• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FA's or trades the Los Angeles Lakers should pursue in the offseason

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How do you know Gilbert required a longterm deal. Did he tell you? Might have settled for picking up his option or just a 1 plus 1. Stopped reading after that, as I cannot imagine the rest got better.

Maybe you should have. Might have learned something.

Common knowledge.

You even said it. Gilbert wanted LeBron to agree to an extension before making any deals involving the Nets pick.

I don’t know if a 1 and 1 would have been enough, but that doesn’t really matter. Neither side was going to blink.

And Gilbert chose the path that he took knowing it would be without LeBron.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every time you say this deal assured Lebron would leave it never gets less absurd. Lebron was going no matter what. Seems obvious.

First you say the Cavs lose because they will be mediocre with no chance to get better with that pick...now you rip them because they are terrible and able to get another high pick?
rather contradictory if you ask me.

and its of course true that LeBron was gone at that point. As we have said ad nauseum- they had a deal with a substantial possiblity of being done to acquire George and Bledsoe- but LeBron would not commit to signing.

they werent going to do better than that. a LeBron/George/Love/Bledsoe core.

And any other deal- for the short term- would it have gotten them close to beating GSW with Durant? The answer of course is no.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no doubt needed one less win, but still could get a top 5 pick or better. They also have 4 still very young players to build around. But agree they wont get far without hitting on a stud in this draft....how it is in the NBA.

Did win a title if you forgot.
Never again, if you forgot.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

and its of course true that LeBron was gone at that point. As we have said ad nauseum- they had a deal with a substantial possiblity of being done to acquire George and Bledsoe- but LeBron would not commit to signing.

And any other deal- for the short term- would it have gotten them close to beating GSW with Durant? The answer of course is no.

I don’t think that deal gets them past GS in 2018 either.

However, if it gets them an extra 1 and 1 for LeBron, it probably is good enough for a title in 2019.

And any other deal that might have gotten LeBron to consider staying an extra year is better than what they have now.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get this back on track, I’m not sure how the Lakers get better letting a ton of guys go to get 1 big mle player.

maybe they can sign and trade Schroeder

but it seems resting up, using the small mle to fill a hole and adding a shooter like Duarte at 22 is the move

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something the lakers could do would be like (Hollinger wrote about this on the athletic)

Harrell (assumed opt in)
Kuzma

for

al horford

you really are pushing your chips in the next 2 years with bron.

but at al gives them a lot of what they need. And is dependable to not be a dnp-cd in playoff games

but the lakers are gonna be in an ugly tax range unless they can get something back for tht after he gets one of those poison pill contracts

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe you should have. Might have learned something.

Common knowledge.

You even said it. Gilbert wanted LeBron to agree to an extension before making any deals involving the Nets pick.

I don’t know if a 1 and 1 would have been enough, but that doesn’t really matter. Neither side was going to blink.

And Gilbert chose the path that he took knowing it would be without LeBron.
what would I have learned? You think your baseless opinions are factual? I already knew that.

Have said both extension and agreed to stay as pretty much the same thing. Either way, seems clear to anyone without an agenda toward Gilbert (or Altman) that nothing the Cavs did was keeping him out of LA. And that's cool....Lebron has that right.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This seems clear with to anyone without some anti-Gilbert/Cav/Altman agenda.

He also is sure they had to move the pick to keep Lebron and agrees they still would not beat GS. THAT is the most absurd comment he makes. They were gonna deal the pick, still lose to GS, have no way to get better (as the pick is gone) and then Lebron signs up to stay?

yeah...makes total sense. Never mind the only deal I ever heard for the pick was for Jordan. Not even sure there were fake deals he could point to that were not made to still lose to GS.

Ya gotta love this forum.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This seems clear with to anyone without some anti-Gilbert/Cav/Altman agenda.

He also is sure they had to move the pick to keep Lebron and agrees they still would not beat GS. THAT is the most absurd comment he makes. They were gonna deal the pick, still lose to GS, have no way to get better (as the pick is gone) and then Lebron signs up to stay?

yeah...makes total sense. Never mind the only deal I ever heard for the pick was for Jordan. Not even sure there were fake deals he could point to that were not made to still lose to GS.

Ya gotta love this forum.

I recall PG rumors but mayby my timeline was off.

that cavs team was gonna have some nice depth if it made the pg trade (and Lebron stayed)

it also had the ever underrated George hill and Q favorite Larry nance jr on it

i think they absolutely win in 2019 if Lebron stayed through his 1 and 1 that year (rather than bolt to la) but yeah an upset of gs would’ve been something. Not impossible though

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think that deal gets them past GS in 2018 either.

However, if it gets them an extra 1 and 1 for LeBron, it probably is good enough for a title in 2019.

And any other deal that might have gotten LeBron to consider staying an extra year is better than what they have now.
And yet even with that deal Lebron wont commit to a 1 plus 1 or just agreeing to pick up his player option.

They are even worse off now if Lebron walks and they didn't have that pick. But to amuse me, please tell me again how they should have dealt that pick to still not win a title and that would have kept Lebron. That's priceless.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope...in fact I don't doubt I wont see one. If you forget. write it somewhere so you don't forget maybe?

people forget how hard it is for small markets to win a title in NBA, as the top FAs don’t go everywhere like they do in baseball.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get this back on track, I’m not sure how the Lakers get better letting a ton of guys go to get 1 big mle player.

maybe they can sign and trade Schroeder

but it seems resting up, using the small mle to fill a hole and adding a shooter like Duarte at 22 is the move
That and are just gonna have to hope for better health.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And yet even with that deal Lebron wont commit to a 1 plus 1 or just agreeing to pick up his player option.

They are even worse off now if Lebron walks and they didn't have that pick. But to amuse me, please tell me again how they should have dealt that pick to still not win a title and that would have kept Lebron. That's priceless.
If Lebron leaves when you’re a clear title contender with him, whatever.

I get both sides of this argument.

hindsight on sexton over a few other guys hasn’t been kind to CLE either.

but I can see both cases. Cause if you trade fir pg and born leaves, you aren’t getting a top 10 pick back. But at least hou gave Lebron every reason to stay.

CLE front office since bron left has justified him leaving imo

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Def giannis

KCP, Kuz, and Dennis get it done

yoooo what do they call that shit you’re smoking? The Cleveland steamer?

(great laker fan joke btw)

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I recall PG rumors but mayby my timeline was off.

that cavs team was gonna have some nice depth if it made the pg trade (and Lebron stayed)

it also had the ever underrated George hill and Q favorite Larry nance jr on it

i think they absolutely win in 2019 if Lebron stayed through his 1 and 1 that year (rather than bolt to la) but yeah an upset of gs would’ve been something. Not impossible though
The PG deal could have been made before Kyrie demanded to go and Griff turned it down. without making the deal that was made, hard to know if they could get Hill and Nance as they were acquired with pieces from the Kyrie deal that ended up being made.

acquiring Nance (and Clarkson) was only done because Lakers wanted to clear cap space for another max player to team with Lebron. At the time it was made, Cavs were likely sure Lebron was leaving so figured why not?

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The PG deal could have been made before Kyrie demanded to go and Griff turned it down. without making the deal that was made, hard to know if they could get Hill and Nance as they were acquired with pieces from the Kyrie deal that ended up being made.

acquiring Nance (and Clarkson) was only done because Lakers wanted to clear cap space for another max player to team with Lebron. At the time it was made, Cavs were likely sure Lebron was leaving so figured why not?

I thought it was that kyrie deal pick for PG.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people forget how hard it is for small markets to win a title in NBA, as the top FAs don’t go everywhere like they do in baseball.
Right...NFL, as well. If you pay them or they can win (or both) players will go anywhere in MLB or NFL.

Guessing the reason is obvious in MLB...no cap and no max contracts. Also not like 1 guy makes the type of difference in either of those sports as it would in the NBA.