• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NFL Draft

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, for Lance to improve quickly, he needs time back there. Granted easier said than done now that Tomlinson has left.

Now that we signed Ward, yeah the focus shifts more to the O-line.

BTW - I'm one for value when drafting, so wouldn't "force" offensive linemen in Rounds 2 and 3. Just fortunately this draft seems deep enough for offensive linemen.

There is TONS of value from Rounds 2-5 with OL that fit our scheme:

Green Texas A&M
Deitch Ariz St
West Ariz St
Tom Wake Forest
Parham Memphis
Lindstrom Boston College
Johnson Boston College
Walker Penn St

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is TONS of value from Rounds 2-5 with OL that fit our scheme:

Green Texas A&M
Deitch Ariz St
West Ariz St
Tom Wake Forest
Parham Memphis
Lindstrom Boston College
Johnson Boston College
Walker Penn St
After watching a lot of Youtube, i believe they will get decent help for the O-line. Not an instant starter by any means, unless its Round 2, but good back-up and versatility. If value is close all around, take the OT first.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
It's crazy to see that the best comp picks we've gotten lately have been for coaches and FO losses. We'll be getting another 3rd comp next year (losing 2 minorities at once nets three 3rds instead of 2). And we'll end up having extra 3rd rd picks for a few years!

McDaniels = 3rd rd comp pick in 2022 and 2023.
Saleh & Mayhew = 3rd rd comp picks in 2021, 2022, and 2023.

This year, three 3rd rd picks, and next year, 2023, we should have three as well. And that's before we get anything for Jimmy.
Yep, next season we have two 3rd round comp picks again for Coaches/Mayhew.

I would think we'll get comp picks for free agents, cause of the higher value in Tomlinson plus DJ Jones. Charvarious Ward cancels one of these guys but don't think Ridgeway + Burks exceed the other?

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After watching a lot of Youtube, i believe they will get decent help for the O-line. Not an instant starter by any means, unless its Round 2, but good back-up and versatility. If value is close all around, take the OT first.
In this draft, you will be able to find a starting G and C deep into round 3, and there seem to be a lot of guys in this draft that are a.) GREAT scheme fits or b.) Have the athleticism to be good scheme fits. Either way, it benefits the Niners if they keep their focus on it.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think we'll get comp picks for free agents, cause of the higher value in Tomlinson plus DJ Jones. Charvarious Ward cancels one of these guys but don't think Ridgeway + Burks exceed the other?
So far, we've lost Tomlinson, DJ Jones, Mostert, Compton, Sherfield, and Cannon. We've signed Ward, Ridgeway, and Burks.

6 lost, 3 signed. Right now, that means, at most, we're getting 3 comps--we lost 3 more than we signed.

Cheap signings like Burks and Ridgeway likely cancel out 2 of the cheaper losses, ala Sherfield and Cannon or Compton and Mostert. The big question will be whether Ward cancels Tomlinson or DJ--b/c Tomlinson's loss could get us a 3rd, but DJ looks more like a 4th.

Last edited:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So far, we've lost Tomlinson, DJ Jones, Mostert, Compton, Sherfield, and Cannon. We've signed Ward, Ridgeway, and Burks.

6 lost, 3 signed. Right now, that means, at most, we're getting 3 comps--we lost 3 more than we signed.

Cheap signings like Burks and Ridgeway likely cancel out 2 of the cheaper losses, ala Sherfield and Cannon or Compton and Mostert. The big question will be whether Ward cancels Tomlinson or DJ--b/c Tomlinson's loss could get us a 3rd, but DJ looks more like a 4th.
I would think Ward cancels Tomlinson as both were starters and played all last season?

Don't think Mostert will count much if at all because he hardly played in 2021. Play time is a factor in valuing free agent compensation. Compton will add to our ledger even if he didn't start all season. Compton started enough games to make a difference so will say he 'cancels' Ridgeway. Ridgeway was a rotational player along the D-line.

Sherfield was STs same as Burks, i would think they 'cancel' each other too? Cannon was a ST'er too i believe, so we should be positive here?

This leaves DJ Jones which i will guess nets a 3rd round comp pick and at very least, a 4th rounder.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't comp picks determined by the contracts they sign?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Aren't comp picks determined by the contracts they sign?
  • Comp picks are based off a team losing more (or better) free agents over the previous year than ones they acquired. The picks are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors, and they are awarded through the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

So yes, the contracts (ie salary) is a factor.

I don't think Mostert had a 'big' salary so we won't get comp credit for him. Compton had decent playing time so think he'll generate some credit.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would think Ward cancels Tomlinson as both were starters and played all last season?

Don't think Mostert will count much if at all because he hardly played in 2021. Play time is a factor in valuing free agent compensation. Compton will add to our ledger even if he didn't start all season. Compton started enough games to make a difference so will say he 'cancels' Ridgeway. Ridgeway was a rotational player along the D-line.

Sherfield was STs same as Burks, i would think they 'cancel' each other too? Cannon was a ST'er too i believe, so we should be positive here?

This leaves DJ Jones which i will guess nets a 3rd round comp pick and at very least, a 4th rounder.
Ward could cancel Tomlinson--yes, both starters, but I say that primarily b/c their contracts have a similar AAV.

True, the cheap signings and losses might not count either way. The comp formula has a floor in it, and players falling below that floor end up not counting.

I agree on Jones--if we get a comp for him, it should be a 4th at worst.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Looks like this mock was made BEFORE we signed Charvarious Ward? I'm for Best Player so adding another CB and NB might turn out to be the case? If these guys are top value on the board ok with me, especially a 'perfect' fit at NB. Otherwise, all else value being equal or close in value, i think we need an OT first.

Round 2, Overall Pick 61

Reuter has the 49ers selecting edge rusher Cameron Thomas out of San Diego State with their first pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Thomas registered 71 tackles, 20.5 tackles for a loss, 10.5 sacks, and a forced fumble through 14 game appearances as a junior in 2021, per Sports Reference. He recorded 155 tackles, 39 tackles for a loss, 20 sacks, two passes defensed, and a forced fumble through his three collegiate seasons.

The 6' 4 1/8" and 267-pound Thomas had 24 reps in the bench press at the NFL Scouting Combine. Thomas' other measurables include an arm length of 32 1/2 inches and hands measuring 10 1/4 inches.

Thomas didn't run the 40-yard dash at the Combine after reaggravating the hamstring injury that kept him out of the Senior Bowl.

Round 3, Overall Pick 93

Reuter has the 49ers moving to the defensive backfield, addressing what many consider a significant need by selecting Texas cornerback Josh Thompson.

Thompson registered 34 tackles, one tackle for a loss, two passes defensed, an interception, and a touchdown through nine game appearances as a senior in 2021. He recorded 108 tackles, five tackles for a loss, seven passes defensed, two interceptions, and a touchdown through his five seasons with the Longhorns.

Thompson's NFL Scouting Combine measurables include a 5' 11 1/2" height and 194-pound weight. He had a 40-time of 4.4 seconds. Thompson's arm length measured at 30 7/8 inches and his hands at 9 3/8 inches.

Round 3, Overall Pick 105

The 49ers double-dip at cornerback by selecting Marcus Jones out of Houston, who could be an option at nickel. San Francisco lost K'Waun Williams in free agency.

Jones registered 47 tackles, one tackle for a loss, 13 passes defensed, five interceptions, and a forced fumble through 13 game appearances as a senior in 2021. He recorded 153 tackles, five tackles for a loss, 31 passes defensed, nine interceptions, a touchdown, and a forced fumble through his four collegiate seasons.

Jones did not participate in drills at the NFL Scouting Combine after having surgery on both shoulders.

Round 4, Overall Pick 134

Lastly, Reuter has San Francisco selecting Florida A&M safety Markquese Bell.

Bell recorded 95 tackles, two sacks, and an interception through 12 games with the Rattlers in 2021, per Florida A&M's athletics site.

At the NFL Scouting Combine, the 6' 2 1/8" and 212-pound Bell had a 40-time of 4.41 seconds, a vertical jump of 36.5 inches, a broad jump of 123 inches, and a 20-yard shuttle time of 4.46 seconds. Bell's other measurables include an arm length of 32 3/8 inches and hands measuring 9 3/8 inches.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like you said, i could see a tackle, b/c we McGlinchey in his last year here and no proven anything behind him. BUT, seems to me that OC could be just as big, if not bigger, a need.

With Ward signed at CB, I'll be surprised if we don't take a safety rather early on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Like you said, i could see a tackle, b/c we McGlinchey in his last year here and no proven anything behind him. BUT, seems to me that OC could be just as big, if not bigger, a need.

With Ward signed at CB, I'll be surprised if we don't take a safety rather early on.
Yes, it could be argued either OT or OG is the bigger Need, maybe even C? I'm hoping the value is OT because this is the hardest O-line spot to fill. Typically, by the end of the 2nd round there won't be a good OT prospect, but watching Youtube this is a deep enough draft where a starting prospect might be there. Maybe not start game 1, but start sooner rather than later.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, it could be argued either OT or OG is the bigger Need, maybe even C? I'm hoping the value is OT because this is the hardest O-line spot to fill. Typically, by the end of the 2nd round there won't be a good OT prospect, but watching Youtube this is a deep enough draft where a starting prospect might be there. Maybe not start game 1, but start sooner rather than later.
You could be right on OT. It's like McGlinchey is a lock to get resigned. He's been good in run blocking, but his pass blocking is too often below average. If the team could do it over, I think they'd pass on his 5th year option. So, OT could be a much higher than I think.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Without ANY info on McGlinchey, this is the kind of O-linemen we need. A linemen who can play right OT but back-up inside if necessary. If we look at him as an OT, then he could be Best Value at #61, maybe?

Round 2, Pick 61: Kentucky OL Darian Kinnard​

USATSI_17827071.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports
It’s pretty easy to see the 49ers going after an offensive lineman early in this year’s draft. Especially a player like Kinnard who played right tackle in college. He could either kick inside to try and win one of the two guard spots, but he gives them another option at right tackle if they need to move on from Mike McGlinchey after this year. Kinnard has NFL size at 6-5, 322 pounds with 35-inch arms, and his physicality should translate well in a run-heavy offense like San Francisco’s.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

Whelp, i guess this isn't so surprising, so now it appears the odds are low McGlinchey returns AND plays well. He never reached his draft status IMO, he already hit his ceiling.

If we get to #61 and there is no clear 'best value', seems a RT is the pick? Ordinarily, the odds of a quality OT this late are very low, but this class has some depth to it. The odds are still low but not totally out of reach. Also, not sying a late 2nd round rookie will come in the play well right away either, but someone with decent potential beats no one. We can only hope he improves as the season goes on.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
https://ninerswire.usatoday.com/lis...***********&utm_medium=dt&utm_campaign=affref

This is true of almost every season, the previous draft class should make more difference in the upcoming season.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Picks tonight for Day 2, Rounds 2 and 3.

B/c the Qbs fell out of Rd 1, they're gonna start going in rd 2 and 3, so the Niners have a better chance of a player we need falling to the right place.

Gotta be looking at OT, OG/OC, S, DT, CB. The best OC in the draft is already gone and there was a Rd 1 run on OTs and WRs, so I could see us starting off with a DB or DT.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I'm very happy with the Niners draft board/process

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oline is gonna be intriguing going into training camp
Is using the word "intriguing" a nice way to say unsettled?
There's still couple of centers worthy of drafting day 3