• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

expectations from this years draft & free agency

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
What are you expectations out of this year's draft and free agency?
(assume we'll re-sign Alex, Carlos, Goldson).

This are my priorities (#1 is highest);

1) I want us to preferably draft a starting OLB (1st or 2nd round)

2) I want us to preferably draft a starting WR that's 6'3" or taller with at least 4.5 speed (Vincent Jackson is the only receiver I want as a FA, otherwise draft one like Hill or Streeter) (1st of 2nd round) If we draft a bigger WR we could also go after a cheaper guy like Meachem as a free agent

3) draft an athletic TE that can push for the #2 spot (the class is deep)
(use 3rd rounder on one)

4) draft a backup RG that can be a starter down the road
(use 4th rounder on one)

5) draft a backup safety that is good enough to be the main backup, and Spillman would be #4 safety
(use 5th rounder on one)

6) draft a bigger RB that can push Dixon for the #3 job
(used 6th rounder on one)

So:

1st/2nd: OLB
1st/2nd: WR
3rd: TE
4th: RG
5th: S
6th: RB
7th: BPA

If we land the right guys in the draft, I am also content if we don't make a big splash in free agency and just re-sign our own guys.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first thought is that you don't mention 3-4 DE anywhere in your FA or draft wants. We are extremely thin on the DL, would like to draft an heir apparent to Justin Smith in the mid rounds.

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wr can wait til 3rd round when we draft Hemingway 4th round rb turbin

numone9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My first thought is that you don't mention 3-4 DE anywhere in your FA or draft wants. We are extremely thin on the DL, would like to draft an heir apparent to Justin Smith in the mid rounds.

I agree. I wouldn't mind drafting Crick in round 2.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Yes we are a bit thin. 4 deep basically, Smith, McDonald, Soap, RJF. But we could always pick up a 30+ year old veteran maybe on the cheap as a backup for this year. That would make us 5 deep on the DL probably good enough.
Then we still have guys like Dobbs, Williams, and Tukuafu to fill out the backup slots.

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd like to see us with a new starting WR and a huge rookie WR with huge upside.
I'd love to see all our defensive free agents re-signed.
I'd like a punt returner that is good if Ginn isn't brought back.
I'd like Snyder back on the cheap as a backup.
I'd like a new starting RG (Kilgore? Rookie?)
I'd like a future starting FS and at least a future #3 CB amongst our rookies.
I'd like a pass rushing rookie OLB
I'd like to see a rookie RB with future starting potential
and last but not least I'd like to draft Goodwin's eventual replacement

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes we are a bit thin. 4 deep basically, Smith, McDonald, Soap, RJF. But we could always pick up a 30+ year old veteran maybe on the cheap as a backup for this year. That would make us 5 deep on the DL probably good enough.
Then we still have guys like Dobbs, Williams, and Tukuafu to fill out the backup slots.

Another thing to add, is that most DE/DTs take time to develop. It took McDonald and Soap years to become starters, Aubrayo Franklin is another guy who took time. So even though Dobbs, Williams, and Tukuafu didn't blow anyone away immediately, it doesn't mean they can't eventually be quality starters for this team when Justin Smith and Soap need to be replaced.

By the way, I'm talking about DE/DTs that weren't drafted in the 1st round. :) Don't think about 1st round talent DE/DTs like BY or Justin Smith and say that Dobbs, Williams and Tukuafu should be pushing for starting time.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Another thing to add, is that most DE/DTs take time to develop. It took McDonald and Soap years to become starters, Aubrayo Franklin is another guy who took time. So even though Dobbs, Williams, and Tukuafu didn't blow anyone away immediately, it doesn't mean they can't eventually be quality starters for this team when Justin Smith and Soap need to be replaced.

By the way, I'm talking about DE/DTs that weren't drafted in the 1st round. :) Don't think about 1st round talent DE/DTs like BY or Justin Smith and say that Dobbs, Williams and Tukuafu should be pushing for starting time.

I'm not saying Dobbs, Williams and Tukuafu will push for starting time. My main point is right now we are 4 deep on the D line, instead of drafting another guy with a high pick for the D line that will be a backup, I'd rather go out and get some 30+ year old vet as a 1 year backup. A guy like Shaun Rogers/Franklin/Chris Jenkins, some guy that cannot find a job and slips through the cracks and is 30+ years old, but would sign with us because we are a playoff team.

Then we'd be 5 deep along the D line. That's plenty deep for the upcoming season.

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I never have any expectations for the draft because it is such a crap shoot. I have none for free agency either because of the 49ers' horrrendous track record in that area.

I am very optimistic now about our drafts with Baalke and Harbaugh.

Look at last year, it was great:
Aldon, Culliver, Hunter, Colin Jones, Miller.
I think Kap will be good too.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I never have any expectations for the draft because it is such a crap shoot. I have none for free agency either because of the 49ers' horrrendous track record in that area.

for the draft i do, especially when were were drafting #11 or lower. but now we're 30th each round, so expectations has to be tempered. wouldn't go as far as "crap shoot", but do get the gist.....drafting is an inexact science.

not worried so much about positions we draft, it'll get filled best we can in combination with free agents. just lean on drafting the best talent, cause we draft considering their careers, not this season.

for free agency i expect they hit a lot more than miss, cause they have NFL film to evaluate. granted teams overspend for free agents cause thats the nature of free agency. what we hope for is to lessen the amount we overspend? Baalke doesn't appear to chase the biggest FA's, so it reduces the hit IF he makes a mistake.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there are plenty of excellent players at 30sh. sometimes they get taken in the early 20s but almost every year at least a couple with pro bowl potential slip to the 2nd. especially at certain positions.

so i wouldn't expect anything less than a possible pro bowler with our 1st rounder. it really depends on how the draft flows

BallsOfFury

Next man up
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Do you think Melvin Ingram will still be on the board?

Mozart'sGhost

"Floating In My Tin Can, High Above The World...."
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I am very optimistic now about our drafts with Baalke and Harbaugh.

Look at last year, it was great:
Aldon, Culliver, Hunter, Colin Jones, Miller.
I think Kap will be good too.

They did well last year, I agree. It seems so hard for all teams to judge these jkids these days because the good ones are all such prima donna's that you just don't know if they'll work hard enough in the pros.

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
for the draft i do, especially when were were drafting #11 or lower. but now we're 30th each round, so expectations has to be tempered. wouldn't go as far as "crap shoot", but do get the gist.....drafting is an inexact science.

not worried so much about positions we draft, it'll get filled best we can in combination with free agents. just lean on drafting the best talent, cause we draft considering their careers, not this season.

for free agency i expect they hit a lot more than miss, cause they have NFL film to evaluate. granted teams overspend for free agents cause thats the nature of free agency. what we hope for is to lessen the amount we overspend? Baalke doesn't appear to chase the biggest FA's, so it reduces the hit IF he makes a mistake.

Really? I can't remember the last time the 49ers "hit" on a free agent before Rogers.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Really? I can't remember the last time the 49ers "hit" on a free agent before Rogers.

does Justin Smith count? Ahmad Brooks?

some have hit for 'portions' of their time such as Clements, Aubrayo Franklin, and Larry Allen. but again, you expect they'll hit cause free agency isn't a "crap shoot" like the draft.

yes, we've missed on free agents and some "peter out" earlier than we hoped (ex. Clements).

btw - the key word is 'expect', not claiming we have hit more than we missed. i EXPECT them to hit more in free agency, they have NFL tape of these guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ray_Dogg

Troll Hunter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They hit on Alex Smith as a free agent. :)

Mozart'sGhost

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
does Justin Smith count? Ahmad Brooks?

some have hit for 'portions' of their time such as Clements, Aubrayo Franklin, and Larry Allen. but again, you expect they'll hit cause free agency isn't a "crap shoot" like the draft.

yes, we've missed on free agents and some "peter out" earlier than we hoped (ex. Clements).

btw - the key word is 'expect', not claiming we have hit more than we missed. i EXPECT them to hit more in free agency, they have NFL tape of these guys.

I forgot Justin Smith. He was a great pick up, Larry Allen was productive as well. I guess it hasn't been as bad as I thought.