• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

FA's or trades the Los Angeles Lakers should pursue in the offseason

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not so sure it was just that. Might also be they didn't think a better player than him would come via FA and why would a team trade a better player than Love to acquire Love?

If you are rebuilding Love is not a guy to build around as a 1. There was no benefit to keeping him. We all saw how Minnesota fared with him as their best player.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not ignoring that at all.

He was very clear that he was going to keep his options open. He never said anything either way about leaving or staying, just that he would make the decision after the season.

It was on Gilbert and the Cavs to shove their chips in the middle to try and convince LeBron to stay longer.

They chose not to do that.

Which made LeBron’s decision very easy. Had they gone ahead and traded for PG and whoever else, it would have been a lot harder for LeBron to leave for a rebuilding Laker team.

Going all in was always more about 2019 and beyond and the possibility to maybe keep LeBron.

But you seem happy with the current result, so enjoy!
as usual...you have baseless opinions and nothing more. Seems more likely he was going to LA no matter what to any reasonable person. Unless you just think Cleveland is a better location for a young guy with a lot of money who has a home and does a lot of offseason work in LA? And if you do, that's as reasonable as some of your other baseless comments.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are rebuilding Love is not a guy to build around as a 1. There was no benefit to keeping him. We all saw how Minnesota fared with him as their best player.
Pretty sure they knew that (like Sexton) they wont go far with Love as a best player. They knew they needed to find that guy in the draft. And if someone like Curry was there for them to take twice and they passed I'd rip them for that.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure they knew that (like Sexton) they wont go far with Love as a best player. They knew they needed to find that guy in the draft. And if someone like Curry was there for them to take twice and they passed I'd rip them for that.

Generally speaking you don't have fantastic odds of getting a 1 at 8 though. I get it happens. You can have a team go straight retard and pick a jump shooter over Donovan Mitchell and have a guy like fall to ya. But odds aren't great.

Meanwhile how the hell could a team watch Luke Kennard play and then watch Donovan and think...give me the white guy?

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as usual...you have baseless opinions and nothing more. Seems more likely he was going to LA no matter what to any reasonable person. Unless you just think Cleveland is a better location for a young guy with a lot of money who has a home and does a lot of offseason work in LA? And if you do, that's as reasonable as some of your other baseless comments.

Of course I don’t think that.

My position all along has been that if there was any remote chance at for LeBron to stay, Gilbert should have tried to get him stay.

That is all.

You seem to think there was no chance.

Which honestly is not rational.

There was no chance after all that transpired in 2018. That does not mean there would have been no chance if Gilbert had made the necessary moves to appease LeBron.

And even 1% chance of keeping him is better odds at title contention than this current group has.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My position all along has been that if there was any remote chance at for LeBron to stay, Gilbert should have tried to get him stay.

That is all.

There was no chance after all that transpired in 2018. That does not mean there would have been no chance if Gilbert had made the necessary moves to appease LeBron.

And even 1% chance of keeping him is better odds at title contention than this current group has.

iirc part of the narrative was Gilbert didn’t want this bull shit 1 and 1 stuff anymore, and since Lebron wouldn’t do anything besides that they punted.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That is all.

Your necessary moves to appease Lebron are nothing more than your usual baseless speculation. You don't know there was a better move to be made for Kyrie...you don't know they get to Finals even with Kyrie (as very likely still has surgery)....you even said no one they could have gotten with the pick to still win the title. That one is still my favorite as you say dumping the pick and still not winning convinces him to stay and now no pick to improve. Priceless.

Yeah...I think we all get there would be no title for a long, long time if ever if Lebron left. difference is you cannot shake the notion he was just gone.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
iirc part of the narrative was Gilbert didn’t want this bull shit 1 and 1 stuff anymore, and since Lebron wouldn’t do anything besides that they punted.
and this is possible....but also just baseless speculation. Gilbert is pretty competitive and also possible he'd have tried for an extra title or 2 even if that's all he was assured of from Lebron.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your necessary moves to appease Lebron are nothing more than your usual baseless speculation. You don't know there was a better move to be made for Kyrie...you don't know they get to Finals even with Kyrie (as very likely still has surgery)....you even said no one they could have gotten with the pick to still win the title. That one is still my favorite as you say dumping the pick and still not winning convinces him to stay and now no pick to improve. Priceless.

Yeah...I think we all get there would be no title for a long, long time if ever if Lebron left. difference is you cannot shake the notion he was just gone.

Interesting that you think my “baseless opinions” are so absurd, yet all the unbiased people who have commented here agree more with me than you.

Wonder why that could be?

He very well might have been gone anyway. But Gilbert waved the white flag and for some reason you Cleveland fans applaud him for it.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting that you think my “baseless opinions” are so absurd, yet all the unbiased people who have commented here agree more with me than you.

Wonder why that could be?

He very well might have been gone anyway. But Gilbert waved the white flag and for some reason you Cleveland fans applaud him for it.
Unbiased people commenting here? That might be more priceless. You've even said you don't like Gilbert which furthers your agenda. Likely the unbiased posters are biased as well.

waved the white flag anyway? They still went back to the Finals AND had a top pick to use. You actually think better to go back to Finals (maybe), lose and have no pick. Not sure if that is more priceless or the unbiased poster comment. Close.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unbiased people commenting here? That might be more priceless. You've even said you don't like Gilbert which furthers your agenda. Likely the unbiased posters are biased as well.

waved the white flag anyway? They still went back to the Finals AND had a top pick to use. You actually think better to go back to Finals (maybe), lose and have no pick. Not sure if that is more priceless or the unbiased poster comment. Close.

You are the biased on here man.

I don’t care about Gilbert one way or the other.

And I think it would be better to make the co-Goat consider resigning with your team rather than pushing him out the door.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was that kyrie deal pick for PG.
it was Kyrie- in a deal where they supposedly got back PG and got Bledsoe as well.

Cavs took it to LeBron about pulling the trigger- and said if he signed a contract to stay- not even a max- just a couple years- they would pull the trigger.

LeBron said no- he would not commit.

of course there is a lot of conjecture here since we of course dont know all the details- but thats the reports that were in the media that I saw.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gilbert's goal was to compete long term Lebron or not he definitely should've moved Kyrie for more of a foundation piece. I get IT just came off leading a Boston team to the ECF but no one mistook him for anything near Kyrie. Or if after the Kyrie deal flipping that first rounder for something. What really didn't make sense was extending Love AND keeping that pick. If you're gonna suck you might as well suck. I guess "fortunately" they still suck with Love.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or if after the Kyrie deal flipping that first rounder for something. What really didn't make sense was extending Love AND keeping that pick.

I wonder if the idea was that they could keep Love, see if they could still be a playoff team, then trade him if they couldn't...but then found out he wasn't as valuable as they thought?

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder if the idea was that they could keep Love, see if they could still be a playoff team, then trade him if they couldn't...but then found out he wasn't as valuable as they thought?

the contract made him less valuable since he got hurt.

I think they got stubborn after losing bron and it cost them.

because love was coming off an all star season. I doubt there was no market for him in a league that values shooting so much

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

because love was coming off an all star season. I doubt there was no market for him in a league that values shooting so much

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. I think you stated it better. Not so much "no market" as "not the market they thought would be there".

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are the biased on here man.

I don’t care about Gilbert one way or the other.

And I think it would be better to make the co-Goat consider resigning with your team rather than pushing him out the door.
you have said otherwise about Gilbert.

agree with that last statement....good thing you have nothing beyond your usual baseless opinions to say they didn't do just that.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was Kyrie- in a deal where they supposedly got back PG and got Bledsoe as well.

Cavs took it to LeBron about pulling the trigger- and said if he signed a contract to stay- not even a max- just a couple years- they would pull the trigger.

LeBron said no- he would not commit.

of course there is a lot of conjecture here since we of course dont know all the details- but thats the reports that were in the media that I saw.
Guy who could have made the deal - Griff - has said that is what happened.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Gilbert's goal was to compete long term Lebron or not he definitely should've moved Kyrie for more of a foundation piece. I get IT just came off leading a Boston team to the ECF but no one mistook him for anything near Kyrie. Or if after the Kyrie deal flipping that first rounder for something. What really didn't make sense was extending Love AND keeping that pick. If you're gonna suck you might as well suck. I guess "fortunately" they still suck with Love.
Only better deal to be made I know was the one just mentioned that Griff turned down before Kyrie asked to be moved. Haven't even heard of a fake trade they could have made after he demanded a trade that they turned down.

as for flipping the first rounder? I recall a rumor of moving it in a deal for Jordan. Didn't like the idea then and looks even worse now.

I can understand why they did what they did with Love. Need a reason for fans to still come and he was coming off a few solid seasons. was pretty good last year, too. I don't think anyone thought he'd drop off like he did this year....but I'm glad he did (hope his one really good game doesn't ruin their pick).

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with that...but without signed past the season the market is lessened. Sure, some teams would risk it and figure they could resign him but some wouldn't. I mean, teams backed off on AD without knowing they could keep him but they were gonna risk it on Love?