve games versus the mediocre last six.

Something tailed off, the question is what and why.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno's passer rating in December/January was 89.6. That's Taylor Heinicke territory.

Sign Geno for a couple of years at <$10 million per and draft a QB. It's not like somebody else is going to throw $80 million at Geno.
You're hardly going to sign any starting QB for only 10 million in this league... That isn't going to happen...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Garoppolo signed for $7 million for one year this year, after a better season, in a similar situation.

Geno will probably be a short-term starter for a team drafting a rookie. Seattle makes the most sense.
Jimmy G was also going to be the backup - not the starter... That was for a backup salary...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm hoping for Carter or Murphy with that #5, Check the Edge box with FA's
I want Carter for sure if he's available... I'm starting to really like Tyree Wilson, LB from Texas Tech, too... That guy is a beast...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jimmy G was also going to be the backup - not the starter... That was for a backup salary...
Yeah, everyone was expecting him get cut right before that oddly restructured deal for 2022. I think the main purpose of that was just to extend the window of opportunity to find a trade partner. Once that fizzled, they had a pretty good insurance policy against Trey Lance either being bad or getting injured. All in all, it was a wise move for them. They don't have much $ tied up at QB now or in the near future, and they are absolutely loaded all over the roster.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is absolutely no way that Geno is only getting 10 mil AAV. He's going to get a 4-5 year contract.
He may get a five-year contract, but with an out after one or two.

Unless a team does something stupid, which is always possible.

I don't watch a lot of Seahawks game - why were December/January less impressive for Geno? Looks like he was getting sacked more, throwing more interceptions, and his yards per attempt dropped.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I for one ........ well, I am not the GM of Seattle or the owner... am NOT for resigning Geno to some $30M+ per year contract. Even at #5, Shroud, Levis, Young are probably going to be there... do I like those guys? Meh... outside of Stroud not really... but at least you have an out other than giving Smith ridiculous money. This is a YOUNG core of players we just drafted... if we're avoiding drafting a QB that Schneider (who liked Wilson, Mahomes, Allen) likes because Pete wants to 'run' by improving other areas, bleh. That's not building a franchise, that's hanging on by a thread.

Unless I'm also missing something, Seattle doesn't have exactly a TON of cap room. Yes we are top 16 on a cap tracker, but we also have a VERY low amount of signed players... so locking up Smith with a $30-40M franchise tag isn't exactly an option.

After Pete and Hurtt's way of running the defense last year and especially against the 9ers, I'd rather just promote Waldron now and retain him and give him a new QB to work with in a QB driven league.

Now if Geno wants a 3 year $75M contract with some incentives, fine. Let's not forget a lot of the 'work' he did was against HORRIBLE defenses or defenses that were blown up by injury. Now I will extend an olive branch and say he was playing with two rookie OTs, one of the worst centers in the league, and a rookie RB.... but I think Waldron can VERY easily work with another cheaper QB to produce the same result.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're hardly going to sign any starting QB for only 10 million in this league... That isn't going to happen...
The Falcons got Mariota for less and the Panthers got Mayfield for less.

Geno is admittedly a step up.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eh I think with Waldron's offense, the talent with Metcalf/Lockett, and how Walker played (and even Lucas/Cross - who got some shit penalties but they were VERY solid as two rookie OTs - problem was the absolute shit play from Blythe).... the Falcons and Panthers with the offensive skill positions (and even offensive tackles) are not on the same planet.

Seattle's offense and their coordinator is FAAAAAAAR more talented than ANTYHING the Falcons/Panthers have. It's not even close.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd be surprised if our QB room isn't making around 30-35 million next season... That is definitely a manageable number in today's NFL...

I believe they give Geno a 2-3 yr agreement worth 28-30 million along w/ Drew Lock 5-6 million to retain him... I feel that management believes that Lock can be a starter in this league...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He may get a five-year contract, but with an out after one or two.

Unless a team does something stupid, which is always possible.
Teams are always going to make mistakes with draft picks, contracts, trades, etc., but that doesn't mean we don't have an idea of what is likely to happen with Geno, and that is almost assuredly a pretty good payday whether in Seattle or somewhere else. That's just how the league works with QBs. If you don't have one, you're willing to take risk to get one, probably more so than at any other position. I would challenge someone to find an example of a QB in a contract year who put up numbers like Geno did, and didn't get paid in free agency.
I don't watch a lot of Seahawks game - why were December/January less impressive for Geno? Looks like he was getting sacked more, throwing more interceptions, and his yards per attempt dropped.
Well, a few things were happening:
  • Played the 49ers twice and a couple other decent defenses (Jets, Rams) in that stretch. Playing good defenses usually makes it tougher to perform.
  • Seattle's defense was pretty bad during that stretch. In some games it made the offense one dimensional and allowed the defense to be more aggressive vs the pass. That also usually makes it tougher to perform well.
  • Geno did have a couple games in there where he just didn't play well. Carolina in particular. Even the best QBs don't play well in every single game.
In all, he had 5 games out 18 where he posted a passer rating under 90. He had 3 in the 90s, then 10 that were 100+. The list of QBs who did better than that this year is probably not longer than 2 or 3.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Geno's passer rating in December/January was 89.6. That's Taylor Heinicke territory.

Sign Geno for a couple of years at <$10 million per and draft a QB. It's not like somebody else is going to throw $80 million at Geno.
I hope you're right but it's always a seller's market when it comes to QB services. If Geno hits the open market, then someone will grossly overpay for his services.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd be surprised if our QB room isn't making around 30-35 million next season... That is definitely a manageable number in today's NFL...

I believe they give Geno a 2-3 yr agreement worth 28-30 million along w/ Drew Lock 5-6 million to retain him... I feel that management believes that Lock can be a starter in this league...

Lock just needs to go and replace it with a late round pick.... that's not the answer. Seattle's cap has about $50M at the moment.... with a minimal roster thanks to the ridiculous money we're paying safeties... that's before increases... but $30M in year 1 with Geno is basically a non-starter, which means it has to be a longer term agreement.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those two weren't ranked as high as Geno was this year when negotiating their contract with ATL/CAR...

1674071805060.png