• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 NFL Draft

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. TDP - Ok good, if true this makes the pick more sensible. Protecting Trey Lance is huge and having a good blocking RB is a big part of that. Again, not saying TDP isn't a good player but think a lot of people feel he could've been had a few rounds later. ie the complaints are his value, not his talent.

Anyway so i'm thinking about this value and find my ranting isn't even necessary?! If they passed on TDP and drafted Gray followed by Burford, woudn't they have drafted TDP in the 4th? So then i'd be ok with TDP's 4th round value but in the end, we drafted the same players.

TDP consistently put LBs on their asses in pass protection. Chapman said he graded TDP as the top pass protecting collegiate RB he's ever broken down film on. That helps keep TDP in the game down in crunch time. Chapman also said that TDP has the Derrick Henry effect, where his best work in done in the 2nd half of games, when he wears the defense down. He also recently said he would be playing at around 220 for the Niners, up from the 211 he was at the Combine.

I'm pretty happy overall w the draft. Jackson is a beast who I am confident will excel under Kourecek. Gray is a true speed guy we haven't had since Goodwin. TDP is a prototypical 1 cut RB that Shanny loves. Burford is both extremely athletic and extremely versatile, Womack is a GREAT NB pickup with some serious coverage ability. Not sure about the kid from Fordham, but they were high on him for a reason so in Lynch/Shanny we trust.

Frankly, I was more excited about their UDFA grabs then I was the draft outside of the the 2nd round. O'Neal will be a force at S, West as a UDFA C is a HUGE get. Poe is a versatile athlete who can be molded. Atkins has some juice.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TDP consistently put LBs on their asses in pass protection. Chapman said he graded TDP as the top pass protecting collegiate RB he's ever broken down film on. That helps keep TDP in the game down in crunch time. Chapman also said that TDP has the Derrick Henry effect, where his best work in done in the 2nd half of games, when he wears the defense down. He also recently said he would be playing at around 220 for the Niners, up from the 211 he was at the Combine.

I'm pretty happy overall w the draft. Jackson is a beast who I am confident will excel under Kourecek. Gray is a true speed guy we haven't had since Goodwin. TDP is a prototypical 1 cut RB that Shanny loves. Burford is both extremely athletic and extremely versatile, Womack is a GREAT NB pickup with some serious coverage ability. Not sure about the kid from Fordham, but they were high on him for a reason so in Lynch/Shanny we trust.

Frankly, I was more excited about their UDFA grabs then I was the draft outside of the the 2nd round. O'Neal will be a force at S, West as a UDFA C is a HUGE get. Poe is a versatile athlete who can be molded. Atkins has some juice.
Interesting comments on the UDFAs.

Many of the Niner fans would've been happy to land West in the 5th or 6th, so getting him undrafted is a huge get. Since we still don't know about Mack, it would be a good thing if West can start--one of the few times (if any) in Shanny's coaching career he'll have had a rookie center.

I think O'Neal will surprise in camp and do well as a backup and special teamer at first. His biggest drawback was his lack of footspeed. A slow safety has to either play in the box or at LB (ala the way we moved Marcel Harris to LB).

Unless Poe really shows well in camp, I think he's headed to the PS. He moves really well for a guy his size and he has a huge work ethic, so I think we'll see him on active at some point--he can be a backup OG/OC as well as doing a little blocking TE and FB work--the man can move, slide, and shift. Like you said, he's moldable.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting comments on the UDFAs.

Many of the Niner fans would've been happy to land West in the 5th or 6th, so getting him undrafted is a huge get. Since we still don't know about Mack, it would be a good thing if West can start--one of the few times (if any) in Shanny's coaching career he'll have had a rookie center.

I think O'Neal will surprise in camp and do well as a backup and special teamer at first. His biggest drawback was his lack of footspeed. A slow safety has to either play in the box or at LB (ala the way we moved Marcel Harris to LB).

Unless Poe really shows well in camp, I think he's headed to the PS. He moves really well for a guy his size and he has a huge work ethic, so I think we'll see him on active at some point--he can be a backup OG/OC as well as doing a little blocking TE and FB work--the man can move, slide, and shift. Like you said, he's moldable.

I see the back of the draft and UDFA as developmental players that are back of roster/PS that can be molded. Shanny, for the most part, redshirts his rookies either way. I'd love to see Poe develop into an amazing pulling guard.

Sandisfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I know there was some sentiment for getting an RB who could run outside and around end but with TDP being a possible great blocker with the threat to quick hit up the middle would that make it easier for Deebo for his end arounds with the fake to TDP or even a second fake to Deebo then an open throw to another receiver? I guess we will see from Shanny in the end.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know there was some sentiment for getting an RB who could run outside and around end but with TDP being a possible great blocker with the threat to quick hit up the middle would that make it easier for Deebo for his end arounds with the fake to TDP or even a second fake to Deebo then an open throw to another receiver? I guess we will see from Shanny in the end.
If TDP is in fact a good pass protector, that is huge for Lance and downfield passing. That certainly helps his case for being drafted in Round 3.

Yeah, i was hoping they'd draft someone who'd potentially run outside. Maybe defenses caught up with it because only Mostert could do it well.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it as tools in Shanny's schematic toolbox. If TDP fits a need, I can't wait to see what Shanny has in store.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If TDP is in fact a good pass protector, that is huge for Lance and downfield passing. That certainly helps his case for being drafted in Round 3.

Yeah, i was hoping they'd draft someone who'd potentially run outside. Maybe defenses caught up with it because only Mostert could do it well.
I feel that we, as Niner fans, took Mostert's HR ability for granted bc his injuries took him "out of sight, out of mind". His speed at the RB position was unlike anything I have ever seen before here in SF. Idk if we will find a guy with the mix of vision, acceleration, and speed that Mostert had.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I feel that we, as Niner fans, took Mostert's HR ability for granted bc his injuries took him "out of sight, out of mind". His speed at the RB position was unlike anything I have ever seen before here in SF. Idk if we will find a guy with the mix of vision, acceleration, and speed that Mostert had.
Agree and in particular his HR ability was from those outside runs.

Initially i thought it was all about scheme but then no one else could do it.

DurbanPoison2121

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree and in particular his HR ability was from those outside runs.

Initially i thought it was all about scheme but then no one else could do it.
To be even clearer, we got spoiled by Breida occasionally taking one to the crib. From him, we then saw Mostert take a step up from what Breida was doing and I think the expectation from that point on was "plug and play". We have found (see Sermon) that "plug and play" RB isn't as simple as we have seen in the past.