• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Staying put

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 firsts is the price of a franchise QB, wouldnt that be worth it? especially if two of them are already on your board?

we gave up TWO firsts for a freakin safety for fucks sake
Yes they gave 2 firsts for Adams and it was crippling. Much as you like QBs that are a year from their draft right now, I also sure you will identify warts once that draft gets closer and 3 firsts would make difficult to add top players. I have no desire to see the Seahawks become the Rams and shuck off first round picks routinely.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure they were pleased with his season, but they won't like the price tag that comes with signing Geno. Obviously if they had a inkling that Geno would bloom they would of signed to a longer contract and it would of been dirt cheap. I just don't see them agreeing to paying Geno big money now when they could of gotten him on the cheap and passed.

It all depends on what people mean by big money. An AAV in the 20s is not big money, IMO.

I'm sure they would prefer that he sign a 3 or 4 year deal so the cap hit won't be so bad but I think they will tag him if they can't get him to agree to a deal.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It all depends on what people mean by big money. An AAV in the 20s is not big money, IMO.

I'm sure they would prefer that he sign a 3 or 4 year deal so the cap hit won't be so bad but I think they will tag him if they can't get him to agree to a deal.
Guess we'll see. I don't see them wanting to Geno franchise tag money and I don't see them wanting to push payment or significant dead money down the road for a bridge QB, just isn't worth it. However all we can do is wait and see. Also a bridge QB leaves the question, a bridge to what QB? They would still have to be looking at the draft for a QB.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we'll see. I don't see them wanting to Geno franchise tag money and I don't see them wanting to push payment or significant dead money down the road for a bridge QB, just isn't worth it. However all we can do is wait and see.

If the Seahawks don't fix their defense, it doesn't matter who the QB is.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the Seahawks don't fix their defense, it doesn't matter who the QB is.
Oh they intend to address the defense. Maybe sign some impact defenders with the money they save not signing Geno.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh they intend to address the defense. Maybe sign some impact defenders with the money they save not signing Geno.

It's weird to me to see so many Hawks fans that can't wait to get rid of Geno. Geno wasn't the problem last season.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess we'll see. I don't see them wanting to Geno franchise tag money and I don't see them wanting to push payment or significant dead money down the road for a bridge QB, just isn't worth it. However all we can do is wait and see. Also a bridge QB leaves the question, a bridge to what QB? They would still have to be looking at the draft for a QB.
then sign drew lock for peanuts and hold off on a QB until next year.

in all likelihood, this team regresses a bit next year and we miss the playoffs anyways. despite beating expectations, this is still a rebuilding team.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
despite beating expectations, this is still a rebuilding team.

It is, but there should be no reason for the team to regress. We have two Rookie of the Year candidates, Lockett should heal from his injury and the special teams is amongst the best in the league.

If anything, Walker and Woolen will just get better after a full season

I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to at least match this years record.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is, but there should be no reason for the team to regress. We have two Rookie of the Year candidates, Lockett should heal from his injury and the special teams is amongst the best in the league.

If anything, Walker and Woolen will just get better after a full season

I see no reason why they wouldn't be able to at least match this years record.
on paper, next years schedule looks significantly more difficult. plus geno had a career year, even broke team records. its doubtful we get that production out of the QB in consecutive seasons. on top of that, we have so many holes on the defense its unlikely we can plug them all.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's weird to me to see so many Hawks fans that can't wait to get rid of Geno. Geno wasn't the problem last season.
Folks misunderstand. I would love to sign Geno with the contract the 49ers gave Jimmy G

1675101917229.png

Or what Brissett got:

1675102048999.png

However I'm 100% against paying franchise tag money or pushing the money down the road to sign him. Reason being:
A) He's not the future, just a stop gap until they can find their QB of the future
B) Seahawks would still need a QB and would be then paying Geno big money and spending pricy draft capitol for the QB position.
C) Signing Geno to FT contract or a long term contract would tempt the Seahawks to delay searching for the QB of the future and this year is their best shot at finding one, as they won't have the draft position after this season.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Folks misunderstand. I would love to sign Geno with the contract the 49ers gave Jimmy G

View attachment 320153

Or what Brissett got:

View attachment 320154

However I'm 100% against paying franchise tag money or pushing the money down the road to sign him. Reason being:
A) He's not the future, just a stop gap until they can find their QB of the future
B) Seahawks would still need a QB and would be then paying Geno big money and spending pricy draft capitol for the QB position.
C) Signing Geno to FT contract or a long term contract would tempt the Seahawks to delay searching for the QB of the future and this year is their best shot at finding one, as they won't have the draft position after this season.

No one is saying that Geno should get franchise QB money. That is north of 40 million a year.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would be perfectly fine keeping Geno... at the right contract price + T&C.

Harold and I (and I'm sure others) have a problem keeping Geno with some ridiculous $30M+ per year for 3-4 years contract with 75% guaranteed.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be perfectly fine keeping Geno... at the right contract price + T&C.

Harold and I (and I'm sure others) have a problem keeping Geno with some ridiculous $30M+ per year for 3-4 years contract with 75% guaranteed.

I don't know what the Hawks will do. I do think that Geno will ultimately sign a deal with an AAV somewhere in the 20s. His best chance of seeing out the contract is probably staying in Seattle.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect to take a 10 million AAV contract. That's backup QB money.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what the Hawks will do. I do think that Geno will ultimately sign a deal with an AAV somewhere in the 20s. His best chance of seeing out the contract is probably staying in Seattle.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect to take a 10 million AAV contract. That's backup QB money.

I really could give two fucks about Geno, Carroll, or the draft... my primary concern is getting Waldron back. I'm shocked so few Hawks fans are talking about this....

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really could give two fucks about Geno, Carroll, or the draft... my primary concern is getting Waldron back. I'm shocked so few Hawks fans are talking about this....

I haven't heard any talk of him being seriously considered for a job somewhere else.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't even care what the AAV is because it doesn't necessarily give an accurate picture of what the contract really says or what it is likely to be in reality. If the Hawks can get Geno back on a deal that carries a 2023 cap hit under $20M and gives the team opportunity to get out from under it after the 2nd year with little to no penalty, then I think that would be an acceptable answer regardless of what the AAV might be. I also fully realize that even if Geno gets a team friendly extension, there will be some people who will use the AAV as a way to disapprove and claim the team overpayed.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't even care what the AAV is because it doesn't necessarily give an accurate picture of what the contract really says or what it is likely to be in reality. If the Hawks can get Geno back on a deal that carries a 2023 cap hit under $20M and gives the team opportunity to get out from under it after the 2nd year with little to no penalty, then I think that would be an acceptable answer regardless of what the AAV might be. I also fully realize that even if Geno gets a team friendly extension, there will be some people who will use the AAV as a way to disapprove and claim the team overpayed.

I more or less agree. I'm using AAV as a reference point.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I more or less agree. I'm using AAV as a reference point.
Oh yeah, I knew what you meant. My post was more general and not directed specifically at you.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's not realistic to think that the AAV means nothing. Derek Carr did a solid for the Raiders and took a puny amount of signing bonus and now they're kicking him to the curb before the extension years even start. With that being the template, there's little to no incentive for Geno to allow Seattle to do the same to him. Outside of Carr, show me a 30m AAV that doesn't reach over 30m in cap before he can be cut. If you sign him to 30m AAV, then the trend is that he'll command at least 30m in cap space in one season of his deal.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems like a lot of considerations go into where they want to go with QB next year.

Geno's cost/years of commitment vs his true value.

But...

Pete's age. The guy is 71. He can't coach forever. Grooming a rookie QB, which could take 2 or 3 years to develop into a confident leader, at this point in Pete's career, may be less of a preference for Pete than chasing a deep playoff run with a veteran QB.

However...

While Walker, Lockett, DK, and an emerging OL seem to put the offense in a position where it doesn't need to be led by an elite QB, the offense may still need a better leader than Drew Lock.

So if...

We let Geno go, decline on drafting a QB, and go back into the pool of available veteran QBs, is there one potentially available that won't overburden us on the cap and can still be a better option than Geno? Who's available or might become available? Here's my take.

Rodgers - will cost too much
Brady - looks old and locked in on the East Coast anyway unless an opportunity arises in San Francisco.
Tannehill - rather have Geno
Cousins - playoff track record sucks
Garapollo - I kinda like the guy but we'd still need a starter after he inevitably goes down
Dalton - At this point in his career he's not Batman any more. He's Robin. He's a sidekick.
Carr - I hope not, but if Rodgers ends up Las Vegas, I have a disturbing feeling about this.
Brissett - rather have Geno
Mariotta - rather have Geno
Matty Ice - seems to be fading. I mean, if he could be inspired to have one more great season, then maybe. And maybe Pete is the nguy to inspire him. But, I'm highly doubtful. I think Ryan is mentally and emotionally damaged goods.
Mayfield - rather have Geno
Lamar Jackson - will cost too much

Did I leave anyone out?

Oh yeah, there is also Danny Dimes, who may become available. I don't think he is the right guy either.