• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Geno Staying put

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We aren't giving him 40 million a year.
I hope like heck we don’t, I was listening to sports radio and they were saying 35-40 million a year is what he’s gonna go after … what would you feel is a good number ?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1676061677863.png

Young is not very coveted in this poll.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope like heck we don’t, I was listening to sports radio and they were saying 35-40 million a year is what he’s gonna go after … what would you feel is a good number ?

100 million total contract. 40-50 guaranteed money. 3 years. Total number and years might change to make it more cap friendly. AAV in the high 20s to 30.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$35 to $40M for Geno!? Give me a fuckin' break. Just draft whatever QB is available (including Midget 2.0) at this point. If we give Geno anything over $20M per year it's an auto F grade from me.
I can't see Geno foregoing free agency for a $20M/year deal with the kind of season he had. This his first chance in a 10 year career at a big payday, so it would be a surprise for him not to be at least somewhat aggressive with it. I think $30M AAV is in the ballpark, but I bet he wouldn't cost $30M against the cap until the 3rd year of that deal. And with the way the cap increases, $30M might still only be about 12% by 2025.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see Geno foregoing free agency for a $20M/year deal with the kind of season he had. This his first chance in a 10 year career at a big payday, so it would be a surprise for him not to be at least somewhat aggressive with it. I think $30M AAV is in the ballpark, but I bet he wouldn't cost $30M against the cap until the 3rd year of that deal. And with the way the cap increases, $30M might still only be about 12% by 2025.

Geno is going to want the big upfront payday more than the over all contract.

A 45 million dollar signing bonus would TRIPLE his career earnings in one day.

Also, his chances of sticking as a starter and succeeding are dramatically higher with the Seahawks than going off to Colts or Raiders.

And lastly, I would imagine that Geno likely has some gratitude towards Pete. He's already said that he was on the cusp of retirement a few years ago and that Pete got him to stick around.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Also, his chances of sticking as a starter and succeeding are dramatically higher with the Seahawks than going off to Colts or Raiders.

And lastly, I would imagine that Geno likely has some gratitude towards Pete. He's already said that he was on the cusp of retirement a few years ago and that Pete got him to stick around.
A 45 million dollar signing bonus? The hell with that. If that is what it takes, let him walk and the Seahawks will make due with a rookie and a vet, maybe Lock, maybe someone more seasoned. 45 Million $$$$$$$$$$ signing bonus is crazy talk.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yep, I've been thinking $40M SB, which is only an $8M cap hit per year on a 5 year contract. Lower base salaries the first couple years, and it's easily affordable despite what some posters here might say.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 45 million dollar signing bonus? The hell with that. If that is what it takes, let him walk and the Seahawks will make due with a rookie and a vet, maybe Lock, maybe someone more seasoned. 45 Million $$$$$$$$$$ signing bonus is crazy talk.

You would say the same thing if I said a 30 million dollar signing bonus. Probably 20 million. You don't want Geno. You want to roll the dice with the draft.

Deshaun Watson got 230,000,000 guaranteed.
Kyler Murray got 103,000,000 guaranteed
Josh Allen got 100,000,000 guaranteed
Ryan Tannehill got 62,000,000 guaranteed

The notion that 45 million "crazy talk" completely ignores the reality of the NFL.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would say the same thing if I said a 30 million dollar signing bonus. Probably 20 million. You don't want Geno. You want to roll the dice with the draft.

Deshaun Watson got 230,000,000 guaranteed.
Kyler Murray got 103,000,000 guaranteed
Josh Allen got 100,000,000 guaranteed
Ryan Tannehill got 62,000,000 guaranteed

The notion that 45 million "crazy talk" completely ignores the reality of the NFL.
3 out 4 of those will be deemed a failure. No need to follow suit.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 out 4 of those will be deemed a failure. No need to follow suit.

Maybe we should pretend that the QB position doesn't matter and just find the most economic choice. I'm sure Drew Lock or Sam Darnold will replicate what Geno did last year.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we should pretend that the QB position doesn't matter and just find the most economic choice. I'm sure Drew Lock or Sam Darnold will replicate what Geno did last year.
You over look Geno career track record which indicates he's a journeyman QB and off a small sample of success want throw a 45 million dollar signing bonus at him. I feel that is unwise and undo's the opportunity trading RW have given the Seahawks. I tend to look at the QB position from a long term view and Geno just doesn't factor in that viewpoint. He's short term insurance and if the cost is as high as a 45 million signing bonus it's not worth it.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You over look Geno career track record which indicates he's a journeyman QB and off a small sample of success want throw a 45 million dollar signing bonus at him. I feel that is unwise and undo's the opportunity trading RW have given the Seahawks. I tend to look at the QB position from a long term view and Geno just doesn't factor in that viewpoint. He's short term insurance and if the cost is as high as a 45 million signing bonus it's not worth it.

I don't overlook it at all. Geno isn't the long term answer. I don't see how a 45 million dollar signing bonus is high. Compared to what? It's all well and good to say Contract X is too high but without a baseline comparison it is largely meaningless.

Pete Carroll is not going to go into the season with a hope and a prayer. If they don't resign Geno they are going to spend money on Carr or Jimmy or one of the other QBs out there. If that fails then they will likely overspend on a QB that is more of a lottery ticket than a good choice. Pete not going to tolerate a punt to 2024. That's just reality.

Granted this is mostly academic as the Seahawks are almost CERTAINLY going to resign Geno sometime in the next 3 weeks.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted this is mostly academic as the Seahawks are almost CERTAINLY going to resign Geno sometime in the next 3 weeks.
We'll see. I'm less sure of that myself. I feel the Seahawks will want a incentive base package and Geno will want to max guaranteed money and so both sides want a agreement but construction of the contract will end up stalling the deal. That's my prediction for what it is worth.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll see. I'm less sure of that myself. I feel the Seahawks will want a incentive base package and Geno will want to max guaranteed money and so both sides want a agreement but construction of the contract will end up stalling the deal. That's my prediction for what it is worth.

I think you have a big misunderstanding on how incentives are structured in NFL contracts. Incentives are icing on the cake, not the core of the contract.

The Seahawks aren't going to offer a contract where Geno will get paid 10+ million if he achieves certain numbers. They just aren't going to do it. No team does it. Geno is not going to expect max guaranteed money unless his agent is an actual crackhead. He is 32 years old and had one above average season in his career. I would assume that Geno's agent knows that Geno is more valuable to the Seahawks than any other team and that the market for Geno is not going to be anywhere close to someone like Herbert or Burrow.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks are not really in a different position than any other team that might want Geno. The team will want to limit guaranteed money and set pay as much as possible on performance, and Geno's side will want to maximize guaranteed money. The only question is if a team will do something slightly silly to land Geno. I don't think the Seahawks will find Geno less valuable than an average team, unless they're enamored of a QB in the draft.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you have a big misunderstanding on how incentives are structured in NFL contracts. Incentives are icing on the cake, not the core of the contract.

The Seahawks aren't going to offer a contract where Geno will get paid 10+ million if he achieves certain numbers. They just aren't going to do it. No team does it. Geno is not going to expect max guaranteed money unless his agent is an actual crackhead. He is 32 years old and had one above average season in his career. I would assume that Geno's agent knows that Geno is more valuable to the Seahawks than any other team and that the market for Geno is not going to be anywhere close to someone like Herbert or Burrow.
I went on record as saying 20 million plus incentives so not sure why you bring up 10 million and incentives. What I propose gives the Seahawks some protection if Geno plays badly while allowing Geno to be paid well if he preforms. Seems like a win win to me. No need to follow failed contracts for medicare QBs given out around the league. 20 million and incentives that is where I would draw the line.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Seahawks are not really in a different position than any other team that might want Geno. The team will want to limit guaranteed money and set pay as much as possible on performance, and Geno's side will want to maximize guaranteed money. The only question is if a team will do something slightly silly to land Geno. I don't think the Seahawks will find Geno less valuable than an average team, unless they're enamored of a QB in the draft.
TBH I don't care how other teams value Geno, I care about the Seahawks being smart here and not over paying for Geno and I certainly feel giving Geno a 45 million signing bonus is over paying.